Coleus Chatters July 2-8

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

my birthday present from my hubbie

Thumbnail by sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

nother pic....too late in the season to start growing something up the side....

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

final pic....

Pearl River, LA

ohh gymgirl you are too much....you know MM"s are too old to make babies of the human form.......I only make plant babies these days....I am even past the another grandbaby stage.....next on the list for me great granbabies.....whee....right now I am just happy with plant babies.....and the latest addition to the family is a spoiled puppy named
Gus...who we babysit.. now that is a baby!!!!!!MM Congrats on your wedding I saw the pic...you are a great looking couple......

hi Hap thanks for the welcome.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Sticks,
That is simply gorgeous!
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear Sti-icks--------------!
Happy Birthday to you!

And many mooooooooooooooooooooooooore!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

gg ...your so cute!!! thank you:)

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Alright I log off and yall are busier than Beavers.
Pati of course wants that gardener to resemble Paul Newman, sans Ms Woodward, of course.

Joni when is/was the BD? Please don't tell me we missed it. Good Hubby you have there. What kind of vines are you thinking of next year? It is a beautiful trellis!!!

For 20 years I spent the 4th at Roaring Springs and resembled a Lobster on the 5th thru 9th, or whenever we peeled, sometimes 3 times. We didn't have sunscreen and nothing short of dynamite was going to keep us out of the water.
Afterwards we mopped our bodies with vinegar until DGM's house reaked of it for a week.

Joni, Does you edger need to be electric???
;)

Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

that tain't that the most gorgeous of birthday presents! One fortunate lady. DH bought me running boards for my pickup last Valentines Day. Oh such a wonderful present.

What a romantic you have petra. I bet it was hard to controll your emotions with a valentines gift like that. Did he install them too or leave that task for his Honey?
;)

Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

Actually that was what I asked for. He was looking at the ads in the paper for V.D. & told him no jewelry nor flowers, if you're going to get me something I want running boards for my pickup. He went down & ordered top of the line & they are nice. My oldest grandson had said he'd install them, but was extremely busy at that time, so had the neighbor across the street do it. DH had already decided that he & SIL wouldn't be doing it, as they had installed the ones on DHs pickup & they are not setting level. At a much younger time in my life, possible I'd attempted it, but no longer.

I hear ya Petra, LOL I guess that was a good then.
;)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i am thinking that electric will be the only thing i can really figure out...

bd...is the 11th

he is a sweet boy

will have to investigate vines...i hate the idea of starting over everyyear with a vine ...suppossedly there is a rose or 2...that do well in part shade....i love roses...

petra i hear ya...i almost asked for an edger cause i am too cheap to go buy one....would rather gritch about doing it with scissors....yup scissors....

I'll take pictures of mine in the morning.
;)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Manicure scissorrs, Sticks? Now that would get attention.

petra, hiya......where a pix of the doggie?

Now a pickup, that's an idea for me.

Good nite..

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

good morning all!!!

i have been lurking in and out and way to busy to write the usual morning "book". we have been busy with the planning of the state fair flower show. i'm being pushed again...hate that. we had three separate meetings yesterday and i didn't get home until after 4. i'm being pushed to enter...(hate competing!). and i will have to give up my one judging position and do a clerking slot if i do enter certain categories. i was entering buy only with one very small entry...so now i'm thinking about it...ahhhhhh....biggest problem i have is i plant in foam pots because ceramic crack so readily, but in the pro division everything must be in clay. also i have a problem with my hanging pots they weigh approx 50 pounds so that's a problem in itself. i do have some small ones, but i have to watch their progress. so i'm going to give it another week or two thought. my business partner feels it's good advertising, i'm just not sure! i think in a about two weeks i'll take pics and get all your opinions first before i decide what i'm going to do.

welcome shirleyt! happy happy birthday sticks!! love you brinda, gg, hap, sid, and pati and whomever i missed!!

