GRITDIG-part 4

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Another thread needs to be started already.
All of our dahlia trees are growing like weeds so shall see how they do now...........

Here is a picture of mine today.
It is up to 68" and very wide. Guess I need to measure the width too. The main 2 stalks are huge. Almost as large as the one Don had sent me!!! Shall measure that too, maybe tomorrow if I remember, LOL

So keep posting your updated results of this great tree!

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Carol, can't wait to see those stems, they were thick! If width is anything to go by you should have a very tall plant there if the frost doesn't get it first!

We have finally had a reasonable rain, about 1/2" and everything is saying thank you! Only 59F though!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, Carol, yours belongs right there in monster land too.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I'm officially over my current measuring system which I think tops out at 8 ft 2-3 inches. I'm too tired to go look in the dark LOL!

Bottom stalks are still nice and purple and thick, maybe half as wide as what Dr. Don sent to begin with. Incidentally, I haven't even thought of sawing that old stem off as we talked about Carol. Did you? It's too close to the others for me to do it with ease.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Geez, I can't believe on how tall yours has gotten!!! Love the "dark" pic, lol
Guess you are feeding yours something better than me. Maybe I am not watering it much but it looks very dark green and is growing leaps and bounds so...........
Tho I do wished it would have been like 10-15'. That would have been cool to see. Maybe next year???

No, I didn't cut off the old stem and mine is way too close as you say. No way!!!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

We still have a long way to grow Carol; maybe 8-10 weeks? You might see 10-15 ft yet. I am not doing anything special, threw on some Osmocote because I'm too busy to fiddle with goat poop right now ( wish the goats were LOL.) I water when I remember and that's it.

Wallaby I'm really impressed with your 'babies' you started. ( on the other thread) They are regular monsters along with the parent plant! Nicely done.

Link to last thread

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/623817/#new

Hmm, looks like I have some fast work to do here! My 3rd stem is fast catching up with the others, I do wonder what they would have done if I had taken it off. Not that I'm jealous (oh ye), I think my top leaves have done the flop, but the middle has caught up, ready for the next surge ahead! Darned cold here, it was 56F at around 11am, dull and breezy and damp.

Pooch yours does look like a racer, is it leaning away from the wall?

Now you all know how you can grow more D.i. from your stems, I don't know how they would fare if left out in the winter, mine was in a garage but the stems remained green inside. It might be a good experiment to try wrapping some with a good insulator inside, perhaps lots of dead leaves piled up with bubble wrap to hold it in. That would let light through. It could also help protect the main roots.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ah gee, dang it, Janet.
I put the link to the post but it didn't work. So thanks.

I am going to have to leave it in the ground. I am not going to dig up that huge thing. I really don't have a place to overwinter it yet. I am trying to save for a small like 4' x 6' greenhouse (polycarb. one, no more plastic one). I will try to protect it as well as I can tho. Lots of great mint compost and maybe a wall of insulation around it???

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

You should be okay leaving it in the ground Carol. Lenjo isn't that far away, are you Joann? Mulch and hope for no prolonged downpours.

Yes, Wallaby, the two stems of the DI here seem to lean out from the wall just at a slight, maybe 20 degree, angle. I will leave them that way because they're going to run into the overhanging eaves if I pull them up straight.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

My plant is in this present location for the second year. I didn't dig last winter for the exact same sentiment Carol already perfectly expressed." I am not going to dig that huge thing." I probably will leave it again. I left the big stalks too thinking it would mark the spot plus it couldn't act as the siphon with the water. I don't think I even mulched it but this year I will. I just got lucky to get it through once.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Houston, we have eaves! Not quite touching but I wish my DI was leaning as far as I thought it was. It is going to run into the roof overhang if I don't do something.

I don't have a measuring system in place yet, over 8 ft for sure from dirt to top.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Wider view

Thumbnail by Poochella

Watch that Di Pooch, it's gonna push the roof off!

I measure mine on the 21st at 1.35 am (very early Monday morning before last) and it was about 102.5".

8+ days later I haven't put the tape up, that is so difficult now, I will be able to make a definite measure at a certian brick if I get around to it! I measured the brick depth and with filler its 3.25".

It's at least 2 bricks taller so that would be 109", or 9' 1" .

This is the one taken 8 days ago, and yes I did have the steps up there at 1.35am, but the picture taker just couldn't get a proper full shot.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

A full shot today, I think it's about tipping where the telephone cable goes around the corner,

Thumbnail by wallaby1

To give an idea of size, the pot next to it with the canna is 10.5" tall.

I can see I will be out there in the dark on a step ladder again!

The bird box is now well hidden behind the left stem.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Please tolerate my ignorance if this is a dumb question. Do these dahlias actually bloom? Thanks.

Yes they do if they don't get frozen off first!

