I have huge plants, but no signs of flowers!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I planted 'Scarlett O'Hara' this spring and just two seeds germinated. That was enough, though, because the plants are both huge. No signs of any flowers yet, though. Is this unusual? How long does it usually take for these to produce blooms? They were planted in May.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Are they getting plenty of sun? Do you feed them? I've never grown Scarlett (yet), may be a late bloomer.....

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

They are in full sun. I've not fertilized them, though. I have roses very near them, and I have fertilized those, so I would imagine some of that has reached the MGs, too.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

My dd says to never fertilize MGs or they won't bloom. I never have before that I remember of and they bloomed like crazy. This year I didn't think there were many in this veggie row and went ahead and fertilized. I now finally have one small bloom. The Grandpa Otts where I didn't fertilize have had some blooms this year.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Excessive levels of Nitrogen may sometimes impair flowering,although both phosphorus and potassium are bloom stimulating...bloom boosters often contain phosphorus and potassium...

Regards,

Ron

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Well, sounds like you've done the right thing.... maybe just slow... Hope you get some soon.. it's a long time to wait.. I bet you see some before it freezes.

(Zone 7a)

kbaumle, my Scarlet O'Hara hasn't bloomed either, yet, while quite a few other MG varieties have been blooming since July - all were sown on June 20. I sure would love to see a thread started on which MGs are early, mid or late bloomers. If someone else doesn't start it, I'll try to do it sometime after nightfall...and a few others...it looks like the first Chocolate Silk from EmmaGrace is going to open this morning - must scamper off!

I don't ever recall a more enchanting August in the garden before this one, thanks to Ron's, Emma's and Ansonfan's very generous trades and gifts of seed - will more properly thank you all elsewhere again.

PS - AuntB, about late setting seed and autumn frost - In addition to throwing bedsheets, plastic garbage bags, woven polyethelene floating row covers, etc. over vines in the fall, I wonder if perhaps some sections of vine with maturing seed could be ripened in a vase of water? And, then, there's potting the vines so they can be shuffled in and out of the house - here's a website showing the "kirikomizuruki" method of keeping MGs small - now, does anyone know how they prune to do this??? - http://homepage3.nifty.com/plantsandjapan/page031.html...I guess this is another one for a separate thread...

This message was edited Aug 26, 2006 10:31 AM

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

My other morning glories haven't bloomed yet, either, and I have them at lots of different locations on our 1-acre property. Some of them I even started early inside!

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

bluespiral - Karen - sections of vine with maturing seedpods can be brought indoors to allow the seed to ripen...sometimes almost ripe seed will mature on large sections of vine,whether the severed ends of the vine(s) are placed in water or not,but generally I find it is best to place the severed ends>with a sharp clean floral cut into water and placed in a sunny location...keep an eye on the actual cut and continue to remove any ends that turn brown a decay...change the water if it becomes browned/very cloudy looking and full of decay causing bacteria...rinse out the inside of the container to remove any slimey bacterial coatings...

Sometimes the vines may root and this definitely helps to keep the vine hydrated and to continue to absorb any nutrients that are dissolved into the water...,spraying and misting the vines to assist in maintaining hydration can be helpful,but this method has more of a tendency to encourage various rusts and molds to grow on the leaves...alternatively some sections of vine can be rooted and potted up...if the vine is developing alot of seedpods that are in danger of being turned to 'dead mush' by the frosts/freezes/cold temperatures>then early(!) pre-emptive rooting is a good idea>don't wait until the last minute>early rooting will encourage the vine section to root easier and allow it to get a better head start on growing/adapting...the stronger the lighting you can provide indoors>the better...

Plants that exhibit darker green concentrations of chlorophyll usually survive longer when moved indoors,because even if the plant doesn't take root (right away or at all) the higher concentration of chlorophyll usually coincides with a richer concentration of stored nutrients in the plant tissues>the plant sections having a richer concentration of pre-stored nutrients are not as dependant on new nutrients to be taken in by the roots...

Plants with a higher concentration of chlorophyll have a better>longer time period to potentially take root...

I've noticed that plants with leaves that have the darkest color green>indicating a higher concentration of life supporting chlorophyll will usually survive low lighting conditions better than plants that have a lighter color green...they will often grow in shaded conditions where plants with a lower concentration of chlorophyll may not thrive...

A higher concentration of chlorophyll enables the leaves to be more energy efficient as per amount of light received...this enables plants with higher concentrations of chlorophyll to survive and grow in shaded or other low light conditiions better than plants with low levels of chlorophyll...

The leaf parts that are the most susceptible to stress are the parts with the lowest concentration of chlorophyll and the sections with little or no chlorophyll (as on variegated leaves) are the sections to die first when subjected to stress...

I prefer plants with the darkest concentration of chlorophyll because they are overall metabolically healthier plants...

TTY,...

Ron

(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Ron - will commence rooting a few tomorrow.

