Coleus Chatters July 9-15

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TOTALLY AWESOME!

Gollllllllllllllllllllllllleeeee! I thought I had stories and adventures! I LUVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV THIS FORUM, AND YOU GUYS! WOW! WOW! AND WOW!

wow...

Sug,
I agree. I had my coffee and the TOBEE DERBY TROPHY (try saying it fast three times in a row...) story.

What a way to start the morning!

Ok. I'm feeling a thread. "My Most Memorable Adventure Worth Sharing!" Come on, Post those stories!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

How did you find that pix, Sugar.....You sould have said I was the black one.....

tobee, what a story and a story with a good ending. It's nice to see people doing the "right thing". You're a winner for sure.

Off to the garden before it rains...again.

See ya later..

Hap

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Hap, I tried to remember the time of the year and just scanned thru a few dozen threads from last year. It's in your Guiness thread.
Sidney

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hi all....and WOW tobee, what a story! My Dad (the one that trained race horses) I'm sure was very familiar with all of this. Too bad he isn't around anymore. Your story put a great big smile on my face! You da woman, girlfriend!!!

Hap, you and your daughter are beautiful! I can see why you're so proud of her and I love hearing about your relationship.

GG....great to see you!

I'm on the run....once again this morning. I had Xander duty again today and will tomorrow and then I'm off for the rest of the week. Woooooohoooo! We had the most unbelievable amounts of rain late yesterday. Storms started moving in around 3pm and it was still pouring when I fell asleep around 11:00. (LOL....looks like I shouldn't have to water for days) I just came in from checking all my babies and I only had two coleus that were broken. I expected much more than that as we had 70 mph winds. I just took the broken coleus (they were in pots) and crammed them in the ground in the garden. Hopefully they will be fine. The weatherman says we'll have 100 degree temps the rest of the week. It was 101* yesterday before the storm. And the humidity was sooooo high that you broke a sweat right when you went outside. Ugh!

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Great job Tobee!! What a cool story, I bet that jockey looks at that trophy and thinks of you all the time...and he's got an awesome story to tell too, because of you. Don't you wonder how the trophy ended up at the auction house? hmmmm

Happy b-day Joni!! Mine is coming too. Speaking of eBay, Mark just ordered this for me http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230006461361&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
can't wait. I'm also getting my own website. When I get it done I'll let y'all know. I have to come up with a name, that's the hard part. Any ideas? he he he

Joni, what is the software you're using to design your garden? It gives realistic looking results, most don't. Most look like you plopped a 3D image in a real pic and I hate that.

Hap, that pic of you and your DD is wonderful, I hope you have it framed somewhere in your home!

I can't find the pic of the chicken y'all are scared of. It's driving me nuts. My mom was always scared to death of chickens, which made no sense to me because she grew up on a farm...and then decorated her kitchen with them. What the heck?

That little lamb is just adorable peeking out from the plants. =^) He makes me smile. =^) And say, awwww.

Hugs to everyone!
Heather

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

GM Heather! Name it 'Heather's Haven' or Heather's Plant Haven.

Here is the chicken Heather, http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=2487100
and here is the back of it.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It's a doozy....

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Good grief Sugar, that chicken just doesn't have a good side does he? LOL
Pati

Go read Joni's b'day poem...

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

good afternoon all!

ahhhhhhh finally finished for the day.

sugar doll.......let's NOT be showing that chicken around k????

hap, you are of course beautiful in the lovely picture, however, YOUR daughter is incredible, what a smile!

gg...i really really love your humor, you have to come visit me! (everyone is always welcome!)

brinda.....when i grow up i want to be just like YOU!

sticks...i know there is a thread for your birthday...but happy happy happy to you joni, your so sweet!!

heather...i'd like to say that the jockey did exactly what you said just being so happy to have his presious memory back...

but there is a bit more to the very ending of this story as only a very few truly know, so ya all hold on to your trowels for just a sec and i'll give you the final part of this story::

the guy ended a year or two later selling the thing for tons of money. the sad part was we later found out that he was most likely never robbed, but sold the stuff for money 20 years ago from the time i obtained it, and claimed it was stolen so he could collect the insurance money. it most likely ended in the auction house from the person, dear mr. sellers sold it to years prior. the auction house claimed that the trophy was purchased from a "legal" owner, that is their responsibility, so i do, to this day believe that is what happened.

moral of the story is: of course. no good deed goes unpunished.

but i'm still going to heaven! and i'm really NOT thinking i'll be seeing mr. sellers there!

i had some time to fix SOME of the typo's!

