Coleus Chatter July 12-15

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Sidney.....you're so right when it comes to the apple not falling far from the tree! LOL But I have to say that DH doesn't drive that fast. He just thinks that you shouldn't stop along the way to enjoy the sites. There is something about being he** bent for our destination! LOL

As far as my stepson goes! Oh my.....sit down, this is a good one! LOL As far as the 120mph driving ticket, he got fined $600.00 and has to go to driving school. Then he goes back to court in Sept....not sure what will happen then. Personally...my opinion....I think he should lose his license. But I'm not the law...even though he thinks I act like it! LOLOL

But that wasn't as bad as what I'm getting ready to tell you. I think this is the ultimate of the ultimates! This kid will be 21 at the end of this month and for some reason he thinks that he should be exempt from rules, regulations and laws. I'm not sure if I told you all this story or not...so sorry if part of this is a repeat. Short story.....the first of June he was to show up for his weekend drill on Friday and they were going to Ark for the two week (yearly) drill. Well on late Friday afternoon I got a call from his Sgt asking if he was here because Sean was supposed to show up at 7am for drill that day. Long story short....I found Sean and told him his Sgt was trying to get ahold of him and he needed to return his call. Well....I guess he did call the Sgt back because on Saturday afternoon (while my youngest and I were working in the backyard) a man stuck his head over the fence asking if Sean was here. I went to the front door and the man was standing there is army fatigues (big muscled-up kind of mean looking man) looking for Sean. I told him he wasn't here and he asked if I knew where to find him. LOL As I glanced down at the paper in his hand.....he held it out and said "I have a warrant for his arrest"!!!! Oooooohhhhh! It seems that not only had Sean not shown up on Friday, he didn't show up on Saturday either for their trip to Ark. Oh boy and the arresting officer told me that Sean had told his Sgt on the phone to ******* and I'm guessing his Sgt wasn't toooo happy about it. So yes, I told him where to find him and he was arrested and sent off to his two week drill. Sean came home and told his dad that it wasn't a big deal at all. He got yelled at by them....blah..blah...blah! Hmmmmm......well, then about 2 weeks later the mailman shows up at the door with two certified letters for him. Yup! Summons/Court Marshall!!!! This kid has no respect for authority and I bet he doesn't get far with any of this stuff now. It's like DH told him...."I spent 20 years in the Navy and I would have been thrown in the brig if I would have done that....and I don't think things have changed that much"!!!! Date is set for next week....but somehow I doubt we hear what happens.

Well....that turned out to be a bit longer than I had planned....LOL Sorry for the book. I'm tellin ya...there is never a dull moment around here! LOL

Sidney, it's great to hear that Dayne is doing great! WTG!!! I'm so proud of him!!!

Pearl River, LA

Pattishell.....shirleyt here...could we please have a pic of the bromiliads before you destroy them...I cannot imagine a site like that....a bull dozer?????? It is a miracle to get one to grow for a season here for us..... and what is a devils backbone..... you guys have fun at the roundup...... I start baby sitting the granson tomorrow.......for ten days...and yes my latest GS is a dog..... growing by leaps and bounds 30 lbs now and he is not three months old yet.... Sandy is going on vacation to Captiva for ten days.... health reasons for the PP keep us home but I can babysit the doggie....what fun!!!!! we are looking forward to it...shirleyt

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

sugerweed, pics of our shopping trip and our ramblings are in this thread, starting with June 9th.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/622447/#new

and this is a favorite nursery I always take pictures at as they have fabulous pot combos
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/624739/

Dad will be going to rehab facility as soon as they find a bed, tomorrow meeting with surgeon to see about removing a tumor found in his head that grew very fast, acounting for his weakness and memory problems, better news than the stroke they suspected.
Plants, work and Gkids keep me busy. :-)

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Still working on the site...and I am a bit spaced at this point. Eyes are going crossed, but I do that naturally. Seriously tho the monitor is giving me what we called "Nintendo eyes" as a kid. Yow.

Just working on navigation now so I can publish. I've still got to get out and take some Baxter pics. Poor pup hasn't been out much today...neither have I. I haven't felt good, so this is a good project for today.

I'll catch up with you gals in a bit.

