HELP! new to Morning Glories. What is my Problem PLZ

Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

I am desperate. I cant find my problem. Wondering if I have more than one problem or not. Can anyone help me before Loose these beautiful plants. They started out like wild things. I have had one Beatiful Bloom that lasted 2 days. Now I notice all these yellowing and brown dyeing leaves. This has happened in 2 days. But the top are still growing strong and wild. I have a couple more pictures if you need to see them. Thank you Thank you

Thumbnail by rwmedic
Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is another photo of the leaves

Thumbnail by rwmedic
Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is a photo of the entire area.

Thumbnail by rwmedic
Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Not that it will help you any, but mine are doing the same thing. Maybe we can get some advice from someone. I figured it was the hot weather, but don't really know.

Susan
=^..^=

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

rwmedic - Although I do see alittle cutter leaf miner damage on one of the leaves on the left in the photo here
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=2513730

It doesn't appear that cutter leaf damage is either significant or the main problem here...

The leaves can yellow for a few main reasons

1) too little or too much sunlight

2) water loss(contributing to metabolic/cellular damage per se and predisposing to sunlight induced damage) or other nutrient deprivation...these plants will often remove nutrients from older growth and transport these vital nutrients to the newer growth,where the most active tissue growth expansion is taking place...

My impression is that your leaf yellowing is most likely water or nitrogen related...but there is a catch-22 involved here because if the plants have not yet flowered,watering the plants more and/or providing nitrogen may

contribute to further delayed flowering...but if the plants were mine,I would water them more(at night after sundown) and provide a fertilizer with high bioavailability with a relatively low NPK ratio>like fish emulsion...and possibly a phoesphorus based bloom booster...

The reasoning for the above approach is that the low level fish emulsion and phosphorus fertilizer is more likely to help,than to hurt and the extra watering will help the fertilizer to be absorbed/metabolized properly...

Alternatively you can just let the plants remain as they are and hope for the best...

The choice is yours...

TTY,...

Ron

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

do you think someone might of sprayed them with a pesticide maybe?? my morning glories last year got sprayed with round up by accident and it caused them to yellow then turn brown.

Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank You Imzadi. I am possative that it is not a pesticide. I have not sprayed around these guys and my neighbor on that side absolutely loves all my new gardens this year, and there is 2 driveways between where she might spay and these beauties. I am going to try the nitrogen as Ron suggested. However we did get 2 days of heavy rain which one was a big flooding down poor. So just maybe too much water. Because it was the 2 days after this that the plant started suffering.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

rwmedic - The flooding rains (after a long dry period) may sometimes initiate certain rust-like and/or mildew-like infections and the older leaves may be more susceptible to these types of decay,but the rain may also have just stimulated the newer growth with concommitant withdrawal of nutrients from the older leaves....

Let's see how they continue to respond...

TTY,...

Ron

Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

Ron

I used Miracle Grow for all plants with a high nitrates and Bingo I think it helped. They look much better today. If you see anything else please dont hesitate to tell me.

Thumbnail by rwmedic
Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

The only lonely bloom I had was so beautiful I cant wait for more. I was so busy I didnt even get its picture. My 5 year old granddaughter is the one who found it and said "MaMa, PaPa look a flower look, look look. She rides her bike around and around the patio and she was so amazed of her findings.. God bless the child I would have missed it. It was slightly hidden by leaves.

I will however get the picture of its next beauty.

Thank again so much Ron

Becky

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Hi Becky,

The plants do look like there is more green energy producing chlorophyll in the active leaves...

When any of the leaves have become completely dried up/crumbly brown and are permanently out of action...I simply remove them and add them to the compost bin...

Hope you get to see some more flowers before long...in the interim,you have your everblooming grandchild flowering(!) for ya'...

TTY,...

Ron

Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

Ron you are so right she is my morning glory for ever, beings she was born early in the morning on my husbands b=day. Always blooms no matter what. And or so pretty. She is my only right now. And may always be my only. We are so close. She spends every thursday with me. She calls it here stay all night with MaMa day. And I never miss that day no matter what.

Thank you for you comment. Here is here Picture, caught in the bird bath fountain that she is not supose to be in.. But oh to cute had to Kodac moment it instead of scolding. Playing with left over easter eggs that she found in the garage. She was so proud when she was done.
Taken 7-21-06

Thumbnail by rwmedic
Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

(!!)...long flaxen hair and face like a 'goddess'...(!)

Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is todays Picture

Looks much healthier to me.

Thank you ever so much

Beck

Thumbnail by rwmedic

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.