Coleus Chatters Aug 18-20

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

GM to all you wonderful coleus people! I'm on the run with so many things to get done! I do hope everyone is well and has a nice restful weekend planned!

Con't from this thread http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/639446/#new

Thumbnail by Brinda
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

well guys....i am a genius..(NOT); i have been faithfully doing coleus cuttings and guess what i discovered...the babies of the plants i am cutting off of are bigger, healthier, better than the parent plants....WHAT A CONCEPT.....it took me blindly doing what you told me to do....(cause i sure didn't believe it in my heart)....but i did it and it is amazing what healthy babies are coming out of some parent coleus.....thanks for being patient with me .....(grin)

now, what would happen if i fertilized the dang things....hhhhmmmmmmmm.......(big old grin)

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

You know something? I truly appreciate it when someone else admits these things out loud!!!! Especially when they apply to ME!

Joni,
THANK YOU FOR SHARING!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It's great being a mommy, huh?

(Zone 9a)

LOLOLOL!!! Can't wait to give that a try myself!

Just got home from the MRI and a stop at the nursery. Has anyone ever heard of an MRI hurting before? No exaggeration, no imagination, the thing was putting my back into spasms and the tech (which I went to school with) couldn't explain it. I could feel the magneto thingy go up and down my legs and spine and each time it would pull my muscles, making them want to spasm. I could hardly walk when I got out of the thing.

But then Mark took me to the nursery, which is closing Monday, so everything was on clearance. He's such a sweety. I was so proud of him when he identified a Brug all by himself from across the parking lot....just like a child speaking their first words! I made a haul with clearance plants and even finally found a SPV. They were doing 10 perennials for $22. I figure I have the rest of the season to get these in, then that's it for me this year.

Also got 2 huge hanging baskets since my other stuff fried when I hurt my back. So now the front porch doesn't look barren. They need deadheaded, but I can't wait to share pics!

It's time for a nap now. Have a great weekend everyone.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Glad you are OK, Heather. It's amazing how a trip to a nursery can cure all pains.....LOL

Hap

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

heather....i had a mri about 2 months ago...and no pain; 6 months ago...no pain; i am glad you are done with it....rest and take care of you

gg....i am glad you read my scientific observation....(he he)....but for those of us new to propagation it is good to be able to physically see WHY we are doing something.....cause it sure didn't make sense to be cuttin up my momma plants all for the sake of getting more plants.....but NOW it makes sense....the babies are better!!!!

hap.. it feels great to be a mom!!!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Anyone home?

Hi everyone! I just had a few seconds to check in ....it's a madhouse around here! LOL Only six days and counting..... (wish me luck)

Heather, it's great to see you again! I do hope you're feeling well. And I swear, I really think the best medicine is to go nursery hopping! WTG Girl!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

no!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

i'm here!!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Wooohooooo!!! Hap is not here but Joni is!!! LOL

Hap, you always put a smile on my face! Seee.eee...eeee....eeeeeee :)

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

I`m here! We been shopping........
3 New Coleus` and a few Tropicals.
will post pics as soon as I rest a bit.

Good to 'see' everyone......

Pearl River, LA

I thought I posted a hello hours ago... but I guess I forgot to send. I hopeyou are all having a great weekend. The DD is coming up tomorrow so we will have a great time. I got a lot done this week. Brin I hope you have a wonderful party and are not too tired to enjoy it. That is next week end right.. shirleyt

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I haven't been posting as much, but I do read.
;)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Well get your fannie back in here!!!!! What is going on with you Sidney? I know you're busy with all that you have to do, but I sure miss hearing your stories. How is everyone there?

GM All! I just took a wonderful stroll around the garden! LOLOLOL I just can't believe it! Sometime in the night we must have had a huge hatching of green caterpillars! And they loooooovvvvveeeee my coleus! I have chewed leaves on every coleus out there and they have even eaten the leaves on the morning glories. Actually, I'm thinking they've taken bites out of everything! Oh boy!!!!!! I'm getting the big guns out now! And when this party is over I'm thinking of buying a TORCH....YES A BIG FLAME THROWER!!!! I'm so sick of all of this!!!!!

Pearl River, LA

Good morning everyone. Brin I am so sorry about your caterpillars. I had them last two years munching on the azalea's. They could eat a whole large plant over night. These would eat at night and then cluster on one limb in daylight. If you went out early I could break off where they were and relish in squishing them. It would take about three early days to rid myself of them. If they would have made beautiful butterflies I am sorry, but not sorry enough to let them annihilate my bushes... These were black and white with orange caterpillars. The green ones used to eat our tomatoes. Mom used to make early morning rounds looking for them, and they met their fate too. The DD and Gus should be here soon. I have not seen him in a while and I am afraid to see how much he has grown. I think he is going to be a huge dog. He is already way large for a March puppy. Have a great day shirley

I had to reinstall XP..computer crash..keyboard broke (F1 to F10 broke I Could have had a worm Hope that helps.
Sidney

This message was edited Aug 20, 2006 10:16 AM

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh shoot Sidney! I hate it when something like that happens! I hope things are rolling along for you now and you stop with any problems!

