Night-blooming Cereus, Queen of the Night, Dutchman's Pipe Cactus (Epiphyllum ox

Trussville, AL

That is a beautiful plant. I have one that my sister gave me a month or so ago and it has a bloom (not opened yet) on it. I was wondering why the leaf that has the bloom turns yellow/green? Does it need a lot of water? I have not been giving it a lot of water. I have found it does not like a lot of sun or rather I think it doesn't because it has a yellow leaf. Does it smell good when the bloom opens? Does the leaf just die off and then another bloom appears? I have two new small leaves in addition to the 3 mother leaves as I call them. My plant is in a pot but I was wondering if it can stand a Winter in Alabama? Any help would be appreciated.

Houston, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you - I love this plant. It has probably 6-8 little blooms starting to sprout. I haven't noticed that just the leaves with blooms turn yellow, but maybe they do. I'll have to pay closer attention. I give mine water every day, but it's in a pot and it's *HOT* here in Houston this time of year (100 degrees). I think mine is in too much sun, so I need to move it where it get protected from the scorching mid-day sun. I give it fertilizer routinely. Osmocote seems to work well. The blooms smell wonderful! But they only bloom at night. I don't think the leaf dies after the flower dies. You just pop off the dead flower. I doubt if it can stand the winter in Alabama unless you are on the coast.

Take care, and I hope this helps!

Trussville, AL

Thank you so much for replying. I don't live on the coast but I do have it in a pot that I can bring into the house for Winter. I appreciate the tips. Have a great day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.