Coleus Chatters July 9-15

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Well Sugar, I didn't answer your post because I'm outta' here about 6:30 PM. Dogs to feed, last watering of the day, etc.etc,etc. Now I'm glad I didn't see it before bedtime. That's ugly enough to cause bad dreams! LOL

Yes, by all means paint that sucker! What were you thinking? LOL
Pati

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

TOBEEEE it's time to tell your story.
;)

Pearl River, LA

sugar I love your rooster...... I dry brushed and sealed a rooster and hen when I was into ceramics....did a dozen realistic eggs and plopped them in an antique bowl of my moms ....put the rooster on one side and the hen on the other and I get lots of compliments ...they look so real ......they grace the top of my microwave.......have fun.... shirleyt

Well, in the dining room I have about 50, some antiques and some not. I also have the roosters in my kitchen border. I have a lamp that I have been trying to figure how to paint for ages in the attic. I may try some dry brush on this one after I do the things I mentioned above.
;)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning All! I'm running late today as I had Xander duty this morning and Braden had swimming lessons. Well, not really swimming 'lessons' but life saving....can't remember the name of them. LOL

Where is that tobee? I thought I'd show up this morning to another chapter from her. LOL I look forward to her writings every morning!!! And of course, I want to hear this story!!!

this is DH's late week and he is outside edging and weed eating....I better get out there or he'll think all I do all day is play on DG!!! LOL

See you all soon!!!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I only have one thing to say about that ornament:

"ROBO CHICKEN!"

LOL. GG, I agree. He definately needs spiffing up. Here's the Lamb I got.

I'll try this approach, evidently threats don't work at all.
tobee, darlin, now it has been over 24 hours since we've heard from you and I for one am getting concerned about you and that knee. Please accept my apologies for getting so testy and let us know if you are okay wheather you choose to share your "Matt and Katie moment" or not. We'll still love you., Sugar

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Sugar,
Perhaps if you offer to sacrifice the lamb, Tobee will respond...

Good one GG!!!LOL
Pati

Pearl River, LA

sugar.... when you get ready to paint your rooster????lamp.....get a pic of your favorite real life rooster and copy the colors.....that is what I did....I like Rhode Island Red roosters and hens....I love the colors involved with them.....shirleyt

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

hey sid.....i had a ceramic rooster lamp from the 40's....i wonder if it is the same one....i sold it, but it was gorgeous...

Do you have a picture Joni? I hope so.
Happy please drop in and tell us what you and Posey (herDD in Chicago) are going to do.
;)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sid....i don't have a pic....; but i had the dang thing for like 5 yrs b4 i sold it cause i priced it pretty high....nice and mutted the colors were....almost like a pastel wash rather than dark harsh colors...

I'm thinking the Lamp should have a base coat of soft brown, with cream on feathers, deep gold on beak, and those feet, and a bright red comb.
The cream of the body would be applied over crackleing medium, and then the whole thing lightly antiqued with a soft oak stain. The stain softening all the other colors. How does that sound?
Sidney
ps Where is everybody????, Heather? Lavina? and alllllll you lurkers?

I'm scared of the chickin' (sob)
Pati

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sid...i think it sounds good....

LOL, Ms Pati,
I'll paint him immediately and how about some false eyelashes, if I have some?
;)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Now that will really put the Chick over the edge.

Chicago, ah, Chicago....yes.....time with my DD. Whatever we do it will be nonstop. She rarely lets me sits. I'm so tired when I come home I collapse. They always take me out to my favorite restaurant, Gibson's and after that it will be a crap shoot. I never make plans because they would only get changed anyway. I just follow along and smile. Much easier with a head-strong DD. We may have a cocktail party, but then again we might not. We may go shopping, I have no stores here, but then again, we may not. I don't care what we do as long as I can hug and kiss her when I want. We are joined at the hip, so to speak. I am a very lucky woman.

Talk later.

Hap

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Sidney, were you feeling alone for awhile? LOL Yes, the chicken is ugly, but I bet it will look pretty good when you're done. I can't wait to see it.

Hap....what wonderful and heart-warming statements you've made about your sweet DD. That's the way Mom & Daughter relationships should all be! You made me smile!!!

:)

Me too.
;)

Yeah,
My mom and I were soulmates, too! Good going Hap, and enjoy yourself, whatever!

That's one of the best blessings in the world. I called mine everyday the last 5 years I had her.
;)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you Brinda....My musings come straight from the heart. She is a very special woman.

I have two boys, but you know the old saying....and if you don't here it is again.