Hi Shirley!!! I plan to spray with BT this evening. I'm wondering....the BT I have is probably 3 or 4 years old. Does that stuff go bad? Maybe I should get a new bottle???

Pearl River, LA

Brin I asked the PP and he said your poison should be fine. I doubt it would do harm. Sid I am sorry your computer crashed. Did you have you pics cut to disc? I know I would hate to lose mine so I try to stay on top of it. shirley

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

brin sorry about the catepillars....

sid...sorry about the puter.....

(Zone 9a)

Brin, hope you get those buggers down to nothin' quick. If you get a torch I want to borrow it, Mark has been "threatening" to bring one home from work for 2 years now for a bad weed patch. Those are too cool!

Sid, so sorry to hear about the crash. That is always the worst. Hope you didn't lose anythign valuable, like Shirley said I hope you had pics saved.

Shirley, it sounds like you have an exciting day today! I'm excited for you, take pics and share! Can't wait to see how big Gus is by now....I'm wondering if he'll let you sit in your chairs this time? I remember how he had a hard time with that last time, lol!! Really looking forward to seeing him.

Joni, hi cutie. Just saw what you posted on the adoption thread and wishing I had something to trade with you for it. I'll be mailing you on that!

And, this is for Sid...poor Sid dealing with a crash! This is the Hibiscus you helped me pot up and bring back to life...and understand why it wouldn't get any taller. Hope it makes you smile. =^)

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Thanks shirley...I'll be using it this evening!

LOL Heather!!!! This has been an incredible year for pests! Maybe it wouldn't make me so crazy if I didn't have this party coming up on Saturday! I just couldn't believe my eyes this morning when I went out to see gazillions of leaves chewed to shreds! Arrrggggg!

BTW....your hibiscus is gorgeous!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Ok,
I'm here at almost 7:00 on a Sunday night. Glad you all are ok.

I have a question. We have about 70 more days of weather that will be steadily dropping to around 70 degrees. September will avg. around 95-99. October will avg. around 85-93. With these kinds of temps ahead, is there still time to plant something else that will bring some color to the garden?

I love the dinnerplate hibiscus I have and wish I had more. It brings cool color, especially when I open the blinds and SURPRISE, there's a new bloom! Let me know.

Having a peaceful, restful Sunday. Friday was the work day from Hell...so I needed yesterday to regroup. Getting ready for Monday!

More tomorrow.

Luv Yah!

Yes it was my Toshiba Laptop keyboard. It is still under extended warranty so I believe they will fix it. I was looking high and low for phrases to copy and paste to let you know and see if any of you knew any quick fixes. I did a 3 month ago restore and that didn't work. So got a microsoft USB keyboard and Mouse. I am having a time using the regular mouse to play with, I learned on the flat screen, so this wheely gadget is a challenge.
I have all the reboot disk, but being unable to click the F1 button sqyelched that. What time does Best Buy open anyhow?

I hate your plants are getting et before the big shibang!!! When does Miss DeVille arrive? Will she come to your home a day early and bark orders?

GG yes, now is the time to plant all your coleus babies in groups of 3 or 5 in every corner of the garden. Mine sometimes look great until Christmas, so give them a whirl. Guaranteed color with no flowers, or add groups of impatients to accent the coleus. They need the same water and sun, so are wonderful companions. I have catch-up gardening from 7:30 to 9:00 in the morning.

So much to pack for going to the tundra for a few season changeing months.
Have I told you folks about my need for a 10 x 30 closet? Well, with the different duds my life requires that would be great. Where ever I go to work I will need warm clothes before I turn around.
Gotta have the yard on auto pilot.
Sidney

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sid .....tundra??

gg....a woman of my own heart....i say go for it!!!!! i am plantin away!!! like a plantin fool.....but you are warmer than i am....so yes i would go for it.....BUT....do you freeze there?? if so i would be prepared to take the hibisucs in or dig it up and take it in.....mine wont make it outside at all in the winter..

Joni,
After 10 years in Fla, any thing that gets a near freeze requires long johns and down jackets. I'm aiming for Philly, so I refer to that as tundra, LOL
Insulated Carharts already packed.
Sidney

(Zone 9a)

Sid, are you really coming to Philly? If so you've got to let me know when. My DB is in the Philly area and I just couldn't let a chance to meet up with you pass by! He is 5 hours from me, but getting to visit w/ you would be worth every mintue of the trip!! My DB isn't so bad either (he's not the one I've mentioned on here before!)

