White in September?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Is the rule no white after labor day really a rule? if I wear white pants will I be on Mr Blacks most horrible dresser list?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

If that's the case I'll be right there with you on Mr. Black's list. I have a favorite pair of white jeans that are too heavy for summer here in the desert. I wear them all winter with sweaters.

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

sigh... As long as I can remember as a little girl (I hate to tell how long ago that was...l-o-n-g-) It has been a fashion rule not to wear white after Labor Day. I begrudgingly conform every year until Memorial Day in May. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule now that they created "Winter White" that come in all assortments of knits and wools. Usually a little "off" white, these are readily accepted. I think you have to go with your gut on this one. In the South where temperatures stay warm all winter, I'd be prone to wear white, but up here in the North, it just doesn't look "right" during the winter months. I just wish they would have made the rule from say October to April, since the weather is still darn hot most often until then.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Katie Couric wore white, did you notice? I didn't see it on tv but on line!

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

She sure did! And she looked great.

I found this article from 2002 on "Ask Yahoo" and it makes perfect sense to me. If you like white...Wear it!

Quoting:
As with many customs and etiquette dictums, it's difficult to pin down the reason behind the prohibition against white after Labor Day. We searched on variations of "wear white after Labor Day" and sifted through the Etiquette and Fashion categories in the Yahoo! Directory. We managed to turn up a bit of information on the fashion dictate.
Originally, the rule was more along the lines of "Only wear white shoes between Memorial Day and Labor Day." Furthermore, it mainly applied to white pumps or dress shoes. White tennis shoes and off-white boots seem exempt, as are any shoes worn by a winter bride. "Winter white" clothing (e.g., cream-colored wool) is acceptable between Labor Day and Memorial Day too.

The only logical reasoning we could find cited temperature. Image consultant Nancy Penn suggests that because white reflects light and heat, wearing white would make you cooler in winter, and thus should be avoided. But others suggest the rule stems from a class issue. Acting Director of the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology Valerie Steele notes that in the late 19th century and the 1950s, more people were entering the middle classes. These nouveau-riche folks were often unaware of the standards of high society, so they were given specific codified rules to follow in order to fit in.

Several sites quoted a charming refrain about G.R.I.T.S. -- girls raised in the South. This bit of folklore states, "Southern girls know bad manners when they see them," and a clear sign of bad manners is wearing white shoes before Easter or after Labor Day. Because fashions in the American South can be a little more formal than elsewhere, perhaps the no-white-shoes rule came from south of the Mason-Dixon Line? Even Star Jones (an otherwise fashion-forward Southern lady) admits that white shoes "are for Easter Sunday and not the dead of winter."

We can only surmise that the point of this rule is to ensure that people only wear summer fashions during the actual summer months. The opposite probably applies as well, but people generally don't need to be reminded to avoid wearing a goose-down parka in 100-degree weather. If you live in a locale with summer temperatures year-round, we can't see the harm in wearing white shoes or a head-to-toe white outfit in October. And we promise not to tell Miss Manners.

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

I was raised with several rules like this, but the white after Labor Day (at least according to my Mother and her boarding school buddies) only applies to shoes/handbags/belts.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

shissssh, I am off the hook!!!!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Life's too short to be dictated by clothes. LOL!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

do fashion police have the authority to put me in jail?

Cardiff, ON(Zone 4a)

I figure that the best fashion accessory is confidence. With confidence you can wear anything (almost). Just think of some of the hideous things some 'fashionable' people wear. So when the fashion police come just hold your head high, smile brightly and tell them you're setting the next big trend. They'll all think they missed something and then they'll run home to put on their white - lol.

As far as the white goes, my rule is - don't wear it when you'll end up with mud all up the legs. For me that's in the spring and fall. Winter is the best because all the dirt is under a foot of snow and ice.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

More and more I find myself dressing in layers. In the hot New Mexico summer, I can wear a light gauzy outfit, then go into a restaurant where the termperature borders on Arctic and I need a sweater although it's 98 degrees outside. Same thing in winter. Dress in a cozy winter outfit, then go to church where the heat is cranked up to tropical levels and I need to peel off a layer.

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

LOL...yes we can all relate!

Don

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm no authority, but I was just recently convinced to purchase a white denim jacket in one of our nicer boutiques. The word was......white is the hot color this year and it is going into winter. I started noticing and sure enough, actresses are wearing a lot of white. The Today show had some fashion authority on just a couple of weeks ago and they asked her the "Labor Day Question". She said, other than white patent leather shoes or white eyelet, go for it!

So, anastatia, you would be a trendsetter!

