Coleus Chatter July 12-15

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Here ya go GG....we are getting to be one big chattering bunch! LOL I'm sure Hap would have slapped my hands if she was around!

Con't from http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/624225/#new

Thumbnail by Brinda
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Ok, enough with the cudos & praise, cuz I ain't "all that and a bag of chips, too!" I'm just doing the best I can.

Besides, I'm feeling a sensation in my chest on the left side, that's kinda uncomfortable. Sort of tha-thump, tha-thump.....

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH Brinda!

That's one of my favorites!!! Thanks!!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

AAAAAAAAAuuuugh.
After being on the receiving end of Jeremy's Motherload where one of the Lowe's here calls him every so often and he goes out and gets a huge shelf of plants they were about to pitch I have come to this conclusion. The single most important thing you can do when you buy a plant from any of those places is take it home and tear out that fast drying/stay dried stuff they start all those plants in.
I got 16 french marigolds from Jeremy yesterday. When I went to plant them after they set overnight with 2-20 minute sprinkler cycles, they were as dry as a bone!!!
It's a chore getting rid of that quick to dry and slow to wet shredded death they root all commercial plants in, I have been chipping that discussting dusty crud off the roots and giving them a good soak before I plant them. I actually needed a dust respirator a time or two.
I believe the nurseries do it hoping we'll let the plant go dry just once to never be wet again. Then they can sell us more and more and more.
I was planting today and decided to replace a beautiful Reiger Begonia that had died in the garden. As I dug, there that blasted dust dry medium was again. My yard gets more water more regularily than any I know, and even I was fighting an uphill battle.
Moral of the story.
When you get prized plants home, remove from plastic pot and set plant in bucket of water. After an hour gently wash away and work away all that spangum you can. Put some MG Moisture control dirt in planting hole and add the plant firm in well. When adding mulch be sure to keep mulch an inch or two away from the stalk of your treasured plants. They need a little bare soil around their stalks.
I sure hope this helps. and then there's water crystals and fertilizer.
I'll leave fertilizer advice to ms tobee.
I'll give polymer crystal advice later in the week.
Sidney

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

good morning all!!

another rainy stormy night and day! we must have had over 2 inches of rain! again for me, all i had to do was the pots! tornado's hit about 45 min from here! holy cow and a half!

joni ...so the name of the software is "custom landscape designer"? and yeap...i know the foam one's still have problems but it seems to me far less. i never had one break in pieces, although i have had the roots of a plant crack one. i just like the look of the ceramic one's and some plants really grow best in ceramic. storing them is always a problem in the cold weather because of the cracking. foam one's just stack.

gg. i'm in north west new jersey. near pa, ny and nj border. but if you come and your family is down south...i'll drive and we can still meet, or better yet, i'd love it if and when you do come for a visit i would even come and get you and dh and then come back here!!

i'll tell you what, we have saints among us....between gg and brinda i'm not certain who's getting the sainthood first??? all i know is we are certainly amongst the finest of human's that can be found on this planet. i'm proud to know them both! they are "true" heroines! my trowel stands high to both of you!

heather...darlink....nice mosaic table??? thinking NOT! my craft days are over!!!! i'm putting the pic below in for you. these were leftovers i did for a wall hanging. (it really needs some growing time) i'm really really really into the muted colors this year. the sedate, calming, but rich look???

sidny, sounds like good advise to me!! man o man are you so right about that terrible stuffs they use. it's like worse than a sponge! there is not enough water in the world that can help them keep moist! and i'm sure with the heat down there it's a constant problem anyway...which it is up here to usually, but since we have so much rain, it hasn't been as yet.

we are expecting 90+ weather for a few days and today finally i have a light schedule...so i'm going to make some fruit salad, pasta salads, potato salad, grill some veggies (in the rain) today, just so i don't have to worry about cooking in the heat! i'm so good, i'm already reducing my balsamic vinegar. sometimes it's even too hot for bbq!

where's hap??? and anyone else i missed???

it's so nice to have a totally complete day off!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

coleus contrast coming together slowly....

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

who the heck took such a BIG bite???

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

who plants two patterns together! only a CRAZY person!

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

some say it is, some say it's not a coleus...it is...just a hybrid that grows bigger and doesn't go into seeding or "flowering"

Thumbnail by tobee43
Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Good Morning All.

tobee,I know its not nice to have zone envy ,so I`ll settle for rain envy
in the last 31days we`ve only had 1.22 INCHES of rain we`re under tight water restrictions we can water 2 days a week for 2 hours Total we have 8 separate gardens and I am now down to deciding what must live or die we`ve been moving as many plants to one or two areas
that we really want to save.we had rain all around us yesterday and not a drop fell here .ps I love the first photo

sugar,I noticed at our Lowe's the last time I was there they had a sign on the half price racks 50 cent each or the whole rack for 20.00 I think Jeremy has created a trend..

