Red Tiger seedlings

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

These just might be the next Cold hardy Bananas,equal to Musa Basjoo.
I hope to keep them growing in the greenhouse over winter,and plant in the ground next spring.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Back side of leaf

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Tropicman, I have two of these and just went to take pictures of them and noticed that they look a little bit different from each other-the first has the red stripe down the midrib like yours...

Thumbnail by tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

heres the back of the leaf

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

and here is the other one....looks different, but they both are supposed to be Sikkimensis ' Red Tiger'...got them at the same time from the same grower. This one gets a bit more shade

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

and here is the back of the leaf. You are right that Sikkimensis is a very cold hardy banana, right after basjoo and velutina

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Your middle one looks like a Miss Luki,that I've grown before,I traded it off for a goldfinger
banana.
But your other one definately looks to be the same as mine.
Do you plan on leaving them in the ground over winter?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Tropicman, I still think its a Red tiger-you can sort of see where it wants to go red down the midrib, and the back is clearly red, but I do think that the amt of sun one is getting over the other one is affecting the color.
Yes I will keep them both in the ground-I am hoping that because Sikkimensis is so cold hardy that this cultivar will be as well!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Keep me informed,are you going to give it some winter protection???

If mine makes it thru winter in the greenhouse.I plan on planting it i the ground as well as the basjoo.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.