PLEASE Keep track of your 10 earliest blooms_____

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

This is the Babylon Red that I disbudded to try for a dinnerplate, which it is supposed to do. The little black things are the niger seed from the bird feeder just above it.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Finally... I have a bud to post. I couldn't bend over far enough to read which one it is.

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

(This is most of my dahlia bed.)

Thumbnail by carrielamont
Aptos, CA

Add "Blooms Amy" to the list...photo soonly~*~

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Gram - that is a big soulman alright - what is the height listed as to be?

Al, I don't remember. I've had it several years and it gets this tall each time after the first year. I'm waiting to see how the other two that I pinched back come out. I'd like to eliminate some of the bare stem look, but I've been afraid to until I got hooked up with all of you. I'll see if I can find the paperwork on it. I got it from a guy on ebay and it has been the best producer ever. Actually I think this year it might be a bit taller than before because the bed got reworked this spring. My son-in-law is 6 ft tall and I'll see if I can get him to take a close-up picture of it this weekend.

Diane

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Lots of buds here on the dahlias that I dug and kept whole last fall. I think that is the secret to early blooms. The two I have are Ellen Houston and David Howard. When they were first bought they took all summer to bloom.
Sharon

I hope you are right, Sharon. That makes sense. But then there are those that just burst out of the ground. I swear the ones I buy off the shelf at Home Depot are the first ones to bloom, every doggoned year.

I hate it that the expensive ones are the ones that give you hives wondering if they are ever going to do anything.

I could not find the info. on the Soulman, but I will keep looking. Like I said, I've had it for several years.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Gram - you are right about the Home Depot ones, although I didn't buy any there - the ones from those types of stores are usually budding and waking up from the warmer store temps.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I have been MIA for awhile now...I hope I am back for good. Between bad weather, the flu and illnesses and deaths in the extended family I feel like I have been running as fast as I can and going backwards. =^{

I have finally got the last of my dahlias in the ground but don't know how well they will do. These have been the balky ones that have not wanted to grow. I have lost some too - either they didn't grow at all or gave up the ghost after putting up a weak shoot. The dead include but aren't limited to: Kingston, Sugartown Sunrise, Peaches N Cream and Rosemary Webb. Hillcrest Kismet is struggling.

Robin Hood has already bloomed although it is only about 8" tall. Some of the pot dahlias are blooming and Myrtle's Folly is budding.

We have been having violent storms the last few days. I hope we don't get too much rain or it will drown a lot of the dahlias. After all the work I have put into them over the last 3 months I don't think I could take it.

Delhi, IA

Sudhira, What a sweet seedling!!! Do the collarettes (sp?) bloom as freely as others? My Bumble Rumble last summer was a little scarce in the bloom department.

Aptos, CA

Hi Jam...Well, some do so much better than others...Last year Sean C AND POOH were so full of blooms I could hardly keep up, while Wheels, gave me a few...My dahlia mentor told me to tag this little bloom and to frow it again next year to see if it is consistant...he said it may be a keeper..we'll see what happens...

Oh NoH2O..I sure hope your weather improves...and that your have some wonderful blooms, and that your life events calm down...

Aptos, CA

Here is a photo of Bloom's Amy amidst Camano Rascal and others...

Thumbnail by sudhira
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Hi sudhira, your seedling looks much like mine that I grew from a Collarette Dandy mix from T&M. I leave mine in the ground, this is it's 3rd year and coming into bud now.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Aptos, CA

Hi Wallaby...Yes it sure does look similar! The parent flower to my seedling #26 is Sean C...I can't wait to see what the other plants bring forth!!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Got my first bloom from the Ellen Houston that overwintered cuddled up next to the south foundation. Think I will just leave it there this fall - I have plenty of them.
If it works, guess I'll just have to build another house with a loooong southern exposure! LOL

NoH2O--My Peaches-N-Cream has not even stuck up a stem from any of the three of them and I planted them the end of April. I wonder if we bought from the same person. That's what I hate about buying online.

It's good to see you back. I hope your life gets a bit more boring now.

Diane

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Diane, I got mine from Aztec Dahlias. When it arrived in April it was a nice plump rhizome but I couldn't see any eyes. I used Poochella's plastic bag method and it developed a nice set of roots but no sprouts. Then I potted it up just in case it was slow to sprout....to this day it has nice roots but no eye. I have contacted Aztec and they will be sending a replacement next spring. They were very nice about it. I just wish I could have seen it this year. =^(

Yes, boring sounds really nice right about now! I would like to be able to just sit and watch the blooms and bees and butterflies. Soon, I hope.......

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I found Peaches and Cream locally and it is doing well, a ways off from flowering yet.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

When Aztec Dahlias emailed me to tell me that they would replace Peaches & Cream in 2007, they said they actually will be carrying 2 dahlias with almost identical names next year. One is Peaches & Cream and the other is Peaches and Cream. They told me to be sure to specify which one I had ordered. The one I ordered this year is Peaches & Cream. http://www.aztecdahlias.com/pages/Peaches%20N%20Cream.htm Is that the one you are growing now?

Not too smart to name two different plants so closely. That's going to cause a lot of confusion. If you look again at that website, it's spelled differently from what they told you. That is the same one I ordered.

