SOLVED: Another Native Texas Wildflower?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok hopefully this will be simple for someone to ID. These small pink / purple blooms are all over these plants at times. I have one cluster of them out in my field and the last time I checked them the blooms were all gone. So I assumed they were finished blooming for the season. Evidently not . . . Today I was in a wooded area on the property next to me when I noticed a few smaller versions if the same plant that I have in the field. We had just over an inch of rain last weekend, so that may have brought the blooms back, or the fact that these are in a shaded area may have something to do with them still having blooms on them?

At any rate . . . I thought I'd show this photo to you folks and see if anyone is familiar with these? Sorry the quality of the image is not the greatest, but the shade was making it hard for my little camera to get a good shot. If need be, I'll try to get some better photos tomorrow.

Thanks for look'n,
GD

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Reminds me of one of the "locoweeds" (Astragalus). Possibly A. mollissimus... http://www.wildflower2.org/NPIN/Gallery/Detail.asp?ID=9021

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

GD, it could also be this one Astragalus missouriensis, check it out.
http://www.wildflower2.org/NPIN/Plants/Detail.asp?Symbol=ASMI10
Josephine.

Here is another link with a closer picture,
http://www.callutheran.edu/cr/foot/family/fhl-862.htm

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

hmm . . . those do look pretty close, but I'm not sure. I'll get some better images tomorrow and we can compare them too.

Thanks ya'll :)

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm pretty sure it's Tephrosia but I don't know which species

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

hmmmm interesting . . . I was able to get some better photos this evening, but it's getting late and tomorrow is lawn mow'n day . . . so I'll post them when I'm take'n a tea break sometime early afternoonish. :)
Ni'tall

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok . . . I had a few minutes before I start my mower and thought I'd add a few better images to see if that helps.

Here's the better close up of the flower.

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's the same image - uncropped for a view of the plant's structure.

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

This is an overhead view of the plant . . . if that will help?

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I did some brief research on Texas Tephrosia and came up with the 4 listed below.

Tephrosia texanaria - no pictures found

Tephrosia lindheimeri - http://www.wildflower2.org/npin/plants/Detail.asp?Symbol=TELI
native, endemic to Texas

Tephrosia candida - not this one
Tephrosia virginiana - not this one

To me it looks like Tephrosia lindheimeri

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

That sure looks like the one I have to me . . . thanks Floridian :)

I also found a couple more that look to me like the same family. One is a little smaller and has a pale red bloom and another even smaller still with yellow blooms.

Here's what they look like.

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin

That last one sure looks like Indigofera miniata, check this out.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/66699/index.html

This message was edited Jul 28, 2006 10:48 AM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's the yellow one . . . a good deal smaller - and may not be in the same family, but the bloom is shaped very much like the other two.

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin

GD, you sure are hitting the jackpot with all those natives, Congratulations!!!!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Here in Florida our Tephrosia are pretty variable even within feet of each other (meaning I believe they are the same species in a general area). Some have red, some pink and some almost white flowers. The flowers also seem to change colors with age.

Look around for Texas native wildflower sites. Maybe you can send some pictures in to them for positive IDs on the other plants. I didn't come across anything I think might help with your additional plants

Good Luck,

Stacey

ETS...will you post foliage on the yellow (and others as you post them)?

This message was edited Jul 28, 2006 11:55 AM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

I agree Frostweed . . . thanks for that link and info :) I read what HTop wrote and it sure sound like what I have out here. All this sand on my place seems to be a good host for many of these types of natives huh? :)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

lol yeah Josephine - we were thinking the same thing . . . you just beat me to the punch ;) I've got all sorts of goodies grow'n wild out here . . . you may have to bring a big truck when you come down for the RU so you can take some samples home with ya :)

Ok . . . I'll see about getting some positive IDs and additional images from several views to show as much as I can of these and try to post them here for ya'll soon.

Thanks again everyone :)

This is so exciting, I can hardly wait to see all those great plants.
Josephine.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

OK I got a few more images of that plant above with the yellow flowers. I thought it was a rather small plant when I took the photos yesterday evening because the light was not very good and all I could see was a little stem with the bloom on it poke'n up through and mixed in with the other grasses and such.