Thank you. I love my Perilla Magilla, especially since I know what it is!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Uhoh tobee.....do you mean you're not supposed to plant two (+) pattern plants together? I'm gonna be in trouble then~! LOL

Good Morning ALL! We woke to a very loud crash of thunder. And it looks like we must have apprx 1" from the storm. I am so thankful for that....as our temps for the next 10 days are supposed to be over 100*. Sheesh! But even at 8:00 this morning, it is so humid and feels really hot, even though the current temp is 77*.

GG...I think you should plan to meet tobee! Oh what fun that would be! You would be in plant heaven for awhile. tobee? How far are you from Chataquah, NY? (I know I didn't spell that right) My MIL's summer home is in Chataquah and DH is wanting to go next year for a visit. I'm totally against it since I detest traveling with him. He thinks he always has to set the world record for fastest travel time. Oooooohhhhh....I hate that! When I travel, I want to take my time and stop many places (of course my bladder has to stop too) but I like looking around and shopping. HE DOESN'T!! Is that a man thing or something?

Sidney, I feel your pain! I hate that dry stuff. I sure wonder where they get that stuff. LOL I've seen pic of Jeremy's Motherlode....WOW! I know the store manager has asked DH many times if he'd like to go through all the discount stuff before he let's people see it. DH has come home with some real winners! But I just don't have the room for more plants this year. I'm on over-load right now!!! And still have more to pot up. LOL

tobee.....Hap is in Chicago with her daughter. I bet she'll be checking in soon.

Quoting:
Besides, I'm feeling a sensation in my chest on the left side, that's kinda uncomfortable. Sort of tha-thump, tha-thump.....
GG....what did that mean? You were kidding, right? If not...did you do something? When I read it the first time I chuckled....then I got worried.

What a glorious day it is. I have today all to myself (I think) LOL My Xander week is over, well the early morning stuff is anyway. I'm sure he & his Dad will be here this evening.....someone will have to cook for them since his Mom has school til 10:00 tonight. LOL I think I'm going to go through some boxes to see what kind of surprises I can find. LOL I'm sure there is something in them that I've been looking for. Ooooooooohhh...why do I create such chaos in my life? My house stays pretty clean and presentable except for my office. Then if someone is coming over.....I just grab a box and start raking things off my desk! LOL That's how I clean in here. It seems like everything lands in here. Am I the only dummy that does this? I wish I could break the habit so much. I normally have such good intentions, but it just doesn't seem to happen.

Heather, show us some more pics of your planters! And tobee...those pics you posted are great! I just love that coleus in your 'who took this big bite' pic.

Hi Pheadra.....hey sneak out in the night and water! I sure would. LOL And you're right...I do think Jeremy has started a trend. But here at our Lowe's....they just want the plants gone...as fast as they can get out the door. I always have DH check the rack before he leaves to come home. It's great!!!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I'm still here Brinda, scanning when I get a chance, my Dad is in the hospital since a fall last Friday so I come here for distraction therapy! Can't miss any gems, especially tobee's story time, sure enjoyed the eBay one, Wow, even found a couple blurbs online (cool first name tobee LOL!)
Kell, two other DGer's and I did a nursery shop-till-you-drop thingy last Sat., had a great time, now I need to repot all my new babies. Only a couple of new coleus came home with me this time, and a variety of begonias and a few other odds and ends. I keep telling myself no more plants, take care of the new ones you already have but the collecting addiction takes over sometimes, plus shopping with Kell can be a strong influence, before you know it, you're looking at plants you never noticed before! So now I've added the Bromalaid forum to my watch list. Woe is me!

Have a happy gardening day all.

