June 8th Austin Nursery Tour Pics

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Here are pics from our Nursery Tour today. We had so much fun / I know I learned so much... and think we all did. Nivlac and family, Bigbubbles, Tomatoholic, Ms_Merae and I met at 9:00. Tom from The Great Outdoors took us on a "tour" of the entire operation, answered numerous questions, and gave us lunch boxes (with water inside) with the Great Outdoors logo. We then headed off to Whole Foods after parking in their subterranean parking lot (the better for all our purchases from GO!) and after lunch went to Bigbubbles' house to park our plants in the shade and have some lemonade (and met her DH). Her gardens are just incredible!! We then headed to Barton Springs Nursery where Ampy joined us. After that it was back to Bigbubbles' house where she just snipped and snipped until everyone was laden with cuttings! (Nivlac also brought cuttings in his trunk and we all shared those, too!) Thanks to all!! (I forgot to get permission to post real names here, so will just post tag names from DG.)

This is the first stop...at The Great Outdoors Nursery. Notice our "freebie" lunch bags with the much-needed bottle of water!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Nivlac's DD blowing bubbles that --who else??--Bigbubbles brought!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Tom, one of the owners of The Great Outdoors, was an excellent "tour guide." Note the superb speciman of the Rangoon Creeper that tempted both Bigbubbles and Tomatoholic to purchase one!

This message was edited Jun 9, 2006 9:29 AM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Tomatoholic buys seeds....tomato seed, of course!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Nivlac's DS gets to activate the HUGE wind chimes.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Nivlac looks for a certain pointed hoe to dig rows...

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ms_Merae's purchases

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

And Bigbubbles' finds... (she 'really' needs more plants...wait 'til you see her garden pics!)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

And Connie, holding her "Spotted Squill"

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Nivlac and DD wait to pay for their plants and a beautiful pot for herbs.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

those are great pictures! glad everybody enjoyed themselves. The rangoon bush (creeper) it's etched on my mind. beautiful

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I tucked into my food and forgot to take a pic of our lunch at Whole Foods, but did get one of this bird that found his way into the store to beg for crumbs. Nivlac's DD thought he was cool, so this is for you!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Bigbubbles' border area. One word: fabulous!!

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Make sure you mulch that rangoon creeper very heavily this winter!
Great pics.
Debbie

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Bigbubbles talks to Nivlac and Tomatoholic

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Bigbubbles' DH and Nivlac's DW and DD relax while the rest of us follow Bigbubbles, who is generously getting cuttings for us!!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Another view of Bigbubbles' back garden...replete with fountain....very relaxing!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Another view of the garden beds

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

And another...

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Love the cannas!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ampy joined us at Barton Springs Nursery

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Tomatoholic and Nivlac's DD look for stuff at BS Nursery

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Barton Springs Nursery has great water garden plants.

This message was edited Jun 8, 2006 11:22 PM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I photographed this cute little fellow for several minutes; he was a real poser!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Back at Bigbubbles' house to get our plants and cuttings.
Tomatoholic was late getting home so that she could get cuttings from Bigbubbles!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Nivlac says, "Give me some of that, please!" well. sorta!~

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

All were hot and tired by 4:30!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a picture of Bigbubbles' great sculptural pot stands that she made herself but for some reason the pic won't flip and stay that way. I'll post it later.

If anyone has a correction or wants a pic deleted, please let me know.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Connie, thank you so much for doing the photography and putting them on DG!! The pics turned out great...except for the one of my backside. ;) LOL!

It was a fantastic day meeting all of you. My poor DH had to hear me ramble on all evening about y'all. BigBubbles and her DH were super gracious to us...both in refreshments and in cuttings. I am going to get out there and get them all in dirt this morning. I put them all in water when I got home...poor things were pretty limp after the 40 minute drive home in traffic! The Ragoon Creeper was happy to be out of my Pilot for sure. She is a gorgeous plant. My DH really liked it and didn't mind that I spent the money on it. Go figure. He is going to build a trellis for it on the South side of our backyard. It will get sun from 9:30am til about 2pm which Bigbubbles said would be perfect.

The entire day was a blast and I really need to know what kid catalog that nivlac ordered his children from, b/c I don't think I've ever been around such delightful, sweet children in my life. Hence, DH and I would like to order children from the same catalog. ;) I tell you, my nieces would have been whining and fighting the entire time getting on my last nerve. But nivlac's kids were angels!!

Debbie, you may need to dmail me everything I need to know on how to take care of my Creeper please!

The Great Outdoors Nursery is on the opposite side of town from where I live...but definitely worth the drive!! OH my...such lovely things. Tom was a great host. And like nivlac, I was able to find some tomato seeds that I would have normally had to buy from Totally tomatoes and pay shipping.

