GRITDIG Part Five

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Carol how 'bout if I come over and you can get on my shoulders and then take a pic of it? No more breaking those branches! LOL

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL Mendy, you are so so funny!
But you are right. I just look at them now. Ain't going to touch that darn tree again until I see the purple of its eye, LOL

LOL! Well, when you do, I want to come over to see it for real too!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I had a close look at mine today, there are two nodes just above half way up that have side shoots from both sides about 1/2" long, and they are on the two biggest stems. It is a possibility yet.........they have forecast a slight dropping in temperature for a few days, nights down to 6C (43F), then it should rise again by the end of the month. This is warmer than usual for this time of year, I have know it be very mild until well into December, that would secure flowers!

Look........how many weeks from this????

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Janet, I don't want to burst your bubble, but I don't think those nodes are them. Unless you get some great weather, they won't grow that fast.
But I may be wrong.
The newer shoots that have the buds on them are up fairly high. The lowest one, of course, the one I broke, :( , but it was still at like 5' tall.
So we shall all see how this fall progresses.............................................
Is to be warm to low 70's this weekend and then rain on Monday up to high mid 50's so.....................

Mendy, of course, you are welcome anytime. Bring the boys and we can look at the garden and then go over to the NA park??? Will be home mostly all day today after farmers market the morning..................... and of course, all day long tomorrow will be in the yard too.....................

Ye but Carol, mine is quite tall, and just over half way up is at least 6' up! it's grown another brick tall, so is about 136.5", or nearly 11.5 feet. I think any side shoots high up would have to produce flowers (if given the chance!)

Not getting temps in the 70's, today was lovely, I was in short sleeves potting on. Forecast days around 14C, 57F. You're probalby right though, not enough heat, but we shall see!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

It was a very, very nice day here today. I am not sure on the temp. but I was in short sleeves this afternoon too. Was a great day for working in the garden. I did cut down a lot of dahlias that had stopped blooming and had brown/dried up stems. Either dug them or mulched them real good for the winter!
Wow, your tree sure is tall. I have no way on figuring out how tall mine is. I may try the metal measuring yard stick and see if I can get even close on a number.
I will post a few more pics to show a few things. This picture shows you how tall it is according the the house behind. Keep in mind behind the purple dahlias there in the picture is where the white posts are and they are 50" tall so...................

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

This kind of shows how the branches are that have the blooms on. They are kind of on their own really

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Sorry about this picture being unfocus but it was windy today so it was hard to get a good pic of the bloom, up close too with zooming it up close.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Ha ha- Even I can see those buds! I think you've developed more buds overnight with our nice weather. 'The bluest skies you've ever seen' might have been in Albany OR today, but it was very nice in Seattle too! Both Mt Baker and Mt Rainier out in their white crowned glory against the blue skies.

You be sure and let us know if you see petals opening Carol. I took a look at my two growth tips and wondered if the new pod is another set of leaves, or could it be a little bud????? I will only have time to get on the roof and check on Monday.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh my goodness, Annie! Be careful on that dang roof. Can't have you with a broken leg/arm when the dahlias still need digging, LOL LOL LOL

But really, am interested to see if you do have buds!!!

Oh, my favorite mts. of all. Rainer and Mt. Baker, sigh............................. I miss them............................ Rainer is my most favorite tho....................... its ice cream cone shape.........................Baker is my most favorite place to be tho...................... Dad's ashes are spread up there now...................................

We had a great day here, very very blue skies too..........................
Is to be warm now until Tues so.......................shall see..................hope to see those blooms...................

Carol all my dahlias are making a new lot of buds and new growth, probably more than before. The weather has been perfect for them, we're having showers mostly just as it falls dark or early in the morning. Perfect!

You look to have loads of side shoots with flowers on!

I think Poochella's D.i. must be at least as tall as mine is, I don't think you will find them on the top new shoot (yet), it looks like they make on side shoots first.

