Coleus Chatters June 25-July 1

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning ALL

Con't from http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/616384/#new

Thumbnail by Brinda
Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Who one here has the most varietys of Coleus?

Lavina

(Zone 9a)

Lavina, it certainly is not me! I'd say Hap or Sugar probably. I started all mine from seed this year and gave over half away. I'm just happy I have 2 that are turning pink and one that is green! LOL!

Ok, here's my skater dudes and the quarter pipe in use. The wood on the front is still wet that's why it looks so strange...or dirty. The whole thing still needs painted...or decorated "sk8er" style. LOL!

The kids just showed up a minute ago for something, in the rain. They are still so excited. Yesterday when it was nearly completed they started yelling at all their friends to come up and try it. They put it in one of the kid's basements, so I have an idea that they were up till about 3:00 in the morning.

This has been so much fun. I hope they come back to visit.

Calvin told me I should get a board, he thinks I'd do pretty good on one. I haven't laughed so hard in years. He was being serious when he said it.

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
(Zone 9b)

We should have a coleus parade. All taking turns to post one pic than another person posts one and on and on. In the end we can count the winner.......who can get a prize. LOL Of another coleus but of course!!

Oh Brin, that coleus is amazing. I am in love.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Kell, you're into the contest thing again, are you? I'm in. Soon as my batteries charge I will take a new pick of something.

Heather, you and Mark are wonderful people to help those kids. It's people like you that keep kids off the streets, but course in this case.......LOL

Now to my dinner menu....Still hungry?

Horses:
Started out with Cream Cheese, Ricotta Cheese, fresh basil, wasabi powder, fresh garlic, S&P piped onto crackers.

Dinner:
Then we had a fresh tossed salad topped with a Balsamic vinaigrette dressing I made with fresh basil, parsley, oregano and garlic. The I opened my spice cabinet and just picked up what jumped in my hand.

Meat was a Beef Wellington ala Chef Nancy. Instead of using the usual duxelle, I covered the fillet with Blue Cheese before I wrapped it in puff pastry.

The potato was made in a pie crust,....I know, I know, more pastry, but that is what the birthday boy wanted. After the the potatoes are put in the bottom crust, a small amount of minced onion and a 3/4 cup of heavy cream plus 1 TBS of butter is put in. Then topped with the other crust and baked.

I served broccoli florets with slivered red bell pepper tossed in garlic and oil.

Also had the Eggplant dish that I gave the recipe before.

I lucked out because one of the guests brought a cheese cake for dessert. So I was off the hook for that.

And so it was 6/24/06 at 6pm.

And I have just enough left for supper tonight. Isn't that convenient????

Hap

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I was lucky enought to be honored with one of those wonderful dinners of Happy's. The most elegant meal I ever had and delish!!
Well, I have over 500 coleus plants, but several are multiples because I propigate and then plant masses of them. Tigerlily, Tobee, and Dale are all pros, so they also have hundreds. I have around 30 named varieties and even a few un-named.
I ask Chris about this one and he said;

Quoting:
'Scuttlebutt', but that's in limited distribution. It might be 'Rose Explosion'

It is very hardy and I will be making cuttings of it.
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

OH....OH..........Oh........

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

500 coleus.....aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggg; how long have you been doing coleus??

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

500 makes my little 10 seem real small.
How big is the yard these are in or are they in a green house?

Lavina

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It's her yard, Lavina. She has only posted parts and spatters. Never a big view. Well, Sidney?

Well I ,wrote a nice reply about how many of those were repeats, 100 Scarlet Wizard, 50 Defiance and 40 Jade wizards, etc.. It got cyber gobbled!!!
You have all seen all I have. It takes alot of one kind to circle a Brug or plant a bank of a single kind. They are so easy to root and they are pretty planted that way, or you can wait fo 1 to get big and make the same statement.
I started 2 years ago and just do them outside, so they have to be tough to hang here. The one above made it thru the winter, got scragly for a while but have all bounced back.
I also got 8 or 9 mixed 54 plant flats this year and sorted them into single kinds then planted them in circles or banks.
I got the idea from the entrances to some malls and hospitals.
I hope this "Chinese Pagoda" will be a quick download
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I love that, Sidney. That's a winner. I keep forgetting to propogate my Defiance, and I love it. But, it doesn't take my afternoon sun too well, but bounces back in the evening.

