SOLVED: Anywone want to take a stab at this?

First image-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

second photo-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

it looks like honeysuckle vine to me....as much as I have been pulling it off my plants the last week, you'd think I'd know, but I would have to go look at how the leaves grow on the stem to say for sure.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Doesn't look like honeysuckle to me...but do not know what it is.

Oh I have Honeysuckle here all right. I've got everything from the classic Japanese Honeysuckle on to Tartarian and Morrow Honeysuckle and hybrids of everything in between. Although it looked like a Honeysuckle vine, I don't think it is. Something isn't quite right about the leaf attachment.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I figured YOU would know if it were

Why yes, I have a regular breeding ground for Japanese Honeysuckles here. As fast as I can rip them out of the ground, more appear.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Lonicera japonica 'Scheherazade', given the lithe and limber sinuosity represented. Come hither....

EQ, your pics are like a "Where's Waldo?" for spotting invasives. I see some sneaky Rhamnus loitering therein, just waiting for the Glove of Death.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh..so it IS a honeysuckle? Smarty Pants you really are tooo much.

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Hmmmmm,a Google search brings up a Lilium scheherazade, but not a lonicera...?

Las Cruces, NM

Ain't no Lonicera I've ever seen.

Looks like something familiar, but I don't know what. Those leaf bases are kind of weird...

Patrick Alexander

Adelaide, Australia(Zone 10a)

It looks distinctly Euphorbiaceae-ish to me. I'd be looking along those lines.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I go with honeysuckle...I pull them constantly..Forget the kind I have, but it is a red one and blooms continuously..

Larkie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ok, I not very good at this game, but I can rarely resist playing. I think it looks like Trumpet Honeysuckle, Lonicera Sermpervivens http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/36425/

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

I cannot accept L. sempervirens as an answer. The leaves are not right. V.sempervirens does not taper at the base, and does not have those rounded 'knobs'. L.s. has very dark shiny leaves (at least mine does) with a glaucous back.

I'm in the paalexan camp on this one although I don't know what it is. I haven't nuked this plant because I don't know what it is and it is appearing in an area of the property where I removed some big multistem buckthorns last fall so this plant could be a remnant.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

well, do you think it looks like a vine? From the picture, to me it looks like a vine. Have you been spraying any "odd" chemicals in the area-speaking of "nuke"...lol a mutant honeysuckle is going to be my next answer. You know at 3 mile island they had a ton of mutant plants after the "incident"

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

it looks like my wild honeysuckle that is coming up. my alabama red looks like that too sometimes when it comes up.

i say honeysuckle too.

No Tigger, no chemicals in the area. I mostly hand pull seedlings or use the weed wrench and last fall I used a chainsaw on the biggies and then I painted the stumps so the chemical was contained to the exposed stumps and I'm pretty good about not dripping or spilling.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

lol...it was mostly a joke...I seriously think you would know if you had a meltdown in the area! But do you think it is a vine or a shrub??

Beats the heck out of me. I went out there this morning to try to locate it again to take new photos and couldn't find the thing. We had boys running all over these woods yesterday "battling" and it could have becime a casualty. I know the general area where it was so I'll go out and try again. It was growing more upright when I first spotted it but that doesn't mean much.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well it's time for SP to come back and explain his answer.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

lol....I've changed my mind, I'm going for 5 males now...those are some chemicals you got going there!! That...or we are in Alice in Wonderland

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

EQ...do the all belong to you? Wheeew

I agree 100% with EQ; those 5 specimens are NOT Lonicera anything, though they could very well be new invasive individuals. Time will tell...

Count on LL to throw down a gauntlet; OK, I'll bite.

It's opposite; it appears vine-like, and it certainly appears to have vigor. Notice the "clasped-hands" character of the terminal leaves. Anybody (with honeysuckle) seen this trait before? Every new vigorous stem of the three-four species I have here act the same way.

Also notice that the pairs of leaves along the stems vary, substantially, so that if they were cut into segments and presented individually you might not think that they were even from the same plant. Lonicera does that to you. I can find (in the patch of Japanese honeysuckle donated by my neighbors that I'm trying to exterminate) rounded leaves, pointed leaves, dark green leaves, light green leaves, some purple leaves that I hope have a nutrient deficiency, pinkish flowers, white flowers, yellow flowers, green stems, reddish stems, purple stems....I could go on but I bet everyone here who has fought this demon has similar stories. All mine seem to have hairy stems, too.

