Dallas RU and Plant Swap Have and Wants Oct 8th

Dallas, TX

TOBY ... if no one has taken it....I would like the waterfall maple we are building a cover for my courtyard it should do well in there. I had a list going here somewhere.

Sheila you cats are adorable and well behaved!

I cant find my list!

Hey guys my Monitor is not working half the time, so you might see too often. I have some access at work...but its not like at home.
Sylvia

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

What a nice welcome, thanks y'all.

Josephine - I will most gladly accept a Bird of Paradise.
Indirt -- I will certainly take you up on the Carolina Buckthorn.

DMJ1218 - Can I have some Pineapple Salvia and Mexican Oregano?

I have edited my original posting to (hopefully) indicate who gets what.

Carla in Rowlett

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Loonie--I don't have pineapple sage on my list--I don't think...I might can rustle you up some from a friend. Mexican oregano--no problem. I'm going to have to edit that later to include the species of pipevine I have, add another native pipevine, add native roving sailor vine as well as spurred butterfly pea (centrosema virginianum) but I need to count the plants I got and no time till Sunday to do so. Think I got some white winecups too--but have to count.

Hico, TX(Zone 8a)

dmj - I'd like a native pipevine! Do they grow in the Hill Country?

Dallas, TX

lambs Ears,

Peony, need to dig up ... maybe someone else can get it to bloom

Purple Ruellla

a Black Sambuca which I think will make a great door prize as I just bought it from Wayside Gardens a few months ago) ...

Mints,

lavendar,

Minerva Hibiscus ...

Acanthus Mollis (Bear's Britchs) which I need to dig up...in too much sun definitely a shade plant

more sedum (need the big pots for my Hostas)

Collossal Ajuga (shade)

Trumpet vine seeds

other seeds I need to list

Datura seeds

Anybody I promised a Hosta to please remind me who you are and I will start my Hosta list ... so far Mitch and Debbie tops the list, but I l know there is some one else ...

am still thinking and looking... I hope the sun dont destroy too much out there

Hico, TX(Zone 8a)

Actually, the drenching rain we got two days ago destroyed more of my plants than the sun. If it would just plain rain, my plants would like it, but it has to pour the whole cloud out of the sky at one time...

Frostweed - I am not sure I will be able to bring a desert 4 o clock - I should know in a few days if it is entirely dead. I clipped it back hopefully in time, but I don't know much about these guys. I think I might have some in the ground I can dig up - will have to verify on that this next week.

Indirt yes--will give more details tonite--gotta go to work--don't fret over your plants, they will probably be ok.

Sylvia--I would like a little bit of any sedum that's not Autumn Joy--I've decoded that's another plant collection I need--lol
Debbie

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Indirt, don't worry id the four o'clock didn't make it, it seems that between the brutal heat and the drenching rains ( in some places ) the plants are really taking a beating.
We just do the best we can.
Josephine.

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

I will take any sedums and/or succulents. I'm starting an area for them that is pretty big so eventually I need lots to cover it.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Sylvia,

I would give your acanthus mollis and some of your ajuga a good shady home. You and I talked in April about trading hostas this fall, but mine look really ratty from the hot, dry wind we've had non-stop for months. Some have just given up and gone away.

Look at my list (second posting on this thread) and see if I have anything that you could use.

Thanks,
Patricia

Hico, TX(Zone 8a)

I can get ya'll a 3-4' w/ 3/4" caliper Eves Necklace for $14. They are very slow growers.

I can get bigger ones, but they cost *considerably* more for 6' w/ 2" caliper and would be harder for me to bring.

Dallas, TX

Debbie you get the Lemon Lime and another little something I will throw in. :)

Pat you got it! ... that Acanthus is a beautiful thing when its full grown. I had three or four years. it grows like a weed, but the sun burn the huge leaves. It is invasivive. I dug it up to put in a shadier spot and it came right . its almost time for Ajuga to bloom and its the prettist blue you ever see. I got three type chocalate chip and collossal and something I cant remember. will bring you a piece of each. Pat, Hostas are going to look ratty from now to January. Thats why its important to know the name. Are your Hostas labled? ;) I got six varieties I am dividing, Stripetease, Ventricosa, So Sweet, Permanent Waves, Royal Standard, Gold Edge, Unduluta, Permanent Waves, Francee... gee that more than six! LOL
Pat I really suggest you and Debbie go to the Hostas Library to see the pics. I am at work now ....