Brinda, I was being funny. I appreciate sharing my stuff with you guys, but I get a little uncomfortable with being made over. LIke I said, I'm not a candidate for anybody's sainthood. Only God determines that for me. and I'm no "goody two-shoes" either. Just a christian trying to do the right thing.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

georgiagarden---PLEASE don't be envious of the rain. we have been so flooded here it's just terrible........and you will just NOT believe the critters we have. i have never had such problems. the mosquitoes are so bad, you can't go out for sec without spraying an entire bottle of stuff that stinks all over you..or you'll be eaten alive.

hehehe..my friend john was speaking with me on his cell phone as he was driving. he got to his driveway and stopped the car and said."OMG!! they are swarming in the millions, attacking the car..should i make a run for it or what?? i'm going to be eaten alive!!." DEATH by mosquitos!" i'm like start the car up and get to my house...we'll spray you good and then you can make it to your door! he comes over, we spray him and he starts for home. it was hilarious (but really not funny!) LOL ok it was funny...he had me on the phone the entire time and it sounded like a battle! he's shouting.....GET OUT OF HERE! LEAVE ME ALONE! you could actually here him swatting them as he was running to his front door. OMG! NO MORE RAIN please!

to make matters worse, i'm sure you all realize that pest controls that you use to use effectively are just not working the same anymore. well that's because the feds but a stop to allowing many of those chemicals for home use. as a result we have not been killing off the populations of the "bad" critters, hence, the populations have increased 100 fold. what an absolute mess. i have NEVER had Japanese beetle..holy cow, they are eating up my canna leaves likes there is no tomorrow...that's because they were USE to the possibility of no tomorrow, but now the stuff you try to get them with doesn't work at all! what a mess the regulators made of this one that is for sure. sorry...i got going there!

now...i know a drought is terrible and i most certainly appreciate what your going through, i know it's difficult to make a choice of who lives and dies in the garden. i'm just not sure which is the lesser of the two evils. i'll be praying for some nice gentle rain for you..:)

gg...you are getting so good with plant id! we'll be coming to you soon!

brinda, i really supposed it just fine to plant patterns together...just looks a bit busy as a bee to me!

brinda i'm not certain where chataquah, ny is, i'm thinking it's way up north albany way. which is a couple of hours from me. but i'm not certain at all. i 'm really near port jervis, warwick, and pine island ny. but if you come out here we can meet half way!! and have dinner..or again you can come and stay for a while! (as long as you make your bed!) LOL

ahhhhh...for some reason, i missed hap being away. now i get why we haven't seen her.

calif sue...woweeee..haven't seen you in a bit! i'm from san bruno..up the street and down the block from you. what fun it must have been to get together with some other dg's and go shopping!!!!!! too bad no one live near me :((( that would so fun! hehehe...and woe's is you??? not really!

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

UGH, Tobee! I love that planter, I remember it from before. How on earth did you get your Torenia to do that? Mine still looks wimpy and just keeps growing up and up, reaching for the sky like someone is holding a gun to it!!

I can't keep up with every thing.

GG, you are ok, right? I thought you were joking too, but I did the same as Brinda and thought about it later and got concerned. I didn't know if you meant you felt that for real or if you just meant she was making your blood pressure rise as in a LOL kind of thing. I hope you check in soon.

Sue, I hope your Dad is ok. Sorry to hear about that. How is he doing? How are you doing?

I've been working on my new site, and need that name! I can't publish anything to the web till I have a name...can't even buy space w/out a name. It'll be a general "my life" site, so whaddya think? Most of the names starting with Heather are taken, so I'm thinking of using HeatherJoy...and maybe even changing my name here, it seems to confuse people. No one here seems at all interested in what I name the site which is a bit of a bummer. So, the name would be something like heathrjoysplace.com...or other words I could add on to heatherjoys that I've thought of are....world, life, view. Help please!!!

edited to say that....when I said "No one here seems at all interested in what I name the site which is a bit of a bummer." I meant no one in my family, not YOU gals!!!!!!!!

This message was edited Jul 13, 2006 10:46 AM

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

heather, yeah, i agree gg......i'm not liking any pains in the chest??? ok...so what's up?

it's so hard when you plate is so darn full of life.

and...gg i have seen many a christian, still not do close to the good deeds you do. all that good comes from your soul and spirit cause if it's not there to begin with, it's not coming just because you know it's the right thing to do. please please please relax a bit. i know that so difficult with such a full plate.. and i know, much easier said than done.

you too sue, i'm your dad being in the hospital, i will be saying extra prayers for him today.

oh..and heather the torenia, just doesn't have any other place to go!

Tobee,
I was getting depressed because our yard has those same KILLER mosquitos. My DH finally got tired of me sitting in the den window looking out, and pining to be outside. But, the one time they sent me inside in tears was enough to stay inside. So, now he uses a fogger in the yard, just before I plan to go outside. It's really been working, too. I still put on the lotion repellant and socks and long sleeves and a jacket with a hood. You'd think it was Fall inside of the heat of summer. The neighbor asked how I could stand to be covered up so in the heat. When it's a choice between the terrible itching from the allergic reaction to mosquito bites or bundling up and sweating off a few pounds I need to lose anyway, the choice is a no-brainer!