sticks...i really LOVE your entrance! goes to show what one can do with a sidewalk....i may speak to you about borrowing one of those pics because i'm doing a talk for the county on how important "entrances" are and what is so great about yours is that it shows what one can do with a "sidewalk" entrance which so many people have, but don't know what to do with. i.e.: yours is an example of what to do correctly and with class! also...as long as the area gets at least morning sun you should be fine with the roses. i have trellis' in deep shade that sport kiwi vines and lace hydrangea vines, (those cultivars of hydrangea grow extremely slow, but once they take off watch out! this year i have a new cultivar that is variegated and quite lovely and continues color in the deep shade).

we continue to have rain daily. yesterday we had heavy rains again... so i have had to do no major watering except all the pots, which i even water in the pouring rain. we are still "draining" from the floods. lou had to order two auto shut off sub pumps yesterday so we don't have to keep running like mad people when the water gets too low.

brinda...OMG with the water bill situation! we of course, have wells here. mine is most likely so full from all the rain...so even though we had the flood...we are blessed in another way.

today is bill paying day! yucky....and i have to fax an estimate over...( a small job) i thought i was finished for the season. i suppose that's good...but i want to rest now and enjoy my own garden!

talk to ya all later!!

xoxoxoxox

ps edited for usual typo's

This message was edited Jul 6, 2006 7:16 AM

Pearl River, LA

Good Morning..... I have checked on th PLANT babies and they are smiling at me today...cloudy day and nice rains last night....just what they need.....everything looks great... I did three new pots and about forty new plants.... we'll see. Plan to do more today but right now it is coffee time.. MM......

cuticle scissors, well that's real despiration. LOL
I took some pictures of my 2 semi/antique edgers that I use. They are both very effective. The rolling one is a Green Thumb tool and the Blade with step on extension is by Craftsman. I got both at yard sales. I love them.
Shirley, your catching on quick.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Well, that one was big enough!
Here's the heads. Notice how easy they are to attach to new handles, which actually have little pressure on them.
This groundcover is thick and bright.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning All! Oh Joni, your birthday present is just beautiful! For this year, you should plant hyacinth bean vine on it. It isn't too late and they are so pretty. The foliage is very nice and green and they have beautiful purple spikes (blooms) on them. I do love them for an annual vine and they are more than easy! I will see if I can find a pic.

Sidney, you've got too many tools! LOL My DH would say that there is no such thing! I guess that's why we get along so well.....I can't every have too many plants....and he can't ever have too many tools. And I do so love your ground cover in the pic above. Is it creeping jenny?

tobee, great to see you again! How is the knee? Competing or not competing....you're always a winner in our book. Just don't take on too much!!! You have to take care of that knee so you can get better! Who will do your 6 hour watering job if you don't take care of it?

Pati, did you have a beautiful 4th of July? I thought of you most of the day!

petra, Hi & welcome to our lil world! Jump in and join us.....we love people!

shirleyt....nice to see you again! Please tell me....cuz I'm sure I missed it somewhere. Is your name Shirley? Or MM? I'm happy for you that your babies are doing well!

Hi Hap, GG, Heather, Sue, Kell, Loretta.......who did I miss? Oh yeah....that lurker Kin! LOL HI KIN!!! And maybe Chris....where is that boy????? Oh and Dale....Hi Dale! I love your pics so much. They are a great inspiration to all of us!

Man, I don't know if it's cuz we had a holiday this week or if it's because I babysat for two days or if it's just because I'm lazy! LOL This week seems to be dragging to me and I haven't accomplished much of anything. We are having company tomorrow night and I had hoped to have everything potted up and all my messes cleaned up. And then I need to pick up the house and do a bit of cleaning! I just seem to wonder around the house, in and out of my office and get nothing accomplished. Man.....I GOTTA GET THE LEAD OUT! Any words of wisdom out there to get me moving???? LOLOL

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Well, I can't find the pic I wanted to post of the hyacinth bean vine. Here is a pic of a flower spike.....the foliage for the vine is on the right of the pic. Not a good pic at all....but you get the idea.

Thumbnail by Brinda
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

You are NEVER too old to make memories!! Just before my watermelon cutting ceremony, I rushed out to the middle of the street to watch the Discovery space ship blast off. It looked like it was launching right at the end of the street......the huge white plume was awesome....and it climbed, and climbed and climbed. Just before it left the earth's atmosphere, the sun caught the whole ship, and for a few seconds the whole rocket was visible, glowing as pure gold, and then slipped out of sight.