Y'all are crackin' me up with the Tundra and worryin about planting things this LATE in the year when you only have 70 days till 70 degrees. LOL!! GG, I think what you described there IS my growing season!! Actually, it sounds better than my growing season. I don't know where Tobee has been, but I know she'd be ROTFL with me. =^)

I have worked out of Philly several times and love it. It cost alot for rooms there. I may be up there for awhile and will be in touch Heather, It sure would be nice if Best Buy had loaner puters there.
I HAVE LOTS OF WORK TO DO.
Hugs to all
Sidney

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

good morning all!

just a quick hello to let ya all know i didn't die, ....yet.

been business busy setting up for wholesale next season. looks likes it's happening. (but one NEVER knows what changes can happen!) we are mostly going to do...of course...coleus. however, some other more "expensive" to purchase plants. we have a 100 x 80 foot greenhouse so a lot can fit in, however, i want to keep in "manageable" the first year. if it works well we have 7 MORE greenhouses...one being over 200 feet by 100... one can sure fit tons of coleus in there!

miss and love everyone. sorry i haven't read back to get updated. i been having to get ready because i have some large accounts coming to view designs in the next week and then i'm off to branson mo for a week or so. so much for some quiet time!

xoxoxoxoxoxo

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Oh tobee! Nice to see you again and best of luck on all your business ventures! And don't work too hard!!!!! Enjoy your vacation, you certainly deserve it!!!

Now...I gotta get to work! Love to you all....have a great week!!!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

sid....hope you get philly

tobee....nice to hear about someone elses ventures

brin hope the party plannin is good

hey heather

it is cloudy here and suppossed to rain all weekkk.....don't exactly want it .....no sun makes me depressed.....but my plants will love it...

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I think I've worked too hard getting ready for this thing! LOL All I want to do is keep coming back here to my office and look at flowers! I really need to shut this computer down and get busy!

Joni....I hear ya, I normally like it bright and sunny all year long. Cloudy days make me lazy and lazy makes me feel really bad about myself! It's a never ending circle! LOL We have the same weather as you today, and right now our temp is 77*. It's really nice out, but I hope it doesn't rain and wash off the chemicals I sprayed with last night!!! Look here Joni, looks like clouds and rain most of today. http://wwwa.accuweather.com/radar-large.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&site=OK_&type=SIR&anim=1&level=state&large=1

Oh, make sure you click the animate button on the top left.

This message was edited Aug 21, 2006 10:34 AM

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

brin we do have alot of the same weather.....but the sun just came out of the clouds...so maybe yours will.....it also just heated up about 20 degrees when the sun came out......eeeeee purdy hot

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Uhoh....I best stop playing in here and get outside before the oven turns up to 100+! LOL Thanks for the warning!

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

How do you gals over winter your coleus? This is my first try with these plants and I would hate to lose them over the winter.

Lavina

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Ha! As you see I haven't gone to work yet! LOL I'm still playing on this puter.

Lavina, I let mine die. I know that's a horrible thing...but I just have never had luck getting them through the winter. I tried for three years and I've given it up now. And I just don't have the room to mess with it either. I only have a couple of special ones that I plan to bring in this winter.

Do you have a greenhouse? I bet Pheadra can give you good answers along with many others on here.

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

lavina...the gurus have taught me that we willl need to take cuttings cuttings cuttings; then put them in water or soil.....i am finding soil is having a better chance of survival than water.....also, the babies of the adult plants are healthier than the parent plants....ie last year i tried to bring the adult plants in and they all died.....so i am doing many many cuttings

Lavina,
Read Tigerlily's cuttings thread and and take cuttings, root in soil, pinch to branch, cut to root, pinch to branch, etc. Until it's spring again.
Except when I do Brugs in a Bubbler anything I put in water rots.
I know you can bring them through the winter in your basement.
Sidney

(Zone 9a)

This will be my first year having Coleus indoors too, so maybe we can have a thread just for that when the time comes so we can keep each other aware of what we are supposed to be doing and when to do it. Joni posted a while ago a real good plan on when to do what and how exactly to do it. She's got a great plan, I know I saved it somewhere but I doubt I'll be able to find it when I need it, lol.

My plan, if nothing else, is to just grow them as a houseplant through the winter. Then a little while before spring take a few cuttings and start rooting them. Because, like Joni says, the babies are supposed to be better plants than the parents. Joni is going to be my teacher here....so don't let your subscription run out girl!!

GG, I hope you know I wasn't making fun of you. I apologize if that's how anyone took that. I just thought what you wrote was so cute and sweet compared to how much time and the temps I get to grow things. It made me giggle. I'm sorry if it hurt your feelings.

Tobee, good to see you! Yes, don't work too hard...but enjoy Branson and take bunches of pics to share with us!

Sid, have you ever considered going to one of those Internet Cafe thingys? Or even to a local library? Don't know if that would work for you, just an idea.

Brin, I'm so behind in everything still. I'm sorry. Is this your reception party that you're having? I'm assuming that's what's going on. Congrats, by the way. LOL. If this is your reception party you should get to just relax and enjoy it! How much more do you have to do before the party anyway?

Here's a Hummingbird Moth I caught a pic of the other day....isn't he neat?

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

heather...if anyone can learn from my mistakes i hope that they can.....BUT i tryed the houseplant concept last year.....thinking, well, these coleus don't need sun outside so they will grow great inside.....boy was i wrong....i had them in my sun room with all my other plants.....and they(coleus) all died....

my brain told me that the bigger the plant was the stronger it was......well, they died first, then one by one by one they all died....it was very sad....; that is why i was so surprised the other day posting that the babies were coming out bigger and better than the mother plants i cut them off of.....seeing was believing for me......and so i am still cutting away so that the numbers game will come into play.....i am hoping that the more i have ....the more that will live .....etc etc.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.