As it turned out, that little plant 'grew' a lot over night . . . lol Well not really, but there was a lot more to it than I realized. In fact there was a whole lot more. And it was mixed in and tangled around some Costal grass and a few Cardinal's Feathers and what ever else it could wrap it's runners around. As you'll see in the photos, it has several runners and some are about 3' long. All have several blooms, both fresh and older spent blooms. It also has a neat little star shape to the bloom pods and a rather large leaf - in comparison to the blooms. Ya'll may know what this is and can tell me off hand, if not I'll try to find it on one of the links above.

I went ahead and dug it up and was able to get most of it's tap root - which was rather long. I'm guessing that plant had been there a while. I would have never been able to show the entire plant without removing it from where it was and I figured Josephine may offer it a new home if it survives :)
Anyway . . . here's a few different views of this one.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2006 12:34 AM

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

This should give an idea about size of the blooms and leaves.

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's the entire plant all spread out on my slab . . . showing the many runners and blooms on each one.

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's the base of the root and stem branching system.

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Another view of the foliage and the blooms at various stages. Hope these give ya'll a good idea of this little vine like wildflower.

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin

Wow! that is amazing, the leaves look like the Cedar sage, but that is where it stops.
I have never seen a vine like it. I will have to do some looking, but maybe someone from your area might know it, LindaTx might ,she is heavy into natives, and she lives in your area. You have such an amazing place.
I can't wait to find out what it is.
Josephine.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, now I'm REAL curious about these flowers of yours, GD. I'm wondering why I've never seen the likes of them....having roamed around this area and the brush country quite a bit over the years... Simply gorgeous....and true natives too... :)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Well . . . they're not that easy to spot unless you're looking at the right time. It seems that they open their blooms in the evening or cooler parts of the day. I think the first time I noticed them earlier in the day it was a real cloudy day that day and a good deal cooler than it has been here lately.

I've taken a couple of cuttings from one in the field to see how it acts, so far so good. But that was done this afternoon, so we'll see how they look in a day or two. The one I potted looks like it went into a bit of shock, but it may come around yet?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah...like I said, transferring wild natives can be tough sometimes...true hit or miss situations...but I think I lucked out with the beebrush...but lost the purple sage...and I REALLY want some wild purple sage...it grows all over the place near Alice....but it just won't take the transfer.... :(

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Such fun to discover new (to us) wildflowers. I walked MollyMc's new property with her and we found all sorts of wonderful plants. It was great...

I don't know what your newest plants are but I'm watching to find out

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah it's interesting just how many new (to me) plants I'm seeing around here - now that I'm looking a bit closer and paying more attention. And it's all ya'lls fault too :P lol

Ok to keep things in their proper format (for this forum) and to keep from confusing anyone (especially me ;) ) I should mark this thread Solved. Since the original plant I asked about has been ID'd and I'll start a new one for the little yellow vine.

I'll also post the updates there as to how the cuttings are coming along and the status of the one I dug up from the field and potted.

Thanks again for everyone's input,
GD

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

lol...I'm finding it mighty interesting that your unknown bug thread is STILL going strong, GD....and look at the topics that we've covered on THAT one...lol

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

lol TxT . . . true that . . . no tell'n what newcomers to that thread think :))

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

lol...true.. ;)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok I haven't had a chance to open the new thread for the little yellow vine plant just yet, but I will soon . . . meanwhile . . . can someone tell me what these little blue rascals are called? I'm sure it's something simple and don't warrent a thread of it's own . . . I've seen them lots and they are everywhere out here since that last rain . . . it's just that I've never heard them called anything and was curious what they are?

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

GD, I believe its called a Commelina Erecta? Check out this thread where it was discussed some time ago....http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54504/index.html

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Hmm....
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54504/index.html

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

those are pretty. never seen them before though

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/620300/
There, I think thats it...lol

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

lmbo . . . I thought TxT was pull'n my leg for a minute there . . . thought she was try'n to tell me that was a Carmen Electra plant :))

Yeah I think that's pretty close to what these are . . . I've got about an acre of'um in full bloom right now . . . from a distance they look like the bluebonnets do in the spring. Nice blue blankes all over my fields in the morn'ns when it's still cool out. (if cool is a word that can be used here this time of year?)

Here's a photo of a small patch of them where you can see more of the plant part.

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

I really like those.. you don't see a lot of light blue that takes texas heat and lives... if they will transplant can you bring some to the swap?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.