P.S. I heard citronella candles are a total waste of money, and only attract the mosquitos more (the heat). Also, we have a small mosquito zapper that sits out all night, and I've bought some Dunks to crush up and spread around on the soil and in the containers, since those rascals are even laying larvae on the moist soil!

Die Hards!

YA'LL I WAS KIDDING ABOUT THE HEART PALPATATIONS!!!! NOT TO WORRY, PLEASE!

Hap,
You're being missed tremendously!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

LOL Heather....I was getting ready to send one of those 'smacks' like tobee does! My poor brain can't think right now. But I will dwell on it today and see if I can come up with something. Start writing down all your ideas so you don't forget. Tell me....why would you change your name here? Why does it confuse people? Now I'm confused! LOL

Oh Sue...I do hope things are better for your Dad. I had read on the brug forum that he was ill, just didn't know what had happened. How are things now? I'm adding him and your family to my prayer list! And I've been watching your nursery hopping thread! You all had way toooo much fun! LOL No...I don't think that's possible....there's no such thing and 'toooo much fun' is there? LOL Oh how I wish I lived closer to you all....I just love Kell and I know she has to be such a fun person to be around. She's way up at the top of my list of special people!

Well, GG....I feel better now! I had so hoped that you were being funny! Whew!!!

Hey tobee....I can relate to the mosquito thing...I hate them and they love me! Somewhere I read that they like blondes more! Sheesh....wouldn't ya know it. I can be standing in a group of 100 people and I promise you....they will attack ME! DH now sprays that stuff called Cutter before we go out. It will last for about 5 days without problems from mosquitoes. I sure like it...I think we should have purchased stock in the company now! LOL

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Just a comment on mosquitos, I live in FL, remember? They have been worse this year even with our lack of rain. I have to use copious amounts of "Off" so I usually do a test run befor applying it. We have either high flyers, or low flyers on any given day, so I only have to spray the appropriate area of the body.

I have a huge patch of Bromiliads to pull up because they are breeding in their cups....didn't even think of this before (DUUH) Hopefully this will cut down on the population.
Pati

Sure do miss Hap (sigh)

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

i think we all miss hap...:( maybe she will check in!!!! and tell us what's she up to??

well, i'm like gg and brinda...they absolutely LOVE my blood. and i have a terrible reactions to them and swell and actually also they itch, they hurt like i have been punched by someone.

we could never bomb or use anything outside we have such a very large area to cover!!!

pati, your so right to seek out places that water accumulates. apparently, here, it doesn't seem to matter much...they breed in the damp and multiply like crazy and since all we have had is damp and rain for a month and half it's been idea for them without any standing water what so ever!

i was reading in the paper that everyone is going out of their minds here about it. usually, the town will spray with a bad infestation. however, this year no one sprayed for anything. they stopped two years ago spraying the gypsy moth's now they came back this season and destroyed over half the state parks trees. the state, county, and municipalities still did absolutely nothing about it. everyday in the paper more and more of our trees are being eaten alive! but now..the caterpillars have stopped so things should be quieting down with the gypsy moths...of course just in time for the japanese beetles to arrive!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Quoting:
have a huge patch of Bromiliads to pull up because they are breeding in their cups

LOL Pati.....I'm definately blonde! I had to re-read this because I thought you meant the Bromiliads were breeding in their cups! LOLOL I thought, so why is that a problem?

I miss Hap too! But I bet she is having so much fun with her baby girl!

Ouch tobee... I hate JB!

Sue, No pictures from that shopping trip? Sure is fun to shop with other gardeners.

I have pulled and replanted about 30 margurite sweet potatoe vines this morning. Got one tuber, weird shaped and Magenta!! Gonna take a tray of 18 to a RU in Tampa next week. I am also gonna use my new tiller to prep the triangle for planting. Have to go stake the sprinkler line to avoid hitting it.

Have ordered a 10# scale from the PO last Saturday. On tues I checked status and in red they clearly stated that it would be shipped in 2 weeks. I have stuff to be weighed tomorrow, so I ordered another scale from ebay and sent the USPS store an e-mail canceling my order. Well as soon as they got my e-mail they took the $ from my account and then I wrote them another e-mail. Now I just checked and the...........scale has been mailed. I am furious and will be returning it unopened. They must have been privatized. I sent another letter already.

Got to get back to the yard, Love all the pictures tobee.

Brinda, sounds like the step son, well lets just say the apple didn't fall too far from the tree with that driving thing. How's the kid doing?
And by-the-way, Dayne is still doing very well. Those prayers are working.

