Coleus Chatters July 21-25

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hey Hap.....so sorry! I thought about it this morning and just didn't do it!

Con't from here http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/627077/#new

Thumbnail by Brinda
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Is it HOT at your house????????????

I wish I could stay and play but I'm out the door to take my youngest to his grandparents. They have a big fishing trip planned and he is thrilled. And he's quite the fisherman and hunter. He lives & breathes all of it.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

very hot here brin....hope he catches (and throws back ) ALOT!!!!!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

OR EATS alot. Where are they fishing this week? We used to fish in Ok.
Well I have been busy this afternoon. Went to Jeremy's and got a dozen more to take, like I didn't think my 120+ would be enough. I still have to pack the car. Dayne is empting it for me now. I sure am glad he's here.
I am just crazy right now. Be back later. Have to see if we're tying Budgielover to the hood for the ride home tomorrow. LOL
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

120 plants??...who is budgielover.....

Budgielover is a florida gardener named Jan. I'm going down early tonight.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

have fun!!!

Pardon me, I'm going to try to get to sleep early is more precisely what I meant!!!
Early rise, pack the van and ride.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

get lotsa stuff!!!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Sidney, I hope you have a blast! And goodness....it sure sounds like you're taking lots of goodies! Slow down and don't work so hard! And have a blast!!!!

Joni, normally he does the catch & release, but this year it's been different. His grandfather has three farms and all of them have very nice ponds on them. And there are some huge catfish in them. Last year his GF stocked the ponds with more fish....so now if he catches the big ones....they don't get thrown back. And they have plenty to eat. He has caught two sizable fish so far....both channel catfish the first was 12lb 8oz 31" long and the second was 13lb and 32" long. He is having a blast this year....and growing up too fast for me. Here is his last catch!

Well, this is my first ever collage! LOL Wooohooo....now tell me how to make one with it just showing the two pics I've chosen?

Thumbnail by Brinda
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That's some fish, Brinda. I love catfish.....pan fried, lots of butter. YUM

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

quick good morning to all!!

i'm getting a late start this morning! but i needed the rest!

brinda....the pic with you and the fish is my favorite pic to date! i just love the look on your face....it's so cute! it's so nice to see women fish. my daughter comes home from work, puts down her brief case, takes off her suit and is off to her favorite fishing pole nearly every single day! her father is thrilled about it and thinks back to when she didn't want to touch the worm...apparently those days are certainly over.

sidney...when's the swap??

gg and sticks both of you are sure getting it about the cuttings. sidney appears to me to be the master cutting queen of them all!! in my minds eye i always picture sidney with a little shovel and plastics bags in her purse where ever she goes.

sticks...the window is a door. this is a picture of one...but the one i'm using is far older even though this one is old. and NO i didn't see that pic of your lamp! please find it, i'd love to see it.

well, i'm off to start an extremely busy busy day. everyone have a great day!

ps...hope this doesn't come thru twice....the site is moody this morning...must need some more coffee??

Thumbnail by tobee43
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

tobeeeeeeeee????? That isn't me! I wouldn't touch a worm or a minnow...and certainly NOT a fish! Eeeewwwww.....makes me shiver just thinking about it! That is my youngest son and his prize catch!!!LOL

Hey tobee.....can you enlarge the pic of the door?

Oh...and Sidney's swap is today.

Now....I gotta get some more coffee to rinse this fish taste out of my mouth! LOL

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

brinda...nope, i can't get it any bigger cuz it's not my pic. i copied it off a site just to give an example of a french door since i guess it was confusing about a window or a door. so i suppose it's easier to just say a french door is a window with glass panes and wood with a door handle on it. the one i'm using has a really old brass door knob.

ahhhhhhh...that's not you with the fish! hehehehe....i really thought it was. you couldn't see much of who is was with the gear and the hat.

hope sidney brings home tons of cool stuff from dale. i'm sure she'll have fun...wish we all were there. rather being doing that instead of working...which i'm being so lazy this morning. i do believe it is all catching up with me!

