Desert Rose

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

OK, I've seen all these BEAUTIFUL pictures of Desert Rose and mine looks horrible. I just read on one of the forums, if it's inside, put it out so I know what part of my problem is. However, I don't know if there's any help. Mine has been inside for about 4 years and is a straggly 3 1/2' tall with a very skinny trunk. If I accidentally close my curtains for too long the leaves drop. It has never bloomed. Is there any help now that it is so tall and skinny. Should I cut the top off? Can you do that?

Kristi

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Hi Kristy,
Are you reffering to adeniums?

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Malestrom,

Wow, I wish I could say. I have a lot of succulents and cacti but have never taken the time to learn too much about them. Some are doing superbly wonderful, some are inching by and some, I've just plain murdered.

Let me look up adeniums real quick. Yep, that's it but mine looks nothing like the pictures. My digital died otherwise I'd post a pic.

Poor thing.

Kristi

Check out this link:
http://www.tropicanursery.com/adenium/cultivation.htm#pruning

To thicken it up keep it in a fairly shallow pot and water it well during its growing season.
Feed it balanced NPK
Each year prior to growth lift it about 1 inch and do some root pruning as well.
Keep it in the same pot till it bursts out.
The caudex (body) will swell under the soil.
They like full sun and need plenty of water during the growing season
Cut the tip back to about 4 inches from the main caudex and itll branch nicely.
Do this in the spring prior to the growth spurt and itll flower first then leaf up.
I have many of these, they are wonderful
Im currently working on multigraft trees
4 species all in one caudex.
Purdy dang kool.... 8^)

This message was edited May 28, 2006 11:29 AM

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Aha! Shallow pot. Should I wait until next spring to cut the tip?

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

here's my poor desert rose

Thumbnail by knolan

OOO the poor dear!! LOL!!
Wait till a growth spurt and cut the stem back to about 6 inches at most.
I preffer 4 inches.
It will branch out and flower too.
If you do this in the spring before she leafs out, she should flower first.
At the same time, cut the roots back a bit and repot her into a shallow bowl
Do not transplant untill she outgrows the pot
Keep as much of the caudex as necesarry under the soil untill she swells and grows at the base.
If she already has a substantial base then lift her about 1 inch when you repot her.
lifting as you repot will create the terrific shapes they are known for.
You can find these cheap at HD like $3.- for a 4 inch pot.
The generic cheapies bloom a pretty pink most of the time.
You can spend as much as $40.- for a nice one through a vendor I know.
There is another vendor I know who sells them for about $15.- but much smaller
I am speaking of grafted plants.
Good luck!
Has yours ever bloomed?

A friend from another forum is sending me cuttings of hers, its huge. It smells like rootbeer LOL!!!

This message was edited Jun 1, 2006 10:37 PM

Thumbnail by Malestrom
Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Great info. I'll try it. Alas, it's never bloomed but I had it inside all this time. Took your advice and moved it out on the front porch (gets morning sun) and now I'm thinking it should go out back for more sun.

Should I treat the cut stalk with anything after I cut back to 4"?

I find it difficult to root them here.
You may be able to root the cuttings after letting them callous over.
The cuttings will bloom in time but rarely ever form a caudex.
Keep them if the bloom is remarkable and graft theb into a cheaper caudex from hd or wally world whatever you have there.
Grafting adeniums is a blast. ;^)

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

OK....I'm getting brave.....I'm going to pour a glass of wine, drink it and then go out to the front porch tonight and cut the stem. Send me happy thoughts.

Kristi

Good Luck!!
The sap is dangerous so be careful!!
If you get it on you do not touch your face! ;^)

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Great.....I just had an experience like that last Thursday. I was trimming some bushes and got some weird sap on me......my neck and chest were on FIRE! Had to shower, cover in oatmeal paste, shower again, put aloe on and take a benadryl. Loads of fun, NOT!

Ahh... Benedryl
I always keep a box of it handy
Its a life saver and nap maker too LOL!!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

So, expect a bloom first. I love ya'lls pictures of this plant and just can't imagine my old straggly thing to look that good. Time will tell. Still need to repot into a shallow pot and trim the roots. Weekend project.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Kristi,
How's that baby coming along?

