knolan thread

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Everyone is Welcome here!

CJ, April, Fly-Girl

You asked for it!

Boy am I sweaty and disgusting now! Kitchen has been bleached, mopped and wiped down, toilets have been cleaned, pictures have been dusted and hubby is vacuuming (sorry April....not trying to make you feel bad) as I type. Gotta scrub the tubs and clean up the guest bed room and I'm done. Except for mopping my pork every 45 minutes. Then I'll make stuffed jalapenos, potato salad, cole slaw, corn casserole, a blackberry cobbler, garlic bread and chop the veggies for the salad. IF, I can get most of that done tonight I can plant my bulbines and coreopsis tomorrow am and dig up some old ugly stuff I'm ready to get rid of.

Whew! I needed this break. I might even have a beer (I really don't like beer), naw, a glass of wine.

Cheers!
Kristi

This message was edited Jul 5, 2006 10:56 AM

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

You mop your pork?

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

I hardly have time to mop my floors.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Wet mop vinegar and sugar basting! Every 45 minutes for 12 hours!!!!! It's a SC pulled pork recipe. Very yummy! Made my own sauce too to finish it off with. It shreds after you cook it and you serve it like chopped beef.

K, in reference to the other thread......how did you get a mosquito bite on your bum? Did you moon the people in the elevator? I know they looked at you funny, but you said you smelled. People tend to regard this as something worth staring at. I'm trying to figure this out, then again, don't know if I want any more info? lol

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Hahahahahaha! No, I didn't moon anyone but that is frequently my threat if someone is bothering me ;>}

The skeeters are so big and bad over here they can eat right through your clothes. Never mind I happened to be in my pajama pants. I live right next to a big horse pasture with a great big old pond and they are merciless. Last night, after the rain, I took advantage of the wet ground and went out to pull weeds. They ate my left hand up so bad it was swollen. They bit my bum, my back, my arms and even my ear. I had welts, not bites, all over me.

By the way, I highly recommend gardening in pajamas. They aren't as heavy and hot as denim. And who cares if your neighbors think your a lunatic! Everyone should garden in pajamas. Not neglige's mind you, although my hubby might differ in opinion there. LOL.

Oh my, that's funny! But ouch. They have this new product called 'bug spray'. You can get it about anywhere. That is a good idea, the pajamas, they would be airier than t-shirts. Whenever I garden at night I rub a rosemary twig all over me, it seems to repel mosquitoes. It's pretty strong and stinky, but so is bug spray. Okay.....they also have a product called Calamine. lol

Hey K, can you check out my Garden Art, I entered a little picture and no-one has looked at it. It's really no biggie. If you have the time, between mopping the pork and stuffing the jalepenos? Thanks!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Bug spray is so sticky and yucky and slimy. Just like me right now! And it hurts when you wipe the sweat off your face and the spray gets in your eyes. Killer on the contacts. Hey, I've got a big rosemary in the backyard.....have to try that. Hope my hubby doesn't mistake me for a roast and try to grill me.

Tried straight alcohol and Cala-gel. It helped a little.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

sure I love Garden Art. Get right back at ya!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh, just too cute.....left you a post.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Progress:

7 lb roast is done. 11 lb has at least another 2-3 hours. House is spotless. I might plant the bulbine and coreopsis tonight. Hehehe!

Spring, TX(Zone 9b)

Ok.. give.. want recipes!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Really?

Here goes....it's intense and I've had to quadruple for my shing-ding tomorrow. This is an Emeril recipe and I've tried about 5 others but find this to be the best. I don't make the fried pickles though and I have my own cole slaw recipe that I like better. I'm cooking one 11 lb. roast and another 7.5 lb. (which I just took out and shredded).

Barbecued Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Homemade BBQ Sauce, Cole Slaw, and Fried Pickles Recipe
courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001

Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 4 minutes
Cook Time: 7 hours
Yield: 8 sandwiches

1 boneless pork butt, about 4 pounds
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne
Wet Mop Basting Sauce, recipe follows
Barbecue Sauce, recipe follows
8 Hamburger buns
Kicked Up Cole Slaw, recipe follows
Fried Pickles, recipe follows

Place the pork in a baking dish. In a bowl, combine the sugar, Essence, salt, cumin, paprika, pepper, and cayenne. Rub the seasoning evenly over the pork to coat. Cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat an oven or smoker to 225 degrees F.