This message was edited Jul 11, 2006 2:48 PM

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

But don't you feel better, tobee? I would be miffed, but would have solace knowing that I dun rite.

My DD doesn't think that she is that pretty. DUH!! And the aura that she has is incredible. She just walks into a room and everyone wants to talk with her, be near her, hear what she has to say. It quite a thing to watch and I have done it many times.

Hap

Happy,
Your family genes are BEAUTIMOUS! Your daughter's cute, too, (tee hee hee)

TOBEE,
I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO need a vacation!

My DH's 90-yr-old aunt is visiting my DMIL for 3 weeks. She's from New Jersey. So I promise, when we go visit her, expect a knock at your door!

I'm dying to go ANYWHERE on the planet with a sandy beach and SALT WATER!

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

GG, let me know where you're headed cuz I'm coming w/ you.

Ok, y'all, here's a pic of one of the Tobee planters. Isn't it great?? I just love it and I KNOW that no one else has this combo. tee he he!

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Remember, it's just planted and has to fill out yet. I'll post more pics when it does.

Another thing I'd like to say is that I don't have gorgeous gardens like the rest of you do. Far, far from it. I have lots of spaces that I'm trying very hard to prepare to plant and change. Between my back and the weather this year I've not gotten very far. I do have some nice containers tho...well, I have some nice plants in containers. Anyway, all that said to share this pic...what Mark made me last night while it was raining. It's a copper obelisk, 5' tall. Was thinking of putting a Hyacinth Bean Vine on it, whaddya think?

Oh, about that chicken. ROTFLOL!! His pose reminds me of the Lion from the Wizard of Oz when he was saying "C'mon, put up yer dukes!!"

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh no tobee....LOL....you don't want to be like me when you grow up! LOL If you were, you wouldn't get any time to yourself! LOL I think I'm going to just make a sign that says....'if you need something babysat, I'm your woman' LOL Sheesh!

I just picked Xander up from the sitter and am now at his house. I just happened to look at her calendar and it looks like the month of August I must be penciled in for a week. LOL And not one person has told me about it! Holy Cow! Wonder what would happen if I had plans for that week?????????????

Heather....you've done a fabulous job! WTG girlfriend....gorgeous planter. And Mark is a very handy guy! Wow....that is beautiful and yes, hyacinth bean would be beautiful. I just love them...they are soooo easy!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

typing again....i just lost all that i typed....here goes again

tobee...you are an amazing woman...couldn't do what you did....don't think i could have ....you will be going to heaven

gg...did you write my poem?? it was lovely...you have another career ahead of you as a poet:) will send drugs for you with your hubbies 90 year old aunt....eeeeeee; you may want to use them(grin)

sid.....that chicken.....oh that chicken

hap; lots of shopping on michigan avenue for me....love it!!!!
you and your daughter are gorgeous...

health....will be interested in your website...what is it going to be?? (not sure if you can say what it is here or not....) anyway, the software i use is landscape designer .....i got it on ebay for like 10.00....very easy to use.....i once planted expensive trees all along both sides of my house and was able to tree out my neighors...then tore them town...all with the software...was fun

brin...we have the same kinda weather you are experiencing ....hot hot hot....; hopefully not too much rain for you........we need rain, starting water rationing soon

i love this forum...yall are great!!!!

Heather that is going to be great when it fills in and Mark is a keeper for sure. He is really talented. Hyacyth bean will be lovely on that obelisk.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

health....love the oblesk(sp)...and your gardens are a beaut....the plantings behind the oblesk need to come to my house!!!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

You know what Heather? You can have beautiful gardens in containers. Three years ago my DH counted over 300 pots ....and that was three years ago....I can't imagine how many I've added since. LOL Here is the story of why I was a container gardener......

