Coleus Chatters June 18-24

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Sunday morning to all and Happy Father's Day!!!

Sry, con't from http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/613749/#new

This message was edited Jun 18, 2006 9:03 AM

Thumbnail by Brinda
(Zone 9a)

Hey, Brinda, thanks for the new thread. How's the back feeling? Hopefully better today and you won't need any of my long winded advice.

Tobee, how's the knee treating you...or, how are you treating the knee?

This is Mark's 2nd day of his 2 weeks off. Whoo hoo! He helped me get everything potted up for the fert/soil tests yesterday, so glad to have that done. Now I just have to post all the info for it.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi Heather....thanks for asking! The back is still hurting but it's getting better. I'm off to the Dr. early in the morn for some good meds! LOL

Where is tobee? I hope your knee is much better Sue!!!!

I'm off to change clothes and go out back to watch my DH work on Father's Day! LOL I'll be the one with the pillows as cushions!

Love you all.....

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

good morning all!!!

brinda....ahhhhhhhhhh...your back!!!! not now! you poor thing. i know it can be the most painful, horrible, thing there is. i hope the doctor fixes you up right away!! and .....sorry to have to remind you again....sorry, sorry sorry......BUT you haven't sent me your paypal account info. NOW........i'm in NO hurry....so when ever you're ready just don't concern yourself until you are feeling better.

i have been happily busy in the garden. i put in a entire section on friday and then on saturday lou and i FINALLY began the pool area. holy cow.....i have these 20 inch moss pots and after i filled them it took both of us to lift them up! anyway....we worked all day and my knee was great for those two days. then yesterday we went up to PA for a day trip with my dd and her hubby and then we were coming home to meet my son and his wife for dinner, for father's day. well......by the end of the day my entire leg was 3 times it's size! so....this morning it's down a bit but i went out at 5 am and just got back in because i had to water which took me over 6 hours!!!!!!! i had to do it because it's going to be over 90 again today and we are supposed to get heavy showers this afternoon, but it makes no difference to the pots i have out there. each one takes about 5 gallons a day and even heavy showers can't do that! it was really nice this morning, the african daisies are in bloom and they are silver with black centers....they sparkle!! some of the japanese blue mg's came out....so unusual for now....our morning glories don't bloom until aug. so it was a real treat! i had such great plans for the rest of the day, but it looks like it's off my feet for the remainder of the day! and thanks for asking heather and brinda and all.

hope everyone is doing well. i really missed everyone the past few days.

sorry i got mixed up with who lost the weight...it's not very hard to confuse me now a days...that's for sure!! i have given up with the weight stuff for now because going through this change i'm just gaining and gaining and not even eating so.....not much can be done when your body just isn't burning anymore... :(

talk to you later!!!

xoxoxoxox

(Zone 9a)

No prob on getting us all confused, it sure is easy to do! Take it easy on that knee please, we don't want you out of commission...although it was nice having you post more often. =^) Sounds like you had a great weekend and got a ton of stuff done!

Brinda, how's the back today? What did the doc say? Good news I hope.

GG, and anyone else in TX that I can't remember right now, you're not in the flood zone areas are you? Are you all ok? Keep safe.

Ok, I have to share something that I am so very excited about!! I finally got my potting shed set up. I have wanted this forever and a day it seems like...but really it's just been about 9 months. Last year we built a barn, a small barn about 10'x12'...I got to design it to fit w/ the garden & Mark and I built it together. That was last fall, it was finished so late in the year that we actually didn't get to finish all the trim and inside before the cold, cold weather hit. So w/ Mark's 2 weeks off here he's working on it to finish all the little details and inside. We had talked a lot about putting a potting bench in there for me, at the right height so I would have to stoop and have it bother my back...but talk and reality are two very different things! Yesterday he called me out to the barn and said to take a look....there was my potting bench!! I was so happy I started crying! Yeah, I'm easy to please. I immediately claimed my space and loaded it w/ plants & pots & etc. We don't have electricity out there yet, so I ended up potting things up by two oil lamps after the sun went down. LOL! I just couldn't quit, I was having way too much fun.

This is the first part of the inside of the barn that he's completed, what a sweety! The rest is still just studs, no shelves, no pegboard, nothing. He's going to put up some shelves and pegboard for me today if it ever stops raining. But, now even in the rain I can pot things up! Whoo hoo!