Debra

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

trendsetter describes me well!!!!! not to mention a real goal of mine. . . . .will revise my resume with "trendsetter" inserted somewhere in bold letters.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Speaking of trendsetting, my favorite local dress shop is quite trendy. Owner just told me that what's coming up as hot in the new Fall line is ----- skinny black tights and mid-thigh tunic tops and sweaters! Good grief, I wore those outfits in the late 80s.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

What's next? Big hair, shoulder pads and knit leggings? Yikes! If we all look back and ask "can you believe I dressed like that?", then how does that style ever come back? Must be so the next generation has something to look back on and think the same thing!

Things I wore that have come back: platform shoes, cuffed pants, and tube tops.

Anyone remember these? Mini-midi-maxi coats (zip off to make the length desired), knickers, Betsy Johnson style 70's smocks, purses with wooden handles and cloth bags that were buttoned on so they could be changed to match your outfit, double-knit pant suits.

Debra

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I loved the 70's smocks . . .in the 70's. actually, bring them back as I am soooo tired of young girls in tight tight tops and lots of cleavage. And the double-knit pant suits didn't need ironing.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

I agree anastatia! I made my own clothes in jr high school and made lots of smocks. They were cute with big patch pockets in contrasting ginghams and calicos. It's hard to understand teenage and even pre-teen girls wearing provocative outfits with low riding jeans and cropped tops. Am I just getting old?

Hey, by the way......are you wearing white?

Debra

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

does a white sweatshirt count?

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

sure! see.......you're a trend setter!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Fashion seems to change every 20 years or so. Everyone thinks they've invented something new. It just keeps going around. I love the ''new'' Capri/ pedal pushers my Mom used to wear in the early 50's.

I finally got a midi length coat last fall. I never could afford a maxi, but I wanted one! I wore a lot of peasant tops with the puffy sleeves. And the neat bellbottoms that just drug the ground in back.

Sally

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

It is almost time to start a new thread; White in October? Bellbottoms or any pant that drags just drives me batty. Esp. in this climate where it rains 9 months out of the year.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

In the 70's, long pants were cool, laugh! And when it rained, they got even longer!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol I was raised in the DEEEEEP South and other than sneakers I couldn't bring myself to wear white shoes after Labor Day...I've tried...then I'll go change em. LOL they brainwashed me!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I am w/ you, araness! except, I was raised in the north by southern folk!!

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

If it is after Labor Day, I specifically wear white just DYING
for someone to say something.

Ah, but you see, they don't tell you to your face, they are
too busy talking behind your back about a silly fashion rule
designers came up with to get women to buy more of their
clothing.

Pfft to the rule.

Wear what you want. If my shoes don't match my clothes,
I'm sure I'll live another day.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Amen Wuvie!

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm in the deep South, Ga and one of our ladies dress shop owners said that white is always in fashion. I go with the weather and if like today it is 75 I may be wearing a white pair of slacks or "capri" pants. Pedal pushers or what ever you want to call them. What goes around comes around. Elaine

Lansdale, PA(Zone 7a)

I have long been a fashionista....If you are confident, you can pull off anything....(hint)...Paris Hilton. It is all in you. I wouldn't wear a white pair of shoes in the fall or winter, but them again I rarely wear white shoes anyway. but I have a white pair of leather pants that are to awesome. I will wear them anytime of the year. No one ever says anything bad at all. As the model world would say "give it to 'em"...Be confident with all that you wear. I have a white jacket I plan to throw on with some jeans this weekend.

New York, NY

Hey, if its warm, made for winter, and it's white and ofcourse, it looks good...then the rules can be broken.

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

When I was a kid, people used to pack away their summer clothes. If you saw someone wearing summer clothing in winter, it meant they were poor, at least that's what my mom told me.

But now days, people even here in okla. wear shorts and flip-flops in Nov. and Dec. when the weather is warm enough. Seems to not matter so much what is proper, but what is most comfortable. Of course, I'm talking just casual......... to the store, to the mall, etc.

My mom would have thought even that was sooooooo foo-foo. Times have changed. It was a "dress-up" occasion to go "downtown" to go shopping. All the department stores and dress shops used to be downtown too. haha

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I remember those days, PeggieK. We lived about 40 miles from the big city and there were 2 lane hiways so the trip took maybe 1+ hr. Today, 30 min. But we dressed up. Remember my dear mother wearing gloves and hat.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Here in New England the White Rule holds true. However, WINTER WHITE is considered appropriate. White wool works...white/cream sweaters...all okay. If I lived where it was warm in the winter...this dumb rule would be out the window!!!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Oh yes, the hats and gloves and lovely flowered handkercheifs. And the ladies wore their "nice" dresses.......rather than their "house dresses", to go downtown. Reminds me of the movie "The Great Gatsby", ......... what an era.

Gardener, you are right about the climate. I think it pretty much dictates what is acceptible now days. We have had unusually warm weather into fall and even winter the last couple years. Seems anyting goes. But once the really cold sets in, yes it's Winter-white and white wool here too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.