What are coleus lifespans?? I don't want mine to die !!!!!!!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

ok...so planting all these coleus for a very lush over stuffed look...but you can't have too many....then i hear about over wintering these....which seems to mean taking some cuttings and having to start all over....i don't want to start all over....i want to keep the ones i have....what are their lifespan?;

why do we have to start all over....??

will these grow in a greenhouse?

what is their lifespan?

by the time i get the look i want in the flower beds it is winter....and they die....i can bring them in...but will they live....(wringing my hands)...i am greedy...i am hooked...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I got the Coleus habit from my GM that lived just NW of you in the Happy Union Community.
Oh, my dear you are in the right place and here is the plan.
Grow all summer and in September root several of each of your favorites.
Build shelves across all of your south and east windows to winter your cuttings on. In late January, take cuttings from those and pinch back regularily to get bushy plant for planting outside in the spring. Yes they will grow in a green house, or your house.
Welcome to Dave's garden and welcome to our Coleus forum.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

so why take cuttings .....i can just dig um up out of the yard and bring them in??...will they live inside??

Pearl River, LA

sugarweed boy did I need that advice.....I have never been successfull in holding any coleu over after it gets cold.....I have brought them in....I have taken cuttings and put them in water where they put out nice roots and lived untill just before I could take them outside to plant .....then they die..... I did not think about poting them up ....space is a problem.. If they won't live as a container plant through the winter....does that mean it is just a life span thing or am I doing something wrong......I always buy new plants every year..... and boy am I slow this year....I have only purchased two .....plants are slim pickings in the nursery I visited I got a kong and one other regular type that I like....I do not know the name...I took cuttings and one kong is now four and the otherbabies are struggling but I think I will have a great start of these two soon.....shirleyt

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

here is one of the babies......10 days in.... shirleyt

Thumbnail by shirleyt

sticks,
I guess I forgot the main thing about coleus and that is too pinch off any flower, the sooner the better. What I wrote above was a plan to have bushy plants in your summer garden. As for how long they live. I have some that have come back from roots for 2 years now, but I'm in the East and just about 10 miles from the Atlantic. I also have sand in my yard. Also it only dipped below 30º here 4 or 5 times this last winter. I'm semi tropical. I have 500+ coleus in my yard.
I have many fond memories of playing in the irragation ditches in Hale County and the wonderful taste of the water from there. If I still owned some of my GM's land I would bottle that water and out sell every other bottled water anywhere. I still have cousins in Lockney and Floydada.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

do coleus live all year around where you are?? if not how many plants do you start with to get 500??

small world about texas...you are better off gardenwise where you are.....here we are a blowing dust bowl....arrrrggg

Yes, That's why I live here. I went back to GM's house in October of 2004 after my 40th HS reunion in Amarillo. I thought about using my inheritance to buy back her rock house in the Happy Union Community. The next morning I was on the plains outside of Borger and that COLD WEST TEXAS wind cut right through me.
Suddenly I remembered her words,
"The only other place I would want to live is in Florida because I could grow pretty flowers all year around there."
I came home to my paid for little brick cottage in Jacksonville with NO more remorse!
This year I had some extra $, so I purchsed about 400 mixed plugs in 9 packs and sorted them to plant in mass. I have two Brugmansias circled in solid red coleus, one circled in 'defiance', one in fancy dancer. waves of buttermint or jade wizard.
Wave of lime wizard, wave of blackberry waffle. I have one Brug with a double circle of wizard rose and rose impatients. All the Brugs need a good feeding.
I have big cures of one that came back from last year. I rooted about 50 of that on from 3 one gallon pots
I guess all told I've spent about $300 in the garden this year after I got a $95 refund from a mail order fiasco.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i plan on buying plugs next year...but in the mean time i am trying to figure out if these things will work inside my greenhouse....it doesnt seem like it is going to be easy ?? or will they make it....?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Whoa, there girl.....you did not mention Sidney!!!!!

Sticks....I have my from over 2 years ago and some even survived Hurricane Wilma....but she was sure hard on most. Lost a lot then.

But things are picking up and are ready for another Hurricane....UGH.......................

Hap

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Relax, Sticks.....coleus can survive almost anything....except hurricanes. They have a problem there..lol

Hap

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sugarweed...you are much better off where you are than this god forsaken part of the country...it is alright...but i tell you what ....if my hubbie didn't live here i would be out of here in a moment......i have seen your work in other posts....very impressive...i want more i want more i want more....i guess i belong here...huh??

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

hurricanes and insects....mine are being attacked

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It's OK, Sticks.....you will be fine. You will find out from the forum what and what not to plant and then how to take care of it. Calm down......it will be OK....

Keep in touch here and we will help you out.,,,,,,,Not only with coleus, but anything. We all have broad shoulders here and have been though a lot ourselves.

So, take hold of the reins and stick with us.

One of your new family,

Hap

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

thanks so much!!!!

I sure understand I used to do anything to get into town and off that farm. We'll all be here for you.
Sidney
PS Happy I didn't mention Sidney because I didn't want to confuse her, but I will now.
Happy has a Guiness record for the worlds tallest Coleus. I goaded her into naming it after me and she sent me some cuttings. I had to really whack Sidney back this spring and I have it also surrounding another Brumansia.
Sidney

Are you throughly confused now?
;)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Sugar, I had to have a good talking to "Sidney" also a couple of weeks ago. One big garbage bag went to the curb. Can't stop this one. She sure is a pleasure and so purdy too. The plants not bad either....hehehe

Hap

Here she is,
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Ahhhhhhhh!