Neighbors from several strreet had gathered (we have the best viewing place), and the cheers and tears and goosebumps were shared for the awesome sight of this voyage to the stars! What magnificent fireworks for our 4th of July!!!!

This was an anniversery of sorts for me too. Before everything was made "comfy" for the visitors at Canerveral, I slept on the beach with my children to watch Alan Shephard make the first manned suborbital flight. What a difference.....but bravery is still the key!

What a glorius 4th it turned out to be!!!!!!
Pati

Yes Brinda, that I've been told is creeping Jenny. I also had the Hyacyth Bean and highly recommend it.
I thought it would self seed, but don't seem to find any.
;)

Pearl River, LA

Brinda my name is shirley but my daughter is a coach and me and my hubby are known as everybodys Maw Maw and Paw Paw......we go to the VB games and cook special dishes for the coaches hospitality room during tournaments. I am world famous for my roast beef and potatoe salad and especially fudge.... I refuse to tell them that is the easiest fastet food to prepare....let them think I slave..... thus the MM according to how old I am feeling....am I Shirley or am I MM????????

Pattishell that must have been an awesome sight.....my daughter saw a blast off several years ago......she still talks about how awesome it was....

This message was edited Jul 6, 2006 10:38 AM

Well I'd think here you can be Shirley, my MMs would all be over 100.
;)

Pearl River, LA

ok sugar shirley it is.....

LOL
;)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sid you have muscles...i don't and i have a bunged up arm....fell of the roof last year...broken in 3 places didn't grow back right....so i will need electricity at least.....OH IS THAT where the POOL MAN COMES IN??

brinda love that pic....is that vine a perennial...and is it shade growing?? i am thinking it was but will go have a look...

tobee...thanks on the front entrance....i guess to each its own.....in another forum they said it was TOO MUCH...and that it looked like the front to an antique store and that i needed to paint every other slat on my fence dark green.....OMG...i just happen to own an antique store and i will not paint every other slat green....i am getting tired of that look...trying to fill in the whole front some how.....cause it is long...will be working on it and post pics....
sounds exciting about the show....keep us posted...

hap seems quiet today....:I)

going to the nursery to buy some more $1.00 perennials...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

oh!!!!! finally done! bills done! post office done! bank ...done! estimate faxed over...done!

shirley...i agree with sugar....we can drop the mm here...wow! just with the change of name you look 20 years younger!

hehehehe....taking pics of your tools. ok...i only have a few i look but they are picture shy.

wish i could see a ship takes off to space! voyages to space are now in our family...or have been for about 10-11 years. my darling niece has been dating john glen's grandson for all that time and we had the absolute pleasure of dinning with him during our niece's college graduation. not a more gracious person to be had on this planet and in such ahhhhhhhh i was....but had to be polite and not ask to many questions or my sister would have hit me in head with a bat! during dinner must have been about a dozen person's asking him to sign autographs which he most happily did without blinking an eye or missing a bite of food.

brinda...no knee talk today. although, i have been good, very good..i still have to work and play or i'll die. and love the pic and you can see the flowers well in it!

This message was edited Jul 6, 2006 12:35 PM

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

well sticks...these are extemely old towns in this area, some dating back to the late 1700's so the look it just fine for here! don't listen to what whoever they are said!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Gone, yes.....quite, no!!

It's pouring rain here today so that means no gardening so I decided to get out of the house for awhile. I went meandering. First I went to Old Time Pottery hoping to fine some things for the garden and I sort of did. I got a wrought iron hangy thing for my lanai. Just walked around like I had no housework that should be getting done. UGH. I know I have to face it, but not today.....

S&S, what on earth were you doing up on the roof? Not good, not good...

Ms. Pati, and how are you today after your exciting 4th? Usually I can see the takeoffs from my front, but there was just too many clouds on Tuesday. I was disappointed, but I did watch on TV. I think you have to be crazy to go on one of those. Absolutely bonkers!!!!

I just looks out and if it gets any darker, the street lights are going to to on. wow, it's getting noisy too. It has just started to really come down now and it is black.