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
(Zone 9a)

I used to have to pot things up on my front porch, and what a mess. I could never keep things organized...it always looked trashy. Now I have a place for everything, even w/out having the shelves yet (just don't tell Mark that!!)

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
(Zone 9a)

I also have to share this. This is a mini pig feeder that I saw on eBay last year and thought would look so cute planted & hanging on the side of the barn. Mark came up w/ the idea of a patriotic planting for it. So, now it's my Patriotic Pig Planter, LOL! Y'all might think it's a bit much, but I think it's cute on the barn. I'd like to hang some old gardening/farm tools around it.

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
(Zone 9a)

Ok, last pic. Close up of the pig feeder writing w/ pic of the little piggie. He's wearing a crown that says "BONE" on it. He just cracks me up. There was also a pic of the same piggie in the area where the Lobelia is planted, but you really can't see that now. This is, by far, my strangest plant container!

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

How nice!!!! Looks like your hubby is doing a fantastic job. It looks great!!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

heather!!!!!!!! absolutely LOVE the pig feeder!!!! gotta get me one of those!!!

ok...so this is NOT a coleus but had to show you the daisy!

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

heather! i know exactly what you mean....you used your front porch, i used the ground! when we redid the kitchen but hubby saved the old cabinets and made me a potting area which is a MESS so i'm NOT showing anyone!

new pots planted on sat

Thumbnail by tobee43
(Zone 9a)

Thanks so much gals!!

Tobee, I love that daisy. I'm finding that I love daisies more than I realized, lol. That one is just gorgeous...I can see what you mean by it sparkling...and that center purple/blue/indigo color I think I could stare at that for hours on end. That's really a perfect daisy...plus the foliage is variegated. Girl, where did you find that?! You better take some cuttings or let a few go to seed for next year because you may not find it ever again.

And your pots look so fantastic. I have such a hard time choosing what to put in mine. How are you sure what to use? Is it just trial and error, then using the same combos the next year? I try to use something tall, something mounding or short, and then something trailing or creeping. It doesn't always work for me tho...I've not been doing pots for long. I think sometimes I jam too much into them then they don't do well...so I try to get neat or pretty pots to still hold the interest even if the plants poop out on me. Hey, at least I have a back up plan, lol.

I have a really neat hanger pot I'll have to take a pic of and show y'all. I have no idea how to plant it. The baskets on it are more like little pits. They are so small, I don't know what I'm going to do w/ it. It's wire and once it's line w/ moss I don't think there'll be much room for soil. It didn't come w/ a coco liner either. I'll get pics in a bit.

I love your planter that looks like aged copper, very elegant but still laid back.

And it's very nice to meet you Dancey!! =^)

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

welcome dancey!

well, heather, i really do stuff the pots to the max. the daisies are extremely rare and difficult to find and i didn't "stuff" that pot because i want to see them alone!...i think i might have gotten them at logee's.........DON'T LOOK THERE YOU WILL DIE and your husband will KILL me!

hehehehe...nope, hope not trial and error....when i plan pots (and remember i also do this for a living) i know the growth patterns of all of them as well as their needs. you don't want to plant items that don't share the same needs in watering, feeding and sun or shade habits. that's most people's mistakes...if you have something that loves to be dried between waterings mixed with another plant that loves to be moist then you have growth problems. so the first thing is to make sure the plants are compatable with their needs and then go for the color scheme your looking for. actually, most of my pots are combined with plants i had left over from jobs i did. i sometimes have found the very last pot of the season which is whatever leftovers where available comes out to be the best one! also...remember your in zone 5 you need to chose plants that will be able to feed heavy and produce to max within 12 weeks of their plantings. unlike sidney and hap and others that are able to enjoy their plants almost all year.

also i have a few baskets with similar problems with the "little pits"...i stuff thyme and other creeping things into those areas..take a pic and lets see it!!

This message was edited Jun 19, 2006 1:18 PM

(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the help Tobee (and anyone else!) I really do appreciate it. I just adore these planters. I got them on clearance last year at JoAnn's. I've had that long to figure out what to plant in them and still have no clue! I do have some Creeping Thyme & Rock Soapwort seeds, but germination on both of them has been little to none...but maybe if I start them indoors I'll get at least a few to start. Do you think it's too late to start them from seed now?

The planters measures overall 24" high, 8" across. The planting areas are also 8" across, 5 1/2" tall, and 4 1/2" deep (from front to back). I did my best w/ the pics. Sorry they aren't better.