They are prompted into bloom by shortening day length, probably late October or later, and by that time we will have had a frost but not always. The only ones bloomed here that I have heard about are at kew Gardens in a hot year, and there was one in the Eden project glass dome.

Not many people have grown them here, they are just getting popular but still thin on the ground. I am attempting to get flowers!

Some pics on this site, take note of the heights!

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Dahlia

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Amazing! What fun!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, you guys sure are growing big together, lol
Mine is around 78" tall. Can't really measure it very well. Four feet plus about 30".......
But I think mine would win the wide size tho. Don't have a measurement but is much fuller and wider than you too tho.
Mine is still growing new shoots all the time tho.
Good job, girls! Keep going.

Carol I took the 4 new shoots off mine, they make a hard joint so will have something to root from when it's cut. It might be too late, but the smallest one is standing up now and the other 3 look promising. I think with being small it would be a good idea to bring them inside when it gets cold, along with 10 fold other plants this year!

Talk about wide, I just measured the width of mine from leaf tips sideways, it is 92".

Lets have a pic even if no measurements Carol, yours was showing great promise of being a sideways winner! It must be a lateral thinker......

Pooch, I would love to see a full shot of yours pushing at the roof.

Just measured my biggest baby plant, it's 63", this was taken 4 days ago

Thumbnail by wallaby1
ISLE OF LEWIS, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

can any body help me, i am looking to purchase dahlia tree tubers or seeds, we live on the Isle of Lewis on the Outer hebrides, Scotland United kingdom, we seem unable to find them over here, we have been making our dream garden, and i grow dahlias but have not come across dahlia trees, I'm not sure are they roots, tubers or seeds that they grow from , can anybody please help me? we have a thread running on the photo threads its called THE HOUSE AS WE BOUGHT IT, there is also THE HOUSE AS WE BOUGHT IT [2], we are trying to make one part of our garden a tropical garden and are growing many types of palms, bamboo's banana's , also loquat trees and catalpa trees from Portugal, and many other tropical plants, we have also grown some giant Lillie's, which i have propagated over the last ten years, these are oriental Lillie's, which i'm very proud of, but would love to add some DAHLIA TREES TO MY COLLECTION, kindest regards Pete, Anne from Scotland UK

Thumbnail by bruntongardens

Hi Pete and Anne. Welcome to DG!

Well, you know, I happen to live in the British Isles, and I also happen to have grown some extra Dahlia imperialis. They are in growth now and impractical to post, the last ones I took off the plant are in the process of rooting and the first lot I grew from stem cuttings are too tall. If you would like to swap me some of your giant lilies in spring for a Di I could send you one when it starts in growth again.

They are mostly bought as a rooted stem, I got mine in early July 2004 from Urban Jungle already growing at about 3 feet tall in an open top box, carriage hugely expensive but I bought other plants. When they are just starting to grow it could be sent standard parcel via Royal Mail, normally 2-3 days perhaps a little longer to your outer location. Alternatively, I could chop one down but they are in really big pots, the roots should be mature enough for next spring and I think it's best to let them continue to grow just now.

www.junglegardens.co.uk do sell them but it would cost you an arm and a leg.

Are the lilies from your own breeding? How do you stop them from getting beaten by the winds, I believe it's always windy there.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Ok, Janet,
Here is a pic I took yesterday.
Didn't measure it but you can see the size tho.

I can see it's put on some weight since your last picCarol, you look to be having some dull weather too. I

t's quite pleasant here at the mo, dull but warm, around 70F supposedly (haven't checked the thermom today) and 88% humidity with a little occasional drizzle, I think Di will like that!

ISLE OF LEWIS, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi wallaby1 Thank you for replying in regards to the dahlia tree, i could be interested in doing a swap, we have been in touch with T&M , they are very interested in my lillies, will definitely consider your offer, after i have had a reply from T&M, thank you for responding, very much appreciated, The Island is on the gulf stream up here, so we tend to get alot of fine weather, we have alot of plants still in bloom, into December, yes we do have high winds during the winter months, right up untill march, the wind does not affect the lillies as the stems are so big and very woody, i have just been leaving them in the ground over winter, we have perfect conditions for growing lillies up here as its all peat, when you are ready in the spring just send me a dmail and we will see what we can do, many thanks and kind regards Pete , Anne

Will do that, good luck with T&M!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Welcome Pete and Anne, from the western US. I glanced at your photo albums and enjoyed the tour of the fruits of your labors. What a great area! Will look more in the dormant season.

Here is my d. imperialis news:
I've passed the eaves a few days ago. I have no idea on height because who can measure that high LOL!? The top of the step ladder is 6 ft, so maybe 10 ft?

"D.I. to the sky!" is my new motto. I've also cut back the buddleia in front of it, so there will be more sun exposure.