(Zone 9a)

Where is everyone? It's raining, raining, raining so I'm stuck inside so far today. We did get the mulch down yesterday, so I'm ready to plant on one side now. However, the rain has revealed that even though we tilled and amended the soil below the retaining wall it's not helping to absorb the run off from the retaining wall. The "top soil" we bought last year to fill behind the wall is clay. I'm really miffed about this soil. We got 20 tons of fill dirt...although it was screened. It refuses to absorb rain, and my plants are NOT growing in it. I don't know what I'm going to do w/ it now, got 20 tons of it to deal with. Grrr. So, now I have gross orange little "rivers" running through my new dark brown mulch. Loverly. Any ideas?

Other than that it looks teriffic! Yesterday we got the mulch and some stones for a small waterfall Mark is going to put in for me. About 300# of big rocks, LOL. I can't believe we are buying rocks, I have a whole backyard full of them, but they aren't pretty.

Love the fish pic! That thing is HUGE. I love to go fishing, but hate messing w/ the wormies.

Joni, thanks for the expalantion of overwintering the Coleus cuttings. Now I get it and think I can give it a try. I don't know that I'll do it on the scale you are going to, I don't have the room. I already have too many things to bring in to overwinter...and am running out of room. I know that when winter comes this year I'm going to have to cut back on what I planned to bring in. I think it's going to end up favorites only. =^(

Ok, I should go and try to get something done....even if it's the dreaded house cleaning. My sis delayed her trip from TX, now she's coming on the 28th.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

brin that would be sum good eattin....that is a huge one!!!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

brin...up at the crack of dawn too...

tobee...don't have a pic of the lamp....but its concept and followthru won us a first....just an old floor lamp and filling the glass 1/2globe with florals....or greenery...made a gorgeous statement

to all: this is day 2 of trying to be a morning person...i was out in my yard at 7....stayed out till 11:00 and then went and took a nap....was very hard ....but i did it and my dogs were happy, my plants were happy and i was fairly happy....wish me luck!!!!

got alot planted, transplanted and redone....now i have like 5 flats left to do something with....

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

health...i wish we had rain here....to no avail...get lottsa inside stuff done and ready to get back out there....

as for the soil...i have no clue...and i wonder what makes it water repellant...maybe the rain will make it more like real soil?? you think??

(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the sweet thoughts Joni, but it's clay. No one seemed to believe ME when I said it, but finally someone in the Soil & Composting forum confirmed it...so at least I'm not alone now. It's a mess, but they are helping me out over there. I'm taking pics every 30 minutes to post so they know what to tell me to do. LOL! But, at least it will get fixed the right way and I won't have to deal with this over and over again.

Here's a pic of the mulch we laid last night and what this morning's rain did to it. I'm not a happy-1 either. lol

edited to say....ignore my spring sowing containers that are laying all over the place & look like garbage! They were placed there because I was getting ready to plant them, they were waiting on the new dirt to come, which never came...I should be thankful...I'd just have more of a swamp in my whole yard then. I'm going to have to dig out everything that's planted in the clay behind the wall before anything gets fixed, but that's ok, because it wasn't growing anyway.

This message was edited Jul 22, 2006 4:17 PM

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh Heather, we have clay here also. That rock hard red Oklahoma clay! I think they use it to make pottery! LOL

(Zone 9a)

I hear you Brin. But did you pay someone to dump it in your yard and to tell you it was TOPsoil??? LOL

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

heather...i hope those soil people will help...good luck...; yalls hard work will eventually pay off!!!

(Zone 9a)

This retaining wall is 60' long and 8-10' from front to back in different places. It's big and makes a lot of run off because nothing soaks into it.

(Zone 9a)

You're right Joni. I'm just glad that we discovered the mess before I had it all planted how I wanted it...and called it "done." Then I would have been really upset. At least this way I don't feel like I'm destroying a planned design....the plants were just kinda thrown in last fall.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

them soil people will get you fixed up so you can fix up!!!...hopefully it is an easy fix!!!

Here's me and Dale. I look pitiful, but I'll let my buddies see me this way. And I got purple Oxalis, an absolutely fantastic caladium, and at least 5 coleus I didn't have before. (A couple more after he left, that just jumped over to my pile and said they needed me!)
I was going to stay In lakeland tonight, but decided Henry couldn't sleep well without me, so I drove on back.
The food and fun were great. I also met mother Nature, Audrey and we swapped Copper leafs and coleus too.
A lavender Lace from her.
I bet soozer will be hanging over here soon. I sent her and Floyd home with about 50.
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Here is Audrey and me. I still look shabby!

