Thumbnail by got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

Next is Gonso Grape.

Thumbnail by got2Bgreen

Blackberry Ripple

Thumbnail by got2Bgreen
Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Very nice! I love BLACKBERRY RIPPLE. I'm so envious because I keep seeing pictures of it and my plant only made it to 2" above ground!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Cheryl,
Can't wait for my 'Arabian Night' to bloom! It has a very long ways to go from like 8". LOL
It is 'Gonzo Grape'. Just for your information. Isn't the color of that one so nice???
Looks good.
Carol

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Very Pretty,Cheryl. I am going to have to mootch a Blackberry Ripple from someone ; don't you think a marionberry farmer's wife needs a blackberry ripple? LOL

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Nice, Cheryl. I love BB Ripple or '85 Ripple as Dr. Don says LOL. Lenjo, I have two plants so will doubtless have a tuber for you.

How big is Gonzo Grape across? I love that color.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

My Gonzo Grape is a deep purple, Annie.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Deep purple would work for me! How big is it? I can look it up, but I like to hear the voice of personal experience too.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

My 'Gonzo Grape' is like 4' tall. Not real wide, more or less staight up and down. Haven't staked it up for 3 years either. But it gets some shade so...........
But I do love the dark purple color.

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Blackberry ripple is a wonderful plant, thanks Annie. I have picked 2 fowers, there's one fully opened on the plant and 6 more buds. Can't ask for much more than that. Yes, Lenjo there should be an extra one at my house also.

I have a bunch of blackberry ripple here, don't know how that happened but I do.

Gonso gonzo, potaaaato po toto, HA! Sorry - just a typo.

For some reason none of my dahlias are over 3 feet tall yet, even the ones that are supposed to be. I did get a lot of them in pretty late and those are still very short. Some haven't even broke ground yet so to speak. Gonzo grape is probably the tallest one I have and it is only about 3 feet tall. I planted a Summers End at the same time I planted Gonzo and it is only about 2 inches tall.

Weird...

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

They look good.
I lost my Arabian Night, Blackberry Ripple looks nice.

Marysville, WA

got2Bgreen,
Please add ME to the mooch list for blackberry ripple, :)

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Annie, the Gonzo Grape bloom is about 3 to 4 inches across, about the same size as your Jomanda.

So, I was poking around my dahlias again today and thought that Red Pigmy was a no-show, so I dug it up. All of the tubers were rotten but the old stalk had several sprouts coming off of it. What should I do with it?

This message was edited Jul 25, 2006 12:53 AM

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Got 2 b- after weeks of denial I finally dug up one of my favorites from last year, Hillcrest Kismet pictured below because I'll never see it this year LOL. It was 3 inches tall, maybe spurred on to 4 inches in this recent heat. Meanwhile, its neighbors are all 3 ft+ and I knew there was trouble.

Sure enough the whole tuber was rotten right up to the green shoot. Not a root to be found. I took a cutting and it is now in my kitchen window in a cup of sand with rooting hormone on the cut. I'm keeping it warm ( no choice!) and moist. At best I can plant it out in a few weeks and hope for a tuber.

You should at least try the same with your rotten tubered stalk. You don't say how long the shoots are, but you can read around the web and decide how to try to take a cutting.

Thumbnail by Poochella

They are just little nubbin's - mostly just a really big eye, but no tubers.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Nubbins...... Nubbins can live! is there any part of any tuber that is still firm and connected to the nubbins? I'd cut off the rotten part until you see nice white tissue like a potato. (Pototto LOL.)

Let it dry to touch, dust it with fungicide if you care to, and plant it shallowly. Those plants want to live. You may not get a huge plant or even flowers, but if anything goes on to survive it will form tubers for next season. My two cents, adjusted for inflation, worth about $.0005

Pooch - funny cuz that's what I was thinking of doing. I've got it sitting on the potting bench drying now. I'll pot it up in the morning. Like you said - very shallowly.

Poochella - reading your post again....did you dig around the ones that are pokey about growing? Cuz I have a few that are very pokey, like only a inch tall when others planted with them are over 2 feet tall. Should I dig these up?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Lenjo: many thanks for telling me how large the bloom on Gonzo Grape is. That's what I was after although it's good to know height too.

Got2 Be--Yes I would dig them up. Anything that slow is in trouble of some sort. Rotting tuber likely cause number one. Some are so much slower than their neighboring dahlias, I dig them up and they look and feel fine. Could be internal rot not quite destroying the tuber yet. Some I dig up and they haven't developed so much as one little root to sustain the plant even though the tuber seems fine. I don't know why. I call them bad names and replant them.