We had a German Shorthair Pointer (3-legged but that's another story) and he was the biggest pain in my rear. I know you're supposed to love your animals, but I'm telling you that I really hated this dog. He belonged to DH when he moved in and that stupid dog was so much worse than a demon stepchild. He barked 24/7/365, dug and layed in every spot that I had planted. There was NOTHING sacred around him. And the stupid dog ate lit cigarettes. And of course, I smoke and he attacked me everytime I lit a cigarette. He would attack a firecracker and chase after roman candles. He was posessed....I swear he was. He was petrified of storms. We knew hours before a storm was coming because he would eat the stockade fence panels to get out. One day my oldest son had his bedroom window open. A storm came up and that stupid dog tore the screen off the window and tried to get in the house. My son's bed was in front of the window (long, to the ground windows) and that crazy dog ate the mattress enough that he could get in the house. He made me nuts....imagine coming home at night by yourself to find something coming at you in the dark...while thinking that there should be nothing in your house. I hated him....and you can't even believe how much money he cost us. We had to keep him chained up because he could climb a stockade fence...even with three legs. He barked constantly and the neighbors called the police all the time. I can't tell you how much money my DH spent to get that crazy dog out of the pound....sometimes weekly...but always monthly. The dog catcher knew him by name!!! Absolutely unreal!!!! And I have many more horror stories about him, but now you know why I gardened in pots. Now he is gone and I can have real gardens. LOLOLOLOLOL Happy Dance! Wooooohoooooo!!! And I even have nightmares of him coming home. Oh dear....I'll probably dream about it tonight. The reason he no longer lives here is because he was getting old and his sight was getting bad. There was more than once that he couldn't get awake enough to realize who was here. He never bit anyone, but sure acted like he would. And I was scared that something might happen with Braden or Xander when DH wasn't around. So now he lives 'somewhere' else.....

Hmmmm....didn't mean to make this so long! LOL Just wanted you to know that container gardens can be beautiful too! And you have some gorgeous containers!!!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Now that I know how to take pics with this new camera, I'll post some pics for you.....'if' I ever get a USB cable! LOL

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

brin...STEP AWAY FROM the planters.....(and send them to me....)(grin)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL Joni....we couldn't afford the shipping cost! You'd have to send a BIG truck!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

your forgetting we live right next to each other.....i am on my way!!!!(grin)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

ps...i have to have GREAT pots too....right now my spiral juniper trees need a 26 to 30 inch planter....we are talking 100.00 bucks each minimum....so i am having to pace myself...i need 4....but my junipers are saying more soil more soil more soil

Tis the season to be shopping trlalalallla. Do they have Big Lots in Lubbock? (incidentally, my birthplace, lol)....(Lubbock, not BLs)
Also, WM, Target, and any other place that has 4 seasons will be knocking 75% off of really big pots. I would also be watching for almost anything you could paint white as big as you want.
You could also build some wooden ones on wheels between the hordes of customers you have at the store. Put some of those fence finials at each corner and paint them white for those spiraled babies. They will look fantastic.

Brinda, when Frank moved here he had this 140# half StBernard dog with him. Well of course Florida was too hot for her to stay outside, so she stayed in his room. She shed bushels of fur. I have never been happy to have a dog die before, but I must admit I was .........oh well I can't type that. I'm too nice.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sid...i have looked at all the stores.....(with money no object)...and i can't even find ones i would have....altho i haven't checked big lots....will think about checking them out.....i am thinking about buying them wholesale....since i do have that little tax number....

Asoo Grasshopper, buy wholesale!!
;)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Sidney, I hear ya.....and I'm an animal lover! But when things cause more problems and cost sooo much....I was so happy to see that stupid dog go away! And I'm serious about having nightmares about him! LOL I always see him running towards me and he is soooooooo happy....and I'm screaming NoooooOOOOOOO!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Joni, how far is Lubbock? JoAnneStores in Lubbock is having 70% off their gardening items and some things are 90% off. DH and I went to the JoAnnes in OKC last weekend and Sidney hit the one by her house. We came home with some 'very' nice pots. Try this site and click on the store locator. http://joann.shoplocal.com/joannsalesflyer/default.aspx?action=browsepageflash&storeid=2412098&rapid=284675&prvid=JoAnnStores-060627&promotioncode=JoAnnStores-060627&fsid=127967142941807096

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

yup we have one in lubbock...forgot to check there today when i was checking on 2.00 hostas.....instead bought a sweet pea shrub.....nuts...yes i am nuts....