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

It's chugging along. I still haven't found a shallow pot for it but I did put it out where it will receive more sunshine. I sure hope I get those beautiful blooms!

They grow in the deserts of the middle east and africa so dont be shy on the sunshine.
Introduce it gradually and then full sun is a must. ;^)
Heres another pic.

Thumbnail by Malestrom
Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Absolutely gorgeous. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I have some shots of ones in the wild as big as you could imagine.

Edited to say: Note the one in the far right background also. ;^)

This message was edited Jun 12, 2006 11:20 AM

Thumbnail by Malestrom

They are treasured for the caudexes as well as blooms
Here are some shaped ones
I love the 'Budda' in the background
The woven ones are spectacular too

Thumbnail by Malestrom
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

That pic amazes me everytime I see it. Mine bloomed first year AND got seed pods on it...amazing b/c I knew nothing about them at the time. Last year it didn't do as well...hoping this year will be better since I have a clue about it's care...LOL

Here is one with a little genetic defect in flat stems

Thumbnail by Malestrom

Ok last one then off to HD heh...

Thumbnail by Malestrom
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I love those pics, Michael!!! Yeah, off to HD you go...!!! :)

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Those are awesome! I had no idea they could get so big and so twisty. How old do you think that giant one is? I love those woven ones. What a conversation piece.

I have no idear on the age
You can make them stay small by heavy limb and root pruning each spring
Just prior to the growth spurt

Belleville, MI

It's been a while for this thread but what website did these pics come from? I'd like to see more, thanks!

Prineville, OR(Zone 6a)

I have been fascinated with Adeniums (and all caudiciforms for that matter) since I first met one, but I have yet to try to grow them. I'm considering purchasing one or two for my birthday which is comin' up real soon. I've searched DG's garden watchdog and seem to have found some reliable sources, so in the next few weeks I may give it a whirl. I joined the Yahoo! group on Adeniums but it's a little too technical for a beginner, but the photos are lovely. Anyway, if anyone has any tips for an Adenium newbie, I'd love to hear from you.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Adeniums are the easiest to grow....especially where you have hot summers....never water under the temp of 80 degrees....they are everywhere down here as we have a large Asian population on the coast and they grow them everywhere and sell everywhere...I rescued 3 from Walmart....the leaves always drop in the winter....they start dropping below 55 degrees. I am a beginner and just had my first last summer and I want them in every color now. I am shipping the 3 out on trades on Tuesday, but I am sure we will get them all spring and summer. Here is mine from last summer.
then I will show you the three (HA HA) that will be fine in time.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

the three sad ones that will be fine once summer gets here....

Thumbnail by gessiegail
(Zone 1)

I have a question about the Desert Rose. Do they have thorns? I love the look and have been thinking about buying one from Buried Treasures Website, but if they have thorns, I don't want one .... I don't like plants with thorns!

Thanks!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I've never seen one with thorns. They are sooo pretty.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Lin, you have a dmail...
gail

(Zone 1)

Thank You Gail!

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

Plantladylin, Adeniums don't have thorns. However, the species in the genus Pachypodium ("Thick Foot", another genus in the Apocynaceae Family) do have thorns. They are quite alien-looking species - some with "monstrous" forms but with pretty flowers. For instance, Pachypodium succulentum (http://www.cactuscenter.com/Dscn2063.jpg), Pachypodium brevicaule (http://www.botanica.uk.net/images/Cacti/Pachypodium%20brev1.jpg) or Pachypodium saundersii (http://www.baobabs.com/PACsauPL01.jpg).

Best regards,

Martin

This message was edited Feb 16, 2007 11:51 AM

(Zone 1)

Thanks Martin .... Don't know why I thought they all had thorns. That Pachypodium saundersii with the yellow flower is Awesome!

Many years ago I had a Desert Cacti collection - the thorny things! I got so tired of getting jabbed by some of those monsters that I gave them all away! No more thorny plants for me, even though some of them are beautiful!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

MartinDK....learn something new every minute i stay on this site.,thanks so much for sharing

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.