Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE
Louisville, KY

As the story goes back in the day in Hawaii only the king could eat the fruit from the AE AE banana which is streaked white and green. Aparently if you were caught eating it it could mean death. Or atleast that is how the story goes.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

now the only one who can afford it is the king....LOL

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Brian, are those brown spots from sunburn? Does this banana have a hard time in the sun because of the varigation? I know its a hard plant to grow -even in Hawaii, I wonder why?

The Hawaiian royalty-the alii- sure had it good. To be overweight was a sign of the alii, they all weighed about 300-400 lbs... they would eat all day, and then have their stomachs massaged to digest the food faster so they could eat more.....now I know what they were eating so much of lol

Citra, FL

Ah, the elusive Ae Ae. Isnt it just gorgeous? I have yet to hear anything about what kind of fruit it puts out. All discussion just begins and ends on that beautiful foliage.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

the fruit is so cute.........stripped just like the leaves! (at least the ones i've seen. i'm no expert.) too pretty to eat!

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Oh variegation. not fair, just when i i thought i could live without one here It comes again. I really need one to match my cannas and heleconias. The price (although crazy) isn't so much the issue as to wheather you can keep it alive once you get it. So Brian just what is the trick to geting it to maturity. Id like to get one and sell the pups off cheaper and maybe bring the price down for everybody else.

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

I was so desperate for this one that I finally bought one from Hawaii. And then I killed it dead in about 3 weeks. Woe was me. I may try it agin but only if I find one cheap.

Fulton, MO

From what I've read on this and many other threads, the Ae Ae is nealy impossible to grow... your heart will be broken...

Celt, I remember reading somewhere that they are slow to pup, thus the $300 price tags. Is that true, bw?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

There is a nursery north of me about 30 miles. He has AeAe that he is propagating to sell next year. He has multiple pups growing around Them. Seems to be similar in number and size compared to regular AeAe. He is going to sell them for 100 bucks each. I for one, will take the plunge.

Citra, FL

Okay, rylaff, spill your guts.....wheres the guy with the AE AE pups?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I have seen them for $ 100 each also -from some reputable online nurseries...later on today I will find it/them and link

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

AeAe co-op.........

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I just looked in my Agri-Starts catalog and didn't see it. I think the only way to do a co-op is to do tissue culture? I don't think you could get enough people to get a nursery to drop their price enough to make it worth it-for them or the people wanting to chance $ 80 or so for a very hard plant to raise-esp in the colder zones-imo.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

co-op, co-op, co-op! i'm visiting our local nursery today that has some beauties growing, but i think they quit selling them because of the reliability factor. people were wanting their money back, etc. they have several huge ones growing beautifully in their greenhouse. i visit just to stare at them....okay, not really. i spend 3/4 of my pay check there every month!

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I was kidding about the co-op
although I betcha you could get 20 people to do it.........

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

i thought the co-op suggestion was really funny :o)) you're right though, i think at least 20!

Oakland, CA(Zone 10b)

Here's a picture I took in May of 2005 of a fruiting Ae Ae at the San Francisco Conservatory in Golden Gate Park. It's a big 'un! And NO pups!

Thumbnail by Chris_THGA
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow, how awesome is that.

Oakland, CA(Zone 10b)

Indeed! I haven't been back since, so don't know if it's cranked out a pup yet or not - guess I ought to go check. Of course, I would have to pass by with hands firmly in pockets to resist the temptation to yank it out . . . ;-)

It's neat to see the very distinct variegation on the nanners themselves, too. And just one little bone of contention I have with the conservatory folks - no labels! I knew what it was because I knew what it was, KWIM? They had a great looking palm with hot pink stems, which I'd love to be able to identify. But no labels and no roving docents or other knowledgeable folks about. Maybe I should take my P-Touch with me when next I visit?

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

I see people selling seeds of this on eBay (at least a cross of Aeae). Will the variegation come true from seed (apparently from the cross if you believe the pictures)? How does one pronounce Aeae and is it one word or two?

