Gardening with Texas Native Plants & Wildflowers, part 13.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

This thread is continuation of parts 12-11-10- 9- 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

To reach the other theads click on this link http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/640763/

Hello Everyone,

The people on this thread are interested in discussion, seed and plant sharing, and learning in general about native plants and wildflowers.

We are dedicated to plant conservation and love to demomstrate what can be done with the native plants that have been ignored by the nurseries in favor of the exotics. Many of the plants in our yards are native and we are always looking to improve. We are sure there are others out there doing the same thing and loving it as much as we do. Please let us talk about what you are doing and what you have accomplished.

We hope to hear from all you dedicated gardeners. Let us have some fun.

Sincerely, Josephine.

This message was edited Sep 21, 2006 8:48 PM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the new addition, Josephine. We pokey dial-up folks are grateful.. :) Nice photos too! Here is a photo of my S. Herbacea taken this past Spring when it bloomed for the first time in the garden. Sort of strange that it would just show up wild out here in what use to be a cow pasture, now my backyard..lol.

Lee, if you haven't explored Big Bend country yet...you definitely should! And its incredibly close...if ya think about it. And soooo many native plants and animals to enjoy and photograph. :) I still have a "Horse Crippler" cactus that I picked up out there as a child in 1975. I've had it in the ground...in pots...in the ground again...and back in a pot where it has been since 2002...lol...The land out there is breathtaking.... :) A great place to "recharge." :)
Melanie

Linda, this is the little Lindheimer's Morning Glory that you gave me, it finally bloomed and it is so pretty!
The plant.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Josephine...I love the shape of how it is growing on that stick! Just beautiful.. :)
Melanie

The leaf so pretty.

The closed bud.

The almost ready to open bud.

And the beautiful sky blue flower. Thank you very very much, I will pass it along to the people around here.

Thank you Melanie, it worked out really well.
I hope to go to the Big Bend some day too.
Josephine.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

beautiful..! I'm almost positive that I spotted some on the roadside yesterday. It had nothing to cling to...but was laying flat on the ground. The bloom looked incredibly similar.......I may have to go back and investigate! :)
Melanie

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

You should....it really is...............heavenly :)

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Melanie - do you suppose cattle may have munched on
the Danglepod (S. herbacea) and "re-located" some seed...sometime in the past...or perhaps a bird? Interesting how that can happen... Nature's way of moving a plant to new ground...via an animal of some sort or flood or wind.
Ahhhh....Big Bend camping adventures will certainly be something I will be thinking about 'til I get to go. The DW & I use to explore & camp a lot....and my favorite time for that is rapidly approaching....Hmmmmm I hear the rumblings of a brain storm! :~) I fully understand what you mean by recharging....I do my best recharging
out in natural environments.... my garden included!

Josephine - Thank you for starting this new thread!

The S. drummondi close up was super. If I were to try & imagine what a lemony yellow to peach colored wisteria would look like....that would be close. Thank you for sharing! (You too, Melanie)

I'm curious about the Lindheimer's Morning Glory - where can it be found in the wild? It's a beautiful flower!
Good luck, Melanie,...hope it is a LMG just waiting for you....be sure to collect enough seed for the RU :~)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Lee....that is a mighty interesting idea...of how that darn plant ended up there. My huge project this past Spring was pulling up bermuda grass pallets, by hand no less...! And laying gardening soil and mulch over this hard, hard clay soil that we have...loaded with tons of rocks. It showed up one day, a tiny seedling that I watched and nurtered right after laying the mulch down. So perhaps it was in the bag already? But if I remember correctly, I used pine chips from East Texas...sooo...who knows..lol
(I'll keep a look-out for that vine) :)

Grab your camping gear and head on out there soon...! To Big Bend I mean.. :) October is a great time to go...alot cooler tho late March is a great time too. Its incredibly isolated...in the park itself....and you definitely have a huge pick of great trails...from beginners to more advanced terrains. My honey from Boston has never seen that part of Texas...and is curious. For me....I need a good soul cleansing out there....out of the big city. :)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Mornin' all.. :) I was out and about this early morning, with my digi cam of course, lol...and found this little lovely growing next to the fence, completely wild. I've seen them quite a bit in neglected fields and roadsides, lots, etc...but never knew the name of them...and so happy that it decided to make a home in my rock garden. :) Anyone know the true name?
Melanie

Melanie, it is Silver leaf Nightshde; here is a link.

http://www.wildflower2.org/NPIN/Plants/Detail.asp?Symbol=SOEL

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

I have GOBS of that... it came up in the grass and I have let it grow. I think it is pretty. If/when you pull it up or anything be VERY carefull.... it bites back!

I think it is lovely too, and so hardy, I love plants that are easy.

Rowlett, TX(Zone 8a)

I second and third what has been said about Big Bend. In springtime (late April), it is a birdwatching mecca. I've been 4 times and have already made reservations at the Lodge for next April. It is a special place indeed.

Carla

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

I'm glad you like the morning glory, Josephine! When I was taking courses at UTSA, there they were back of one of the buildings. Sometimes I'd go out of my way to walk by them in the mornings when they were likely to be blooming. After all, if the wildflowers were blooming, all was right with the world!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I agree, Carla... :) Such a truly wild space....

