Spiderlings

(Zone 8a)

Black and yellow argiope spiderlings nestled on my house siding. The raindrop should give you an idea of scale.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Potsdam, NY(Zone 4a)

Holy cow, Knip! That is a ton of spiders! I must say, I have never seen one of those. I recently read an article about one that the author took great care not to disturb. In fact, she spent the afternoon watching it, and sketching it. I do have a good population of a small brown spider with a totally white large abdomen. Do not know what they are, but they seem to live in burrows in the ground. I see them when digging in the garden. Any knowledge of what kind they are? BAM

(Zone 8a)

The spiderlings will turn into the black and yellow argiope. I always have hundreds of those in the garden. I think what you have may be a wolf spider, the large white abdomen is probably an egg case which I think they carry around with them. They're very fast moving. I think this is one.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

AWESOME!

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

More to the point, how do you take such awesome pictures??? Please tell!!!

(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the compliments. My camera (Olympus 5060) has a good macro lens which enables me to get within 2 inches of my subject - which I very often do. My neighbors must think I'm crazy, I'm always running around the garden chasing something!

I just try to be patient and take as many pics as I can, and often I get something worth keeping.

Spiders are so useful in the garden!

Here's an agriope - the object behind it on the iris leaf is an egg case.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

I love spiders too! Your pics are so awesome. I could only dream. I looked up the camera. Is it the C5060? Way too much for me to swing. I'm doomed for crappy pictures for the rest of my life :(

Potsdam, NY(Zone 4a)

LOL, terry! I have no camera. so no pictures, so take heart in your crappy ones! LOL! Knip, that is not the spider that I am familiar with as the wolf spider (from Florida), and it is not the spiders that I have here. These are small, and black except for a large, totally white abdomen. Will find out someday. Tried to find it on the internet, but not yet. BAM.

Ahh bam, thanks. I dunno though, crappy ones that nobody can tell what I took a pic of, is really no difference than no pics. Ya think? :o)

(Zone 8a)

BAM check out Bugguide.net - they have excellent stuff there on spiders. I'm sure you'd get an ID on yours.

Sue

Potsdam, NY(Zone 4a)

ty Sue, will try that. It would be nice, since I have a prolific population of them. But, what can they be eating if they stay under the soil and do not make webs? curious things. I would like to know what they are, and what they eat. Thanks again.
Well, terry, since I have never seen one of your pics, I cannot venture an opinion. Tell your father that you would really love a new digital camera for your birthday. Think that would work?

And you don't want to bam. I'm waiting for VV to come along and critique my picture taking ability yet again.........

Potsdam, NY(Zone 4a)

Terry, you can do it. Take a class if you feel that will help you. My son tells me he will show me how to use discs, etc. next time he comes up. He came once for two days in three years. Think I should hold my breath? I don't. Oh well. BAM

Ya know what? I signed up for HP's digital picture taking class. I got an email tonight wondering where I am. Ooops!! I've been outside, duh!!

What do you mean, how to use disks? CD's? Like downloading things? Music? You should just pop them in and they start up. I'm sorry your son isn't being good to the woman who gave him life. I don't have the best relationship with my parents, but it's them doing and saying things to me. I don't hold my breath either.

Potsdam, NY(Zone 4a)

Terry, don't get me wrong. My son loves me dearly, but he works long hours and lives in Maryland. Before that it was Florida, so not easy to just come by. Distance can be a great obstacle. You better catch up on your class. LOL! BAM
P.S. No, the discs to keep digital pictures on, and then how to look at them or share them. That sort of disc.

Somebody recently said to me that she knew I loved my parents very much, it was just hard to like them sometimes. I totally get the long hours.....but I remember losing my grandma and even though I visited her almost every day, it still didn't seem like I had enough time with her. Ya know?
I'm thinking perhaps I shouldn't of signed up for those classes at this time of year. Winter would be a much better time. I spent today outside also, and now I'm not really feeling like tying to take an online class.
Oh, you want to put pictures that you've got onto your computer and look at them? It really is easy. Just mess around with your program and see if you can figure it out. If not, you can always take your memory card to someplace (like wally world) and they'll put them on a disk for you. Then you just pop it into the cd player on the computer and it starts right up. You can also just go into someplace like Best Buy or Circuit City and ask them for assistance. It wouldn't be on your computer, but they could show you how on one of theirs. Just a thought for ya.

Potsdam, NY(Zone 4a)

Thank you for the thought, but what you just told me is worse than Greek for me! I am pretty much electronically illiterate. Seeing step by step would be necessary, since I am a visual person. Just hearing instructions does not compute.
Knip, I tried that site you mentioned, and found nothing to link to spiders. Just some TV program. Don't know why nothing came up. Thanks anyway. I will keep looking and let you know if I ever find out.
BAM

(Zone 8a)

Try this link

http://bugguide.net/node/view/1954

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.