A son is a son, until he takes a wife.
A daughter is a daughter all of her life.

My grandmother told me that about 60 years ago and it is true for me and for so many others that I know. I love my boys dearly and we are close, but not like with my daughter. My DD and I talk 2-3 times a day, my boys, MAYBE 2 times a month....then the sad thing.....Grandchildren...........never. (we're 1500 miles away..)

Hap

Hap,
Wave to Oprah for me!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

OHHHH, I just might see her. She jogs along Lake Shore Blvd. My DD has seen her, but never approached her. She needs the time off.....Oprah that is.....LOL

Then one place I will probably be going is a 3 story condo on Lake Shore with a roof top garden...large........IN FRONT of Oprahs....heheheh

Hey Now,
Oprah's a downhome Southern girl. She'd probably come over and kick back with ya'll if you ask her. She might even help with the gardening if ya'll are gonna play in the dirt.

Well it took some looking, but I found it! Here is a picture of Posey,who is Happy's daughter and Happy with Verdell, Haps' grandpup. http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1463878
I just love that picture.
Sidney

this tread was edited to make sure no one thought I was in that picture.

This message was edited Jul 10, 2006 7:08 PM

Pearl River, LA

sugar thanks for sharing your pic......Hap that is a great pic.....my daughter and I have the same kind of relationship....she is in Florida now at a V B camp for her team and we have talked twice a day every day since she has been gone......she will be back tomorrow yeah.... I agree about the sons too......I am lucky to talk to them once a month...actually I have a great realationship with one of my daughter-in-laws....I practically raised her too....She is mine.....her parents are dead and we have that mother daughter relationship going too..... My other daughter- in- law has not been in the family as long and we are still getting to know her..the boys are busy busy busy ... and so are the grankids....one is due back from a year in Iraq in early August....I am counting days now....enjoy your visit. with your sweet girl..I loved the work on the court-yard gardens ....shirley

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sid....is that hap?? hap is that you?? holding the doggy?? you are beautiful!!!

NoNo That's Happy, and her gorgeous daughter. I only wish I looked even half that good.

I'm on my homepage at the bottom. Just click my name over

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

what is your homepage??

Just click on my name here Joni.
;)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

a bossy leo!!!!!!!!!!!l; my hubby is a leo, my store manager that has been with me for 10 yrs is a leo ....my boy dog is a leo....bossy bossy leos!!!!(grin)....i drive leos crazy..(probably others too....) but, i am the disorganized, inefficient, crazy, messy cancer....

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

where is tobeeeeeeeee???

You got that ssssso right, LOL.
So whatcha gonna do for your BD?
Want to paint roosters?
Did you scan down to the toothy picture?
;)

I'm concerned about Ms tobee. I have a hard time starting the day without her. Tobee and coffee. They start any good garden addicts day,
;)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

yes i saw you!!! you are thin....you are suppossed to be big and brawny....(don't know why i thought that)....; i will be doing nothing for my bd....; business as usual;

we need tobee....wonder where she is??

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Good Morning All, just checking in before its off to work
Sugarweed, I love the chicken I can`t wait to see it painted.
Happy 1, have a great time in Chicago and please take an extra case with you so you can share all those wonderful Pinchings
when you get back.

TOBEEEE, Where is that girl!
EBAY STORY STORY STORY
(the troops are getting restless)

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

good morning all!!!

okokokok! sorry i didn't get a chance to get back to the puter because we had company all day sunday until 10 pm and yesterday i was out of town on state fair meetings.

i'm late this morning watering but thought i would check in first to tell ya all about ebay.

alright, so i'm assuming everyone is ready for this ebay tale:

i was one of the very first person's to use ebay to sell items. i got to the point that i thought it time to bring ebay up to another level, by selling extraordinary items, as opposed to just simple items.

that week i posted among other items, antiquates dating back to 17 BC, nascar items unknown to mankind, babe ruth's first certified signed base ball ( which went for $45,000) and of all things this trophy picked up at a beverly hills auction that was the winners trophy for the 1963 kentucky derby. we paid approx 1300 for the thing and i really knew absolutely nothing about horses or the kentucky derby for that matter. however, i did some basic research to just post the trophy and left it at that. it was a 7 day auction and the interest was overwhelming on this item, which i just couldn't understand. i had one gentleman whom at the time was a judge in the usa open and apparently had a "kentucky derby" bash with his friends every year. since the usa open was going on at the same time of my auction, he was insistent that he needed to win the item and his agent would be bidding for him. he wanted to know the reserve, but i explained i would not reveal it. however, by this time the price had scored to over 15,000 and i shocked as i just didn't get it.......well not until 5 hours before the close of the auction when i rec'd an email from someone stating the following:

"i just want to inform you that i know the jockey who won this trophy and it was stolen from him over 20 years ago and this belongs to him"

i wrote back:

"thank you very much for that information, but the trophy was purchased at a legal auction which is equal to christie's on the west coast. i am the legal owner and have a receipt for the purchased. have a good evening"

one half hour later:

email ..............from the MASS. POLICE..........asking me to call immediately. (the reason the mass police was contacting is that the trophy was being stored in the warehouse in mass...so it was going to be shipped out of that location).

i called...the MASS police stated that the police near LA calif had called and wanted to speak to me immediately, so i called. they claimed they had spoken to mr. sellers and he wanted his trophy back. they explained that it had be taken from his home along with other trophy's in a robbery over 20 years prior. the year of 1963, mr. sellers had won 2 out of the three races of the triple crown with riding the horse "carry back". apparently, all the trophy's had been taken. it was explained to me, by the police, they were considering filing charges against me. so i told them i'd call right back.

now at this moment is was very good i had been sleeping with a state police officer for the past 29 years or so because here is what he had to say about it. "sue, if you actually stole the trophy, the statue of limitations is over, however, if you sell stolen property, you're in BIG trouble!"

i immediately took the item OFF of the auction board, with approx 1 hours before the close of the auction, until the matter could be cleared. well.....no sooner did i do that and the phone begin to ring off the hook. of course it was the us open judge asking me what the heck was going on. i explained the entire situation to him and he replied. "MR. SELLER'S DIED OVER 10 YEARS AGO!"

now...what the heck???? soooo, back to the la police department i went. i asked for proof that sellers was still alive, a copy of the police report blah blah.

they call back....and fax the report and they say they are still considering filing charges against me.....now...by this time, (what the heck do i know about it), every news wire picked up the story. espn was calling, cbs, abc, nbc, every major newspaper....OMG! i'm wondering what is going on with this stupid trophy, and why the heck is it so important????

and here's why:

at the time, there have only been 100 kentucky derby's in this county. it's a extremely small group of very prestige person's involved on that level in the world. and it's an extremely small world at that. of all the 100 races ran, this particular race, had been voted as the best race ran, in the history of the derby. why??? you ask...... because apparently, mr. sellers came from 16 lengths back, as the underdog and won. (later when i viewed the race on film, it truly was unbelievable). soooooooooooo apparently, this was one of the most important races ever in this county, or any other for that matter. OMG! also in that 100 year history, just think how many trophy's existed in the entire world???? not many......and again...what the heck did i know..to me it was a piece of sports memorabilia that could be sold for a few bucks!

phone is ringing off the hook, media at my front door wanting to see the trophy, by this time the press has picked up the story and it's running all over the place!!!! OMG......so here's want i decide.

i truly believe in karma, so i called the la police back and said here's the deal:

firstly, go ahead and file the charges if you want, but i have to say this. i'm certain that mr. sellers was paid by the insurance company for the loss of his trophy, so he doesn't own the thing anymore anyway. secondly, i have decided to give it back to the old dude because of it's importance in the history of racing. thirdly, you need to go after the auction house, because i have a legal receipt for the item and purchased it in good faith. the end!

they agreed. the news media is still hounding me to death. i made a few decisions.....i would give the trophy back, it was asked that i come to louisville and present it at the kentucky derby...i said no, not good to take away from the winner of the race that year....so then it was suggested and agreed upon that i would go down there on alumni day which was all the past winners and i would re-present the trophy to mr. sellers in the winners circle. i had also decide to go with nbc's the today's show....only because it's something i kinda knew. so they asked me to come down do the interview while they simultaneously interviewed the old jockey at church hill downs in kentucky. after the show i would fly down and be the guest of the jockey and church hill downs and attend a bunch of stuff blah blah. so i went down there and OMG....i could have run for office in louisville and definitely won because of the moment i got there to the moment i left they treated me like royalty. by the way...nbc offered to pay for me to come into nyc and fly down to louisville but i didn't accept their offer. by the time i finished this adventure not only didn't i have the trophy, or the 15k, but i was out about 8k for the entire thing!! anyway...the jockey was in tears of joy, church hill downs restored part of their history..... i'm going to heaven and such is life.:)

the end

and i'm NOT going back to fix typo's!!!!!!! so please read between them all :)

I love it, thanks so much. Of course I'm crying..........I'm such a sap. I can have a great day now that I've had my coffee and tobee read.
;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.