SOLVED: Hosta ID please :)

(Zone 6a)

Hi, Could I get an ID on this hosta?

Thanks,
Steve

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
Aurora, IL(Zone 5b)

I have one very similar I don't know what it is.

It looks very similar to Night Before Christmas, except the leaves are rounder

Kathy

Thumbnail by kd60504
Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

Lovely Photo!

Laura

Dallas, TX

Could be White Ray...

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Could be Risky Business or Lakeside Spellbinder

(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone! I'm going to check them in plantfiles right away!

Steve

(Zone 6a)

Pretty sure it's 'Lakeside Spellbinder'. Does anyone know if this is an old or new cultivar? The one I have has been around at least 15 years.

Steve

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Steve,

The Hosta Finder says 1997. M. Chastain

(Zone 6a)

Darn, I guess it's not that one then :(
I did find this photo under 'Night Before Christmas' that looks just like mine.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/16970/
What's the age on this one?

Thanks,
Steve

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Nice pic Steve, Looks like I'm right there looking at it!!

Deb

Aurora, IL(Zone 5b)

I'll take a pic of mine this weekend and post it. It's one of the first hostas I planted at this house, before I knew how important it was (pre-addiction) to label them.

Kathy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Where can one find out how old a hosta variety is? (Internet source preferably)

A friend of mine has a hosta which she has had since about 1980. She got it from a neighbour when she lived in New Brunswick and brought it back to Ottawa with her. She has a lot of it and is willing to share. I have pics taken earlier this evening, but have not yet downloaded them but it looks very much like the Night Before Christmas mentioned above. When I get the pics downloaded, I'll start a new thread to try to identify it, but I suspect the age of the plant will be an important factor.

Ann

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Ann,

I'm not sure where the site is that tells when each one was introduced. I have seen one before,,I'll have to look for it.

Kelly

Found it,,,here's the link. Lots of great info here http://www.giboshi.com/index.htm

This message was edited May 18, 2006 10:48 PM

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

That's a great site, I bet I will be spending a lot of time there.

Probably finding so many more to add to my wish list.

I need to update my 'have' list, I am way behind on doing that.

Susan
=^..^=

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Susan,

I will too. I want to get all the info on all of mine. Will be a lot of work,,,but a good kind of work.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Kelly. I'll have a good look. And I'll still post the pics a bit later.
Ann

Silex, MO(Zone 5b)

I just thought of something cool for a "collection area"- find the cultivars from your birth year. :) Back to the co-op I go LOL. ;)

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

bec,
That is a cool idea.

Dallas, TX

I doubt they would have anything this old! Kelly thats a great site, really education. I need to start working on my list too. I am thinking about creating a website, this way I can have pictures and info. I think!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Sylvia,

Yes, it really is. I came across it surfing one day,

Was gone all weekend. HOw did everything go with your hip?

Dallas, TX

Oh Boy am I glad to see you back! Susan and I had to figure out things all by ourselves ... I got so confused, I had to call her. lol If you had been here we were going to do a conference call. lol

The Hip ... is ok .... its my groin thats in pain! I think thats where they went in with the needle. Susan says she has had one of those Aspriration Injections and they are painful for a while. Yesterday the temp tooth from the root canal fell out! Oh Lordy its always something. lol

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,,you both are so funny,,,,I just love you guys!

glad the hip is o.k. but sorry to hear about the pain otherwise. Hopefully it will subside soon.

And then loosing the temporary from the root canal,,,,ouch. Hope you can get into your Dentist right away.

(Zone 5b)

I saw a similar hosta over the weekend and decided to see what I could find out before I bought it. Here's something interesting from the Hosta FAQ:

"..... over time (years) the stripe may narrow and then disappear to produce one of "the green ones," notable because the green form ('Undulata Erromena') is more vigorous and will look like a very different plant. Note also that there are some newer hostas on the market ('Fire and Ice,' 'White Christmas,' 'Night Before Christmas') that bear a strong resemblance to Undulata types, but these grow much more slowly and are not likely to be found in typical gardens."

http://hostafaq.westside.com/wsContentPublisher/story.view?RowId=35

http://members.lycos.nl/hooijer/changing/Undulata.htm

Hey Sylvia - I'm glad you're back and doing fine!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

hey sylvia, I guess maybe we could make our collection our birth year plus 50. LOL

Ann

Dallas, TX

I hear ya! Did I tell you guys about the Sciatica I was suffering before the procedure? actually it was worse than the hip thingey. I woke up every two hours to take pain meds so my left leg would not throb, Well that is completely gone. I had forgot about un til one of my coworkers asked me about it. So i do have a lot to be thank for....
.... I will probaly be able to "do it" soon ... as my doctor put it! lol

This message was edited May 31, 2006 8:39 PM

Avon, NY(Zone 5b)

Sylvia,
So sorry to hear of all the pain you've been going through. I must have missed what you had done to your hip,so hope all is ok there. but I do know sciatica is not nice can be very painful. Hope you feel better soon.

Elaine

Dallas, TX

Thanks Elaine I am doing better everyday. Another terrible happen today, I came home to find they had cut the big trees that were hanging over in my Court. I jumped out the car in a panic, ran to the back door and just stared outside for fifteen minutes, then I just sat on the sofa for another fifteen minutes to look for all the positive in this. The tree did need the trim, they were terrible. It could have been worse, they could have cut both trees down. Oy vey!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Sylvia,

If they keep cutting down your trees, you're going to have to start collecting plants for sun,,,,hmmmmm, wonder what you could do with all of those nice hostas??????

Dallas, TX

No way Kelly! They did not cut them down, just cut them back! where I have the shelving unit is plenty of shade. I might have to drape shade cloth on the others, but I will see this weekend. you are not getting my Hostas! Yet! LOL

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

You know me So well,,,,lol

(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone for your help on this, I'm pretty sure it's Night Before Christmas, but I'm not sure. Is there any specie type hostas that look like this one?

Thanks,
Steve

(Zone 6a)

I have one more if anyone wants to take a crack at it :D

Steve

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Might be fortunei Aureomarginata - is it an older variety?

Ann

(Zone 6a)

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's older. I don't even remember when it was planted. I think it's been there at least 10 years.

(Zone 6a)

I checked it in PlantFiles and thats it! Thanks Ann.

Is there alot of Hosta that have strong fragrance? We have another unknown on our patio that's at least 2' tall with an upright habit and solid mid green leaves that are quilted. It blooms late summer and the flowers are pure white and have a strong fragrance. With the scapes it must be 4' tall. Sorry that theres no pic.

Steve

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Steve,,,

That must be plantaginea http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2982/index.html

Kelly

(Zone 6a)

That's it! Everyone here in the hosta forum is so helpful! Thanks Kelly :D
Now all my hostas are ID'd except for a blue one. I think I know the name of it though, I'll have to check. No picture of it either.

Thanks again!
Steve

(Zone 6a)

My blue one is 'Blue Moon'. It just came back to me. I never knew it was a miniture/small type, so that would explain why its never got very big. LOL

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Steve,

You're welcome. We try to get whomever we can over to the deep dark addict side with us,,,LOL No, really, everyone is really nice, very helpful and very generous when trading. Glad to have you with us.

Kelly

(Zone 6a)

Ahh, Thanks Kelly, thats so nice :D
I just added Hosta to my list of gardening wants.

Steve

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.