PLEASE Keep track of your 10 earliest blooms_____

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Someone was asking about LeBaron opening up all the way - well here it is.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

This is the largest flower of the year by far - Tsuki blah blah blah.

I can say my 3 white semi cactus were very fast and my other white ones also for what that's worth.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Delhi, IA

Al, Tsuki is the name??? Boy, that white is dazzling.

Sharon, I to love the foliage on Ellen Houston. Incidently one is all in bud, so it won't be long. (The other is only up about 6") Decided to sleep a little longer I guess. They are right beside each other with tall yellow marigolds surrounding them. Marigolds not blooming yet either.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Jam,
it's this one my photo is better - neener neener
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/57979/index.html

you know I don't think I am full of it as I now recall all of my all white dahlias have flowered.

Delhi, IA

Al. That's some handle for a poor dahlia!!!! Tsuki-yorine-shisha

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

This is my first attempt at making a dinnerplate dahlia. This is Babylon Red. I cut it yesterday and made it the centerpiece of a bouquet of the small Red Pygmy dahlias and some dark red and gold NOID daylilies. I forgot to measure it, so will do that today. It's been worth the wait.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram
Delhi, IA

Babylon Red is gorgeous. Such a rich deep shade. What is it, about 4 inches across??

Thomson, GA

Oh my! Babylon is a beauty. I'm so jealous of my neighbor's yard, she has a full bed of nothing but Dahlias; unfortunately, she doesn't have a clue what any of their names are. I just moved to this yard (yes, my husband bought the house, I bought the yard) last July and it was a blank canvas. I may have to repaint it a few times to get it right, but Dahlias are definitely going to have their own space next year!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Gram, that is a beauty indeed, and I give credit to your photographic skills or camera because I think I can detect that rich velvety quality to the petals which is often so hard to capture! Really pretty: and I bet the centerpiece was as well.

Guardians, congratulations on your new house/yard! I have always looked at prospective property with the yard as a priority, almost equal to the house. Find a sunny spot and you're in business for dahlia growing. Welcome!

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

jamlover--I finally remembered today to measure the Babylon Red and it is just over 8-1/2 inches across. I was hoping for 10 inches, but maybe another year -- or a different dahlia. It's actually a darker red than the picture shows, but I love it anyway.

These are the Red Pygmy. It is so hard to capture the real color of red. Maybe I need to put black paper behind them or take the pictures at night. Anyone have any ideas?

Poochella--Last year I bought a digital camera because I've always wanted good close-ups of flowers and you can't do it with my "old" camera. I went out into the yard and just started taking pictures, just to practice. This is the very first one I took and it is the dahlia Mary. I was so excited!! Of course, there have been deletes since then!! LOL

Thanks for your nice comments everyone.

Diane

Thumbnail by 1gardengram
Delhi, IA

I find the best color quality is in photos taken early morning or late evening after or before the sun has put in an appearance. Cloudy day is good also. I once thought I needed sun for good photos!!! Not so.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Jam - where's your Extase at? I'm telling you this one was a month ahead of my other border ones.
I posted this one already - but am amazed at the amount of flowers to leaves on this plant.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Delhi, IA

Well it's not blooming yet. When blooms appear I read the tag to see who it is. Don't recognize the new faces at all. (Hope it's not in the center of my one bed, it will never show!!) I need to keep track of plant sizes better this year.

Eureka, CA

Okay..... my first will be out probably in a week, maybe less!!!!! It's Al Almand..... two buds just waiting to burst! We're pretty cool here, so behind most of y'all.... I have buds too on some that Poochella shared with me this year! Those pix will be shared too!

Sanna

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Sanna, Hi! I just got Al Almand from some dahlia donors so it got a late start. I will look forward to seeing yours and other transplants from WA!

Eureka, CA

Hi Annie ~ cool! This one is very special to me, because I got it from Al's nephew Dennis, who is no longer with us. I worked with him for over 25 years, and he was a good friend. He and his wife had a local dahlia farm and won many awards for their dahlias! After Dennis died his wife moved up your way. Maybe she took some tubers with her. I hope you enjoy it!

BTW, I've been meaning to send you pix of the tubers (well, plants, now.) you shared with me. Will do that soon!

Sanna

Delhi, IA

Al,
Found Extase this am. and it is about 18" tall. Think it had 2 small buds, but still a way off. (about average size of most of mine)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Jam,
that things a flowering machine - I just deadheaded 2 more off it today. One of my other border ones Berlineer Kleene has a flower on now, I actually gave them more room than they needed - they would be great for pots.

***laughing** how long were you looking for yours?

This message was edited Jul 4, 2006 3:54 PM

Delhi, IA

Have a paper chart. Was sliding my copper tags to the top six inches of the stakes and ran across it's name. (Should be able to read names without bending over!) Have a couple dozen to put the copper tag on yet and was moving tags to the top so I would know who needed one made yet. There it was grinning out at me.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Blooms! My overwintered dahlias are blooming. I will use the easy dig and store plant late method again next year. Works best and less fuss than anything I have tried yet to just dig and lift the whole plant in the fall, put it in a paper sack or cardboard box, dirt and all, and put it on the floor in the basement. I even forgot to check them for shriveling or mold late winter. Just carried them back out and plopped them in a hole when the weather was past threat of frost.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Jam - didn't you have one like this- HA HA

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

That's gorgeous Al, what is that last one.

Caitlin, I think you have a plan with that "easy" method- whatever works! Do you know the names of the blooming ones?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Pretty one, Al. I like that one.
Carol

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That's Island View Twister from some lady in Iowa :)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

This is a shot of my neighbors bed I put in this year.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Delhi, IA

Al,
My Island View Twister isn't looking real good. Noticed it as "a plant with a problem" a few days ago. Hope yours survives. It was a generous tuber producer. It may come out of it but right now it's a little small. I'm envious!!! Your bloom looks a little "pinker" than it did in Iowa soil. Mine was a little more peachy. Definitely the same flower however.

Sharon, I'm a ways off for blooms yet on yours___maybe late next week__

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

My frist 5 to flower

Thumbnail by tonyjr
Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

All are dinnerplates , for some reason the yellows flowered first , one light purple has a 2 inch bud on it , the reds and oranges, whites buds are a 1/4 inch or smaller .

This message was edited Jul 8, 2006 3:36 PM

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

3 yellows

Thumbnail by tonyjr
Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

another yellow

Thumbnail by tonyjr
Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

lilac

Thumbnail by tonyjr
Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

last yellow

Thumbnail by tonyjr
Delhi, IA

tony, do you know their names?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

The '3 yellow ones' has an interesting shape - nice Tony.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

tonyjr, Great flowers.

By any chance is the first one a really rich iridescent pink? Almost glowing? it sure looks like a large one I have grown for years but long ago lost the ID. If you have a name for that one I'd really like to hear it.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

FIRST of my FIRST TEN BLOOMS EVER!! Its a bonnie baby prince valient!!

Best,
Blue

Thumbnail by bluelytes
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

It ain't opened yet, blue. You can't post yet, LOL

But it is just about to open tho.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

DAIS,
What ARE you a LAWYER?? lol. Picky, Picky!! A bud BECOMES a BLOOM, so THERE, hows THAT for TECHNICAL!!! Double :oP--------- on you!! :)

Best;
bluelytes

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

A lawyer? I wish. I would love the money they make. But you never know. That bud could disappear, you know............

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

DAIS,
:-O

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.