Isn't it amazing when we really stop and look closely at the "weeds" that grow wild and unnoticed in our midst? Until then, we miss the details until we just simply halt our steps and take a look.. :)
Melanie

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you again for that ID, Josephine. :) Don't you just love that websight? I'm thinking of eventually getting married out at the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center.. :)
Melanie

You guys have some really pretty stuff! Oh, here's another of my late bloomers. Kidney Wood, blooming again.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Very pretty, Linda!

Perhaps ya'll can help me figure something out here...lol..because I'm perplexed at this point...lol. This past Spring, I bought a "blue aster", labled such on the pot...and it was a beautiful bloom that showed off for me. Well....eventually, the blooms stopped coming..and the plant itself got taller and more ganglier. All of a sudden...I started having these little mini daisy looking blooms all over it. Now how did that happen? lol...Now it resembles a Mexican Devil-Weed...instead of the Aster that I originally planted. I know its the same plant..but how can the blooms change so dramatically?... : / Any idears?
Melanie

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Now my plant is covered in these "mini daisies." Or its now a Mexican Devil-Weed, Spiny Aster?

Well, I don't know what happened to your original plant, TxT, but that second pic looks like a whole other plant! It could be a Mexican Devil-Weed. Does look a bit like that one. There is a big colony of that across the street from my place near the creek., so I know what it looks like. It is starting to bloom right now and has spread out to form a fairly large colony over time.

Melanie, i hope you do get married at thr Wildflower center, it would be lovely.
That second aster is not the first one for sure, not only the flower, but the leaves are different too.
Josephine.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

We should have adopted Camomile by now...it is such a happy plant here in Texas. I love growing it.

Nice mini daisies txturquoize, the aster is a pretty little flower.. as an accent with cut flowers too, like babies breath, and even camomile.

This message was edited Sep 22, 2006 4:23 PM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

But Josephine, why is it growing from the original plant? lol..thats what I don't understand. I thought that perhaps it was a second plant that had come up in the middle of the original one...but it is all attached. I checked...poking around and tugging...with the original blue aster all squat and looking the way that it is suppose to...and then alot of those branches turn into this devil weed. ??? Ok...perhaps I have a miracle goin' on out here....lol They both seem to be asters...but it turned into something else? lol, I just don't know. *shaking head*
Melanie

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

TxTurqoize--that looks like a Stoke's aster to me. The purple one at 3:25 pm.

I swear I've been looking and looking at these top 2 photos for this fellow Texan who wants some help over on the invasives forum--yes, guilty of lurking again--just curious as to what was going on over there these days...I sure wish the flowers were open a bit more. The second one is a purple one, it should be easy. Ya'll up to a challenge? I've had a rather "grueling" and "emotional" day at work today and my minds not up to par.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/650356/

Debbie

This is another lovely plant blooming in many places now Snow on the Mountain,
Euphorbia marginata, this one was growing in my friend's garden, isin't it beautiful?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/221

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's a shot of a few of my Lycoris radiata in bloom now.....announcing the beginning of fall!

Josephine - does the Euphorbia marginata produce that much foliage/flowering
when cultivated - what I mean is,...compared to the ones I see out in the field...
which seem to be less lush. It is beautiful....and that was a great close up!

This message was edited Sep 24, 2006 11:04 AM

Those are really beautiful Lee, and the mexican petunia is very pretty next to it.
Normally the Snow on the Mountain doesn't get that big in the wild, but it makes up for it in quantity, I have seen some fields that are gorgeous, the ones in my friends yard get to be 4 feet tall and vey full.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Nice photos, Lee and Josephine.. :)
Melanie

Nice radiata Lee.
Snow on the Mountain does get fuller for me (we have more rain) but it and the frostweed both blew over in the wind last night from "top-heaviness". Got the seed first though, so it'll be OK. I just cut the frostweed back and the snow-on-th-mountain is an annual. At least its a lot cooler down here. This is the first significantly cooler day we have had. But the wind just won't stop. I bet its howling up Dallas way.

I wish I could enlarge your pic's Lee and Josephine but I guess Dave's is having problems, well try again later.

I just past by a yard on the way to Walgreen's and a house up for rent (grass overgrown--but not too bad in front) was just covered with Zephyranthes citrina's (native to Yucatan). I sure hope a lawn service doesn't come by there soon. They had them blooming all under the shrub's too. I may have to grab a friend and go "seed snatching" in a couple or three weeks.

edited to add: very nice pics now that I can see them!

This message was edited Sep 24, 2006 4:23 PM

E. marginata can get taller...I've seen it as tall as a person, in spite of what the books say. In fact, I saw one today almost my height. It will branch more and probably bloom more if you pinch it back slightly a time or two as it grows up. And if it's growing too tall too soon, that should be one way to keep it shorter, prune it back. It prefers full sun.

Boerne new zone 30, TX(Zone 8b)

Aw... if you cut down the frostweed you will not see the show it gives on the first frost! That is what I LOVE about it.

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

I collected some seeds this weekend from an island on Possom Kingdom lake. I forgot to take a pic of the plant and have no idea what it is. It looked like a milkweed and had pink flower clusters. Here is a pic of the seeds. If anyone has any idea what this plant is I would be sooo happy if you told me.

Well, I am not sure, but I don't think it is milkweed. It could be Camphor weed, but I am not sure, here is a link; http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54337
Josephine.

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

Josephine,

Boy your good!! I am sure this is it. Its makes since I found it on an island. Thank you so much!
Brandy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.