I don't know that EQ is illustrating Lonicera japonica for sure, but the preponderance of evidence at hand sure leans that way. She has it on the property; it seems to be an oppositely leaved vine; and there hasn't been a reasonable offer of an alternative (short of the Euphorbiaceae-ish comment, which I don't know much of). Lonicera japonica is never supposed to have joined leaf bases; from the pictures, I can't say for sure that is the case. As these plants grow out and flower, all will be revealed.

This has triggered a little perusal of other things, in the meantime, like:

Common (or not) oppositely arranged simple leaved vines

Mitchella repens
Vinca minor
Trachelospermum difforme
Euonymus fortunei
Lonicera japonica
Lonicera sempervirens
Lonicera reticulata (L. prolifera)
Lonicera dioica
Lonicera flava

I'd guess it isn't one of the evergreen vines, so that pretty much leaves just a few honeysuckles to select from (of this list of midwestern residents; feel free to add your own to the soup). So, when the suspect grows out of its youth...we'll all get to see what it is.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

very impressive (as usual)

Ugh, wrong photo. I usually wait to preview an image but I was in a rush.

Here's the correct photo-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

I've got 3 Symphoricarpos albus here and the leaf is different.
Here's another photo-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Here's the last photo I took-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

On a more cheery note, look what I found here while looking for that vine thing-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Aesculus.

OK, that was an SP moment.

wallaby1 triggered a "hmm...wait a minute" thought which had me running up the driveway to the Symphoricarpos orbiculatus colonies. Having seen this small shrub mowed off occasionally, and vigorous resprouts, and similar leaf morphology, and fellow Caprifoliaceae member, I just had to look.

True to its affiliation, it has opposite leaves but I hadn't taken the time to notice it also performs the "clasped hands" ritual on the new growth tips. It does not, however, match up with the other details evident in EQ's pictures. Note, from the first two pics, that there is an encircling raised ring around the stem where the petioles attach (the uppermost open set of leaves show it best in picture #2). That goes quite well with my beloved Lonicera vines and is absent from the Symphoricarpos orbiculatus. Still......

I'm holding on like grim death.

In the end, we're all going to learn something, even if it is to NOT hold on like grim death. Now, there's a grilled duck breast calling my name.

Las Cruces, NM

"You missed a couple, Lonicera maackii and L. tatarica."

But those aren't vines, they're shrubs...

Patrick Alexander

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Stilll a honeysuckle, and the invitation was to add to the soup....besides, we are not sure it is a vine. Symphoricarpus starts looking very much like a vine but ends up shrubby, so lets keep an open mind...

Positive input is what we are looking for to identify, throw some thoughts about and it can lead to a positive result...

Way to avoid the grim death, wallaby1! Yes, stay positive.

Now, we have to wait till the Great White North warms up enough for this devil to bloom...

What I have most probably isn't japonica, maackii, or tatarica; Lord knows I have enough representations of those three still here on the property for comparison. I do have one itsie bitsy dioica that I actually planted and the leaves are no where near as large as those on the plant I photographed that I am trying to get an id on. L. flava, sempervirens, and reticulata all appear to have different veining in that they start out pinnate and about half way through the leaf they are palmate when you look at them up close and personal. They are also smaller than the leaves on the mystery plant. The veins on this plant are pinnate although the arrangement of them is the same as the other Lonicera mentioned above. I really don't think this is a Lonicera. I can't tell you why I don't think it is a Lonicera but I don't think it is.

Mitchella repens is an evergreen but the leaves on that are very tiny. Vinca minor is also evergreen and about 1/3 the size of the leaves in this plant but I can spot them from a mile even with garbage vision. Trachelospermum difforme was one I had to look up. The leaves on that do have the same venetion and the arrangement is the same however the leaves are considerably more lance shaped as opposed to being obovate. That Trachelospermum difforme looks like a vine I would like to buy to plant over here. I've never seen that before and it is quite attractive. Euonymus fortunei is another one that I can spot a mile away even with bad eyeballs.

I will let one or two of these plants stay in my ground to grow on to see any blooms. I get the distinct impression (based on having found about 20 of them in the general vicinity) that this is not a plant I want hanging around.

Why can't any of the plants I want IDs to ever be easy?

Mermentau, LA(Zone 8b)

I'd be interested to know if when you pull a leaf off, a milky sap exudes. The wondeful thing indeed would be to have a picture of the bloom. It looks really familiar to me (and if so, you don't want it) and I agree it doesn't seem like a honeysuckle of any sort to me.

Rosemary

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

it looks like something in the milkweed family to me.

Let me run outside real quick. I might make it out there with a flashlight to check for a latex substance. Be back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.