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

When Mark & I first married he had a cat that had been passed through the family...it stayed w/ the house more or less. It was his house the family lived in, so eventually he got "stuck" w/ the cat. Whiskers was her name, and she didn't like me. She loved Mark, but not me. She was old, old, old. I made a few mistakes w/ the kitty and she never let me forget it. I tried so hard to make up to her, being such an animal lover, but she'd have none of it. They (Mark's family) told me that if I let her out she wouldn't leave the porch, so I let her out. 45 minutes later I heard the neighbor dogs going crrazzzzyyyy, which they never did. I went flying outside and the cat wasn't on the porch, she came running up the side of the house...that's the fastest I ever saw her move. Later the same THEY told me I could only leave her out for 20 minutes at a time. Thanks, now the cat thinks I'm trying to kill her. She used to cry at night something awful. Before I came along she would sleep w/ Mark...but not anymore. So, I figured she was lonely and needed a buddy. This had always been a multiple cat household until recently before Mark and I started dating. Soooo, off to the shelter we go and bring home a cute little kitten....who ends up tormenting the old cat half to death. Seriously. Old kitty would walk across the room, get a claw stuck in the carpet...new kitty would decide that is the perfect time to wiggle her little butt in the air and attack...the closer the new kitty got, the bigger the old kitty's eyes would get...until I thought her head was going to explode! Poor old cat. She blamed me. Then she got kind of sick, she was 17 yrs old. I took her to the Vet...more reasons to just LOVE me. They ran all kinds of tests, found nothing. Told us that when we felt she didn't have a high quality of life we should have her put down. I talked it over w/ Mark, we decided to have her put down. Made the appt., took her to appt., had the deed done. Came home, called Mark at work, told him the deed was done. His response was, "I didn't think you'd really do it." OMgosh!! So now I killed his cat that hated me. Great. THEY were going to love this too.

What he really meant was he thought I was going to run out of the place, kitty in hand, crying, needing support to carry it through....instead I was at home digging a hole. That was a bad day, and if I had it to do over again I'd be no where around at the time of that Vet appt.

I still think about Whiskers and how she used to leave "presents" for me all over the house, and how Mark always said it was so strange that she never did that before I moved in. Oh, yes, she LOVED me.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

good morning all!!

i'm sure saving this year on the electric bill for the water pump. it's raining even too hard this morning for me to get the pots watered before i leave for pt.

hap...you are right, (as usual!) i would have returned the trophy none the less. the best reward is when you know you can live with yourself. although these items brought in tons of money (which was NOT mine to keep, but was the business'), no amount is worth doing the wrong thing.

gg....if you come out to new jersey and don't come and see me ( and even stay)...you will get smacked again!!

sticks... ahhhhhhh , how i really wish i was an amazing woman, however, i'm no more amazing then the next, just one that faced some highly unusual situations to deal with in my lifetime and hopefully when faced with moral issues did what i considered the "right" thing. let's face it.......all of us would have returned the property to it's rightful owner! am i right??? sticks..what's the name of the software. the two i use are making me go blind...and i must of missed the pic with the design??? where is it????

heather, now see what can be done with just leftovers hanging around! the hanging baskets look great and will be gorgeous when they fill out!

heather, i think your gardens are lovely. it's always difficult to know where to start when you have so much to do. but remember that's what all the fun is about! i'm certain all of us began with nothing and slowly built up with every passing year. i don't think i know any serious gardener that did it all in a year or two....more like 10, 20 or even 30 years is more like it! and you did the right thing with the cat, she really did hate you. LOL!

brinda....wrong...i do want to be just like you! it's your heart place, i would love for mine to be totally committed as yours is. your devotion to other's is unmistakably and unconditionally angelic! i really so much admire that.

ahhhhhhh pots. i came home monday and i had stacked some beautiful pots on a pot stand....when i go home they were smashed to pieces because some rabbit or groundhog must have been attempting to nibble them. what a mess it was to clean up!! those darn animals! that's what i get for using ceramic pots instead of the foam ones.

sidney what i would do for a big lots or odd lots. we have to go like an hour and 1/2 to get to one. they are soooooo wonderful! i was going to stop by walmart on my way home today to see if i could replace some of the pots that broke. they seem to be the most reasonable here...even when other places run their "sales".

everyone have a great day!! talk to ya all later!

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

GM to all! I'm on Xander duty this morning and this is my last day this week. Wheeeee! LOL I do love him so much.....just hate that 5:45am phone call...LOL.