Back to work for me. No, wait, I enjoy this.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, I just work till I get weak and then I come inside and spend too long in dave's garden. Gonna go out and do some tilling while the day is winding down. Molly is picking up the tiller tomorrow.
Later.
Sidney

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

good morning all!

sidney, hope you got all your tilling done before the tiller was picked up!

thanks brinda, it's becoming more common that i'm brain dead by mid morning these days. gg did point out the magila perilla as she's becoming so garden smart;)

heather work hard on that site!. i know you'll make it great.

busy day today. i hate those running around days. but i have to get some things done and some yuck paper work together.

watering didn't take hours this morning, since everything is still SO wet. it's sorta worrisome. but the next few days we'll be in the high 90's and possible 100's, so hopefully we should dry out a bit. i went out into the back pool area where things were looking great (yesterday) only to find the ground hog once again ate everything in site. ahhhhhhhh....death to ground hogs!! rabbits and the like! may they all go to plant hell and suffer!

well i'm off to do chores! everyone have a wonderful day! later!

xoxoxoxoxox

edited for typos!

This message was edited Jul 14, 2006 8:32 AM

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning all! I got to sleep in today! Wooohooooo! It sure felt good. We woke up to thunderstorms again today so it was really nice sleeping with the soft sound of the falling rain. Sooooo peaceful.

Heather? How is the website coming along? I can't wait to see it!

Tomorrow is my youngest's birthday so we're taking him downtown OKC to the boat races and then to BassPro......he will stay in that store for HOURS! LOL But he loves it and so does DH! I sure don't, but I guess they have put up with me long enough on my plant addiction that I need to be gracious and enjoy my time at BassPro also. LOL

You all have a great day!

xoxoxox

Well, the tiller will crank, then die before I can adjust the choke. I'm gonna keep it here another week and get my buddy Hal to work on it.
Hal has been one of and sometimes my only best friend for the last 15 years.
We used to date and one night about 8 years ago I casually mentioned I might like to get married again.
He said, "I hope he's someone I like." LOL
Well after that we've just been the best of friends.
I did get another dab of tilling done. Now I'm gonna catch a quick nap.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sid i just love how you drop these HUGE bits of information in these casual conversations....men are amazing....'i hope he is someone i like'........what an idiot; my own opinion....but it sounds like the idiots i was with....

brin...we must have the SAME weather...thunder this a.m. a few spits of moisture and that is it....lots of clouds...so i sit outside cause it is pleasant

tobee....i would die if some animal ate my stuff.....i would DIE

heather...we wanna see that website....

YEHAW!!!! it is friday.....but my sis's dog is coming to stay with us for 5 days....and it is not a trained dog....i dread it......

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

oooooooooooooH Weeeeeeeeeeee! Sounds like we're all off and running this cheery Friday morning.

Tobee: Can you set a trap for a groundhog? and a bunny? Send me the bunny. I'll pay for shipping. Keep the groundhog...

Sid: Thanks for the compliment. I have years to go before I catch up to you guys' expertise. I'm still an amateur!

Calif Sue: your dad's on my prayer list.

Brinda: If and when he finally does go to jail, just remember it will be exceedingly hard, but you must NOT bail him out. Trust that it may be God's way of finally getting his attention. I've been there with a close friend who bit the bullet and left her son in prison for 6 years. She could've got a high-priced attorney, hocking the house and tapping into her savings, etc., but she didn't.

He was angry as all get out when she told him she wouldn't bail him out, and even stopped communicating with her for the first several months. But, he slowly came around, and began to take stock of his life as it was. The judge gave him such a harsh sentence for a series of minor crimes that seemed to be adding up to something major. So the judge did what he felt necessary to "save" my friend's son from REALLY doing something serious. It worked...

Today, he is one of the finest 32-year old men I have the privilege of knowing. I would take him as my own son in a HEARTBEAT. He has three beautiful children, a beautiful wife, a job (and any odd jobs he can get if he needs to earn more money). He is responsible for his home and his children, spends time with and takes care of them. He is a Christian man. I am proud to know him...

Not that you asked, of course....

Sug: Stay friends with this man forever. One day, if it's God's will, HE will look up and realize that he loves you dearly and wants a different kind of life with you. Then, you'll have a treasure AND a friend...Until then, enjoy his company, laugh, cry, share...build upon your relationship as it is...and send me a wedding invitation...

HEATHER: Is Heather out enjoying her space? Where's the website, girlfriend???

Sticks: Yeah, you gotta be prepared for bombshells with this group. They tend to keep you on your toes!

Hugs to You all!