Just dig those questionable ones up carefully, give them plenty of room when using your shovel and try not to disturb the tender roots which might have developed, usually, but not always at the far end of the tuber. See what you find!

"....call them bad names and replant them....." HA, HA HA!

That cracks me up!

Maybe I'll try digging up Chimicum Topaz - he seems to be the slowest of the first ones I planted. I'll let you know what I find.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Oh Chimcaum Topaz? You can't kill that one, no matter what name you call it! It's so tough, it would survive nuclear mayhem, I'm certain. If you got the tubers from Mendy, I might have sent her some skinny ones of Chim. Topaz. Those skinnies are prone to rot, so you might have your claim to fame ( in my book) that you actually did manage to kill one.

I went to get more compost the other day and noticed bright green foliage about where I was to dig in the pile. I had tossed some rotting tubers there a long time before and here was a dahlia growing, straining for light from the shaded compost pile. It is now planted, straggly, but coming along. I'll bet you 50 cents that is it a Chimcacum Topaz. .

I'll be curious to see what you find and if you need about ten more of that one next year, just Dmail me.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Great pics, sis!

Yep, Annie, I ended up having to give the extras you sent me to Cheryl. I am out of room for dahlias. I hate to say this on the dahlia forum.....and please no one throw rotten tomottos or potottos at me, but I think next year I won't have any room for dahlias. Think Cheryl will have to grow them all for me! LOL I'll get them back when DH and I buy property though. :o)

Joann, I am so sorry I didn't get you a tuber from my Blackberry Ripple. I told you I would and then never did it. All of my dahlias were lucky to even get into the ground and the rest of them Cheryl rescued for me. I just got too caught up thinking about my trip to Europe, I guess.

Looking a bit bedraggled - here is Sweet Dreams

Thumbnail by got2Bgreen
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

That is very pretty Mendy! Such lovelygentle pastel colors I can see why they named it as they did.

Uuuuuhhhh, Annie, got2B is my sister, Cheryl......I'm Mendy (mgh) (I know you know that though LOL ;o)

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I knew that! LOL! I was still thinking how nice she is to grow your dahlias for you. Temporarily lost in Sweet Dreams... was I.

Nice flower Cheryl!

LOL! Yep, that's what I thought, Annie! She's also growing some iris and daylilies for me. Ain't she a great sis!!

Thanks Poochella!

I am not really impressed with the flower in real life. I used soft focus on the photo to hide some of the flaws in the flower. Maybe the next one will be better. Or maybe this one will be better once it has opened up a bit more.

We'll see.....

Delhi, IA

Soft focus?? What's that? Will it hide insect damage although I really don't have to much of that. Aren't these digital cameras great! Just aim, wait for the wind to stop blowing the flower around and presto, you have a photo.

The soft focus isn't something I did with the camera, although, I agree that digital cameras are great. The soft focus is done with a free program called Picasa I found through DG. Here is a link to the thread:

http://davesgarden.com/place/t/544518/

GAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I'm sooo frustrated! I've been looking forward to these two all summer so far....

Lilac Time and Pretty in Pink.

Thumbnail by got2Bgreen

......and this is what I got......

anyone know their names?

This message was edited Jul 26, 2006 12:20 PM

Thumbnail by got2Bgreen

Pink Gingham decided to join the party....

Thumbnail by got2Bgreen
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Cheryl I'd let the dealer know and put a note in Garden Watchdog for others. They aren't even close and I'd be miffed too. Although it is easy to make mistakes.... I have one tuber ( that I know of) that I had to label "Miss Rose Fletcher or Lilac Time" as the piles sort of rolled together while wrapping last fall. If it's Lilac Time I'll save one for you.

I got them at Costco and I just called them to see if they had a record of what they sold this spring, but they don't keep detailed records like that. They just have them listed as "assorted bulbs". This really frustrates me because the boxes that these were sold in were taped shut so I know that someone (another shopper) couldn't have just been goofing around and switched the contents of two of the boxes. These had to have been mixed up at the supplier. I know the hostas and astilbe that I bought there have come up ok and true to type and I distinctly remember the plastic bags they were packed in had the name on the outside. I just can't remember if these did.

GRRRRR!

I did some looking around on my computer and I don't think I got these at Costco now.... I must have got them at Home Depot....or maybe Lowes. Either way they were mixed up at the place they were packaged because these were in a bag that was stapled to the cardboard picture tag. Oh well, now I have five more plants to go under "NOID".

I think you got those at HD or L's cuz I think I was with you in Salem when you bought them. :o)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.