Oh Heather, tobee is so right about gardening taking years. When I was reading what tobee said about 10, 20, 30 years....LOL....I can't remember when I started. We bought this house in 1978, so that must be the magic number. LOL It is so funny to see old pics and realize how things have evolved. I wish all of you would take a vacation and we could all have a round-up here by the pool. Sidney has plans to come next year.....you should all make plans too! LOL What "a hoot & a hollar" (Okie talk) that would be!

Where is everyone? I haven't seen Sue or Lavina or Kell or mmlane or Demstratt.....who else am I missing? (I know you're here MissPati)

Hey Pati....did you ever get your coleus from GHW? Here it is the middle of July! They didn't ship me my complete order and said it was on backorder. LOL I think they forgot about me! Wonder if Tom would like an email from me? LOL Probably not.....they'd never survive even if he shipped them.

Speaking of GHW.....I have a Defiance from them and I think the thing is smaller than it was when I got it. LOL What's up with that? It refuses to die....and it certainly refuses to grow. It really looks goofy!

tobee....you must be getting all the storms and rain that we got Monday night. I don't know how much rain we ended up getting, but I do know we got over 2" in about 4 hours. It was a mess......and 70-80 mph winds. Yikes!

Ok....time to take Xman to the sitter! Have a great day all!

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Good Morning Everbody.

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3

Tobee,
Where do you live in New Jersey? My SIL went home just this morning. I told them your Kentucky Derby story last night sitting around the dinner table. They all want to meet you!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh my Brinda, Sugar just asked me on dmail about that.....great minds, etc. Here is what I replied to her:
Pati

Funny you should ask, LOL I e-mailed them last week with all the information, ie cust number, order number date, etc. and very nicely said I understood if the plants were not available, but I wanted a credit on my credit card. So far no reply. My next step is to post on the DG thingy.

Plus, I use AmEx and they will write them a letter if I contest the charge.
Pati

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I do just love y'all. Thanks for the encouragement. I am discouraged w/ the garden this year especially. I thought this was going to be THEE year. I had winter sowed and spring sowed so many things. We had built our retaining wall...now we're waiting for the guy to bring the rest of the dirt, because of so much rain he can't dig it. I really don't know where to begin or what to do where...then the back + the weather = nothing gets done. My b-day is coming up and I had planned that by this time I would have some good looking beds, or at least planted beds. Instead I keep throwing things in pots so they won't die on me. Not pretty pots, cheapies from Wal-Mart that are plastic. And they aren't arranged pots, they are a plant plunked in a pot to survive. LOL. I have now started using nicer pots and combining things since I've realized this may be all I get to do for this year. My porch looks great...a flowering jungle and I love it, but the garden itself isn't so great, other than the daylilies. Mark can only help so much since he works 13 hours a day.

I really want a cottage/English garden with a rustic feel. But right now I'd settle for just some pretty plants in the ground!!

On the bright side, I'm learning about container gardeing. LOL! I cramed a 6" pot full last night, and I think it will be my cutest one yet. I used cuttings from broken bits of other plants and a couple leftovers...a double pink Petunia, Wandering Jew, a pink Impatien, and a light pink/green and a bright pink/burgundy Coleus. Can't wait to see that one grow. I took a Tobee chance. tee he he.

GG3, I'm loving that pic. That is my dream.....

Wow Heather, that last pot is really going tobe a knock-out.

My next door neightbors have a garage wall that is on one side of my back yard and I was thinking that I could build a lean to against that and over winter many of my plants there. We only have about 11 weeks of possible freeze weather and I could hook-up a timer to water those even when I'm out of town.

The fellow I purchased the tiller just called for a dinner date and I told him I was committed, (or should be) LOL. I looked up that $419,000 home on Zillow.com and it's only worth $217,000 there so I think he liked that I had DM's home for sale in Charlotte,NC and my meager house paid for here. I trust no one anymore and I like tobee's idy for finding the next one.

Here is a really neat thing I got
Age Gauge
This may really make you feel a little old......where did the time go? Put your birth date in the pop up window after you click on the link below. What happens is pretty interesting. Very cool. Click on the link below:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~cdm/age1.html If you don't put in a date it has a way to create a BD card using it.

Well I got 4 instructions on the tiller and since Molly is going to house and feed it on her new North Florida Estate, I will d-mail her before I forget them.
Sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.