Off to some other threads that I watch/lurk.

Have a great afternoon folks.

Hap

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

ahhhhh...it so nice to have some time to one's self.

got a few pics done. darn groundhogs have eaten almost every sweet potato vine and the beatles put holes in them!! nothing is working to get them stop it!!

Thumbnail by tobee43
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

hey hap....what about a nap?? i love to sleep on rainy days....come to think of it i LOVE to sleep...

as for the roof....painting...house had not been painted in 10 yrs...hubby wouldnt do it...was driving me nuts...so he went bambi killing and i painted...till i fell...was pretty scary, thank god no other problems...hit my head but nothing there....was lucky...so i try to stay on the ground (pretty much)....but when hubby wont do it I WILL..; i know that noone else can relate to that...he he

tobee...i would die if i saw those old towns...we are not very old here....early 1900's....love that old stuf

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

tobee,

Is that Swinging Linda? The red one? I thought there was something wrong with mine and I was about ready to move it. But I see that yours has the funny looking leaves too. Or, their both sick. lOL

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Right Sticks, I can relate. Bambi killing....I thought I was the only one that had that term. When I was about 8 my DM took me to see the movie. WELLLLLLLLLLLL, when the mommy said, Run, Bambi, Run, and then the gunshot rang out.....I started to cry hysterically and my DM had to take me out of the theater. When I had children, I made my XH take them. I couldn't go though that again plus making a scene in front of my kids. Now they know that I should have been committed years ago and they just humor me now. ROTFL....

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

hap....indeed it is trailing plum (not the rose one) brocade aka swinging linda and indeed it is sick looking.....that one came from rosy dawns and is the slowest yet to come into color and grow correctly. if you can believe it looks 100% better in color than it did!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

My color is OK, but the leaves are deformed. Yes?

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

well sticks that's why it looked just fine to me! i know texas is much younger, but that type of garden decor is perfect for here. actually, it's perfect anywhere you want to create it!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

hap...well the leaves are not really deformed because of the cultivar they are much much smaller in size than the others. almost like a mini coleus. once it catches on more leaves should come but be tiny or small and trail. it's just beginning to do that now.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Wow, you all have been busy since I left the computer just an hour ago!

Hey tobee.....if I change my name, will I look 20 years younger too? LOL Now trying to think of a good name that I will like! One that will make me look thinner also would be great!!!!!!! hahahhahahah....wouldn't that be great?

Joni, don't listen to people about your beautiful fence and yard. I think it's just beautiful! And the hyacinth bean vine is an annual, but I do have some seeds come up the next year. I just pull them and stick them where I want them to go. It is such an easy .....and I mean EASY vine. I hope to have them always. Sidney, I really surprised that you don't have them seeding all over the place there in FL.

Hap & tobee.....I got trailing rose from RosyDawn and it is the TALLEST coleus that I have....there is nothing trailing about it! LOL It has really long spikes, almost 2 feet tall. It looks funny too, cuz I put it in a container and it was supposed to trail over the edge....nope....it's competing with the elephant ear and the canna.....and I think it's gonna win!

Wow Pati, how spectacular it must have been to watch that launch! I get chill bumps just thinking of it. I'm with you Hap....I know I'd have to be bonkers to board a spaceship.....I have to be drunk to get on an airlplane...and that's the truth! LOL

Well, none of you told me how to get the lead out....so I best get back to cleaning! LOL It took me almost an hour to clean the kitchen and all I had to do was finish loading the dishwasher...which wasn't too much and wipe down the countertops! LOL I seem to get sidetracked soooo easy anymore! Too many things running through my lil brain I guess!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

hehehe...brinda..yeap...if you change your name...to like "sex kitten" prehaps we can pretend like you look 20 years younger and if NOT, at least ACT 20 years younger.

goes to show... one must go to the place that cultivared the coleus as opposed to buying cuttings elsewhere. they never seem to be exactly true to form.

and get the lead out! my house is too dirty to clean ...i'm not doing that today. i'm relaxing and cooking veal tonight...which my dh may pass out from shock to see "real" food on the table. i pounded it and it's in milk now so i'm good to go for later in the day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.