Merremia tuberosa At 4 weeks

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Here it is again Ron thought you might want a look . Am i right in thinking that this wont bloom till its 18mnts to 2 years? regards Paul

Thumbnail by phicks
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

mine just turned two and didnt bloom. asked a friend in hawaii about it and they said up to five years but the 3rd year is usaully when they start.

Ron if you know a faster way to make this thing bloom let me know too.

a word of advice if you cut it back to like keep the runners down it grows twice as much. mine right now is fighting my wisteria for space. mine is huge.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

how does it do in the winter?

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

mine dies back and i cut it to about 2-3 tall. it produces an underground tuber if protected enough from the cold. i usually pile mine with pine straw once it dies off and starts getting cold. it also likes alot of water during the growing season.

but be careful as its listed in some southern states as invasive.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

mine also thrives on neglect too. if i dont water it the thing still grows. the reason i leave some of the stalk is to give the new growth something to climb on and remeber where its at. also i had this year some leaves show up on the old stalk. but most come from the underground tuber it forms.

this plant can take neglect or love and still grow either way. just give it plenty of room. if i get a chance tommorow i will take my monsters pic. hehe

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

The volcanic soils on Hawaii are very rich in minerals as well as Nitrogen from the humus...the tropical areas where Merremia tuberosa has naturalized are also very rich in macro and miconutrients...

This plant flowers when it senses that the light and temperature are 'right',but,like many long lived tropical perennials > it waits until it has a well developed large storage root until it will feel 'safe' enough to invest energy into producing flowers and seeds...

I would feed it all of the nutrients to try and fatten up the root sooner...

TTY,...

Ron

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Look four threads back, and see if this is what you're talking about.

Thumbnail by edric
Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

edric - Yes,the plant you are showing growing up the tree is Merremia tuberosa...

TTY,...

Ron

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.