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
(Zone 9a)

These are regular size Sharpie markers in the planting areas, that's all I had on hand in the barn. I need to get more stuff out there, lol.

edited to say I have 2 of these planters if I didn't mention that

This message was edited Jun 19, 2006 1:26 PM

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi to all my coleus freaks out there! LOL

tobee....good grief girlfriend, you better take care of that knee. I know how easy it is to just keep going.....but I'm so learning how it isn't good! LOL Please take care of yourself!

Heather, I do love your new potting shed and bench. You sure have a keeper with Mark!!!! He sounds wonderful! And I love your pig feeder.....I need one of those too! LOL You need an old broken shovel and some other stuff to hang up with it. You could also sneak over & steel Pheadra's trough! That would look great!!!

Well....I just got in from the doc and he says that I have torn a muscle in my lower back. I can't remember the name of the muscle....and I guess it doesn't matter! LOL He loaded me up on meds and I should be feeling pretty good here in an hour or so. LOL But it must be getting somewhat better as it was much easier to get out of bed this morning.

tobee....I haven't forgotten you....let me get my stuff together and I'll get your Messenger boxed up and get it weighed. I also need to send out 2 other boxes of Messenger that I've promised. Ouch!!! People are going to think I'm a nutcase! I will dmail you soon!

Oh and tobee....show us more pics of your pots. I just love seeing them and I need a quick fix too since I can't be outside. LOL

Sidney? What happened with the guy that cut the tree down? Did you get things fixed? I hate that for you!!!

Oh Dancey, please don't be a stranger! We love folks!!!!!! :)

Hi Kell, Hap, Pheadra, GG, Pati, Sue & Joni....did I miss anyone?

Oh yeah!......And Kin....are you lurking?

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

brinda!! poor brinda! a torn muscle O my! drugs that's good! the back is such an odd thing...they use to say lay down and now then say don't. are we falling apart of what??????? and i'm NOT thinking your a "nut case" ...i know it! LOL....please i told you don't worry about it...i just was worried because i wanted you paid. but when ever is just fine with me!! and you don't need to going to weigh anything at this point! just get better and i'll remind you again in a week or so!

heather, yeah for our area i not really thinking you'll get those seeds going enough to use them. but it sure wouldn't hurt to try.

i would fill those little guys with sphagnum moss....but soak it really really really good so you can just line it thinly with the moss. then let it dry and you should have some room to plant. i tried to take a picture of one tiny one i have but the battery has run out on my camera so i have to wait until my dh comes home and tell me where the heck the charger is! but....what i put in the tiny pot was mini yellow impatients that have bronze colored leaves. it hasn't bloomed as yet because i just planted it last week. but any mini flower or coleus will do fine in there. some of the trailing coleus would look great!

and i looked back and i'm missing something! what happened to sidney's tree????

(Zone 9a)

Oh, Brin, you tore the muscle. OwwOwwoWW. You poor thing. I have a whole new image of you now. Before you were a sweet, gentle gardening grammy to X-man. You're still all of those things, but now you're also tough as nails...how'd you go so long w/out the meds? Glad you got them now. I'm sure you'll be taking it easy once you start taking them, you'll have no choice!! Keep us posted.

I did see Pheadra's trough and want to copy it. Sometime I will have to. I need to check that thread out again and see any new pics she's posted. Any new pics there Pheadra?

Do y'all think Alyssum would work in these planters? I have some white & purple seeds I haven't started because I didn't know where I was going to use them. They bloom fast from the time they are sown, don't they?

This planter hangs over our front steps. The little pots have Lobelia in them and there's a Johnny Jump Up Viola in each one too, they are just too small to see from the ground yet, but will be big and blooming soon.

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

heather...it depends of which alyssum...the saxatile golden queen would really not be good because it's a hardy perennial but the
alyssum wandering star is a half hardy annual. both are usually used for ground cover. i would use maybe something more vine like....and i'm thinking.....but just can't think exactly at the moment. although the wandering star would be nice in there. unless the cultivar you have is more vine like?

(Zone 9a)

Hmm, ok, too late to start from seeds she says. LOL. I don't have much on hand, and we all know I've limited myself this year....so.......

what I do have on hand...
Five Spot
Johnny Jump Up Violas
Vairous Dianthus that are still small plants I could get in there
Torenia - Wishbone
Impatiens - 4 left, one for each pocket
Melapodium
Petunias
Dwarf Pea Vines - could these work?? I'd love to plant a vine in these

What about putting Wandering Jew plant cuttings in there just for the summer. I know they'll be done w/ the first frost like an annual, but it would be really pretty. I also have a few Bolivian Jew (Jewel) cuttings I could use that are growing nicely inside now.