Thanks again everyone! Hope to see y'all again soon.
Michelle

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Connie,
I'm so glad you put this tour together. I love to plant shop, but it's always so much more fun in a group. Thanks for the vines and seedlings, Calvin. I can't believe how patient your kids ( and lovely wife) were spending the entire day with plant fanatics. Your new camera takes great pics, Connie....except it seems to put 20 lbs on me! Enjoyed meeting Michelle, Merae, and Ampy... and I hope we do it again when it cools a bit.
Have to tell you....my SIL said that if I spent the day with a group of people I'd never met before, but chatted with on the Internet about plants, he considered that I had joined a "horticult." Soooo funny....
This morning I feel like it's Groundhog Day..... group is coming at 9:30 to "tour the garden." Timing's great...but wasn't planned. I wonder if I can make 'em take some cannas? We chased Ampy down the street, trying to load some in her car, but she was too quick for us!
Thanks to all of you for kind comments. I think gardening should be it's own reward, but it's certainly nice to have others appreciate the effort. Sandi

Michelle-
see:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/601164/
Debbie

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Connie, thank you for putting the tour together and putting up the pictures.
They are all great, and they allwoed us to meet some of our new friends, it is nice to put a face together wirh the name.
My goodness! everyone is so good looking!

Bigbubbles, your garden is gorgeous, with all those beautiful plants and trees, you are one lucky lady.
Josephine.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm glad ya'll had a good time. I think the Great Outdoors is calling my name.:) Is it easy to get to? DH has never seen a rangoon creeper. If I get one he'll have to build a trellis and that's more likely to happen if he likes the plant.:)

Sandi your yard is great. I would love to sit and study it. I look at my yard and try to figure out how to get it to what I want it to look like and I can't figure how to do that. I guess I need inspiration.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hope this works. That was SOME lazy pic...wanted to continue to lie on its side... Had to put it in its own folder to make it work!
This is an example of Bigbubbles' creativity! She says she constructed these plant stands from core samples (ask her...).

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

It really was my pleasure meeting everyone yesterday morning. Ampy, I am sorry we missed each other, maybe next time. Bigbubbles, the pictures of your gardens are gorgeous and I am so sad that I missed out on the fun at your place. I will be heading to Michelle's right away to get some cuttings that you both so graciously took for me. Calvin, I looked up the moonflower vine in PF and that is one neat plant. It was thoughtful of you to have brought them for us and I thank you for the plants and trees. I look forward to taking care of them.

I really enjoyed the Great Outdoors. It is a nice nursery and I will definitely be going back even though it is all the way across town. The Rangoon Creeper's you ladies picked up were awesome and their smell was heavenly. I am definitely happy with my Gay Feather and Mexican Fire Bush, but I think I might have to go pick me one of those awesome Rangoon's up. ha ha.

Silverfluter, I wish you could have made it too. Hopefully we will organize another one when it starts to cool down and you can make that one.

Here is a pic of the waterfall area at the Great Outdoors.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2006 10:15 AM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

bigbubbles, I am still laughing about the "horticult".

Here is a pic of the huge wind chimes that took my breath away. They are magnificent.

Ampy is one cool chick too!
:)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Bigbubbles...I also am ROFLOL at the 'horticult.' I think you should start a thread somewhere about how people get sooo into gardening that their loved ones and friends do think it's a horticult. I know my DH thinks I've been cruising the net for a new guy since I'm on all the time that I'm not in the gardens! However, I now am not forced to sit and do crosswords while he watches the history chanel!!

Ms_Merae....love your additional pics! Mine of the waterfall didn't turn out as I kept trying to get a good one of that cool red dragonfly (?) and my camera speed couldn't stop his wings so it was always a blur! :)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow...thanks for the compliment Frostweed....I've been busy all day and have just gotten back to read the thread.
And to Silverfluter...you come to Austin anytime and we'll sit out in the yard so you can study! Not sure there's much rhyme or reason to my yard, however. Had mostly sun, then the oaks grew out and the yard is now shaded most of the day. I'm always experimenting...especially if someone tells me "you can't grow that in Austin." And as for the Rangoon Creeper...the directions for The Great Outdoors are further up in the thread. It's really easy to find from 290, if that's how you'd come in. And if you can't come in, we go to Sunrise Beach nearly every weekend. I could be persuaded to take one up and drive over to Fredricksburg. The guy at GO said they have a hard time keeping them in stock. There were at least 10 yesterday, $21.99 and super healthy. I had one that was smaller and I managed to kill it. I think this one is big enough that it can fend for itself. Anyway, door is open and you come anytime. Would love to visit with you.
Connie...I think I need to re-do those columns! Couldn't get DH to help when big one came apart....so I Gorilla Glued it. Didn't know that stuff 'grows.' Your camera takes great photos! I think I need to invest in a new one. Did take one of sunrise over the pond this morning. The '2nd tour' today went well. Not nearly as much fun as ya'll tho!
We're off to the Margarita party tonite.....

Sandi

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

pic didn't make it....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.