Hey Carol, I think you have been giving yours flowering hormones! (if there is such a thing)

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL Janet, I wish.
No, I just gave it water and some fertilizer early on in the season. Like 3x.
It just must have liked its spot it is growing in maybe. That fence is like 4' behind so maybe that helps hold in the heat? But come this winter, it can be like a wind hole there tho. The wind just whips thru that ditch. So am not sure how it will do going thru the winter. I ended up cracking some of my drip irrigation parts that were exposed there in that area so..............................
Having rain at dusk or at nite sounds great. I like that. I bet your dahlias have liked the cooler but wet weather tho.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

OK, you guys, I have sitting here quietly gloating and thinking how can you get buds, Miss Carol, I was so green with envy. My Di has been in its location for two years and what is going on? That dang thing is catching up to the birch tree next to it, it is now taller than when I first started this post. When you first showed us your buds, Carol, I searched my tree for any thing resembling yours. Nada, zip, zero nothing. But I haven't looked for a couple of weeks and now today , I just couldn't resist searching the darn thing again and ya know I think I got BUDS, who hoo, but not nearly as far along as Carol's. Janet, I noticed those same little things on the bud joints. I just wonder if we had a long enough season if that just very well might be the beginning of buds. I only noticed those little side shoots on the upper half of the tree. Tonight is going to be clear and I nervously await the morning to see if we get a killing frost. My regular dahlias looks kind of sick but I picked a huge bucket full of blooms for a friend's wedding on Friday.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh goodie, Joann, hope you do have some blooms!!!!
I want a buddy with buds, LOL
Hey, good joke, huh???? LOL

Anyways, sorry for being silly here, but I really do hope you do have buds.
Yes, it is to be clear here too but only down to like 41 degrees tho.
The weather report had said rain on Tues but now nothing for this week. Can't believe it! Not that I want rain but................let's get real................... I haven't seen such a great, nice fall since I have lived here for over 20 years. In 1993, it was a nice year but..................this year????????

So we shall see what this week brings us all................................. to be continued..........................LOL

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I got no stinkin' buds. I got no stinkin' side shoots. It's 35 degrees outside and I got no stinkin' optimism. But I do have a really tall D. Imperialis. I don't anticipate having time to measure it, but will try before it freezes. It looks really chilly right now.

Congratulations Joann! I hope it doesn't freeze for you down there- you've waited so long to get buds, it would be icing on the cake to see a bloom. You too Carol.

I agree Carol, one of the best summers and fall I can recall here in 26 years.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I hope so too, Annie, but we get a little colder here than the cities and we are so close to the foothills of the Cascades. My dahlia imperialis also has some broken limbs and one of the really tall shoots broke off too in that wind we had last week. But the tallest shoot is still stretching heavenward.

You know I am rethinking digging it. I would love to give my gardener daughters starts and see how many starts there really are down in there. I haven't decided for sure. I would be afraid I might damage it too if I dig it.

I heard on the news last night that we are supposed to be getting some freezing temps in the next few days.

Lenjo, if you have some new shoots coming from the bottom you can still take them off and grow them. I had 4 new ones grow, 3 survived and rooted when I took them off, there was another 4 growing, I took the 2 biggest, the 3rd just a few days ago, it was growing quickly, the other one not moving yet. So from the original stems I took off, and new growths, I have 10 new plants. I will perhaps bring the youngest ones inside when it gets colder, risk the bigger ones in the shed.

Pooch, is that 35F in the daytime? Not good! Perhaps the house will shelter it for a while?

Good to see you upbeat Carol! Buds are up-beaters!

The good season seems to have been around the globe, but I do remember the first year I was in this house, 1998, was very mild until December 10th, no fires until then, and it warmed sufficiently from beginning of March to not need any more. Last winter was 6 months of fires. If we had a mild winter like the previous to last one, 4 frosts to -5C, my south wall just MIGHT protect it!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Good idea on the house as a shelter for DI Janet. But bad news: I was counting on the hot air from my dryer vent, which exits the house only feet away from the whiskey barrel growing the dahlia tree, to provide some heat or temperature moderation in colder temps. I've run a load of wet jeans 3 times and they're just as wet as when coming out of the washer- so I think my dryer is shot! Major bummer.

BUT- hold onto your hats for breaking news LOL... my camera battery is charging and I will post updated photos as soon as it can be done.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Janet, how do you root your dahlia shoots? Some rooting hormone in what medium? Bottom temperature or in the house? I would be curious ; maybe it is something I should try.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Okay tell me what you think. I summited the roof today LOL in search of the elusive bud.

Here's what I first saw on yet another wonderful sunny day: I would guess easily 3-4 ft past the top of the eaves. Still haven't measured from the soil its grown in. I really don't like being on the roof dabbling with photos, but I was on a mission!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

This made me a bit dizzy, but so pretty with our flag.
Pity I had to steal half the flag pole to help measure D. imperialis earlier this summer and still haven't returned it to its rightful place...

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I carefully remembered not to put too much pressure or torque on those delicate branches: thanks for the warning Carol! But I couldn't mess around too much because I'm right on the edge and D imperialis is a leaner: leaning away from the roof, the little monster!

here's what I found: what do you think?

