Tod's Dahlias for 2006 - so far!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Ooooooo....Annie! I'm drooling all over that one!!

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks, jam, I accidentally bought two Sunsets and I am most happy!

Annie, Marlene Joy is fantastic! I will put it on my list. I simply must have Encore too:

http://www.dahlias.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=79

Perhaps Citron de Cap:

http://www.dahlias.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=54

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Tod, you seem to like red ones. Here's Northlake Pride which caught my eye at two dahlia shows this summer. Very, very lacy and a nice rich red besides.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, that is quite a red one!!!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I like the yellow of Encore. Bright!

Hmm, a fascination with lacination! Yes, Annie, I do like red, but mainly I like color combinations that are stark. As soon as I get some more pictures, I will upload the Pinelands Pam that just finished blooming today, its like a fireball explosion for yellow and red.

Couldn't wait to finish the next round of newbies, wanted to post these. Here is a Blackberry Ripple group shot, along with one of the all purples. All the flowers from that area are showing up all purple:

Thumbnail by todgor

Tyler James (get your sunglasses on!)

This message was edited Oct 7, 2006 11:33 PM

Thumbnail by todgor

And a blazing fireball, Pinelands Pam (I used the blue tarp to try to improve the yellow):

Thumbnail by todgor
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I certainly like Tyler James and Pinelands Pam - can't miss those a mile away.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Very nice! I think Pinelands Pam could have stood up to any old background just on its own beauty. These dahlias and their color patterns are just too much for me. Can you imagine growing a seedling with colors and form like that? What could you possibly say when you first saw it open: "Oh, this one looks promising?"

Looks like a wonderful woodsy yard too.

Delhi, IA

The blue background really brought the bloom out, didn't it!!

And now for some more! Yes, many of mine are just blooming now, particularly the larger ones.

First up, Purple Taiheijo (this one took waay too long and didn't really open well, but I love the color):

Thumbnail by todgor

Belle of Barmera:

Thumbnail by todgor

The monster-sized Hakuyou:

Thumbnail by todgor

Jennifer's Wedding:

Thumbnail by todgor

Kenora Irene:

Thumbnail by todgor

Millenium:

Thumbnail by todgor

NOID #4 (so many shipping errors, but you can't get a bad one!):

Thumbnail by todgor

Ryn Fou:

Thumbnail by todgor

Spartacus!

Thumbnail by todgor

Another Oreti Stacy:

Thumbnail by todgor

And another Vanquisher:

Thumbnail by todgor
Chicago, IL

Ou la. How come yours are still intact? That's not fair!. :-)
Gorgeous, Tod.
Mine are all gone. I am keeping some buds to see if they'll survive any more frost.

Well, we will all get there eventually, I guess, Pitimpinai! Bad weather came close, but I guess all areas fairly close to the coast were warmer.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, lots of big dinnerplate ones. Nice.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

These are really, really nice! I love them all. How did you decide which to order? I have a rather lengthy wishlist and instead of getting it shorter and more condensed, I just added 6 from your pictures above!

Suzy

Thanks, Carol and Suzy!

Suzy, I went to the dahlia Big List and found all the dahlia sellers who had web pages, so I could peruse the flowers. I then made a list of all I liked (with pictures), and did a process of elimination to narrow it down to a number I had space for (about 60). Places included Art's Nursery, Swan Island, Aztec, and Shiloh. I have to do it again soon, though not all are ready for 2007 yet.

This message was edited Oct 16, 2006 8:02 AM

This message was edited Oct 16, 2006 8:05 AM

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Looks great Tod, your one noid looks like Ala Mode a bit. I certainly like like laciniated ones and Kenora Irene.

..........okay, I've done all that. Took me about 2 weeks, too. Right now I am at the process of elimination LOL! My list is one of the many that gets BIGGER as I eliminate. (Gotta go back to the website to see the flowers and I notice a few more I'd really like!) The one thing I don't have a handle on is how many I can realistically buy, plant in the spring and then dig up & divide & keep separate in the fall, and hold over winter to begina again every year. In other words, maintain. Oh, and I'm not sure how much room I have, either. I need to get a tape measure out.

