Morning glories and sunflower combinations

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

Here is my mailbox garden. I couldn`t resist this medium size sunflower combined with Mt Fuji blue flowers. I wanted the vine to climb on the sunflower but it took it`s time about it opting to produce huge flowers at the bottom,make pods and then it has starting climbing with more energy and the flowers do get smaller the higher it climbs but they stay around 3-5" . I kept putting it on the sunflower and it crawled back off by itself or the breeze blows that direction...so better get me some string next time I work on this bed. :)

Does anyone else like to grow sunflowers and morning glories together?

This message was edited Aug 31, 2006 12:28 PM

Thumbnail by gardener2005
Lake Forest, CA(Zone 10a)

That is charming!

I haven't tried MG and sunflowers, but I am trying yellow climbing Nasturtiums with Grandpa Otts. They are still very young, so no blooms yet, but will post a photo when they do. I am also trying orange Nasturtiums with Royal Blue Ensign MGs.

Phoenix, AZ

Love it! The Sun flower looks like it is looking after the MG's lol

Thanks.

I agree. I love sunflowers. I recall one sunflower that volunteered in the fall and grew through a mild winter and was this huge flower and gigantic leaves on a three foot stalk! I put overalls on my son who was about 2 years old at the time and the picture turned out adorable.

This is the first year I grew them with my favorite vines the morning glories.

Already there is another batch of sunflowers...and vines started from seeds to replace these once the seeds are ready to harvest.

I`m looking forward to any pictures where these vines have been planted to compliment and grow well with other flowers!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Nice combo! It looks like the sunflower is going to take in the mail. :-)

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh yes! want a wow garden with this combo... try the mammoth Sunflower in nice soil so they grow to 12 feet... and plant some MG's... it is amazing! they only down part is when the stem gives out! lol but TG for bamboo sticks!

I have about 30 types of sunflowers growing right now... they are still babies!

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Here's a strange combo for you -- morning glories and tomatoes. :) The tomato plants are about 5 feet tall with tiny cherry tomatoes, and the morning glories have buds on them.

Ok, I was lazy and didn't pull the MG's out of the ground when they started growing with the tomatoes. So far, so good!

Lake Forest, CA(Zone 10a)

I'll bet your MGs and Tomatoes look really cool together, lily, so you can probably get away with letting people think it was all carefully masterminded.

I`ll bet it looks great. People probably stop and try to find out what kind of exotic looking vines with beautiful flowers and fruit you are growing.

I remember thinking my yellow flowers had some very strange blooms when it was just my morning glories had wondered into another fllower bed. I left it there too because the yellow and blue was so pretty together. :~)

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Gardner 2005, I so love that picture! It's so cute, like the sunflower is protecting the mail box, or waiting for a check to arrive or something!

My guardian sunflower? I like it!

Here is another combo of morning glories and sunflowers I had in the small vegetable garden we had. The sunflowers are over with and all hanging drying for the seeds to get ready for planting and snacks too of course!

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

WOW, that is so pretty :) Years ago a lady suggested that I plant morning glory seeds and corn together!! I did and they grew wonderfully!! I must try the MG seeds and sunflowers tho, also I was thinking that this year for the first time the red trumpet vine is blooming( I transplanted it a few years ago) I am thinking some pretty MG flowers would look beautiful peeking out from beneath the dark shiny green leaves of the trumpet vine?

You have got to try and see. :)

I got another crop planted. July the 4th I spent the day fixing up my new bed with more sunflowers and glories to tune of 60`s and 70`s style music overheard being performed by a band at the neighbor`s party. Creedence Clearwater Revival, Bob Seger and others. I can still hear Johny B. Goode in my memory because they performed that number more than once!!! It was a great day!

The new crop is about a foot tall and growing fast. I`ll be back later and post pictures if all goes well.

How about an update? Here is part of the crop I planted. the flowers came out nice.

Another: This are Yaguruma JMGs and the yellow Tohoku Yae (Sp?) sunflower.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2006 3:10 PM

Close up of Tohoku Yae (Sp?)

This message was edited Aug 23, 2006 3:44 PM

And one more of the reddish brown sunflower with the yaguruma flower. These are in full sun and they are still open at 3:30!!!

The first time I saw one of these out there open at 3:30 I thought some bright colored trash from a party had blown into the yard. Instead it was my little darlings beginning to bloom.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2006 3:11 PM

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

That's a great update! Looks like Rosita is one tough MG. I grew sunflowers this year as well, but not with the JMG's. I'll have to consider that for next year!

Arlan

BTW,Those are not Rositas(I edited the posts already). I ordered them from a company as Rositas....(Then I wondered because they didn`t match the picture.)

I think I need to notify the company of the discrepanacy and someone (guess who?) has notified me that they are Yagurumas which is a yougiro type.

I`m learning something everytime I log on here and appreciate it very much!

This message was edited Aug 31, 2006 12:47 PM

I found this too on the web. This site has the yagurumas listed as Rositas.

http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/vines/morningglory.html

This message was edited Aug 25, 2006 3:33 PM

Another picture.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Swallowtail also lists Candystripe Purple,but the seeds they distribute are actually Tie Dyes...CandyStripe Purple always has beige colored seeds and the darker colored Tie Dyes have darker brown/black colored seeds...

I spoke with the owner of Swallowtail on the phone (several years ago) about the discrepencies of his MG seed offerings and he told me that he didn't think it really mattered and very quickly became hostile...so based on the negative attitude and uncivil manner,> I personally refrain from patronizing that person further with any purchases or correspondence about his products...

I've always liked the MG sunflower combinations...

Ron

This message was edited Aug 27, 2006 4:14 AM

This kind of thing is missinforming and confusing for people too.

I stared for a second seeing they didn`t match the picture in the ad but Then the Yagurumas won me over with their resilient nature and brilliance. :)

I have written them to see what they say about this.

I`ll grow these again especially since they are disease and pest resistant much more so than any of the others. The other yojiros I grow are the same way but these little bright pink ones are champions from what I`m seeing.

This message was edited Aug 31, 2006 12:48 PM

One more showing the group bloooming out more this morning.

And last but not least a butterfly,sunflower and glory picture.

I have an update on the yagurumas(hope that is spelled right...gee whiz...Japanese is tough to remember how to spell much less pronounce it! ha :) But I`m going to to learn it sooner or later!

They were sold to me as "Rositas" so I wrote the company and sent a picture of my flowers. They agreed that they weren`t Rositas. I got replacement packs in the mail a couple days later.

It is also a plus that I happen to be enjoying the "Rosita imposters" which are actually yagurumas !

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.