Don't worry, GG Hal is one of my very best friends. I'm 19 days older than him and we are both boilermakers. We sometimes travel togeather and always have each-others back. I am very lucky to have him in my life.
Well, got back a few hours ago from digging some plants at a ladies house that has been sold for iminent domain. Got several nice gingers you can eat the flowers of, dutchmans pipe seeds, gloriosa lilies, hibiscus and fig cuttings and some other vines I have no idea about the names of. I was just amazied at the goodies.
It is so hot out I was crawling by the time I got home. Makes a gal want to take a nap.
;)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i updated the other thread where i was asking what i should buy for a new bed....the nursery had 1.00 plants and i asked you what you thought.......well here is a picture of the new bed...and the other thread shows what i planted in it

Thumbnail by sticks_n_stones

Oh Joni, that is very pretty, and those are real plants right???, LOL I was so amazed by that dern trellis I just had to check.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

yup this is the real banana..........(the bed is planted in caladiums, salvia, shasta daisies, purple lady (which i think is a annual that can be brought in and will grow indoors....crysanthemums, lariope, coneflower and one other that i cant remember the name)

here was my computer graphics model....would still love some pank(thats texas for pink) trees like it...but cant figure out what would work in this bed

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

frontal pic....real plants

Joni, I think you need two tuscalero crepe myrtles, although I like the dark purple too. I love mine and I believe they will grow for you there.
MHO
;)

Pearl River, LA

sticks ....your garden looks great.... If you put in the crepe myrtles you may want to put them further apart than the computer plan..my neighbor has them and they grow quiet large and need space to branch out....his are twenty feet apart as planted and after five years they are almost touching...do they have a small type?? I do not know..... just a thought.... I love what you are doing...cottage look is my favorite...shirleyt edit....these are just starting to bloom and leaf out...and remember they went through a terrible pounding from Katrina....

This message was edited Jul 15, 2006 9:06 AM

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Look at this site. It has sooooo much information on the Crepe Myrtles and love the fact that it's divided into the different heights. I am slowly adding to my collection. http://www.clemson.edu/crapemyrtle/

Pati

Well, the CMs are every where from small to trees and it's all in the pruning, or lack of it. Also the climate between where you and Joni live is drastic. We have much higher humidity in the south.
Also Join's will have limited sun.
Shirley, What Zone are you in? Looks to be 8b or 9a.
Pati's site is great
;)

This message was edited Jul 15, 2006 10:18 AM

Pearl River, LA

Sidney I am in zone 8b on the Northshore of Lake Pontchartrain.... Slidell put cms for landscaping trees on the Blvd about five years ago and they lost most of them to the heat, the lack of water and pollution.....they could not take the conditions.... but then what can .....maybe Oleander...they survived on the strip into N O for a long time.... I am trying to post my kong coleu for you....I am not too happy with it...the babies grow too slow and it needs a lot of watering or the leaves just curl up....shirleyt

Thumbnail by shirleyt
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Pati, thanks for that site. My Mom has a gorgeous CM and I've always wanted a cutting from it. Maybe now I can do it....wish me luck! LOL

How is everyone today? It is scorching hot here today and it's also my youngest son's birthday. He is having friends over to swim. I'm almost dreading it! LOL

I woke yesterday to the sound of thunder and thought.....oh goody....I won't have to water today. What a HUGE mistake that was!!! We went off shopping and got home around 4pm and ALL my coleus plus many more things were more than swooning! I thought of you Sidney when I saw them. I ran after the hose and started watering....about half way through the watering job I was so hot and miserable. I really thought I was gonna have a heat stroke, that's how hot it was. I finished and came inside to lay under the fan. I just don't know how some people can work out in such high temps like it is. And they say it's gonna be this way all week long.

Joni, aren't you having swealtering heat there? The news channels here keep posting heat alerts! First time I've ever seen that!!! You all have a great day today and try to stay out of the heat.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sid....i wanted crepe myrtles but that bed only gets 2 - 3 hours of sun....the crepe gurus said it wasn't enuf....can you think of something else...i thought about planting some there and when they started doing poorly....move them....(i know stupid...but i have done stupider stuff)

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

shirley those are beautiful....i probably would have killed myself if i had gone thru katrina and the pounding yall did.....i cry at even my cats laying in my flowerbed much less a huge storm.....as i told sid...that bed only gets at the most 3 hours a day of sun.....so i am not sure crepes will work....but that is what i want....