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

we missed you sid!!!!

Thanks, I'll take pictures of my haul tomorrow. I got so many goodies.
I took a bath and got in bed. Gonna go sramble some eggs and make toast cause I am toast. I took so much that If Dale hadn't helped me I would have been til noon unloading it. He is super in my book.
I nearly had a sun stroke and am in bed already.
Sidney

This message was edited Jul 22, 2006 10:19 PM

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sounds like a great day for sure....take photos for us and we will see you in the morn....:)

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

good morning all!!!!

sidney what fun!! and in my book you look absolutely beautiful!
before you plant make sure you take a pic so we can see the new ones that you got. also....i have to take a picture of one that i have...i'm puzzled and can't figure it out. i have never seen it before and it came from a dark star but is now bronze with like a abalone shell shine to it?????? maybe you can figure it out, because i certainly cannot???

heather...i hear on the rain. we had about 3 inches yesterday and it was so muggy you could cut the air with a knife! we had sometime in the morning before it started the downpours, but once they started in continued all night. this morning is much cooler and less humid, which i'm sure your most likely getting as well. it should be a better day for outside...i hope.

the problem with the fill, is most likely it has absolutely NO organic matter in it. using fill to start with soil amending is a really difficult task. since the fill has no available nutrients. that portion of soil lacks any essential nutrients or compounds that can be absorbed readily and assimilated by growing plants. fill has no capillary action which is what attracts water droplets to the walls of micropores (small pore spaces) that allows the water to move against the force of gravity (in other words, move up and sideways) in the soil through inert materials. basically the soil lacks any structure or for that matter texture.

personally, if someone told me they sold me top soil that means it has a percentage of organic matter. standard is approx 5-6%. sounds like you got 0%.it's really not an easy task to change. and heather you DO indeed have clay in PA. clay itself it's texture and behavior while annoying feels sticky, water storage is high, permeability is low, spring temp very cold and ease of tillage is about as heavy as a ton of steel...on the other hand it's high in water storage and very high in nutrient storage. much easier to amend the parent soil by adding compost. the best thing for you to do at this point is this: call your county extension and ask them for a soil testing kit. it usually cost about 15 dollars to get it analyzed. they will explain to you how to take the samples. and if you really want to get this company for ripping you off i would take a sample of the fill itself and get the results, bring to them and ask for your money back! this is a good time of the year to test since the best time to amend is the fall NOT the spring which so many people do. that way any nutrients that you add will be broken down properly by next spring.

i have clay on my entire property and it has taken me 30 years to amend the darn stuff. i started simple with just peat in the beds closes to the house. we did that for over 20 years ...so it was like having a compost pile settling within the soil. make sure if you have a compost pile that your carbon/nitrogen ratios are correct. when the C/N ratios are greater than 30:1, microbial actions tends to be slow (sometimes barely detectable). when the C/N ratio is lower than 30:1, the material may become smelly, water-logged and anaerobric (lacking oxygen).

just to give you an idea of the ratios

blood meal...3:1
leaves 60:1
cardboard 400:1
coffee grounds 25:1

now that you got your morning lecture on soil....hehehehe...i'm sure you get the idea. also, if you still have problems planting and growing in the clay...let me know i know a few short cuts to help you out to speed up the process. once you are able to establish a plant in clay it will do well because of it's ability to retain nutrients. i also want to stress sometime to you...if you have a swampy area...go with it not against it. you are able to utilize that portion of your property with very cool cultivars that can only be grown in swamp or wet. i have an area such as this and i would not consider amending it because it's great to be able to have such variety in your garden structure.

i just needed to add (edited). it's almost impossible to change a drainage problem without major constuction, and even then who knows what the future brings...that's why it's best to work with it. with proper plant typing you can absorb some of the water naturally. what happens when you throw soil on wet areas is it will just get washed away. in it's stead deveop the area with plant material that is suitable ...;)

This message was edited Jul 23, 2006 8:30 AM

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

GOOD Morning everyone! What a beautiful day it is here today!!!