This message was edited Aug 22, 2006 7:36 AM

Riverview, FL(Zone 9b)

Save your $. Do not buy the Ae Ae seeds. Ae Ae's do not produce seeds.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

dave, in the Hawaiian language, you pronounce every vowel separately- and there is no long and short vowels. The "a" is pronounced "ah", and the "i" is our long "e" , their "e" is pronounced "eh", their "o" is pronounced "oh" and their "u" is pronouced like our long "u"....I hope I explained that right!! I can speak it when I see it , but I don't think I have ever explained it before. Ae'ae is pronounced aheh, the plant ti is pronounced tea

Miami, FL

The Ae Ae in the San Fransisco was given too much Potassium Nitrate. I used it on mine 2 months ago and you can see the lower leaves are greener then normal. About 5 weeks ago we had a rain squall and my largest 2 plants went down. Last year we had three stalks of fruit. Two of the stalks blew over in the hurricanes (3), one was mature and ripened very well. We eat them green and fully ripe. It's my favorite banana fruit and I would grow it just for the fruit. Go to my site to see what a hurricane can do to an Ae Ae.
http://togofcoralgables.com/default.aspx

Thumbnail by jns
Oakland, CA(Zone 10b)

It's great to see pictures of Ae Ae under almost any circumstances, but it's hard to see them beat up and knocked down. Any chance the two you lost will come back from the roots? I really enjoyed reading your own history with your Ae Ae dynasty - makes me wonder if many (all?) of the existing Ae Aes around the country had a start in your garden ;-) Thanks for sharing your images & stories! I guess I'll just have to go out there and take the White-Out to the Basjoo . . .

Chris

Springfield, MO(Zone 6a)

If these things don't produce seed nor offsets (as many claim) how in the world are they propagated?

My first post in this thread mentioned a guy on eBay selling variegated Banana seeds. He claims to have crossed Ae Ae "with a wild Musa from South East Asia" producing seed "the size of marbles" with 60+% germination. His picture of a resulting seedling looks very attractive. He adds, "I have germinated and am growing seedlings so these are gauranteed to germinate, but not gauranteed to be variegated so keep that in mind when you buy these o.k."

?

Dave.

Miami, FL

THGA one plant was too big to put upright again and it does not look like it will send up any pups other then those that had already formed ( they are weak). I replanted the smaller one. It was less than a year old and I thought that it would grow with out a problem. In five weeks it produced 2 small leaves and then a flower spike. I cut the spike and it just stands there. But I saw some new roots today. The pup from its original area is growing very well (thats the one that I first posted yesterday).
I did give away a lot of pups and only charged for them when I found some of my free pups were being sold. Now if I have any extra pups they are sold to commercial growers. Since most people that buy them are not able to grow them, I don't care to hear their gripoing
David it pups just like any other banana. At one time I had 16 types of banana. They all grew the same way except the Fahi which was a poor grower in my yard. As for seeds forget it. If it was possible it would have been done a long time ago. Also don't look for a clone the Ae Ae is a chimera and it will not clone. Its been tried and the results are either all green or all white

Riverview, FL(Zone 9b)

jns,

I looked at your web site and all I can say is WOW!!!!! You are an inspiration to me with all the beautiful plants you have. I have some of the same plants as you, but my garden is much younger than yours. I know what I have to look forward to.
I am jealous of climate/temps. Some of the plants you have will not grow here because of my winters. Atleast not with out LOTS of protection or a greenhouse. Your Musaenda's are huge! The Ae ae's are beautiful! I could go on and on. But I won't.
Anyways, your pictures are wonderful, beautiful, amazing,etc.....
You have given me many ideas on what I would like to do, add, and change in my garden.

Ariel

Oakland, CA(Zone 10b)

jns, I think we're all wishing we knew you "back in the day" before your generosity was so badly abused. Maybe in the future when next you have any that are going off to commercial growers you can give us a heads-up and we can try to purchase from them. At least that way we'd have a fair shot at the genuine article! And I'm going to keep thinking good thoughts for your damaged bananas and a complete recovery - one part of nature triumphing over another part of nature, perhaps.

