PLEASE Keep track of your 10 earliest blooms_____

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Carrie. If you were another dahlia, you would think they were all stunning!! :^)

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

A leaf is a beautiful thing! Along with the roots, It is the giver of growth that will feed and nourish your flowers. I like how so many of the dahlias leaves vary: pointy, lacy, very jagged, teensy little jaggedness, dark color, paler color, some purple, some variegated even.

Carrie, I returned a Dmail to you, BTW.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

A must have for every dahlia garden - and believe it or not the one that gets noticed the most is Bumble Rumble. It is one of the earliest and blooms until the very last. A 4" collarette and the bumble bees do love them. They look like cartoon flowers.

Thumbnail by doss
Aptos, CA

OHHH Doss, I LOVE Bumble Rumble!!! I put 2 in this year, hope they bloom!!!

So sweet!!!!!!!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

My top early ones are:
- Park Princess
- Skywalker
- border dahlias, of course, got quite a few blooming now
- Lauren Michele (how about that, Annie?)
- unamed yellow one
- Lupine Dixie
- Patty Cake
- Taylor Rae

So far......

Am trying to take pics but has been either too windy, dark, or rainy. So.....

Carol

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

"Lauren Michele (how about that, Annie?)"

My jaw is dropping! My Lauren Michelle from you TYVM is about 6 inches high LOL! We've been struggling to hit even 60 degrees here. Watch the US weathermap- Seattle has been the coolest, except for Maine a couple of times, and our area is cooler still by up to 12 degrees. The dahlias are growing by millimeters, if that. But in July they should take off.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Is that why they have such a short season??

xxxxx, Carrie

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Doss, I missed your Bumble Rumble posted above, and I love it too. The supplier I ordered it from was out, unfortunately. Maybe next year. It is a beauty!

Carrie, I'm not sure what you mean by short season. Dahlias have one of the longest blooming season of any flower, I think. Rudbeckia might be another but not nearly as varied or attractive in my opinion. Not nearly as much work either!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Annie,

I think I mean that period from planting until blooming is long. Remember you and I were talking about ways to speed up the first bloom, and that's why I planted my first babies in pots? I guess I don't really have any idea how long they stay in bloom once you manage to get them in bloom! Or didn't. Anyway, I have no room for any more perennials so I am all about pots full of annuals [and dahlias] this summer.

xxxxx, Carrie

Once my dahlias start to bloom, they don't stop until frost. Or until a hail storm destroys the entire bed like what happened last year.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Gotcha Carrie: right you are too. 70-90 days to bloom time seems an eternity. But THEN the bloom show is on for a good long time!

I thought that short season meant from the last frost to the first frost, which is some areas would be a very short time period, like three months or so, so the plants have to hurry. A long growing season would be just the opposite, where things would start growing in say early March and go on until October. It doesn't have anything to do with how long a particular plant will bloom.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Someone in Iowa won't like seeing this already. Here is Extase, this flower is about 6" from the ground.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Delhi, IA

You've got a bloom____ good for you. I went out to roam the beds and look. Instead I got involved in the vegie garden and am back inside. Humidity very high and sun out. Ground very wet from rain so inside it is for a couple of hours. Grow, dahlias, grow. jam

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

That's a beauty Al. I love the pink edging on the petals. Is the whole plant short by nature, being only 6 inches from the ground?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

It should reach 14-18" eventually. Lots of other flowers close now.

Delhi, IA

I'VE GOT BUDS, Buds and more buds. Haven't been able to walk the patch for 6 days. Tonight I started counting the plants with buds and got to 12 and just quite..Probably twice that many thinking of things to come. Yes, Extase was among them. No color on the buds yet, but give them a week of rain and sun and guess what comes next?

I'm soooooooooo excited!!!!! The chewers haven't found them______ actually I haven't done a thing to them since feeding after planting. And most aren't tall enough to need staking yet.

Aptos, CA

Today, it was Marilyn M...picture soon, I am sick! Had to make myself rest almost ALL day!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Get well Sudhira! Drink lots of fluids and on your way to the bathroom, grab the camera and get some shots of your flowers LOL! Then you can rest at the computer uploading them. That's my care plan for you- love it or leave it.

Really, I hope you on back on your feet soon.

Delhi, IA

Attended the upper midwest master gardeners conference this past week and what a change on the home front. Temps in the high 80's and a good soaking shower and have things popped. I grabbed bags of mulch and spread for the past 2 hours.