(Zone 9b)

WOW Chinese Pagoda is my type of coleus!!! I LOVE it. Today I bought more but most are very dark.

Oh Hap. I love blue cheese. I have never made Wellington. It sounds incredible. I made a pie tonight. I went to the Farmers' Market in Marin and got boysenberries and peaches. It was delish!!

Those skater dudes are sure having lots of fun!! Oh to be young again!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I wouldn't want to be young again and go through all this a second time. Once is enough. It's work!!!!

Good Nite my dear...

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Have ya'll been online ALL weekend? If I'd known, I would've joined you.

GOOD MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORNING!

On the fly, so this'll be short.

Wish is could've been there to help build the skate ramp! My kinda project, and the boys are PRICELESS! Great Job Heathrjoy! You can bring them on a road trip to Houston and stay with us anytime. We'll go out on the boat, too (if he ever gets it into the water!)

I spread OSMOCOTE this Saturday morning, and yes, it was the CRACK of dawn. It is much easier than the MG spray. Every single plant in the garden got some. I like the idea of every two weeks. Maybe I was being optimistic, because I tell you I believe I see a difference already!

OOH OOOH . Guess what I did!!!!??? Remember the dying Persian Shield? After I took cuttings (which ALL died..) off the main plant, I was determined to keep this plant alive. It was staying so dry, looked like it was burned, but there was new growth trying to come out. Well, I decided it needed some humidity, but I could'nt figure out how to keep it moist. I put it into a white paper bag and noticed the blooms started comeing out more. Then I realized it needed more light. Sooooo (and God bless me), when my DMIL came home from the hospital they sent all her supplies home in this tremendously huge clear plastic drawstring bag! Guess where that Persian Shield is THRIVING! It's an instant greenhouse. There was moss growing on the soil, which I understand is a valuable thing in the garden. It's just greening up and spreading. The plastic is a heavy guage (mil) and the drawstring let's in enough air circulation to keep the soil from going sour? That plant it turning IRRIDESCENT PURPLE! The leaves are moist and pliable. Praise God for brains!!!

Now. DH asked me last night what I intend to do with all the container plants come winter. Our garage can't hold a slip of paper. I really need your help, because I've invested mega $$$$$$ on the perennial plants I've bought this summer. I chose perennials so I wouldn't have to spend nearly as much money next summer. Bringing them into the house is totally out.

If anyone has a schematic for a small greenhouse they've built, I would surely appreciate seeing it. He can build anything, and I'd love to have him put something in the back corner of the yard. It's where I do most of my potting anyway. I just need to know what a greenhouse needs to make it through the winter. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

Sugar,
I, too, must wear an underwire bra at ALL times, and have since I was 12 yrs. old. Couldn't possibly have foreseen the advantages when I was 12 -- It was a curse back then. However, today my costly endowment is a total benefit! Is this TMI? Anyway, I've paid an average of $25 for every everyday bra I own, except the "frog" bras I buy from Title IX to work out in the gym (they cost $50 each and I have SIX). Ladies, they are fabulous, and believe me when I say you will NEVER bounce wearing one of these!

PLEEZE tell me about this Walcoate? I can get it at Dillards? Please post the link to their website. I've not owned pretty bras in my life. Only functional ones....NEVER PUT THEM IN THE DRYER, EITHER!

Geez, this was supposed to be a short post! Duh!!!!!!!!

Happy Monday to all!

Bartow, FL(Zone 9a)

Who knows the name of the coleus that Brinda started this thread with? I love it. It is so neat that it makes me think a little of my Lavender Lace. See below.

Thumbnail by MotherNature4
Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Brinda get in here and tell us what it is....

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

MN4, the name is Fishnet Stockings! I should have lightened the pic before hitting send....but it is a gorgeous one.