On another note, I **love** your lotus pictures! I have high hopes of growing lotus in containers and seeing your images gives me great inspiration. My first attempt this summer didn't go well - the tuber wasn't in the pot 24 hours when the raccoons raided it in the night and that was that. Those tubers must be pretty tasty and the varmints know a special snack when they see - or smell - one. But I'll need to rig some kind of wire cover to raccoon-proof my next attempt.

Keep us updated on your Ae Ae recovery, and keep posting those great images!

Chris

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

thanks to the link you your sight...very inspiring! i too would love to try to grow some lotus (not sure of the plural). how hard are they? any special requirements?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I had the weirdest dream last night! lol In it, a friend of mine got hundreds of these Ae' Ae keikis and had planted them in her yard...how strange is that?? This friend of mine doesn't have any interest in gardening....why did she get them and not me??? lol

Miami, FL

THGA and Ashley you can grow lotus in your area with ease. This year I didn't have any problem with raccoons because I set out rat poison (the little blue blocks that are mixed with wax to make them water resistant). They will eat the bait but it will not kill them. They don't like the taste and they urinate on poison block. Then they know not to go around in that area and their friends will also stay away. Both raccoons and possums have often raised families in my garden. I have not been bothered this year.
Last month I went to the International Waterlily & Water Gardening Society's Annual Symposium that was held in Florida. I saw a lot of lotus growing in pots at the wholesale growers. The best time to start is early March when they are just ready to start growing. Seed can be started when its mature or you can wait a few thousand years. Contact me at my site. For some reason it takes a few days before I get the message but then I can give you more information. This site doesn't have a lotus thread.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I had 2 i grew theam under a large slow oak they seemed to do better there they also seem to make very few pups if it throws out a solid white one it wont surrive. reminds me a lot of the Stugart canna Regards Paul

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Well I guess that didn't work
Thres one on sale on ebay for for $275+ at the moment, any takers LOL

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Holy Smoke!!!

I have had some experience sending 'Ae 'Ae (Actually, Koa'ae as there are two shades of green). The recipient was Mel_Tn and the third try was a charm because I found a tissue culture plant which was small enough to ship and large enough to survive. The pups form slowly on the mother plant and by the time they are viable, they are HUGE...and difficult to ship. From Hawaii they need to be shipped bare root, which means washing all the soil off the roots....which decreases the survival possibilities. I am looking into an experiment...and if it works I will have pups.... stay tuned.....

All I can say is YES they are gorgeous...they grow beautifully and their bananas make the best pickles and chutney around....not really eating 'nanas, more like cooking 'nanas.

Carol

This message was edited Sep 11, 2006 7:15 PM

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

Carol, can you suggest a book on tissue culturing bananas? I would like to share more but big pups are hard to mail. I got some 4"ers on ebay that were tissue cultures and they grew up wonderfully.
Thanks!..Carol

(Zone 9a)

I have tried to do this banana in TC, like most bi-colors it wonít come true. 99% are all green and a few come in yellow and lack the ability to photosynthesize. I tried in my lab, I got quite a few bananas in there.. Unless you want to try stuff like protoplast fusion and spend a gazillion dollars on some high tech equipment and it wont be able to be done in the conventional home TC lab.. I have read and havenít tried, but some folks use a super high concentration of cytokines and do on occasion get a mutated variegation once in a blue moon..Ö If anyone else is doing TC on banana shoot me over a mail message.. looking for more contacts..

Chris

Fulton, MO

Carol, I'm hoping your experiment works! ;-) SB

Everglades, FL(Zone 10a)

I thought I did it on this thread but I wrote somewhere on DG that I still am in the running for an 'ae 'ae on ebay. I sure am excited. It is coming from Fort lauderdale and jns grows them in Coral Gables successfully.
Carol & jns, I might be jumping the gun but can you give me advise for success?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I couldn't tell you how to grow one because we just put them in the ground and away they go!!! I know that Mel_Tn on DG has grown one for about 4 years AND produced pups....and yes, hers was from tissue culture. Her name is Melanie and she is from Tennessee.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.