My first dahlias...ever!!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone. I purchased about 4 dozen different dahlias this Spring and now it's time to show them off! I didn't know if I wanted to grow them at first, but now that I've seen the blooms I'm definitely hooked!

This first one is Touche`

Thumbnail by flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Next is a small, dark leaved dahlia called SUNSHINE. I'm really liking how the dark foliage offsets the colors in the flowers.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

This one is another short, small flowered one called AUTUMN FAIRY.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Last one for today is a common one called DUET. I can see why so many people grow this one. It's really striking...and the blooms are very large! This one is almost 9 inches accross.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I'll add more pictures as they bloom. Thanks for letting me share! :0)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Very nice FF, I had bought Autumn Fairy on sale and it didn't make it.

And you didn't know you wanted them ;)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

It's always nice to find something you never knew you "had to grow"! LOL!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Flowerfrenzy I well remember your crazed splurges earlier this year and, oh, how they are paying off! Beautiful flowers. Ooh and Ahhh. I like the purply foliage on Sunshine too.

I think you've found yourself a new hobby.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Great, another dahlia addict! Just what we need around here, LOL
Those dahlias look good. I have several of those that have dark foliage and they are interesting. One has some pretty purple flowers and the dark foliage set those blooms off real nice.
You are just starting out. Watch out!!! Hang onto your pocket book! You will want more and more.....
Carol

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

FLOW,
GREAT job for a first timer!!! Love those!! I hope mine look HALF as good as yours.

Best wishes;
bluelytes

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks everyone. I already have a serious iris addiction...but it's always fun to find one more! LOL! :0)

Laura

Delhi, IA

Welcome to blooming dahlias ff. Someone else to show off their blossoms is always welcome. Thanks for sharing and give us more as they develop. Jean

Aptos, CA

Beautiful blooms...I really like Touche!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's a couple more in full bloom today. This first one is AITARA DIADEM.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I love ARABIAN NIGHT!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That Aitara is really sharp!

Arabian is always nice.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

I'm really enjoying Aitara Diadem. The flower is a miniature, but it's very striking.

Aptos, CA

Oh I Love Aitara Diadem!!! I am hoping to get blooms from it this year!

Delhi, IA

Flowerfrenzy, loooooove Ailara Diadem!!!! Anything with two hues!!!!And Touche. such a beauty. Send us more to enjoy. Jean

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I came back for another looksee LOL- Sunshine looks just like the pale colors of early dawn and Autumn Fairy like a papery water color in a rich orange. I really like each and every dahlia I ever see! No wonder I can get lost for hours in a garden.
Very nice Laura!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's a few more for today.

This first one is AITARA DIADEM, fully opened.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

This one is super cute at only about 1 1/2" across.

HELEN'S LITTLE BOY

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

A top view of JESSICA

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

A side view of JESSICA.

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

I like Jessica, it reminds me of My Beverly. You have some beauties, thanks for sharing!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

A few more for today.

Here is SUNSHINE in full bloom.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

An unusual collarette type called APPLEBLOSSOM.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Last, a tiny pompon type called MIDNIGHT.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

More tomorrow! :0)

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Sunshine is so cute! Riddled with blooms. I like the pompons too, a lot of people don't. Midnight is a nice color.

At the National Dahlia show in Seattle a couple summers ago there was an entire two- tiered display of pompons in every color possible. They are so tiny compared to their huge dahlia cousins.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I like that Apple Blossom a lot, and I'd like a closer look at the Sunshine. Maybe tomorrow?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the compliments, Pooch. I like the pompons too. Even though the flowers aren't as spectacular as the larger ones, they have their place in bouquets. Plus, they're just so darn cute!

nap~

There's a close-up picture of SUNSHINE near the top of this thread.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

That 'Sunshine' is so pretty with its dark folage.
You are so right about pompom, flowerfrenzy, they are great in bouquets!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

So I see now! Thanks.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Flowerfrenzy, it will be so easy to always find one more. You have some gorgeous first ones, might I recommend a trip to Swan Island? Being in Vancouver you are only about 45 minutes north of them. Some of us met there last year; Carol(daisyruffles) shall we go again but it wouldn't have to be connected with the show.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Lenjo~

I've visited Swan Island Dahlias almost every year for the past 6 years, so I know them well.

If anyone else is going, we should decide on a date and all meet up. That would be fun.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I go every year at least once. So anastasia is from Vancouver too and I have met her several different times. I am hoping to meet Jamie at the Heirloom Rose half off sale which is probably 30 minutes from Swan Island.The Heirloom sale is the first weekend of August.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

You guys, just let me know when you want to go!!!
I am gamed.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's a few more for today.

MARY'S JOMANDA

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

SNOWBOUND

This bloom is huge~probably about 10" across.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.