:)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sydney is a beaut.....

just went and bought 4 more different coleus.....and cut some branch things off and they are in soil.....24 more...

Ok now we have to have some pictures. If you don't have a digital, then It's time to get one. I suggest a Canon PowerShot. The best you can afford.
Earlier you mentioned Green House. Do you have one sticks? What do you grow there. I know that's big farming country. Are you into farming? The dirt there just smells wonderful to me.
I know I'm nosey.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

will not take some pics...i butchered the heck out of these guys...i thought you were suppossed to take the leaves off and bury that part....which i thought was a node...i went back and re read the thread on doing it and figured out that i am not a good reader....; anyway, got 4 new plants out of my buying trip ....gives me a sigh for a day or two...

i have a sunroom...but plan on a greenhouse some time....i plan on buying the 105 root cuttings next year from ncfarms...i think is the name...in feb...that should give me enuf time to have some decent plants that i can kill;

hubbies family are farmers...i am a novice gardener and mom of two corgis....my hubby works at texas tech ....and we have a couple businesses in crosbyton and ralls...antiquestore/video stores....poor;

may take a pic of my disaster plants...:( i hate it when i do crap like that....

sugar ...you are a legend in davesgarden own mind....been reading about you there....so i will not make you disclose more that i cant read(grin)

a few pics of my abode in this desert:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/607639/

here is the link...not sure how to make it above

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

She is a legend..

Sticks, your home is lovely.

Don't worry about the plants, they will be fine.

Hap

Yes your babies will be fine I think. I use rooting hormone and if I drown them I rescue with Hydrogen Peroxide added to water.

I was born in Lubbock while Daddy was going to school there. My DB also a TT grad as was Daddy. My niece is going there now. Lots of family educated there.

I also looked over your thread and think your place is just breath taking. I love that fence and would just plant some various vines to grow on it.
I left my comment there.

We all know each other pretty well on this forum and are sometimes free with our personal chit-chat. Also very giving with support for each other.

I think it's neat that you are an Antique Shop owner. Is that where you get your screen name?
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

nope my screen name is cause about the only thing i do well are sticks and stones....but really i wanted to open a small gardening store called sticks and stones....thanks sugar for all your help

texas tech was where i was educated also.....first beer...then my degree in computers....then masters in instructional technology......eeeeeeeeee

my antique store is called finderskeepers....will keep you up to date on coleus....;)

I admire your entrapaneur-ship and yes I had many abeer there too. Had to drive from Plainview to Nazareth for beer for my 18th birthday. God has blessed me with my fate here.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

what do you do there in florida besides grow great coleus

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Boy, I can't wait for this answer.

Hap

Well, believe it or not, LOL. I am a heavy construction lady for the last 28 years.
I am a Boilermaker and I travel up and down the East coast repairing the big boilers used for generating electricity. I was a heavy equipment operator before this. I will be 60 in August. In 1975 I had a lunch shop in downtown El Paso called Ms' Mac's Brown Bag. City hall wanted my location so I didn't survive.
I have recently finished the OSHA 500 course and am certified to teach Saftey now. I am hoping to move into being a Safety lady for Boiler Contractors.
My Texas heritage is full of pioneers, so being the first female in these professions for my locale came naturally to me. My hobbies, gardening, sewing and quilting came right from my Texas roots close to your home.
Sidney

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It's all true.....

LOL, Hap. Even threw in some things you didn't know.
Sidney

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

You're right about that. Now tell me about that lunchroom.....

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

ok...hap....since you have included yourself in the conversations that means you have to share now too: please share!!!!(grin)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

What would you like me to share, S&S.......?

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Our Coleus live year round here of course. And we have had the same plants for over 4 years ! Shared it with many neighbors, friends, and family theirs are growing wild too !

Hell Hap and sns,
The sandwich shop was soup, salad and homemade goodies. I opened at 10AM and closed at 2PM. Area was disserted after 5 everyday.
I served Texas style Brisket on fresh homemade rolls. It was when co-ops were everywhere and every 2 weeks I'd call the co-op and have them ground 50#s of wheat into flour. I had hot bacon salad dressing and served family recipe of Meatloaf, and also cornbread every day. Those were my specialities.
I made Texas Chocolate cake with pecans in the icing and 'Sock-it-to-me' cakes.
It was located in the first Mexican Counsul in El Paso. I did the research and got the building put on the National Register of Historical Places.
They eventually tore the building down, so I don't know what happened to it's historical designation.
When you said I was a legend here sns, I hope it's a good thing and not a bad one.
Sidney

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

sticks_ n_ stones: You're getting a little education from two terrific ladies. I've had the privilege of being in Sidneys' company on several occasions and Haps quite a bit more. You will never meet two finer or more generous human beings in your whole life. They help more people in a week than most of us do in a year. If you have the opportunity at some time get to meet them.

Tremax

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

well hap....i guess you need to share some info about you....he he....we don't want you to feel left out:J)

violet....no fair you have had these for 4 years and growing wild......only in my dreams do these grow wild

sugarweed....it is a good thing...:)

tremax; yup these are some great people....great forum:)

sns, here is Nancy, or Happy as we know her; http://www.acfchefs.org/ccf/ccf.html
She's the pretty lady wearing the Toque.
That Coleus we shared a picture of is a sturdy little cuss and just thrives year round for us. I heard a rumor that happy ripped all hers out because it was invasive but I hope not.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

well sugar ....pretty is an understatement...nancy is GORGEOUS...; nancy you are very gorgeous....inside and out....i can tell you are on the inside too....;....okay sugar we shared for her....isn't that nice of us(grin)...nancy ....are your ears burning..???

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.