Did you really buy 60 dahlias last year? Boy! That must have been fun waiting for the mailman everyday! Whose tubers were the best and who gives a free dahlia with your order? Hmmm, if there are spies on the forum, maybe you'd better D-mail the answers...LOL!

What you need now is a lot of fragrant lilies. I just happen to have a lot of baby lily bulblets to trade for dahlias -- one is purple and white (matches Duet & Mystery Day) , one is yellow and red, one is orange and red (these are not orange-reds, but more cherry reds) and some dark purply-pink & white of a different shape -- more like a candleabra. All Orienpets, though I also have some fragrant trumpets and regular old asiatics, too. The Orienpets I need to find a home for all get about 6 feet tall and enjoy the same soil and growing conditions as dahlias. Less watering in August, maybe. All of them are so fragrant they will perfume your entire back yard. The downside is they are really small and won't bloom until 2008. Actually, this offer is open to anybody -- bulblets now for tubers next spring.

Speaking of dahlias and lilies....and daffodils and tulips, there is a fertilizing rule of thumb for bulbous and tuberous plants you all might not know about...when the plant is actively growing UP, it needs a balanced fertilizer like 10-10-10. Two weeks before its due to stop its upward growth or gets to its full height, it's time to switch to an onion fertilizer like 5-20-20 or 6-24-24. Either of these formulations can be found at a farm supply store or farm bureau co op. In the fall, when they're being planted, they (collective they as in all bulbs, corms, tubers and other underground food storage plants) get the onion fertilizer well underneath the bulb, corm or tuber where the roots will eventualy find it, but where the fertilizer is not the first thing the roots meet when they emerge. After a decade your soil will be out of balance, so if you have it tested, be sure to let the lab know you are growing bulbous/tuberous plants, otherwise they will come back and tell you that you need more nitrogen.

Suzy

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I might take you up on your lily offer, Suzy. I love fragrant plants. Have a few lilies that smell but they are slow on coming along.

Suzy,

Yes, actually it was 62, though many got water-logged in the May-June rains. For me, it wasn't so exciting getting the boxes, as they went right in the basement for a month til I built my backyard garden. Only one farm stood out, which was Swan Island. They were the only ones who gave very generous tubers, with actual roots on them, and stalks not just eyes. I can't really say that the others were bad, but I just hate it when they stamp the tubers with numbers instead of the names.

I did order one smaller Oriental lily for the front lawn garden I'm building, I want to tackle some of the larger ones later. I wanted to go for a variety of plants, nothing too tall as it seems kinda pushy for the front yard. Do you have one of those ones with the 10" flowers? I will try my best to get the dahlia tubers stored, we'll see how many come through.

I began to realize too late what you say about the fertilizer, I fed them lots of 0-10-10 from the start, it was actually a Bonzai fertilzer. I figured my new soil should have lots of nitrogen, but this probably slowed many of them down. Later I piled on the Miracle Grow 10-10-10, and they shot up.

62! Do other people on here order that many every year? NO WAY!

That's interesting about Swan Island...I have never ordered real dahlias, just the ones from Holland that you buy 5/$10.00, or whatever, that come in clumps. In fact, it is a really good thing I found this forum before ordering -- can you imagine my surprise after buying huge clumps to pay 3x the price and one get a little single weiner tuber? I would have been shocked! It never occurred to me, either, that I wouldn't get a name on the plant. Thanks for the heads up on that one!

It's interesting to me which vendors you chose to buy from - the exact opposite from me, as a matter of fact (except Swan where I've already placed an order). I've narrowed mine down to Mingus, Christie Park & Lobaugh, for sure, plus probably Helen & Cowlitz and Connell (Les & Viv Connell, not Connell's). I love Connell's dahlias, but am not ordering from them in protest that they don't offer any information about the plants, flowers, or even bush heights on their website, but boy, do they have a slick shopping cart ordering system!