Regarding growing indoors over the winter, I seem to recall that in Sweden, Janet's MGs stayed low and bushy because of the long nights (or was it long days?). Anyhoo, after the pods are harvested, do you think it would help to keep my MGs low and bushy by limiting light to just the short days of fall/winter?

kbaumle, let us know when your SOHs bloom, and I'll do the same - wouldn't it be interesting if both our SOHs bloom at about the same time - what with such a difference in our seed-sowing dates? Perhaps we'll learn something more about how MGs are affected by photoperiod.

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

bluespiral - Most of the MG's being grown are the annual species,so after the pods are harvested,annuals will be winding down for good and completing their lifecycle(s)...some of the perennial MG species are sometimes cut back somewhat as part of 'end of the summer growing season' maintenance...but generally speaking the short days of winter are all the lighting that most plants are going to be exposed to,unless a person is intending to use additional supplemental electric lighting for some reason...

Are you asking about the effect of reduced lighting similar to the short days of winter,as could potentially (by some means) be applied to MG plants in a season other than Autumn/Winter...(?)...if so,my answer would be that the short winter type of lighting as applied in the short term might help to induce flowering,but as applied long term,it would have more of a tendency to reduced growth and perhaps to make the plants spindly...there are a number of additional factors like the intensity(!) and spectrum of the light received as well as temperature considerations,nutritive and genetic factors...

My perspective is that the outcome of 'simply' mimicking a short winter type of lighting would most likely result in a predictive overgeneralization> since the effect/action of multiple modifying factors involved can produce very significant varying results...

TTY,...

Ron

This message was edited Aug 27, 2006 11:23 AM

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

One of my MGs bloomed today!!! It's huge, about 5-6" across. I couldn't get a good picture of it, because it's so windy. I don't know which one it is. What do you guys think it is?

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

kbaumle - Nice looking flower you got there...looks like Akatsuki no Umi or Akatsuki no Murasaki...with the temperature fluctuations...the flower you posted could be produced by either one...

TTY,...

Ron

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Let me check my seed packets.....

Of the ones that say anything other than 'Blue,' I have Akathukinouni or something like that, and Asuka. Could it be one of those?

Skowhegan, ME(Zone 5b)

I live in central maine and planted the end of May. I finally got blooms in late July - August, now I am getting at least 15 to 20 blooms a day, and everyone is soo....beuatifull. I'm sure you will see something soon. ~ it has been chilly and rainy here recently. I worked 8:30 to 5:30 today and when I got home my blooms were still open. Witch was a nice treat since I usually only get to see them on my morning coffee walk! ~ Sherry

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I thought they were just all late this year, but it sounds like maybe I'm wrong. I'm getting blooms on my Grandpa Otts and Heavenly Blues, but only around 5 blooms a day. I didn't fertilize at all. Is it too late to add some phosphorous and potassium? Or should I give it up for lost?

Sofie

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Okay, I found another seed packet that I used when I planted my MGs, and I believe the one I have pictured above is 'Heian no Umi.'

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/72358/index.html

Agreed?

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

kbaumle - The are alot of variations that can come from the same exact packet of seeds...the bloom you posted could be from Takkii's "Heian no Umi" as the Takii Umi tends to be more of a reddish-purple as compared to the 'Akatsuki no Umi' which tends more towards the blue spectrum...

I'm still thinking that it a;so closely resembles the Akatsuki no Murasaki
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/23731/
Akatsuki no Murasaki can look like the flower you posted when the blooms are a lighter coloration...there is alot of overlapping coloration features present in many of the different Japanese MG types...I wouldn't be too concerned about the exact name at this point...let's see if all of your blooms continue to look the same,or if the color changes as the blooming continues...

It's a nice JMG type whether an exact name can be 'pinned down' or not...

Sofonisba - Try the phosphorus bloom booster...just don't overdo it...

TTY,...

Ron

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Thanks Ron.

Sofie

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I ferti;ized my Cameo Elegance with a bloom booster and have started seeing few flowers. Plan to give it another shot this weekend.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

k, we've been without internet at work all week. When I get a chance to check in on DG, and this thread, I think I'll see a bloom of your scarlett posted... any buds?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Not yet. :-(

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, FINALLY!!! Last weekend, I got some bloomage!!!!!!! :-))))))

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I love that bright color. What a beauty you got there. :)

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Let the blooming begin! There ARE more buds?? Just gorgeous k, such a deep red! I love it. I've been babying my brugs all summer and some of them are just NOW offering their first flush (and it's very close to time to haul them into the basement) Was your Scarlet worth the wait?? We gardeners HAVE to be patient people!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

In all fairness, all of my MGs started blooming within a couple of weeks of each other, so apparently, this is how long it took for them to reach blooming stage. I'd say it was worth the wait, because the color is very different than any other MG I have or that I've ever seen. Looks like I'm going to have lots more blooms, too. I guess it just took awhile for it to get started. I planted a whole package of seeds and would you believe only TWO of them germinated??? However, if they all had, they would have taken over my garden. Compared to all the other MGs I have, the vines and foliage on Scarlett are by far and away longer, fuller, etc. It actually looks like I've got morning glory BUSHES growing on my fence! And I'm not exaggerating.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, and let me share some pictures I took of a couple more of my other morning glories today.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

And my favorite........

Thumbnail by kbaumle

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.