Nishiki Willow, Dappled Willow 'Hakuro Nishiki' (Salix integra)

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Nishiki Willow, Dappled Willow 'Hakuro Nishiki'
Salix integra

VanDusen Botanical Gardens - Vancouver, B.C. Canada

Thumbnail by growin
Springfield, MO

I'd like to know how you got this particular effect with the hakuro nishiki willow? I just got one for mothers day today and I'd love to hopefully achieve this look.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

This is at the botanical gardens but it is a typical look for this plant here. I think you just train it to shape but from what I've heard it grows extremely fast in the midwest whereas here it is a well behave shrub/small tree.

Irvine, KY

Hello
The way you have this tree is beautiful. I now have 3 of them. I need information about them, such as, can they be removed to another area? This picture has gave me an ideal thanks

Irwin, PA

I have this tree in my front yard. I didn't know much about it until now. I told my landscaper to put a small ornamental tree in the front of my house and this is what he chose. It is beautiful when the leaves turn white during the summer. During the Fall they have lost a lot of the white in the leaves but it is still a beautiful tree. However, it's limbs will grow in all directions if you let it. Since I did not want it to grow tall and I wanted to shape it into an "umbrella" shape, I decided to cut the limbs that way. I have been doing that all summer and it looks beautiful. I have not damaged it at all. In fact, I have been asked by several neighbors and relatives the name of it. They have not seen anything like it. It is really delicate looking but I really believe that you MUST trim it since it can get out of hand if you don't and look a little wild. I truly LOVE it!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I agree. Regular light pruning makes a big difference in the overall appearance of this plant. There are a few plants at the nursery I work at that weren't well pruned and it shows.

Mastic Beach, NY

I just bought 2 small dappled willows i never saw them before, but they caught my eye at the garden center. I had to have them, just curious when to prune and how to get that umbrella shape?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I'd start crown raising (trimming the lower branches to get the umbrella shape) from the beginning. Pruning would be in the fall or early spring but leave the very top so that it can get higher and continue removing lower branches until the desired height is achieved. You can even use a piece of bamboo and stake the plants and train one of the central branches to be the trunk.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.