The good thing is, I can go on the roof to look for buds LOL! Here are the uppermost leaves basking in some sunshine.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/Dahlia%20Imperialis/dimpbeyondtheeavesupperleaves.jpg

Thumbnail by Poochella
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Looking good, Annie.
I need to take a pic of mine. Can't really measure it either but will try.
Mine is still putting up new shoots each branch by branch! I am amazed on how many branches I have now.
With the fall we are having, it will be good if one of us from the NW could get a bloom!!!

Yes Pooch, it is reaching for the skies!

It's 2 weeks since my last shot, it has grown some but seems to be slowing down in terms of height versus time. It looks to be at least 2 bricks higher, perhpas 2.5 bricks, that would mean 109 + approx. 8", being 9' 9".

We had some really strong winds for a couple of days, the tallest stem got blown sideways and has remained there. It's now leaning out from the wall, where before it was in front of it. No root lifting, it is stable.

This taken yesterday

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I measured my dahlia tree today and was shocked!!!
It was 96"+ tall!!!
I had to measure it from all sides to make sure.
I think you will remember that I had those white poles/posts there all along.
Those posts are about 50" tall so....................
Unreal, huh?
I can't believe on how strong it keeps going, up and up, wider and wider each day.............
Looks very very healthy and the main stalk is so large. I was going to measure it but forgot.
But can't see any blooms yet, sigh....................
Wonder if I will .........................
Oh, well, it has been fun to grow and hasn't taken too much work. Actually less work than a regular dahlia. Just water it every so often and no deadheading so far.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

You must have 80" cosmos then huh?

They must be pretty strong if you just have a 50" stake, has any broke?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Those confounded cosmos!
They reseeded themselves from last year and I didn't have the heart to pull them so they went to town this summer!!!
The white poles were put in the ground next to the tree because DrDon had lost a few main stalks last fall due to the wind. So that is why I have them there. I haven't tied them to the post yet and am not sure if I want to. His were huge, like 15-20' tall. Nothing like mine.
So no, none have broken and hope then don't either after all this!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow way to go, Carol, that thing is lush and fluffy! Very nice. I keep trying to stare upward to see buds, but I can't see that far! I will go on the roof and look closely. I haven't secured my trunks to anything either, but they are kind of protected from much wind.
I hope Dr. Don comes back in time to give us advice on digging and storing these.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

You be careful up on that roof, Annie!
Don't want you to have a broken leg so then you can't dig all those tubers, LOL LOL
But really, don't bother. You will see buds or blooms if they do try to show up!

As for digging, not me. I am just going to cut it down (will have to find a chainsaw tho!), mulch it good with mint compost, and maybe put chicken wire around it with a plastic cover. I do not have space to store or have the energy to dig that, and I mean, huge stalk!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I guess it is time for me to measure again too, huh? I will almost have to enlist the help of my DH. I reread this gritdig; p.4 and looked at your photo Anne and the giant lilies, how gorgeous. Those are monsters. And your garden structure in the background looks so charming. I would love to see a photo of the whole thing.

I got a shot of the stems at the bottom. Al they are very strong, like cast iron bamboo.

I took the 4 new shoots off and now have 4 more growing, from a small one on the stem to a larger, thick one from underground. The stems are making air roots from the harder bottoms.

The joints in mine are very close towards the top, from about half way up some are only about 5" apart. Pooch yours look very long in between.

I don't know if this pic will post, there is a problem with posting pics, some just have the 'click to enlarge' with no pic! You can see how thick this year's stem is compared to the short one behind.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Oh well, you can't see! Try later!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

You are so right, Janet, the stalks on these d.i. s is nothing short of amazing. They are incredibly strong. I was looking at the stalks of mine here and I just couldn't believe it; the diameter of my biggest stalk must be 3 to 4 inches in diameter. I have a young birch tree in that same bed and if the season lasts long enough it just might pass that tree up; and to think it started from the ground this season only yet. Quite incredible really. I will try to measure tomorrow. I really haven't fertilized mine either, when my hubby saw it (the stalk width and the heighth) js one comment was wow, just imagine how many nutrients that thing is taking from the soi.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

You are so right, Janet, the stalks on these d.i. s are nothing short of amazing. They are incredibly strong. I was looking at the stalks of mine here and I just couldn't believe it; the diameter of my biggest stalk must be 3 to 4 inches in diameter. I have a young birch tree in that same bed and if the season lasts long enough it just might pass that tree up; and to think it started from the ground this season only yet. Quite incredible really. I will try to measure tomorrow. I really haven't fertilized mine either, when my hubby saw it (the stalk width and the heighth) js one comment was wow, just imagine how many nutrients that thing is taking from the soil

I edited to correct my grammar; sheesh, after all I teach grammar so I better practice what I 'teach'.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2006 7:25 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.