Finally, I can play.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

It has been difficult waiting for my lovelies to bloom, but at least I had all of yours to look at. My very first of the year:

Duet

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

And the second very first:

Goshen Calico

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Looks good, granny
Am glad you came out to play with us all, LOL

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful flowers Granny! Welcome to the blooming side of the forum- finally! You're off to a terrific start. Love the color blend and form of Goshen Calico and Duet is one of those attention getters as well. Yay for you!

Marysville, WA

GRANNYMARSH,
VERY NICE!! Good job!! Hooray!!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Nice Granny

I like that Goshen Calico

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Your Duet is great, I have had it and it never did so nicely for me; at least the first blooms. Goshen Calico is sweet.

Aptos, CA

Well the Beach Boys said it best..."Go Granny Go Granny Go Granny Go!!!"...

Delhi, IA

Hi Granny, Nice to have you on this side of the dahlia forum. Keep those great flowers coming.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

LOL Sudhira!

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Sudhira, Now I can't get that song out of my head. It's like 'Puff the Magic Dragon".
Thank you all for your kind comments. have been outside giving all the rest a pep talk.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Hy Pimento

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Happy Face
It is big & is a nice bright yellow, not an off yellow

approx. 7" across

This message was edited Aug 10, 2006 7:08 PM

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Mingus Mary

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Mary
Thanks Annie

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Bodacious

This is one jumbo beauty, photo shows a bloom 1/2 open. Hope this one is tuber making machine.

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Kari Fruit Salad

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ah, very pretty, granny.
I like that 'Kari Fruit Salad'. What a name for it! Actually looks like a fruit salad on the dining table.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Wonderful array there Granny. How big is Happy Face? You took after the variegated ones this year didn't you!
You got the real Kari Fruit Salad! Mine was blah from first bloom til I hacked it off in october. Not enough sun? Too much sun? I used an umbrella on it in the heat of day because it just frumped so badly- much worse than neighboring dahlias.

Love Bodacious! You better post a fully open photo of that one, please! Nice to see Mary. Is your plant sprawling from east to west coast ? I am cutting off leaf ends of mine to try to keep it about 3 ft in diameter instead of 4- and that's with pretty strict tying up. A monster!

Nice growing there, Granny.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

This might give you an idea of the size of 'Bodacious' . It was the first bloom and I didn't disbud it. Check out all the new stems with buds, but I doubt they'll be ready for the Fair by Thursday. The stem is about 2" in diameter.
( 2/3 of these wonderful grands are mine)

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Karas150

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Love your llittle blondies Granny! You must have your hands fulll.
And that gives a great perspective on the size of that Bodacious bloom! Very nice.

Delhi, IA

Bodacious is beautiful. Had one last year but it became a victim of rot early on. Cute group of blondies!!!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Kari Fruit Salad has some nice blends, you've just about sold me on Bodacious.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Val St Lambert (the flower, the bee's name is billyjimbobjoe)

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Snowbound.
Is it the norm for white ones to have some discoloration after a few days? It is still lovely. Or is it just more noticeable because it is white? The form is luscious.

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

'That's Jake' this year it is growing in our vegetable garden. Last Summer, it lived in a big pot and didn't grow as well. Like Poochella said, the color is tough to describe.

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

'Be A Sport'
Like the color, but not sure about it being stuck down in the leaves like this, there are taller stems all around it.
Guess Poochella is right, I did gravitate towards multi-colors this year.

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have had Be A Sport and it is a beauty. I wonder why sometimes they stick down in there like you noticed. It isn't always the variety. I had Seattle and Duet do that terribly. I always wondered if I wasn't deficient somewhere. Now that is a dumb statement. Of course I am deficient somewhere like upstairs. LOL No seriously, Al, Annie, Jam, Carol, sudhira,somebody why do dahlias do that?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I'll classify myself as a somebody.LOL
I know some dahlias do that with their first flower(if not pinched out at that lead) and some seem to put out flowers and just grow up and around them fast. If all of their flowers are hidden than that would be a negative - unless you cut them for arrangements.
Why do they do that? genetics I guess?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Granny Val ST Lambert reminds me a lot of Cha Cha ( Photo soon) in color, but wispier petals. Very nice. Can't we name the bee Ricky Bobby?

I can't see at the moment or I'd comment on the discoloration in the lovely Big White. However,
I can see well enough to say that's the most perfect That's Jake I've ever seen. Last year I thought Jake was hidden by tall neighbors and thus so short/slow. This year I have two: both front and center for sun exposure and the little booger is still slow, so you are way ahead to have such a gorgeous creature in bloom. I love that one.

To answer Lenjo, I don't know about deeply nestled flowers but I bet BC Al is right- genetics. A couple of plants I forgot to top earlier seemed to have a bud formed very low and center, but that was weeks ago and most have gone on to be much taller. I thought " Oh no, wasted bloom so low---." But I might very well have broken the buds off to get it taller/ bushier.

Al, if you want cut flowers, you want longer stems, at least I do. I see some tall stems adjacent to the Be A Sport's lovely bloom above, so all is not lost. Maybe it's a one-time deal for this one?

Delhi, IA

That's Jake!! One to add o my wish list. Love the color. So intense.

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

sI vote for Jake also. Nice color and beautiful form.

Nipomo, CA(Zone 8a)

I finally got my photos back to share, but my Kelvin Floodlight picture didn't come out and I am just sick about it because the first several blooms were the largest and pretiest, and I have already given them all away.
But here is Mrs. Eileen. She is much more orange than she appears in this photo. Gosh I hope I send it correctly. I am mighty proud of her!
~Dayna

Thumbnail by dwerland
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Lovely Dayna. I can't imagine a flower getting much more orange than that- a beautiful rich color. Well done!

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the Snowbound photo, Granny, I have it new in my white garden but it's still in bud form . Now I know what I'm waiting for. Thanks!

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Margaret Ellen

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Ferncliff Illusion

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Both yummy Granny. Love the purple edging on Ferncliff Illusion.

Now I can see the spots on Snowbound, looked solid white to me the other night LOL And now you know why I don't drive at night...

I have that on just the white tips of a Summit Festival. I thought maybe rain/dew that then got baked by the sun might have done it. Similar little brown thin spots. It still is pretty though.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Dayna - that is a nice color indeed - well done.

Marsha - I like both yours - that is a super duper swell crystal clear picture of Ferncliff I tell you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images