Your Lavender Lace is so pretty. Post more pics for us!!!!

GM all.....it's a lovely day outside today. I've been up for hours just puttering around in the garden. Now I really need to get to work and since my quota is due tomorrow. Ugh!

Where is tobee? I'm missing her and her stories!

Heather....the ramp looks great! You and DH have done a great job for those boys and they will remember this for a long time to come. Hopefully you've made a definate impression on them!

GG...do a google search for Wacoal http://www.wacoal-america.com/ they sure have some pretties! In my area, Dillards has them.

Thanks for the menu Hap! I'm starving now! LOL

Sidney, I'm drooling over that Chinese Pergola! Did you dump a gallon of fishE on it to get such bright colors?

Oh speaking of fish E.....LOL.....I did Bill's last night (while getting eaten by mosquitoes) and DH came out in the dark and found me by the smell. LOL He hates that smell!

Kell? You got more coleus? Girlfriend....I need to come shopping with you. It's pretty boring around here where coleus are concerned in the nurseries!

Gotta run.....Hugz!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL Loretta, I was typing when you were.

I think Kell just bought a ton of it! Didn't you post some pics of Fishnet Stockings Kell?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Here it is again after I lightened the pic.

Thumbnail by Brinda

I'm just wondering do you get lots of cats in your yard with the FE???I sure don't want that...I bought some and no wonder your DH found you...lol...the smell...

How much Fish E are ya'll using? I had a mild fishy smell for awhile in the yard, but ya'll sound like it should smell like a fish MARKET!

Thats what the guy told me at Lowes...It really stinks...

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

a wonderful cup of joe for you guys.....or in our case a cup of happiness; thought about yall when i was plantin this sucker up:)

Thumbnail by sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

yet another so you can see the handle and that it is a coffee cup; its raining this morning!!!!!

Thumbnail by sticks_n_stones
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Joni, I do love your cups! Soooo pretty!

I didn't buy fishE.....but Bill's fertilizer must be all fishE. It absolutely reaks of fish guts! And I'm not kidding you at all. And it's even worse if you apply on a hot & humid evening when the wind isn't blowing. And that was the way it was last night. Ugh!

Loretta.....I don't know if I have cat problems or not. But I sure think that I do. Every morning when I go out something is laid over or broken. I was sooo disappointed this morning when I went out to find my Fishnet Stockings broken off at the ground. Shoot.....I'm sure the neighbor's cat was looking for a fish bone.

Okay here I am with some hints. Take wire coat hangers and cut them into 6" to 10" pieces and place them around the plants cats can't lay on a bed of nails.
Go ahead and root those Fishnets Brinda. In 2 weeks you'll have 4 x's as many.
The FE or Bills is used 1T to 1 gallon and it would probably be less cat-tectable when more diluted and poured around root line. I too however mix it with spray n grow just to get everything at the same time. I am going to do the pour thing tonight on a double ring of 45 rose wizard plants that are just sitting there. They should be big and bushy, but are just sitting there.
I may also get some more osmacote this week.
I will not be purchasing Bills in the future, but stick to plain ole FE in the quart bottle for less than ten dollars.
Joni, I love that coffee cup and my buddy Betty has one about 12" across. Is yours that big? Does it have drain holes? Hers does.
I also like many of you don't do the bra thing at home. I am however trying to devise a sweat band for that area, LOL. You all know what I mean.
Well need to go take Jeremy some mail boxes and then come back and order some for myself. Some people just don't know you can order them online for free.
Sidney

Oh no...thats heartbreaking...Try to save you some pieces...My neighbor just closed his window...My yard sure is stinking...lol...I think I better water it in good...I'll try to get the smell down...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh no Sidney......I mixed 2 tablespoons of Bill's per gallon! Uhoh! No wonder I have cats in my garden! I swear that was what I read on the bottle. LOL I really need glasses!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sid...it is 8 inches across and yes drain holes and i got it at my dollar store....