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

Ooops, my mistake DMJ1218, I mistook your Pineapple Mint for Pineapple Sage. As usual, I was reading too fast. As Emily Litella used to say "Never mind." :-)

Carla

Carla, I might be able to root a cutting of pineapple salvia for you, I will try.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Indirt, thank you for checking in the Eve's nacklace trees. I just got some seeds, and I am going to give them a try, so I don't think I need it for right now.
Someone else might want one though, we shall see.
Josephine.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Sylvia, I had over 40 hostas labeled last year, but I know I have lost a lot of them. Several did not appear in the spring, and my dog finished off Night Before Christmas and maybe Patriot a few weeks ago. At least I have not been able so far to find any trace of the roots. I really loved both of those.

I'm the one who brought you Invincible and the infected Birchwood Parky's Gold in April. BPG is no longer around, of course. None of the others showed any sign of the virus, and I watched them carefully all spring. Of course, now there are few leaves left that are not damaged by the heat, but they can recover from that.

I'd love just a little piece of any of these: Striptease, Ventricosa, Permanent Wave, Undulata, or So Sweet. My Francee may have bitten the dust as well. I have Royal Standard and Gold Edger. I had pretty hostas until frost last year, but this year has felt hotter and windier.

If you see any on my list http://davesgarden.com/journal/j/vbc/patrob/31635/ let me know, and I'll see what shape they are in. Remember this list has not been updated since last fall.

Garland, TX

Hi All,

I'm new to this so please help me out. I would like to get involved in trading seeds and iris.
How do you quickly find someone to trade with? I need all the help I can get I just joined.

Thanks,

Becky

Hico, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Becky - welcome! The pic was a little fuzzy for me - are those zinnias? It sure looks like a prairie full!

Garland, TX

Hi indirt,

Thanks for the welcome. I sent you a Dmail. Where exactly is Hico, TX? If you would like any zinnia seeds please let me know. I have giants, lilliputs, cactus, mini pom poms, etc. They are great once you get them going they do the rest the picture is of this years volunteer crop. I have them all over the place. My neighbors have really enjoyed them.

Hico, TX(Zone 8a)

Hico is SE of Stephenville down hwy 281 S of I20, W of FW

I am sure the birds like your zinnias and you must have lots of butterfly visitors while they are in bloom! The pollinators and the seed spreaders!

Dallas, TX

Becky how do you get Zinnias to come back in the same spot every year? I dont care how many seeds I sow, they will not grow. Someone had an explanation for it but I forgot.

Hi Iris--I have a large collection of Louisiana Iris (probably 50+ now) and regularly trade them; as well as lots of seeds of all kinds of plants. Just dmail me anytime. The Iris forum is a good place to visit also. Trading going on over there now--as its the best time of year to do so.
Debbie

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome Iris,
Since you are in Garland please make the swap that this tread is all about. You will quickly feel like one of the DG family after that. Here is the original thread that Mitch started with more info. Don't forget to mark this one to watch also.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/603077/ When, where, and how they got there.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/628687/ food and help list

This message was edited Aug 12, 2006 7:24 AM

GreatI!!! a new person! Welcome Becky, we hope to see you at the swap.
Josephine.

Hico is where you turn left if you want to go south 281 to San Antonio from Ft Worth by way of Tolar.

*giggle only reason I know is I have driven that road at least a doz times.

Hico, TX(Zone 8a)

Some people mispronounce it "hick-o" instead of "hi-co"

That gas station across from the Koffee Kup has good chicken and cheese flautas. They taste better than they look!

well I will have to remember that for next time I come through.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Does Hico have a Sonic? I remember coming north on 281 from a trip to the Hill Country and going through a quaint little town where we exited 281. This was about 5 years ago, but it seems like I remember there being a Sonic or other fast food place.

Hico, TX(Zone 8a)

I've not seen it, but we just moved to the area.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Well finally I can list a few things. Been unsure what I would have left with all this heat.

I will have rooted:

5 Elephant Ears
3 Yellow Katachiscum Sedum
Loads of Purple Heart
3 ‘May Night’ starts
4 O'Clocks
Loads of Shasta Daisy plants
3 Mother-in-law’s Tongue
12 Ash trees ( most 12”-16” tall)

Trying to root:

Trailing Lavender Lantana
Trailing Yellow Lantana
Lantana (yellow and orange mix)
“Silky Gold” Milkweed
Rose of Sharon (white, white w/ maroon center, & purple w/ maroon center)
mints, choc., Hillary's swt. lemon, one unknown.

