inside morning glory

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is my baby that I started outside and brought into my office last week. I just can't go all winter without a MG to brighten my day. I have two full spectrum lights over it, but the temps in the office are 70-72. I don't know if that will be warm enough to get blooms. What do the rest of you think? Anybody elso growing indoors?

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure on the temps for blooming. I would think they would have to be higher and the lights, still brighter..... Maybe Ron will see your post.. Watch for spider mites. I've only grown them indoors till it was warm enough to set out. Looks pretty cool sitting there on your desk..

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

baolvera - I really like the homemade 'Japanese' style trellis that you made from a few squares of the green vinyl garden fencing...looks great(!)...

and your mentioning

"I just can't go all winter without a MG to brighten my day."

Obviously a True(!) devotee...

The temperatures you mention should be warm enough to enable blooming,but how the plant will respond to the exact type of lighting that you have remains to be seen...

Let's see how it does...if it seems to grow well...great...if not,then you might want to think of some form of additional lighting supplement(s)...

Looks like you're off to a very good start(!)...

TTY,...

Ron

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Nice picture on the wall!! - Arlan

I can't remember if this seed was a pink, purple, or milky way....so it will be a suprise when it blooms! One of the full spectrum lights is 27watts quad flourescent bulb and the other is an 18" 15watt full spectrum flourescent. They are VERY bright!

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Very nice set up there! Try putting the container near a window that gets natural light. It might be all it needs to flower up, with the short days of winter and all. Just a thought.

Joseph

Brooksville, ME(Zone 5a)

I have great luck growing my Morning Glory's inside. I have a basement that has southern exposure and has an entire wall of windows and a glass door. Here in Maine our growing season is so short. I really marvel at some of neighbors that I see on DG that have an endless variety of tender annuals that are outside.

Thumbnail by fairyhunter
Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

I like how you have the JMG in a hanging planter, great idea!

Joseph

Here is the latest update on my "inside" MG project. The vine is taking off, but is fighting me at every turn. I am trying to get it to spiral around the trellis and all it wants to do is go UP. Some of the new leaves looked a little puffy so I wiped for spider mites. I gave it a little african violet soluble plant food when I watered it. I have read in some of the threads that indoor grown MG's may not have a lot of foliage but do bloom. I'm hoping this one will get some foliage if I feed it a little. It seems happy where it is...

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Fairyhunter, lovely flower and leaves..

Jackie

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

No No No No No .. do NOT feed a morning glory. All you get is foliage if you do! I learned that the hard way many moons ago, as have a lot of other people!

X

Good advice! I thought the lack of indoor foliage might be helped by a little food. I won't add any more...

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Look at it this way .. the plant puts more energy into making flowers than leaves.

X

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

I'd like to clarify something about the useage of certain words and terms frequently used on the forums and elsewhere...

The terms 'fertilizer','food' and 'nutrients' all refer to groups of many different substances better referred to as Macro and Micro nutrients and only one of the macro nutrients that sometimes delays flowering is excessive levels of Nitrogen...

Macro nutrients such as Phosphorus and to a lesser extent Potassium are often bloom stimulating...

Different growing medium macro and micronutrient ratios may have different effects in different environments...and some of the MG's that originate from areas with very high nitrogen levels may require more nitrogen than MG's that are more adapted to lower nitrogen soils...

Thought I should mention that...

TTY,...

Ron

It is interesting that the MG vines I got the MOST seeds off of this summer were grown in a large pot that contained Miracle Grow for soil. I recall that the bag said it contained time-released plant food that would last three months. I don't remember what the nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium ration was, but the MG's liked it. I got very few leaves and mostly blooms and seeds, but that could also be because they were grown in a pot.

Here is the updated plant, a little over two weeks later. It has reached the second rung of the lattice. There are a few flower buds next to the leaves and I am hoping they will continue to develop.

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

They look good! Your morning glory looks like she will make it just fine.

I`m flattered you liked my pictures good enough to put them up on the wall. Thank you. I`m so glad to add to others enjoyment of these flowers. :)

This message was edited Oct 19, 2006 6:13 PM

Your photos make my day! I look at them and dream of blooms (next summer).

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Very nice! I look forward to seeing your blooms!!! I grow Snail Vine and Passi's indoors...maybe now I will try an MG - just to see!

Robertsdale, AL(Zone 8b)

Wow! Your plant looks great. Got my fingers crossed for you and the developing buds!

I like you "mulch"!

Arlan

Here are more blooms from the inside MG at home, that gets artificial full spectrum light and light from the window.

another one

another, after being open all day, and I mean from sun up to sundown. Notice the color shift!

Now here is my "desk" MG that gets ONLY full spectrum artificial light. It is a very different plant. The stems are more delicate and the blooms look a little anemic, but it is still blooming.

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

Love that purple! Nice looking vines there, and the fashion pebbles are interesting in the last picture!

Joseph

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Hopefully your snails and passi will do as well for you!!!

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

Go Man Go (!)...

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Way to go, baolvera!! Luv the color! I want to start some seeds soon but not sure how soon....lol!

fairyhunter great little basket and luv the color on yours to!

Does anyone do the pinching method that the Japanese do?

:) Donna

Brooksville, ME(Zone 5a)

Donna

I have always pinched back the morning glory plants that I keep inside to keep them from getting too big. Keeps them neater looking. Seems to even make them fuller.

Teresa

I have not had to pinch back yet. I just keep training them around and around. I guess if I pinch back I would have more stems to keep track of. If they stop blooming, I will try pinching back.

Doing the happy dance this morning. This baby blooms inside at my desk, entirely grown under artificial light!

I am so encouraged at growing them indoors, I just ordered a 400watt grow light. This one is growing under a small 27watt desk light.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Way to go!! Very pretty!!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Gorgeous bloom.

Jackie

TAYLOR, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful!

Wilmington, DE(Zone 7a)

You have elephant ears sized leaves on that plant! Wow looking great!

Joseph

Nice double bloom this morning on it. Total of four blooms at once this morning.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful! Great shot!!

Scottsdale, AZ

I couldn't wait, so I planted two seeds of the pink swirl yesterday. Today one has sprouted and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I want to try one as an indoor MG over the winter months, inspired by your success. Mine is sitting under a plant bulb also, so maybe....

Best of luck with youir venture. They are easier to grow inside than I ever imagined!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.