Bring the pork to room temperature and place in a roasting pan, fat side up. Slow cook in the oven, basting with the wet mop basting sauce every 45 minutes, until tender and the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. (The cooking should take about 6 to 7 hours.) Remove from the oven and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes.

With a knife and fork or two forks, pull the meat apart into small slices or chunks. Toss with the barbecue sauce, to taste, and divide among the hamburger buns. Top with the coleslaw. Serve with the fried pickles and additional Barbecue Sauce on the side.

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup

Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.

Wet Mop Basting Sauce:
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon salt

The night before you cook the pork, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk well. Refrigerate and let the flavors blend overnight.
Yield: 2 1/4 cups

Barbecue Sauce:
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and whisk well to dissolve the sugar. Place in a squeeze bottle and dress the pulled pork sandwiches to taste.
Yield: about 2 cups

Fried Pickles:
1 (16-ounce) jar whole dill pickles
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons hot red pepper sauce
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons Essence, plus more for dusting
4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
Salt

Drain the pickles in a colander, then spread on paper towels to drain completely.
Combine the buttermilk and hot sauce in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, and 2 tablespoons of Essence.

Heat the oil in a medium pot to 350 degrees F.

Submerge the pickles in batches in the buttermilk, then dip into the flour mixture, tossing to evenly coat. Shake in a strainer to remove any excess batter. Add to the oil in batches, turning, until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels, and season with Essence and salt, to taste. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.

Serve hot.

Yield: about 6 servings

Cole Slaw:
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons buttermilk
4 teaspoons celery seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
3 cups shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 head cabbage)
3 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1/2 head cabbage)
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup grated yellow onion
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley

In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, vinegar, buttermilk, celery seeds, salt, pepper, and cayenne, and whisk well to dissolve the sugar.
In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Toss with the dressing until evenly coated. Adjust seasoning, to taste. Place in the refrigerator, covered, to chill slightly before serving.

This is VERY vinegary and the smell might catch you off guard. Trust me, when it's all said and done, this is what you want. It is sooooooo good. Even the toddlers will eat it. I do cut the amount of crushed red pepper in half though.

Kristi

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Also, my pork is "bone-in" so requires a little longer cooking time.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm about to fall asleep. The big roast is coming out if it's done or not. Thank goodness I took a bath already ...I'm ready to fall asleep in my office. Everything is planted. The house is clean and the big cooking items are done.

Good Night to All,
Kristi

Wow, K, maybe you should be a chef, those recipes sound delicious! I've never heard of fried pickles I bought 2 of Rachel Ray's books recently. I like the idea of 30 minute meals and her enthusiasm, hoping it would come through her books...still waiting. I can't do her recipes in 30 minutes. I have problems cooking things simultaneously, so a 30 minute meal for her is a 1.5 meal for me. Maybe it just takes practice. And she'll call for weird stuff....like Old Bay seasoning or parmigiano reggiano cheese.....still haven't found that one.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

I just want to know why she didn't invite all of us over to taste this yummy spread!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Just saw this thread - didn't realize that you had actually gone ahead and done it, Kristi! That food sounds so good, and I am sitting here with merely a cup of coffee!! Now I'm hungry! No! - I have to get back to my yard. It's nice outside.
CJ, wondering what's in the fridge right now....

Have a GREAT celebration and congratulate your sister for me... (Does she know Terry and Melanie Bratton?)

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Come on down to Sugar Land for a big barbecue! Everyone is invited!

Ceejay... I'll ask her.

No, no, just save us a few left overs, we don't want to crash the party.

Sure we do! ;-)

I have a cravin for some fried pickles!

You know we could just make her invite us down next weekend- she wouldn't have to make as much!

I think the 11 lb pork would be enough. Those pulled pork sandwiches do sound yummy! We could help plant the coreopsis and the bulbine while you're cooking.....always willing to pitch in ;)

Fly-_girl! Good idea, like an old time barn raising...well sort of, we will do the planting and kristi can feed us! I like the sound of that!

Yeah...a barn raising! I'll wear my boots. I have some 2-way radios, (DH is Mr. Gadget) and with K inside cooking, we could talk to her when we're outside planting and dancing. Does she have a barn? Great idea April!

