SOLVED: Where on Earth did this come from?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Just got this today. Jnana has given up. The Plant Person did not know what, where, or when it came to be or what to do with it.

Side view. Just look at those stems. I'm afraid to put it in the ground......

Hap

Someone.......HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This message was edited Jun 26, 2006 5:48 PM

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

This is the top

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know what it is, but it sure is strong and healthy.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

It looks like Cardinal Flower...Lobelia cardinalis, I just went out and looked at ours. Yours is much fuller but the colors and all seem to match

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/379/index.html

Bartow, FL(Zone 9a)

Almost looks like the start of Jack's Beanstalk, but it isn't a bean for sure.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

I think it looks wonderful!

But what do I know lol

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Mother,,,,that's exactly what I said when I saw it. I am not going to take it out of the pot until I find out if it knows where the pot of gold is. Otherwise, I think that it will just be the biggest thing that I have ever seen. Ya gotta wonder when a noted nursery "gives" the plant away.... It makes me scarred..... a lot.

Floridan, the individual leaves are about 1" x 3" ...not a little guy.

Hap

thanks all....please don't stop....

If you don't hear from me again, please send the troops for I'm been taken somewhere....LOL

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL if we do not hear from you I guess we will have to come over and climb the "stalk" to find you at the house of the giant! LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Magoo, you got that right.

I am really hesitant to put it in the ground until I find out what it is.

The bottom of this 20' plant, one stalk mind you, is at least 1 1/2". It's got to grow into one big Sucker....

Hap

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

Well give us your address if you decide to plant it and for heavens sake if it gets that big DO NOT CLIMB TO THE TOP!

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

Happy, you must have meant 20" (inches), not 20' (feet)?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

You are right, Missy.

Sorry, I just have delusions of granduer.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

well let's wait and see if it gets 20' LOL or taller ! To be "the" beanstalk am sure it will far surpass that!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

it reminds me a little of barleria, but none i've ever seen before. maybe on steroids? i looked around the acanthus family in my Tropica book, but didn't come up with anything.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I think that this one is going to be one for the books. The nice thing about this nursery is that they literally travel the globe for plants. The bad thing about that is that sometimes they forget what they bought. So this could come from China, Africa, etc.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

It looks a bit like my primrose biennis. It is a wildflower. Maybe it is a relative.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Windy.

Primroses have slender stems. The stem on this is at least 1" across at the bottom. It looks like a broom handle.

Colts Neck, NJ(Zone 7a)

Floridian already identified it for you - lobelia cardinalis. Just wait another month or so and you will have the most gorgeous red flowers.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

But the leaves to not look anything like the lobelia. They are very stiff and with little white points on them. They are almost leathery.

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

I've seen it and I don't think it looks like Lobelia at all. The leaves are bigger, stiff, and leathery. The stem is spongy resembling something that stores water. This one has me completely stumped. I've looked in all my books and online and can't find anything that looks like it.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

THANK YOU, VAL.....

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

has anyone looked at the book "Jack and the Beanstalk" for some clarification??

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

HUMMMMMMMM....maybe I should.

When I went out this am it looked at me long and hard. I didn't see a smile either....

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

LMAO!!!!!!! had it GROWN????

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Hap, why don't you post on the European Forum?
http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/eu/all/

Also, try a D-mail to kennedyh in Australia. He travels the world and has posted more plants to plantfile than anyone.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/threads.php?user=kennedyh

Have you put up a guard fence around it yet? LOL
Pati

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Ms. Pati......the fence is going in as we speak. Really. Thanks to Hurricane Wilma. But I think it will be needed for.....uh.....think I'll have to name this one. LOL

I will get in touch with ken and the eu forum. Thanks for the idea.

Hap

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Magnificent!!

I'm wistfully hoping for a beanstalk.

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

yes a fence would be good for that ummmm beanstalk

A TALL fence! Cannot wait to see what happens with this... well..... Plant?

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

An interestingly beautiful specimen .. for sure, tho'!

.. magoobu ..
Should the beautiful beast 'rise' to the occasion; one needn't worry about climbing up - I'd be more concerned with what may opt to descend the stalk! .. heehee ..

.. Hap ..
Ya mite oughta consider keepin' an axe handy; a big'un. Or, yer chainsaw! .. LOL ..

Now, I'm as curious as the rest of you guys ...

- Magpye

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

Mags!!!!! the descending part I never thought about UGH!!!! the giant could be coming down the stalk Hmmmmmmm

too funny, I wish I had something that lush growing in my yard!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Magpye,

Hadn't given that aspect a thought. My this is getting interesting.

I just went out and, curiously, the leaves are about half folded up like a prayer plant does at night. HUM.....this is getting stranger by the minute.

I measured yesterday afternoon at 24 1/2 ". I'll be interested to see if it's bigger today.....when I really get up. This is just doggy-potty time.

Hap

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Beautiful plant. Love the color in the crowns.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

WEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOO.....WWWWEEEOOOOO... (That's a siren for Alert...Alert...

"THE KID" has grown 2 inches since yesterday afternoon; less than 24 hours.

I am thinking that I better wait in putting him in a bigger pot. Wonder if he's a meat eater? Oh my..

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

WoW
I can see it from here!!
Hey... It's blocking my beautiful view of the sunrise this morning!!!!
LOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

mistake

This message was edited Jun 29, 2006 8:58 AM

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Give Jack and the Golden Goose my regards!

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Well, I am putting this on my watch thread and please post when something happens to identify it. I am anxious to see what this thing is.

Moorhead, MN

Whatever it is hope you will save the seed if it flowers would love to try it in my back yard- are you sure someone isn't treating it with Messenger while you aren't looking?? LOL- I need something tall and lush to block a bad view!!

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Wow, there are so many things that it could be, but just not that burly; it's a brute! Post us a pic when it blooms. I'm putting it on my watch list too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.