Pond or bog items:
(in small starts, won't bring unless someone wants)

2 Pickerel Weed
2 Dwarf Papyrus ‘Nanus’
2 Golden Variegated Sweet Flag ‘Ogon’
2 Horsetail Souring Rush
Yellow Flag Iris

My Wants:

Coneflower any colors
Cosmos
Larkspur seed (White and Pink)
Standing Cypress flower seed
Bugleweed –Ajuga
Mexican Flame vine
Cat’s Whiskers
Carolina Phlox
Stonecrop ‘Dragon’s Blood’

Put aside these for:

Frostweed - Agava

Renatelynne – Pencil Tree

Debbie –Yellow Sedum, Shastas, Milkweed

Pat – Hillary’s Lemon Mint, Milkweed plant *& seeds
2 elephant ears, May night salvia

Ted – Milkweed, Mexican Petunia (and anything else he wants)

Loonie – Shasta, Rose of Sharons,

Sylvia - May Night

pxtxlady - May Night, Obedient plant

This message was edited Aug 20, 2006 10:50 PM

Sheila--the sedum (1), a few shastas (so I don't have to start any--lol), and the milkweed please? I've got cosmos (do you want me to start plants or do you want seeds--either is fine with me) and standing cypress seeds for sure. Probably have the larkspur seeds or some of them, too. My seed box is a mess I will sort it out soon. I need to check the colors, have a bunch of them.
Debbie

I need to read back through this thread and make sure I've got stuff sorted out.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Sheila, I would love to have a start of your Hillary's sweet lemon mint and a couple of your milkweed starts or even some seeds. The milkweed would be a perfect addition to my front island deer-proof garden that has mostly blues and purples right now. Please check my list (2nd posting on this thread) to see if I have any plants you can use.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

I have just added Mexican mint marigold (Tagetes lucida) to my "have" list as I have discovered quite a few seedlings that are growing well and not minding the heat. They managed to sprout and grow through a good layer of cypress mulch! I first saw this plant at the Antique Rose Emporium growing with lavender mums and orange tithonia. It is tough, evergreen, and a pretty fall bloomer. It's a native, but from Mexico to Guatemala.

Sheila I have a Cat's whiskers plant that I got from mary last year, I will try to root one for you, although right now with this heat, it is not easy, but i will try.
Josephine.

They root real easy Josephine--you should have no problem with cat's whisker's even in the heat. They are in the mint family.

Good deal, I will try it then.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I am going to try to catch up to the rest of you with what I would like from your lists. Please look at mine again and see what I can set aside for each of you.

Ted - If you have these still available, I would love to have:
Diablo, Boutique Fetish, Inky Fingers, Saturn, Wild Lime Coleus, and Striped Beauty Canna.
Also do you have any Red Castor Bean seeds this year?

Greenie - I would love to have these from your list, please let me know what you would like.
Cuphea, Catmint, & Lady in Red Salvia

Debbie - Looking forward to seeing you. If you have these, please set aside for me:
Hyssop, skullcap, angelonia (both), and Standing Cypress Seeds

Mitch - Cat's Whiskers....Also, I have the orchid Obedient plant if you want some of it?

Josephine - Cat"s Whiskers (no hurry to root), Pineapple Salvia, Salvia Elegante, Phlox, and Blue Mist.

Patrob - Can you set aside these for me, and check my list for your wants:
Pink Obedient Plant, Big Red Sage Penstemonsides, Black & Blue Salvia and
Mary Frances & Michigan Pride Irises.

PBTXLADY - I can't locate your list now, but I had written down to ask you for:
Pink Cosmos, Lemon Bacopa, Dragon's Blood Sedum, and Cerels Yarrow.

Again everyone.....please check my list and see what I can set aside for you.
Sheila

Longview, TX(Zone 8a)

Sheila, you'll be happy to know the cuphea are rooting beautifully (thanks to Josephine). I'm about to start the rest. I'll take a look at your list and let you know.

Longview, TX(Zone 8a)

I'll take some milkweed...isn't that supposed to be good for butterflies to eat and lay eggs on?

Longview, TX(Zone 8a)

And the hubster would like some ash. =)

Hico, TX(Zone 8a)

Butterfly weed (Asclepias spp.) is good for monarchs and a moth or two for host plant. It is an awesome nectar plant, as well. It will draw all kinds of butterflies w/ nectar.

Most varieties grow very nicely in a clump shooting out roots now and then that are easily pulled. Then, when they go to seed, it is nice to deadhead before they mature if you live in urban areas or if your variety of milkweed is not native to the area (note the "weed" part of the name).

You will most likely get monarchs the first spring they are in the ground. They can find the plant w/o blooms and only 5" out of the ground to lay their eggs. By the time the eggs hatch two weeks later, the plant will be nearly full height.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.