SOLVED: Another Texas Native? II

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Look what I found out by a pond today. They weren't right next to the water, but up the hill a ways. As the photos show, these things are all over and in full bloom. I'd seen these *weeds* before, even played with them as a kid, but never noticed them in bloom before. Nor have I ever heard a name for them.

Then range in height from about 2' to 4' tall and some have single and some have mutiple heads.

I'll post a few different views to help get an ID, but also because they are neat looking and ya'll may enjoy the photos. :)

Can anyone ID these things?

Thanks
GD

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's one for size reference.

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

A full length shot . . .

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

The base of the plant and some lower foliage . . .

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Its a liatris of some sort--the exact variety eludes me. Look at the native's like Liatris punctata or L. pycnostachya or one of the subspecies.
Debbie

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's one that evidently got too tall and heavy and bent over, then shot more bloom shoots out the sides. I think these are females . . . the tall green *weeds* in the background are what I beleive to be the males. They are the same basic plant with identical foliage, but different and much smaller flowers.

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

This shows how many there are in the area . . . most are single stalks, but a few are multiple. The females are scattered in one area and the males are a ways away and closer together. At least that's what I think?

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin

did you see my post?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

And last but not least . . . the pond in the background :)

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

ahh ok . . . I'll have a look . . . thanks Debbie :)

Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

GD those are just the neatest things, It does look like a latris. Would you be willing to send me some seeds from them.

BTW Great pond. Love it.

Beck

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

That is a beautiful picture of the pond, GD. So peaceful !

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah . . . I've been browsing through a few of the Liatris pages, but hadn't had time to check them all out yet. It appears to be in that family for sure.

I think I should be able to get plenty of seed from these. I have no idea how they'll grow up north, but it's worth a try. Wonder if you'd need to keep them indoors over winter?

I do know these are very drought and heat tollarent, since there's been very little rain here this year and they are too far from the pond to get moisture from it. Not to mention we've had many days over 100 this summer.

I think they're pretty neat look'n myself. :)

Thanks . . . I may get some more photos tomorrow and add them in the Photo section.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

jnana . . . that first one looks pretty close . . . the color is a bit off, but of course that's likely the lighting.

Here's a closer view of the little flowers.

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

Call me weird, but I think that is just stunning!!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

lol luv . . . yeah . . . that's what I thought too as I walked upon these. It was just before sunset and I just happened to have my camera with me . . . when I topped the little hill I was like :O WOW !!!! Check theeeseeeee out!!!!!!

I couldn't wait to get back and share them with ya'll and see if I could find out what they are . . . I'm thinking I may want to transplant some into my rock garden???

They're really stunning in person. :)

Here's one more image I hadn't loaded yet. I didn't reduce this one down as much, hopefully ya'll can see the details better.

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

You didn't happen to notice any seed, did you???

Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

I agree absolutely stunning. Can I have some

Beck

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah . . . here's a close up of the first image's top section, notice how the very top is kind of faded in color and dry looking? Well I'm pretty sure that part has turned to seed. I'll check it out more tomorrow and let ya know for sure.

Sure Beck . . . I'll see about getting seeds from them . . . I don't see a problem with that. You'll need to dmail me your addy and stuff, but yeah :)

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

That is fantastic. It will look nice around my new pond next year.

Thanks ever so much. You will have to check out my list and see if any thing I have tinkles ya fancy.

Beck

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

GD..I'd love to have some also....I can send the SASBE to make it easier on you. Very kind of you to do this! I think it will be great to have them in my yard! Might even try some on my ditch bank and see how they do.

Thanks ,

Rhonda

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah I'm already planning on adding some to a few areas around here that get full sun and no water. Which is most places outside my yard on this 6 acres. . . lol

Only thing I'm not sure about is how long they are in bloom. I know I've seen these around lots of times and never paid any attention to them because they normally just look like a tall green weed.

We'll see I reckon :D

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok Rhonda . . . no problem . . . there are tons of them out here, so as long as the tops that I'm thinking are seeding - really are seeding - then we're good to go :)

Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

One man's weed, is another man's flower ;)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

:D Makes sense to me ;)

Here's the last pic I took as the sun was going down.

And with that . . . I'm call'n it a night too . . . I'll update ya'll tomorrow with the seed info and likely more pics.

Ni'tall
:)

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

Very nice way to end the nite!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

We have seeds :D

And since these look like the type that the plant releases and lets the wind take them away . . . getting them to grow should be a breeze (no pun intended . . . well ok, maybe just a little ;) )

I went out to the pond and dug up a few of these and will plant a couple in my rock garden and one or two in pots. I'm not sure if they'll survive the transplanting or not, but I should know soon enough. If anyone has any special instructions for doing that with this type plant, please advise :)

I'll add a few more photos of the root system and such. It's noteworthy to mention that these were growing in VERY DRY LOOSE sand. Therefore the soil basically fell apart around and away from the roots when I dig them up. I may need to take some water back there and moisten the soil and try some that way - if these are touchy about that sort of thing? We'll see how these do when I put them in the ground I guess.

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's what their roots look like . . .

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Another view showing the stalk as well . . .

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

A look at the soil and how it did not stay around the roots at all . . . that may not matter since these are basically weeds and most likely pretty hardy plants, but I'm not sure how touchy they are about their feet being tickled :D

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

GD did you confirm which was it? I thought that elegans was the one that fit yours the best because it has light flowers and the common name is Pinkscale Blazing Star. Also the flowers are slightly different than the rest of the Liatris species. Yours have a very dense head of flowers, it must really like the conditions in which they are growing. Here is a good link that mentions propagation
http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/plants/2002su_liatris.html

I would love some seeds too, but I don't think that they'll withstand our heat, rains and humidity.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

You can see here that I found some of these things growing in basically sandstone / rock.

Thumbnail by GD_Rankin
Lonoke, AR(Zone 7b)

Wow.....you were up and going early, GD!

The picture of the roots definately shows they were surviving in the sandy dirt, they look almost like you washed them off first! And by the looks of that bulby part, I would think they don't require much water at all.

This is going to be great with my Texas Yucca I have coming also!! My family is from Texas, and I have a Memorial Garden going for my grandparents, and will be planting a few of these there also!

Thanks so much for sharing!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Morn'n Jnana,

You're more than welcome to some seeds. It gets really hot and humid here too, so it'd be worth a try if you like these.

Thanks for the links . . . I think you may be right about the species being Liatris elegans but I'm not 100% sure. I looked at so many pics last night my eyes got blurry and needed a break. I'm reading up on them in the latest link you posted and this sounds like the right ones to me.

It also says they do well in Florida, but it also says it has a pretty narrow hardiness range, from Zones 7 to 9 . . . so you many can get them to grow in zone 10b and maybe not? Worth a try tho huh?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Cool deal Rhonda . . . they should do well for you there :) No problem . . . my pleasure :)

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks GD, I'll give them a try. I'll Dmail you so I can send SASE. I appreciate your generosity.

humid in San Antonio?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

lol Debbie . . . well it's not 100% 24/7 like it is in Houston . . . but yeah it's way humid out there now . . . if I didn't know better I would think I was in Harris County :D lol

well I was just out there visiting my dad who lives not far from Castroville, it was not humid there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.