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I'll tell you what I think: it's a bud! a bud on each growth tip thingamajig.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

My side shoots are teeny, but I think the ones up top have little budlets forming too, even though they're only two inches tall.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Mendy, I hope you're wrong on the freeze! I can't let the DI perish to a frost here when I've waited so long to see it grow..... Getting colder every night now, but the days- man oh man- you'd think it was late spring in the afternoons.

Janet, the 35 degrees was first thing this morning, and I meant to check how warm it got but forgot (I was on the roof basking in the heat LOL) I would guess it reached 50 or low 50's but not much more. Certainly not a heatwave, but nice.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh my goodness, am so glad you are safe and sound, Annie!!!
What a risky kid you are, LOL
But it sure looks like buds to me.
So finally you got some buds up there in WA!!!!
I am so glad for you. So lets hope the weather this week will hold and get those buds to open up.
Nice pic with your flag!
Yours sure has grown so much since it is so tall compared to the house now!

Lenjo, I just cut the stems with some woody base where it comes off the main stem, they all have it, and it won't damage the plant. Just put it in a pot with a good compost mix a few inches deep, water and I leave them in a shady spot on the floor in the greenhouse. Even now it's getting cooler they root, it depends on your own weather and if you have a greenhouse, mine only gets morning sun if we have it. You could try bringing some inside if you can give them some reasonable light and some warmth, even bottom heat, try anything, the shoots will only get frozen anyway.

Pooch, now you just had to have buds didn't you! That only leaves me without buds! If it's supposed to be shortening days that prompt them, it may be that with being a little further north, am I? at 54 degrees latitiude, the days are not short enough, yet. Or it could be that my plant is a younger one, even if newly planted yours are all off older wood. I think it will take more than a week for them to open, the weather propects don't sound good. You will have to build a little cover to put over them! I can see a post attached in the middle to your roof edge, another flag on the other side, with a tent hanging over. Just how far does one go to protect a precious D.i.????

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

FAR! I'll go FAR to protect D Imperialis, Janet. Is your house two story which would make it really terrifying to climb up and check the top of your tree? Have a tall ladder? Or a good zoom lens? I've been watching the two tips where new leaves would endlessly appear, but lately they looked a bit pudgy, different.

We're at latitude 47 here and altitude 800 ft which makes it colder faster this time of year. All I can do is wait and see what happens. Oh I so want that photo of Dahlila Dog LOL.....

Well Annie, I just checked our weather on Yahoo and channel 6 weather.....neither one of them say freezing temps.....they are saying low 40s. Apparently channel 9 is the only one who thinks we will have freezing temps. I have to admit I was secretely hoping for freezing so I could get my dahlias out of the ground and be done with them. I know, I'm terrible. LOL

Since we're comparing......we are latitude 44 and about 300 ft. altitude.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Looks like next weekend will be the only sunny days in the near future here. Rain, rain, and more rain for us here in the 'north.' You could dig up your dahlias anyway Mendy. But I'd wait for nicer weather. Glad I got clumps ready to go in the garage rather than have to go out in the pouring rain right now. Better get at it.....

Pooch, yes it is 2 story, I couldn't get on the roof but there is a higher bank where I take pics from. I can see the top, today I could see a side shoot in the top leaf axil looking like it will grow, but only just beginning.

I remember dr don saying about the flowering being triggered by shortening days, it is native to Mexico and down into Sth America in the cool mountains. The further north you get, the longer the days, but that reverses for winter so who knows, it is a rapid daylight decline and if the frosts stay away I could just be lucky.

You can find your 10 day forecast for any location on AOL weather, just put it in the box at the top

http://uk.weather.com/weather/local/UKXX1087

There was ice on the windshield of my van this morning. I just might be digging them soon. ;o)

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yep, me too. I had ice on the windshield and the mint compost had a nice white frost on it too.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Real Ice? Not just a light misty moisture? You guys got colder than here. I could see my breath on the way to the barn this a.m. but that was it. Yesterday we had a very rare clap of thunder! Just one. How weird.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

NO, I gave up my spot in the garage for my son's car last nite and what a mistake. Long story!
I had to scrape my windshield and I was pissed at him, LOL
I tried the windshield wipers but no deal. Had to get out that dang ice scraper!!! Need my garage back tonight. So I moved his car out when I got home from work, LOL

One clap of thunder? That is very strange.

Yep, real ice. It rained yesterday so there was water on the car last night. One clap of thunder is weird.

Good for you, Carol! He can scrape his window tomorrow. LOL

Never mind about the ice on the car Carol, how is that D.i.????????

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.