Help please. I'm completely stumped by these, and they could look so very nice flanking the side of my front door. I guess that would make them mostly in a shaded area, but bright shade. This makes me feel so stupid.

(Zone 9a)

Sorry Tobee, didn't see your post. I have seeds for Alyssum 'Carpet of Snow' and 'Royal Carpet'. Both are marked as annuals. They'll get 3-4" high. They are both Burpee seeds, if that helps any.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

ok...given your list here's what i would use:

since it's going to be semi shade the impatients for sure...however, you'll have to pinch them to keep them in check with the pot. the pea vines if they can do ok in the shade sound like a good try....petunia's need a bit more sun...so i wouldn't use them. i like the wandering jew...i think that would look nice trailing downward.

so i vote the impatients and wandering jew! hehehehe

(Zone 9a)

Alright, Impatiens and Wandering Jew it is!! The Impatiens are bright/light pink, and I just can't picture them together. This is a combo I'd never think of doing and I'll be sure to post pics when I get it planted. I can't wait to see how it looks & may copy the planting in other containers on the porch.

I'm loving the idea of the Wandering Jew against our brick, the colors will look sooo great. I'm hoping the pink in the Impatiens will help pull the brick & the cottage look together somewhat.

I've had my moss soaking for a while, so am hoping to get this planted today. Will post pics as soon as I do!

Thanks for all your help, now I can finally enjoy these planters! =^))))

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I love coleus too so I thought I would just pop in and see what everyone is growing right now. ;) I have several in my gardens this year and have rooted some to give to my Mother and my daughter. I love them! They are so colorful and pretty. I have a new lime green colored coleus I got this season that I really like. Can't think of the name right now.

Lin

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Lin, ......Hap here.... Welcome

I was surprised that you only had a "few".....that won't last long. Consider yourself now addicted and one of the coleus addicts...LOL

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

good morning all!!

wow....a break from watering this morning! it's raining hard and heavy...but i'll still have to do the pots later!

sidney were are you???

brinda....please be feeling better!!

lin...take a picture and let's see what kind you have

gg...where are you girlfriend?...didn't see you all day! and i promise i won't smack ya!

heather how'd the planter turn out??

hap....your a coleus enabler!

well....swelling is down on the knee so after the rain i want to go planting!

talk to ya all later!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

GM all!!! I'm on the run & gotta be quick!!!

I'm concerned about GG after watching the news. There is flooding in Houston and it sure looked bad last night. GG.....we're thinking of you and saying prayers for you!!!!

tobee....it's good to hear the swelling is down, make sure you take care of yourself. And DON'T work too hard~!

My back is better this morning.....but anything would be better with all the meds that MD gave me! LOL

On the run this morning......bbl!!!

xoxoxoxox

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I saw the weather briefly last night. Has anyone seen GG?

(Zone 9a)

Haven't heard from GG either and am concerned too. I'm sending her a d-mail to check on her.

Also wondering about Sidney here too? Hoping she's busy w/ all good things w/ Dayne and the job search and wonderful Coleus.

Sending hugs to both of you....

Glad to hear that both of you, Tobee & Brinda, are feeling better! This is the worst time of year to be down & out.

I didn't get anything potted yesterday. We ended up working on the porch and finished tidying it up now that all my junk is gone from there. Then we got a heck of a storm, with hail and all...and had to sit out and watch that, it's so rare here.

It's damp and chilly this morning, still waiting for the sun to come out so I can go play. I should get them potted up today and it should be a great day for it by the looks of things.

Anyone ever seen a Rose in a hanging basket? Just saw one over on the Frangrant forum and it was stunning. Hoping to try that today too. LOL.

Have a great day!

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

We have rain here in our part of Texas again today. Soooo glad to get it too. I'll take some pics later. I love the coleus because they can bring so much pretty color to the gardens. I don't have any trailing ones yet. I have to order online everything I want. Nobody around here has them. I would have to drive at least 50 miles or farther to a nursery that has them.

Lin

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Yikes, Lin, that's a a little too far for me.

Hap

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Lin try ordering from Mystic (an Uber gardener here at DG) and Rosy Dawn. The girl's can suggest others.

