Dallas RU and Plant Swap Have and Wants Oct 8th

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

lol none of us do... I guess they will live and learn on the ropes for next year? Anyway it look like we will have several folks who might start posting and being part of this forum too.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ted--I think I would like a small agave. I've got this Angelonia--tough as nails, will put up with all your heat and drought conditions well, super easy to root.

Also this pink/lavender variety.

Longview, TX(Zone 8a)

Nada, sorry it's taken me so long to respond but I have you down for a cuphea and plumbago. I hope more people tag some things. I have a minivan so I'll bring as much as I can even if no one claims anything else. I haven't put down any wants, I just thought I'd wait and see but Mitch, in your post above, it sounds like if I don't specifically ask for something that most people only bring what was asked for. Is that true? If so, I guess I better figure some things out!

Greenie--I would like a Peach Ixora. Is there anything I can tempt you with on either my list or the posts above?

I will probably bring some extra plants; but I'm not rooting anything that's not requested. This is because of that elusive substance called time.....There is also the College Station RU to root for in Nov. I do a lot of winter seed sowing so in the spring I will bring lots of extras to that RU. I've also got some other things I haven't posted yet--I just don't want to post stuff I may not can produce yet. So check that list because it's changing daily. I just hope there's not a limit to how many times one can edit their post---lol

I'm also looking for one of those Texas red/pink yucca's I see all over the hill country (San Marcus/New Braunsfels area) with seed pods starting to mature about now or I will take seeds of it.

Longview, TX(Zone 8a)

The rangoon creeper looks beautiful, DMJ...we're looking for something to climb all over our unused barn. That looks ideal. So I'll take that...thanks much!! What has your experience been with it?

Longview, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey mitch, I'll take whatever daylilies you want to part with. See if there's anything of mine you'd like.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Debbie You have your name on (How Many) Have three of them in pint size pots.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Debbie,
I have three red yucca babies about four inches tall in pots plus seeds. I'll put your name on them if you like.

Ted--Oh thank you! I think one would do it. Is there anything you want?

Pat--I'd love a red yucca baby and definitely seeds. Tell me, what time of year do to seeds germinate? Is this a 'winter sowing' project?

Greenie--My rangoon creeper likes heat, blooms and grows best in full sun on new wood (which means you can cut it back to ground level in spring), likes medium amount of water in rich, fast draining soil, and for the most part--you have to 'guide' it where you want it to go. Do you definitely have a peach Ixora plant?

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Green - I dont need anything off your list unless you have some of the Salivias going I can always add more Salvia! EDITED TO ADD - but I will have you some DLs either way.

TA - Ted I found a Red Yucca for you and added your name to it, they love to grow here. I have one of the giant Nopals too if you want a paddle to grow there?

This message was edited Jul 23, 2006 3:41 PM

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Debbie,
I germinated the red yucca seeds in late winter in the greenhouse. I used a sandy mix and just covered the seeds. I kept the soil moist but not overly wet. They sprouted fairly quickly with a few weeks. You could certainly try winter sowing as the temp in my greenhouse was down in the 40's quite a few nights. Daytimes the temp often reached 90 or better when the sun was shining, even with an exhaust fan running.

Thanks Pat--I'll take a plant and as many seeds as you feel like saving. And a starter of those salvias I mentioned? =)

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Debbie, you were going to let me know today which salvias you had decided you could use. Pick all that you like, and I'll get them to rooting!

Pat--believe it or not I did get up and type that list this morning, but I can see by my "mail" that I must not have punched the "send" button. What can I say? I sure hope space cadet here gets out of her 'satellite' orbit within the next 2 weeks or I'm going to be in real trouble when those 60 hour weeks' hit me in on Aug 7th. ;)

How about salvias Argentine skys, 'Caradonna', big red sage, transylvanica, and a daffodil 'Ice Follies' or two?

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Debbie,
I've done the same thing more than once! :>)) I'd be a space cadet too if I were going back into the classroom in a few weeks. I will miss the kids and my adult friends, but right now, retirement is good.

I'll add the salvias and daffs to your list.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Debbie,
Please root me a cutting of your Angelonia, both if you can spare it. I have just today started a lot of cuttings and next weekend should know if I have some of those to offer. I have started a list, just not refined it yet.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I am trying to get my plants sorted out for the three R.Us , it gets complicated you know?
but I will have it all sorted out soon.

Thanks Pat!

No problem Sheila.

Josephine--I know what you mean. One in Oct and one in Nov just about stretches me to the limits of my organizational abilities. SA is just too close to Dallas swap, but I might just show up with plants. Someone needs to start a haves and wants thread for the College Station--would make it easier just to root all this stuff at one time--then only care of the plants in pots till then as opposed to rooting again AND care of pots.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

When is the San An?

I don't know if they've decided--its a long thread to read through.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Is transylvanica a salvia? I've never heard of it.

I like the Angelonia, I have a couple of small white ones planted in a windowbox. The blue and purple I actually like better than the white but I needed it for color contrast.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Here's a link to info on salvia transylvanica. Mine has bloomed since April without much break. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1167/index.html

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I have seen transylvanica and it is a great bloomer - you are going to love it.

Would love to know when theirs will be... I need to try to wiggle my way to more of these things..

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I like that. For some reason I was expecting something a little more sinister in blook red!

I mean blood red.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2006 4:33 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

or with bolt coming out of the plant?

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

and only blooms at night.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I beleive they are thinking about the middle of October for the San Antonio r.u.

Longview, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry, it was so beautiful out today that I've been outside for FOUR HOURS straight doing all the things I've been putting off for weeks because of the heat. All the weeds are pulled, the way-past-due deadheading is done, everything got a HUGE drink of water and some new plants are in the ground - YAY!!

Debbie, I definitely have the Ixora and it is beautiful. I'm going to try and start a new one for you but if it doesn't work out, I'll just give you one of mine so either way you're covered.

Mitch, I've got the Vista Mix which is doing great, even with the grasshoppers munching on it. I've also got Lady in Red and Coral Nymph, both which have been awesome performers. I'll start some and if they don't work out I'll just divide some of mine for you.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Great and thanks!

Thanks greenie--forgot to add the rangoon creeper has the most intoxicating fragrance. Fills the garden in early morning and late afternoon.

Longview, TX(Zone 8a)

Great Debbie, can't wait!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Just happened to stumble on the Food and Help thread....thought I would post the link here.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/628687/

Getting excited!!! :-))))

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

I have updated my list.

Longview, TX(Zone 8a)

TA, our firecracker cuphea has performed great in the heat and drought and has been a hummer and bumblebee magnet. My 3 salvia hybrids have done great too. Just let me know if you'd like anything.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

greene they sound good. Day Lilies do well also.

Dallas, TX

Everything I tried to root burned up in the heat ... got a few things. Five ZZ plant and five String of Pearls. I will make up for it with my food. :) Hopefully my Fringe Flower will take off.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We don't care if come empty handed Sylvia, it will be good to get together with everyone again. But you can bring food....!!!! LOL!

Longview, TX(Zone 8a)

Luckily I have a greenhouse so I can't protect it from the heat but from the blistering direct sun. YAY, it's pouring out right now...we're under a flood watch so I pray this isn't one of those teaser rains. Thank you Jesus for the rain!!!! TA, I'll put you down for some cuphea...they are easy to propagate, you can even layer them.

I also added 2 vines and I've got a ton of native aster oblongfolia (sp--no time to check it) I think it is I need to dig out about half of it.
Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.