GG you are doing a great job of being a good Christian and I still think that throne is waiting.

Sidney

Pati, could you jut put a few Mosquito grainuels in each cup instead of trashing the Broms?
Just a thought. The Bromilads are pretty, in a Fla sort of way.
;)

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I love Bromes! Don't kill them! At least trade them.

Sugar, these are HUGE and spreading! They were here when I moved here, along with a Devil's Backbone that was trying to devour the other part of the yard. Cut that down, beat what I couldn't reach into the ground with a shovel. and it's growing back! (sigh)

The Bromiliads have a tall red flower that is really pretty, but they didn't bloom this year.....that spells their doom!
Pati

LOL Heathrjoy, I wish you come come down and get them. It's going to take a small bulldozer to get them all out. I can't imagine trying stuff them in boxes for mailing!
Pati

I got some when "the sisters" moved in next door and tossed 20 out. So I put 2 or 3 between every azealea bush. I gave them all away 2 years ago and trashed the azealeas too. They were past their prime and dated the house. They only bloom 3 weeks. I replaced them with Crepe Myrtles that bloom 15 weeks.
Get some teenagers to get rid of those Broms, or get really mad. LOL
Sidney

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I guess those type of plants are more yearned after if you spend 4 months locked indoors looking out the windows at total grayness and 2 feet of snow! =^)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

gawd....yall are reall blabber mouths...i am so far behind.....panting panting....will catch up in a minute

tobee...yup it is called custom landscape designer

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

tobee the pic of coleus that you say others say is a hybrid....is it ?? picture on 8:11 am

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Y'all don't have any names for the site???

Hey Guys!

Crush up the Dunks and spread around in the pots that hold water. Won't hurt the plants, only treat the water to inhibit mosquito larva deposits.

CUTTER YARD FOGGER IS THE BOMB! TOTALLY! A girlfriend turned me on to it, and yes, it does work very well. And, from what I hear, you don't have to spray the whole yard, just a circle around yourself where you're working. She told me to determine my perimeter, hold the can out at arm's length and spray a circle around my work area. Seems the Cutter fog both rises and crops to form a tall shield where it's sprayed. Also, I'm finding that the Skin so Soft lotion is working better than the Off spray. Lasts longer too.

This message was edited Jul 13, 2006 11:54 AM

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Heather, I have a few in my head! But the one that I like the best is.....

HeatherJoy's Boy Toy

How is that?

Heather,
How about "Heather's Joy Space"? And, please refresh my memory about what you're promoting on your website.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

not promoting anything, just a site for me to have fun on

Brinda I like that, but don't think dh would, LOL!!!

I like yours GG and may go with that. I just checked and it's available. Hmmmmm

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

ok, crazy ladys, it's
heathersjoyspace.com
and it's legal now.

I'll let you know when it's up and running.

Thanks!!!

I continue to be humbled.....Thanks!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

ok now do i have this correct....heather is spaced..so she's having some joy??? that'll work!

brinda..."bromeliads were breeding in their cups!" now let's not repeat that beyond this room. it'll be everyone in here's secret...TG i USED to be brunette! LOL!! love ya brinda ;)

sidney, you have been working so hard today! yikes. i'm old and that's why i do everything so early in the morning because once the sun is hitting full blast....i'm blasted right out of it. that's why i start as such an ungodly hour of the day. i like to be done by 11-12 each day.

funny heather isn't it that we would just dream of brome's in our gardens. fat chance! LOL they are just so spoiled.

pati i was wondering, do you have to thin them out periodically to keep them blooming?? or is that just the way their life span is...they bloom themselves out?

sticks thanks for the software info. i have two programs now. i just hate one more than the other, it's probably because i'm still not perfect with them. yes, the pic at 8:11 is a hybrid...and i'm brain dead today so the name's not coming..it's like i'm blank..i'm in shut-down mode..or was. there are at least 2 types i know. then are great. get bigger than reg coleus and don't go to seed. they can get over 4 feet high and are just beautiful. the name will come.

so....back in up mode for work! darn thought i would have one entire day down! i found out i have to do a container planting demo at the state fair grounds on saturday morning. i really have better things to do that prepare sheets of instructions...which usually i have ready, but the fairgrounds are supplying the plants so i have to "instruct" for those specific plants. and they give me such yuck to work with! although one still gets the point across, i suppose. i'm just copying and pasting and then adding stuffs...should work fine.

leave it to gg...she's got those creative juices going on all the time!

This message was edited Jul 13, 2006 2:48 PM

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Pic of tobee's at 8:11 = Magila Perilla

???

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.