I am waiting for the city of Jacksonville to come appraise that tree and getting a couple of loads of wash dried before the afternoon rains hit.
Dayne went to work last week as an electrician's helper and even got to work overtime last saturday. His back was hurting him when he got in yesterday so I'm getting him a velcro back brace this afternoon. He has been doing alot of shoveling.

I am just doing what I can to get on top of my house work and take coleus cuttings to root for folks that come by and admire them. It also helps keep them shaped up.

I piinch the little leaves at the end of each branch and they are really filling out.
I have about a dozen of these that overwintered and I have no idea what their name is.
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Just thought I would let you know I'm Lurking!!
Just like a fly!!!!
LOL

Thumbnail by GardenGuyKin
Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL It is too far Hap! But we live way out in the country in a very small rural town. We do have a Wal Mart but it's not a Super. I did get the pretty lime green coleus from our WM. That was a shock. ;) Once in a while they will get some different and pretty plants in. There's a story behind the lime green coleus I bought. When I spied the little six pack of coleus that included the lime green one (which is what I really wanted) only two of the coleus' in the pack were still alive or appeared so. So I asked the manager if she would mark the pack down for me as I really wanted the plants. She sold it to me for 55 cents. I was able to salvage three of the coleus in all including the lime green one. Of course no names were on the pack so I have no idea what the names of these plants are.

Lin

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

yipeeeeeeee!! finally i have A LITTLE color!!!!

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

and a TINY bit more! she's trying to peak on through

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

lin...that feels so good when you get them and make them beautiful!

smart to ask for a discount...hehehe..i did that just now when i went out for fillers for some of my pots.

and how cold is cold???

we are now not cold...but the bugs are unreal this year. everything....absolutely everything has chew holes. every chewing critter known to man has come this way this year!!

heather...hail storms i hate those they just kill my plants.

and if you hear back from your d-mail from gg let us know.

and thanks...it feels good to feel better, i wanted to plant more today, but i'm waiting until tomorrow i decided. it's perfect planting weather right now. overcast and warm. but i'll do it early tomorrow morning before the sun hits to hard.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2006 12:09 PM

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I was in a rush this morning to get out and water. My son has to help me pull the hose around but I soooo enjoyed it. Wooohooooo.....makes me smile when I think of going outside! LOL Isn't that nuts?

I had to hurry before the sun got so blasted hot. I'm also taking antibiotics and the doc said.....Do NOT and I mean DO NOT be in the sun when taking these! LOL I guess it must not be good! LOLOL

Lin, I'm so happy that you've joined us. And yes, if you're looking for a great site for coleus you should really check out Mystic's site. Mystic is a member here at DG and has some beauties. She doesn't have a lot now, but they are on sale. I've ordered from her and she is speedy and the plants are very-very nice for the price. Here is her site. http://mystic.scifstore.com/module/store/

I'm swearing off internet coleus shopping next year except for a few places. I've kept a log of my disappointments this year and only plan to order from a few. Drum roll please......

Mystic's
Michel's
Lazy S's Farms
Florida Sun Farms (I didn't order from them, but tobee loved them)

I think we should all think of doing this as I really don't plan to waste my money next year like I did this year. PERIOD!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

brinda...how right you are!!!!!!

i have a secret about where to order. ok...all these new cultivars...we get them from rosy dawn gardens....tom said he had them and avant gardens in mass is great...but you know where most of them come from ....at least this is what i was told and i will only share it with you guys....and i did order from them and they were pricy but the most perfect coleus in the world, the most true to color, huge heathly and why......because THEY introduced them!!!!

hehehehe...another drum role::

singing springs nursery!

florida sun farms is the only other place to get large amounts for me. and i get large amounts! wish they were all
mine.

i also want to report that those i rec'd from rosy dawn are having a difficult time coming into true color. the trailing ones are leggy but coming slowly. toms are still so tiny and i think about him every time i look at them.

ok...i know this is NOT coleus again...but i have to share because i finally got a good picture in the shade garden. i love it!

This message was edited Jun 20, 2006 12:48 PM

Thumbnail by tobee43
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I am not going to enlarge that pic tobee......I DO NOT need another obsession!!!!

But I am going over to Singing Springs to look around again! LOL If I purchase anything I've got to figure out when DH will be working.....if the mailman rings the doorbell again when he is home I'm thinking that I'll be 6' under!!! And I'm not kidding!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.