If she doesn't have one I am sure she needs one!

Who doesn't? I bet one could be ordered online. If K ordered one today, tomorrow at the latest, we could have one for the partay!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Ya'll are sooo funny!

I don't have a barn but I have a shed. Would that work? I'll plug some party lights in around the door.

Party was a huge success...I'm exhasuted. Today, the ac in the house has gone out. Thanks goodness it waited to blow until this morning. We're anxiously awaiting the service man. I have a feeling that this time it will be time for a new unit. One step forward 10 steps back. And I wanted to go and buy my roses today!!!!

Sure I'll feed ya'll. But not pulled portk. If I even smell it again for the next 6 months, well, you know....

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

And the Good Lord was smiling on us today. AC unit had a burned out wire. $100 total and the house is starting to cool down.

Good to hear it was a good party! Not good about the AC, it always goes out on the hottest day of the year, doesn't it? Ooh good thing it didn't go out yesterday, pizza or Mcdonalds wouldn't have been the same!

No pulled pork?, what about the cole slaw and the fried pickles?

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I can do the cole slaw and fried pickles and any other accompaniments....just not pulled pork.

The party ended around 9:00 and I got to snuggle down with a good book until I fell asleep with my glasses on.

Glad that the party was a success - like we ever doubted that! So lucky about the AC! Yikes I remember one house we leased, the AC went out EVERY summer! The guy's friend kept telling him he didn't need to replace it, that he could fix it, yadayada...after the 3rd year we put our foot down and the guy replaced the unit! Nothing worse than being w/o air- kind of makes you wonder how the areas of the country w/ such bad heat ever got settled by the pioneers- I know that I would never have moved west!

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know how anyone lived here before ac. I'm a native to this swamp and still not used to it. And I DO believe it's getting hotter every year. We were really lucky on the AC, this time. He warned us there's maybe 6 more months of life in it. It's the original unit when the house was built. I'm actually amazed it's lasted this long.

Yeah I have been here for about 26 years and still not used to it. Some summers are hotter than others, last summer was awful. I guess this summer hasn't seemd so bad because we've had some rain. Still it's plenty hot.

When my daughter and son-in-law bought a house a few years ago, it was older, built in the lates 70s w/ the original AC unit. They closed and moved in the 1st part of June. They were in the house about a month when the AC went out. They had a home warranty that said they had to live in the house for 6 mos or something before the warranty would pay for repairs, but when they told them the particulars the warranty paid- good thing because they had nothing in savings after paying move in costs, etc. But they were w/o AC for a few days- they stayed w/ me.

Hi y'all! I think we should start a Forum called 'Cottage Gardens'. What do you think?

Oh, without Ac would be brutal.....and back in the pioneer days they wore all those clothes; petticoats, long sleeves, long dresses, just about long everything. How awful. If I was born back then, there's NO way that I would've worn that stuff!

K, glad to hear your AC is back on.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Did ya'll wath the Texas Ranch life on PBS back in May? Soooo hot but boy, would that be fun to participate in one of those programs. The family that was on there was pathetic! Whining, complaining, the wife undermined her husband and the cowboys the whole time. And they didn't even harvest the garden when everything was ready! The poor old cowboys were starving for something other than tortillas and beans and here there was a rotting garden! I was yelling at the TV the whole time. You woulda thought I was watching football and I was a man.

Like the cottage garden idea.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I did not watch it in May, but I noticed they started it back up from the beginning 2 weeks ago. I Tivo'd it the last few weeks, but have not had a chance to watch them. Sounds like I will enjoy it. :)

I was thinking we already had a cottage garden forum, but it looks like I was wrong. Maybe someone asked for one, but I can't find it. Fly_girl, I think you should post a thread asking for one in the Dave's Garden Forum. I think you would have plenty of interest.

A/C sense when a party is taking place. That has happened to me during a major family reunion in July - celebrating DH's aunt & uncle's 50 wedding anniversary and renewal of vows - in our home, then again the following year when I threw a big party to say farewell to a much beloved guy from work who was moving - also in July. A choir party...several others. We have replaced the monster, but even the newer one likes to play games and mess with our minds (and bodies).

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.