I ordered from Swan Island, my first time with them. Three of the five I ordered are growing, but the main one I wanted was a mini named Lemon Tart for a container centerpiece and it's a dud. The other one from them that did not grow was Pink Gingham.

I ordered the Peaches-N-Cream (the way mine was listed) from an ebay seller and it was included in a batch. I have to find that paperwork, as there were two or three others in his that did not make it. My yard file folder needs some serious help. I put everything in there, but I think I need to make subtitles, like dahlias, hostas, ebay, whatever. Some way to make it easier to find things.

All mine went into the ground at the end of April and I have several without tags. I ordered a mixed bunch of six, plus I had some of my own tubers that were dug in the fall and not labeled. Those are in a separate "spare bed" until I can get them identified.

I don't know the plastic bag method, although I have seen you all talking about it before. I thought nothing was supposed to be stored in plastic, but maybe that's not what you are talking about. We have a long growing season and can plant dahlias anytime after the middle of April. This year we could have planted them earlier than that because it stayed so warm all winter.

Diane

Centerville, UT(Zone 6a)

I think this is what the plastic bag talk is about.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/592665/

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's my card from Stein's - you know they really don't sponsor me, but I am open to talks :)

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Yes, I think that is the Peaches and Cream that Aztec is going to carry next year in addition to the Peaches & Cream which I had ordered from them this year. It just seems so weird to name two different varieties with virtually identical names.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

The dahlia industry really needs to rise above all this naming hullabuloo. There are many that are basically the same plant with different names. Must be naming rights/licenses/payoffs.
Here's me hoping that Peaches AND Cream is different than Seattle.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

From the variety descriptions I do think Peaches and Cream is different than Peaches & Cream. I don't know about Seattle, though......

It's just too confusing. I think I'm just going to call them whatever I want to call them--or number them maybe. I agree with Al. Enough already.

Aptos, CA

Peaches- N -Cream : 410 Miniature Formal Decorative Light Blend Orange/White
Peaches & Cream : 610 Waterlilly Light Blend Yellow/Pink

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Jam - let me know when I'm at 10.

Here are a few I have at work.

This is an unknown anenome

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

This is Impression Futuro, although I don't think it looks exactly like that, but certainly an Impression.

So I stop in to a greenhouse that is having a clearance sale and buy a 18" Otto's Thrill for $3, and I try to talk them down on the ones they have marked as "?", but they wouldn't budge. They have Barbarossa - is that one nice?

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Aptos, CA

Barbarossa 206 B formal decorative red...I have never seen "her" been around since 1936!!!!

Delhi, IA

Impression Futuro!!! Does it look like it will be a heavy bloomer? My experience with Bumble Rumble, another collorette last year was a nice plant, but it sort of forgot to set many blooms. Think it was one that got caught before it really came into it's prime.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Jam,
I would say it is average, I looked at it today and it has 2 flowers and 2 buds.

Sud,
I picked up Barbarossa for you today, the card says Dinnerplate dahlia of course LOL. I made an offer of 2 "?" ones for $3 and they took it :) - so we'll se what those are. One had cut leaves like the Lavender Perfection's they had.

I think this Apache(another oldie) is open now as they leaves are browning a bit

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

This is a dainty waterlilly - LeCastel. Small, shallow flowers. Real nice though.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Delhi, IA

Apache is sure a rich shade Al. And I like the little white.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I am thinking about future layouts(yes already), has anyone ever planned them to be a groupings of all one color with different styles or by one style with different colors?

Delhi, IA

Mine are just in the ground. I hope to keep track of heights a little better this year. They are in a single row surrounding 2 of my beds so I don't have to worry about anybody being hidden ________but if my bed style changes I may want to know. Main part of the bed is perennials. Last year I edged with petunias, but this year it is dahlias. Figure most of the other flowers will have bloomed by the time the dahlias take over.

One bed has dahlias right in the middle. Think there are 12 or 13 in it. And I didn't watch for taller ones in there either. May wish I had when they start blooming. I was just so glad to get them all in the ground that day and a name attached.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I got 3 this year that I thought would harmonise, Le Baron, Vancouver and Snoho Diana. 2 of each in packs, so I have put two groupings around newly planted Eriobotrya japonic in my new bed.

The Collarette Dandy are around the edges of another 'eye' shaped bed with taller Dahlia species in the middle mixed with lilies and dark blue delphinium. It works really well and fills the bed with colour that harmonises. I have some other plants mostly at the ends, rose, hydrangea and magnolia plus some others.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

The David Howard that I put in a pot earlier in the spring is blooming in the garden now. From the tall stem that I didn't shorten.

I LOVE the foliage on Ellen Houston and David Howard. They are both very dark and a nice contrast to the orangey and yellow-orange blooms. I don't think they look weedy at all.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Al regarding groupings: I tried that in a few spots last year. Pinks and pink blends here; purples there; oranges and yellows; reds and red blends. I can't say it made any difference in the overall scheme or appearance of things. I was too busy flitting from new bloom to bloom oohing and ahhing!

This year I only have a couple concentrated zones of oranges/blends, pinks and yellows, and I guess I tried for mostly reds/blends in one spot too. If they ever bloom, I'll let you know how it looks. Mostly I just planted with height in mind and try to keep my favorites visible from the kitchen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.