Oh Heather, I'm sorry for all your problems. I know you must be ready to pull your hair out. But tobee has so much great information. I really need to copy all that info for myself when I get ready to add another bed.

Sidney, WOW girlfriend! It sounds like you had a blast! I just love LOVE your pics! Share some more with us! And I too think you're beautiful!!! Hi Dale!!! Nice to see you too.....what is the new caladium Sidney?

Well, I don't know what happened to me yesterday but I was the biggest, fattest and the laziest person on the face of the earth! LOL I got up around 5:30 and went out and Messengered everything and then I don't know what happened. LOL I think the Messenger is the only thing I accomplished all day. I piddled around here and there and then came in and took a nap from noon until 3:00.....then DH and I went out to eat and when I came home I laid down on the bed around 7:30 and didn't know a thing until 6:00 this morning! LOL Now is that lazy or what? But it sure felt good!

Sidney? What did you say about sun stroke??? Were you serious??? You better watch yourself and slow down a bit.....that can be so serious! Take care of S-i-d-n-e-y!!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

HiYa......

Sidney, so glad you had a great time. Please tell us all who you met and what you got.

tobee, that's some story about soil. I glad that I did not read all that before I planted here or I think that I would have been to scared to start LOL

OOPS, DH is ready to out for breakfast. Can't keep him waiting....

Hap

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hap....you're being paged over here

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/629553/

I have lived in sand and I have lived in clay, and I'll take sand any day!
I just couldn't believe how many people turned up their noses at coleus yesterday.
The NERVE!! LOL
Soozer and DH however were won over, so I didn't have to lug 5 trays home. All did like my flumes however.
I am still propped in bed on recovery.
Yes, I did get the weak gonna throw up and wet my britches pre-heat-stroke feel yesterday. Started out with hat and shed that for the sweat it was causeing. I got myself seated in some shade.
Of course I prefer great pictures of me, but you get what you get and anyhow I appreciate yall love me like I am.
I'll get up now and get tp work.
I love you folks.
Sidney

(Zone 9a)

Yes Sid, be careful. That's nothing to mess with.

Thanks for all the help w/ the wall & clay Tobee. We are going to dig, by hand. We're going to remove about 2' of clay from the top, then remove 1/3 of the clay from right behind the wall. Stones and a french drain will be put right behind the wall, then all removed clay will be replaced with real topsoil...once I find someone who has it and can deliver it. The french drain will carry the water to a collection area...which remains to be agreed upon, LOL. Poor Mark, like he hasn't done enough hard labor lately. First thing first though, and that is to get the plants out of there. I think I'm just going to move some of them permanently into the bed out front that was just finished.

As far as getting the soil tested and getting my money back. That is a nice thought, but it's not going to happen. Mr. Clay, who brought us his idea of topsoil, has a Mama Clay who lives 2 doors down. Yepper, his Mom is my neighbor. She's constantly checking on my yard, along w/ another neighbor lady who have nothing better to do than gossip and tell me how much work I have to do. Maybe next time I should tell her that I'd have less work to do if her son would have brought me the soil I paid for! But, I won't...I'll smile and bite my tongue and go fix the problems in their yards...or clean their gutters for them. Sheesh.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

It would be difficult for me to hold my tongue Heather! LOL DH says the that I'm so busy yappin that the only time I'm still is when I'm sticking the other foot in my mouth! LOL But you're handling it the right way! Bless You! (And Mark too)

Sidney....I'm tellin ya girl, you best be careful today and many days to come. I don't know the death toll here in Oklahoma due to the heat, but it's quite a bit. If you're going out, stay in the shade and make sure you drink plenty of water. We love you and want you around here from now on! Ya hear???

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

BTW??? What's wrong with those people not wanting coleus? Ha...they don't know what they're missin!!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Heather,

How did you get elected as the gutter cleaner? To people that are not even that nice, from what I gather.

Brinda, thanks for the page. I wrote her this am and hope that she will come over. In the mail I offered her cuttings and I hope she will.

Sugar, you must take care of yourself, there, missy. Then, feeling as you did, you drove HOW many hours back home? That's dangerous. Shame, shame.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Miss that "NO COLEUS FOR ME" comment. Whada they crazy. We'll have to put a whammy on their gardens so coleus will be the only thing that grows. ROTFL

Hap

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.