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

patti...i hope to do my backyard in crepes when i get done with the front....thanks for that site....will need all the help i can get!!!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

brin...yup we have terrible heat....all week; we have the wind tho that helps a little....except that it acts like a blowdryer on hot to the plants....i am just watering extra and hoping that all is well with my plants...

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

kong coleus....you know when i started with it i didn't love it....it leaves split...it looked parched it was not fun to grow....but now that all mine are doing great....i have told myself that i will never be with out them....the leaves only split on the old grow that was in the nice nursery...then when i brought them out of the nursery, my west texas heat and wind dryed them out bad.....but once i got new leaves on it ....well they were aclimated to the environment they were in and are doing well....

Pearl River, LA

I have those plants staged against the fema waiting for our new home to put them where I want them....everythings permanent is on hold....I am just playing with a few things this year....rooting some coleus and reseeding cosmos as they seed...we have plenty time for new plants to bloom .... I have taken some cuttings of things in my daughtes garden.... everything is doing well....but it is hot and dry dry dry here too....If you do not get it done right after daylight forget it ....it gets over 90 very fast...Is it nice and cool for anyone...shirley

Well Joni, we have crepemyrtles everywhere here in sun, in shade, and in between. I see where Clemson says 6-8 hours full sun. You might try a bright plant light hidden in those elms that comes on for 4 hours the sun doesn't do it naturally.
In my youth I was champion tree climber.
The Crepe Myrtle that was split and I sorta taped back togeather is blooming and noe of those get 6-8 hours full sun.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sid.....hmmmmm, does that mean you are coming to my house to climb up in my tree......remember i fall off roofs....so i better stay out of trees.....(grin)

I might could find a monkey of a cousin's grandson to come do it. But if you were closer I might still try.
LOL
Sidney

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Joni, that pic of your coleus is beautiful!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

a coleus that LOVE built...(this group) (big ole grin)

You are so right Brinda. Just beautiful. I want some of that one on the left in the front.....Please in September.
I went galloping around Jacksonville. First to pick-up a pair of near kahki slacks from Freecycle and I ended up in foriegn territory to me. I found a different nursery and they had several large coleus. One was a ruffled lemony plant about 3' tall and priced that way too. Well trying to be responsible, I asked a lady if I could have a cutting of my choice for the same price I was paying for the other two smaller pots I was getting. She had to go ask management, and they agreed.
Here is most of the harvest I got from that cutting.
One of the other pots had a second different coleus in it so I got 6 cuttings from that one. Sorta resembles tilt-a-whirl I think.
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Then I got a huge "Fright night" and here is what I did with just a dab of that pot and the other one was another I never have had. Anyone has a name for this bottom one.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Girlfriend, you are a propagatin' fool! You surely made a haul today!!! WTG and I can't wait to see them when they get bigger!

I've spent all evening trying to figure out this stupid new camera. And it's about to make me nuts!!!! My oldest showed me how to take pics and he also showed me how to put them on the puter. The problem is that between the time I learned to take pics and the time I learned to put them on the puter, I managed to take almost 300 pics and now my poor computer can't handle trying to open that many pics! LOL Somehow I've got to figure out how to delete the pics that I've downloaded....and since my son has gone home, I guess that means I have to read the directions. ......and I HATE to read directions....I'm always thinking 4 or 5 steps ahead and never understand it. LOL

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sid....oh i am so excited....it will be my first coleus gift!!!!!....and to warn ya'll i just wrote a diary in a new forum so that you may ponder to tell me that i am insane....i am driving myself nuts

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sid you are as maniacle(sp) as i am ....i am sitting here at 11pm trying to figure out how many flipping colues can i grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

my hubbie said we are nuts

My program lets me select all for a slide show, then I check the ones to toss. When I exit the slide show all of those are higlighted pink. I click delete and my puter ask do you want to deleate 42 images and I click yes. Then I touch up all the rest. If it's not worth tweaking, it's not worth keeping. I hope that helps.
The card in my camera only takes 1,700 without downloading and I love it. (Good DB) What astounds me is how great the focus is at night.
I'm planning trip to Fort Lauderdale in October to flea market sell to snowbirds. I'll need alot of plants for that.
It's been a great day. Yesterday we dig all of these. I will be up at dawn potting and planting these.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sid....what did you mean by: Yesterday we dig all of these. I will be up at dawn potting and planting these.

brin...i am technically challenged....i wish i could help but i am stupid....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.