Regarding chemical fertiliers (as opposed to organic or slow release fertilizers), Nitrogen is said to move through the soil in 6 weeks, so it needs to be reapplied. It is the fastest of the 3 main N-P-K elements to move through the soil.

No, the lilies are only 8-9 inch flowers -- but many on a stem. And they also need to be staked like dahlias, and yes, I agree, tall flowers can look unfriendly in a front yard garden unless they are up close to the house or a picket fence.

Daisy, you've got mail!

Suzy

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Suzy - they will have numbers on the tubers that will be listed on your invoice as names.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hi y'all. I'm back from the frigid wasteland of the north-- brrrrrrrrr and just in time to defend Connell's Dahlias from the looks of it! LOL Suzy, If you look again you will see that many of their varieties are indeed labelled as to bloom size, color, ht of plant. I just did a hit and miss check and found a couple with no info though. Perhaps they're just now updating each flower photo with info as time allows.

Also if you click on Amorous, for example, not only will the size info come up for it, but there's a blue link, upper left of the photo that will show you all other similar sized blooms.

I didn't like the number on a tuber either, but it's pretty easy to read the invoice, find the corresponding number/name and put it on your tuber with a Sharpie. With thousands of tubers to label, I imagine the number stamp is a real timesaver- the only way to go really.

I like all the fertilizer info up above, very interesting. Onion fertilizer looks good to me.

Ah, Pooch, back in time to save Connell's reputation! I went to the website and you're right -- they added the information and they must be working in alpha order because it wasn't there 10 days or 2 weeks ago, and they haven't gotten very far yet. I guess they heard about my protest and decided to conform. hahaha. In any case, they will be back on my ordering list -- which is actually a good thing because they had a lot of stuff I would really like. It's one of those things where the punishment was hurting me more than them!

Geez, we really missed you, Pooch! No more leaving without taking a laptop with a big battery charger so you can check in!

Suzy

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I was nearly totally tech-less where I went. No internet connection, no computer, rotary phone LOL! It's like going back to the 60's! Cell phones worked though.

One thing Connell's did change is that their photos are smaller. I think Dan's Dahlias did too. It's all about bandwidth.... I really liked the larger photos so I could study every bit of every flower.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Geez, Annie, you must have been in withdrawls, LOL
I know I am if I am not around a computer somewhere away from home!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

You're right Carol: don't think for one minute I didn't want to impose on the nearest neighbors at the lake who have a connection to the internet. We even bribed them with a bonfire and appetizers and despite the fact that they are really great people, I just couldn't say "Hey, can I go quick check out Dave's Garden and my email on your computer?" LOL! I wanted to!

They get one local TV station up there, power line goes out many times a year because of all the trees lining the country road and storms. On one side of the lot you get cell phone service, down by the bonfire area not. Weird! My nephew, the official geek in the family ( works in Info Tech field,) brings his laptop so the younger generation can watch DVDs. Otherwise it's pure wilderness. No microwave! That is harsh.... We keep referring to using "the imaginary microwave Mom won't allow in her kitchen" when facing a cold cup of coffee or cooled plate of food.

We did get to go kayaking and saw an eagle fly low over the cabin, Canadian loons, mink, deer, snow flurries, but certainly not the beautiful autumn in northern Mn that we enjoyed last year: almost all colorful leaves were gone already. Can't predict those things year to year. All I know is it was very cold the first night there and I thought of my midwest dahlia friends with chilling plants facing the flurries and wind. Oh yeah, and the record setting high temps in Seattle and Portland the first days I was huddled in 12 degree windchill LOL. I was pea green with envy then, believe me, and wished to be off vacation.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL Annie, just think of all the time you are spending with your family! Time is important!
But I know what you mean at times. Sometimes you do wish you were back home in your own warm bed, LOL
But it sounds like you had it good with mother nature tho, eagles, kayaking, etc. My father loved eagles. He spent years watching them. The last time I took him around the neighborhood in the wheelchair, we were looking for the 3 eagles that always were there. We didn't see them. Too bad.

Is that the place you grew up in? In total wilderness, LOL? Tho it sounds beautiful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.