Remember as a kid being gone to camp, etc. and coming home to see the corn inches taller and your pet or some of the farm babies (lambs) bigger than when you left. Well that was my discovery in the garden yesterday. The dahlias are about ready for a first tie and I got mulch around most after spreading on the Preen. OK, so without even asking DH turned on the air. To me that's giving in to nature. After all this is Iowa and it's summer!!!!!

One of my 2 plant additions from conference___not a dahlia. Right now I am working on shade gardens (wonder why!!!!) It's heuchera snow angel.

Thumbnail by jamlover
Aptos, CA

Here is Marilyn M:

Thumbnail by sudhira
Aptos, CA

Here is Seedling # 26:

Thumbnail by sudhira
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

jamlover, I know your are in a colder zone than I am, but we do have a short growing season and perhaps not the heat you have, it's just that our lowest temps. are not as low.

I plante my new dahlias in large pots in a greenhouse (unheated) after mid April this year, normally I would do it in mid March but it stayed winter for longer this year. Le Baron was a racer from the start, and it is just opening the first flower, only taking 2 months.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Delhi, IA

Sudhira, Marilyn named after the famous Marilyn??? And the seedling is one you did??
What a cutie!!

Wallaby ___Le Baron is such a rich color. Your camera sure caught it. One of our speakers last week was the famous David Cavanero from Decorah. He has photos in lots of gardening mags. I always figured I needed full sun for best photos, but he showed many taken in early morning or late evening light that were so neat. He feels the color is more accurate then.

Aptos, CA

Hey Jam..I think it is named after the originators wife...Ken Mazurat...I think his wife is Marilyn...

Yes, that is one of my seedlings!! Seed host was Sean C...what fun

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

jamlover, yes the colour is very accurate, and that can be difficult with purples and reds. I have found lately that I can tell if the light is right, and the sun isn't a requirement. It was a very dull day, even with cloud cover if the glare is there through the clouds it still won't give you the correct colour, and often reds and yellows scream at the camera. I have some plants in pots that I have been taking pics of on the north side of an old bath tub pond which is painted black. Even with quite heavy cloud I get a glare coming over the top, so I sometimes shade it with my hand. I often take them just as it's getting dark too.

I have been trying for days to get a correct colour of my Rose Guinee, which is a climber and has been years trying to establish, this year I have a few flowers. I am close, but not quite there. The same with Delosperma, the flowers are a shiny, vivid purple, and it had to be a really dull day to get the colour, but I did it! Reds mostly go much too red, and purple often wash out. I think it depends on which colour pigments a particular plant has too.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pooch - I had this marked as Twilight Time and got this strange flower. There must have must some mishap somewhere. I think both of yours should be right.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh man Big Al : as I live and breathe: that is a photo of Seattle if ever I saw one! You lucky dog. I just saw your "Twilight Time" plant up and at 'em in the lower garden. If it's another Seattle mislabelled, well.... I'll send you a cookie or a dozen cookies; or a dozen tubers! I think Seattle is one of my alltime faves. I'll keep you posted.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

We'll see, I think my tags got messed up early on and we'll see what comes up in Seattle's spot. BTW - my Seattle from last year that was all white will be blooming soon for further intrigue.

Delhi, IA

Great. Someone honored me with a Seattle this spring.
This year I did cuttings. Now it's time to try a seedling. How do you cover it so it only crosses with what you want?
Is there a good info. source for seedlings?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Jam - I'm not sure if I sent you this one - Ludwig Helfert, this one really took off this spring also.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Kept waiting for Bokay to get bigger or open up more, but I guess this is it.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Aptos, CA

OOOHHH Al those are really so pretty!!!!!!!!!!! Hooray

Delhi, IA

Yes, Al, I have a Ludwig Helfert. Pretty bloom. But I'm still waiting for it to open.

Is Bokay a waterlily? Sure a lovely shade.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Bokay should be a WL, I can't find my card and information is limited on it. Small blooms - 4" so far, but a LOT of buds on it.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, I like, I like that Bokay! Al.

I want waterlilies! My favorite.

Thanks for the picture of it.
Carol

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oooh I love the Ludwig Helfert color too. Great work there Al.

Aptos, CA

This morning Camano Rascal began her bloom...

Thumbnail by sudhira
Aptos, CA

One of my seedlings..kinda nice...all opened up...

Thumbnail by sudhira

This is the 6.5 or 7ft tall Soulman I told you about. You can see the edge of the roof. If I get too close, I have to look up too far and only get the bottom of the flower. I let this one grow the way it usually does, but I pinched the other two Soulman plants just to see what happens.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.