Well, let me go check, I just did and you did what I do, didn't read carefully. It says mix 2T SnG to 1 gallon, let set for 15 min, if it's not slightly brown add 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Should be slighty brown Then add 1T of Bills and 1 t of that coco wet. WHAT a Hype!!!
Well, any how just use 1 tablespoon of Bills in the future.
Sidney

I am headed to the dollar store in the morning!
Joni, you should buy those $ plants and put them in those $ cups and scatter a few $10. potted goodies around your store.
Yes?
;)

GG, I forgot to tell you that most perenials go dormant in the falland then come back in the spring. The GH forum has many hoop houses and other things for ideas.
Also folks in Houston found twinkle lights kept some tender plants alive during the cold snap of Dec 2004.
;)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

well, the planter was 5.00 smackers...and they only had one more left and it is ugly yellow....couldn't figure out what would look good in it....so i took it back....; do i have a life? NO...i will keep thinking ....in fact, i think i just thunk of it....the yellow and red coleus would look good in it....but then i will have to have a matching something else in it....hmmmmmmmm

i did get a little greenhouse 2 wks ago....6 ft x 4 ft x something else...i am going to try using it as a lean too type greenhouse against my sunroom ....cause it is pretty flimsy and those winds ....but what i am really trying to find out is how much i will use it so next year i can have a REAL greenhouse and grow millions of things yada yada yada....

Thanks Sug.

I mixed my Alaska brand fertilizer 3 tbls. to 1 gallon in the hand-held sprayer. It didn't REEK of fish, but you knew fish were there.

Sug, what's a hoop house? I'm mostly worried about the coleus overwintering safely. I also have a bunch of those tropicals on the patio. DH says he just put blankets over everything. Or he put tarpaulins out and walled in the patio. That's an idea that might work, too. I just don't want to lose all the plants I've invested time and $$$$ into. I'd like to see a "return" on the investment next growing season.

P.S. When does the Houston growing season end? So I'll know when to STOP putting the Osmocote on. Thanks.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

GG...you are in such a great zone and I'm wondering why you need to overwinter inside? What are your lowest temps?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL I just answered my own question! http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-sm1.html I'd be thrilled to have those temps. But I bet you don't have them for long, right? Maybe a night or two?

Brinda,
I can count the times we've dropped down to 20 to 25 degrees in Zone 9a. More like 5 times in 5 years! Our lowest average off the top of my head is somewhere between 48-50 degrees for the winter. A lot of time, it's actually warmer than that. I've worn my overcoat about twice in the last three years. Just a jacket over layered sweaters.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Man....I need to move to Houston! I'd love it sooo much to have temps like that. All my tropicals would be fine left in the ground and I wouldn't have to lug huge pots in & out every year!

OR Florida Brinda, and I'm in the almost colder part of the state. I too can count on my hand the below 30º temps we got this year. I get sheets at estate and garage sales to use in the "Winter?" here. When it's gonna get cold, I just throw sheets over everything and remove the next morning. If it's going to be real cold I put some white mini Christmas lights gently around the tender plants and then add the sheet, then plug in the lights.
Thre streets of Jacksonville look quite funny with folks wraping their Banana plants to where they look like big ghouls. I used my ralph lauren down quilt this year to protect my heirloom tomato plant. It makes wonderful tomatoes year round. Some are the size of english peas.
A hoop house is where you take 20' pieces of PVC pipe and stick one end over a piece of re-bar(Sticking up of course) and then stick the other end on another piece of rebarb about 6 or 8 feet away. You do this about 2 feet apart and end up with something you can put plans under and cover with clear heavy plastic. At work we call that plastic Visqueen. Anyhow that's a rough ideal of a hoop house.

Joni, Oh that dollar store, as in the family kind, or general kind?
I thought the cup was rather big for our Dollar Tree. I did find 2# cartons of epsom salt at mine though.
I guess it wouldn't be a big $$$ maker, unless you priced em at 20 instead.
I love impatients in a color reflected in the leaves and a contrasting ornamental sweet potato vine as a mixed planting any where. Guess you could tell that from my garden.
Sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.