Another use for lemon juice!

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Didn't know what forum to post this in-I figure this one is a catch all...

I don't what your toe nails look like but mine after poking around in the garden wearing flip flops they look pretty bad for the entire season. I had a pedicure done about 6 weeks ago and this is when I learned this tip. I'm sure many of you already know it, this is for us folks who don't get around much, I just have to share this great tip: After you clean up and get the dirt out from under your nails, soak fingers/toes in some lemon juice for a few minutes~it's amazing how much better they look.

Last evening we had to attend a reception so I decided it was time to take that 6 week old polish off my toe nails and just about shrieked when I saw my toes (short memory-like this is why I get a pedicure-so I don't have to look at dirty toe nails!) remembering what I just learned , I have to say by the time I was done they looked pretty good with no polish. I did use one of those white pencils so it looks like you got a french manicure/pedicure in 30 seconds or less. I was impressed with how well I cleaned up :) in such a short time.

Have a great day!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Shadyfolks, Thanks for the tip! I live in my flip flops and spend most of my time working in the garden in some way...dirtiest feet in the world! Getting cleaned up is quite a job and I'd definitely be too embarassed to take these feet in for a pedicure!
Sherry

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Sherry, Go in for a pedicure. They've seen it all, believe me. You will never regret getting a pedicure. How relaxing!!!

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

MIsty I agree!! Your feet will be so happy and when you look at your toes you will smile! Well worth the money and it lasts for about 5 weeks!

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

I just got one the other day and I told the guy doing it that I was taking him home with me. :) He laughed. It costs $20 for a pedicure and I have to do it because I'm diabetic. It's cheaper than a podiatrist. And I bet the podiatrist doesn't polish your toenails or rub your legs with lotion. Oh, my I want to go get another one....grow nails grow.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

except that you might get your podiatry visit covered by insurance...

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

If one had insurance, as I do not :)

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Then you are so right! :)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the lemon tip I will try it tonight ..... And Ditto on the pedicure they are WONDERFUL when my DH bought me a salon package for my 40th birthday I was estatic but I said I would never ever do the pedicure I have really gross dancers feet...... Everyone told me I was crazy to pass up a pedicure so I swallowed my shame and apologized profusly to the poor girl that had me. Well that was 8 years ago my feelings toward a pedicure have changed dramaticly and you know even my old dancer feet are lookin a bit better...

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I have two tips about lemon juice. You know those Alpha-hydroxy acids that came out a few years ago to improve your complexion, especially dark spots? Well, the ingredient that bleached them out was fruit acids. I remember that a generation or two ago, ladies used lemon juice for the same purpose. Well, it still works and is much cheaper.
The other thing I found lemon juice does is bleach out rust stains in clothes. I haven't tried it on toilet bowls, but I may turn the water off, flush it and let it get dry and then apply some lemon juice in the following manner:
when I bought a ceramic-top stove, they gave me a sample of a cleaner that smelled like lemon. I read the ingredients and it said citric acid. Hmmm, so the creamy part was just to apply it smoothly and get it to stay put for awhile. If I try this, I'll let you know. My toilet is brand new but already getting rust stains, even though the other toilet never has done this. Oddly, all our plumbing was redone, too. Ay yiyiyiyi

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I bought two metal ...........for lack of a better word, thingies....that are supposed to deter rust in porcelain, and I really didn't think they would work but they do. You drop them in the tank. Can't even remember where I got them...........wasn't this helpful??? LOL Now if I could find something that would prevent the mineral buildup...................

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

meezersfive,
Very interesting, if you ever come across those metal thingies please post more information. We have well water with a lot of iron and you know the rest....Do you remember what kind of metal they were made of?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Meezers5 ~ Mineral build up ~ use LEMON JUICE! It works! Anything that can be removed like a shower head, soak in lemon juice. If you can't remove, fill a baggie and tie on to it. Around faucets, soak a paper towel or dish rag in lemon juice and wrap around it. Keep it moist for awhile. It will clean off easily then. I have also used it in the commode but dilutes too much. Have used it to whiten fingernails for years and in past days of metal clothes hangers, have used lemon juice with salt and sunshine to remove rust. I buy the cheapest lemon juice for these uses.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the lemmon juice tips!
I keep a foot file thingy in the shower for my feet. Like the rest of you I wear my slippers (flip flops) all summer and the rest is barefoot...my feet are nasty! I finally got my nails cleaned and it's time to start digging in the dirt again! The problem with scrubbing the feet so much is my heals crack and the scrubbing makes it worse. Then I have to wear sox to bed with something gooey on my feet..... my feet get hot....blah, blah.... I need to go for the pedicure...my last one was with my DD & DN last Oct. while visiting them in Vegas. I guess I'm overdue....

Now back to the lemmon juice..PODSTER...any ideas on removing the mineral build up in dishwashers? My DSinL has terrible water in the county...nasty looking dishwasher...it's clean...just looks bad.

PS...the term slippers for flip flops comes from Hawaii where everyone calls flip flops, slippers. Since we have family there and family from there we have picked up the "slippers" term.

I don't have any experience with the inside of a dishwasher and haven't had a problem with the washer either. Our deposits build up around the faucets and in lines. Is hers reddish like iron in the water?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 8a)

ya...it's a reddish/brown...just yucky...they are on a water association but it's all well water in the county.

Yuk, I don't have any experiences with that! I know there are some over the counter products that claim... Maybe someone out there has a recommendation? pod

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

We have a lot of iron in our well water. Our softener (now that we have one that works properly) virtually takes care of it. Before the new softener I would use a product by Whink called 'Rust stain remover' in a brown bottle you can use it on clothes or sinks and toilets. Really works instantly! It's an acid and you need to follow directions. OUr grocery stores and hardware stores around here carry their product line.

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

I used to use "Whink" when we lived in an area with horribly rusty water. The water was so rusty the walls in the shower were orange-yellow.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

jas,
Unfortunately, I know exactly what you mean!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I think Helouise used to advocate throwing a scoop of Tang breakfast drink (not unlike lemon juice!) into an empty dishwasher and running it through a cycle to remove all sorts of stuff from the interior.

I will have to try something on my fingernails... I've been pinching basil (harvesting loads), and that stain is even harder to remove than dirt under my nails!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Our dishwasher repair guy said 1 time a month to put in 1 cup of white vinegar in the dishwasher empty and let it run. They use to say clorox but he says it eventually breaks down the plastic.

I haven't tried it yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.