GRITDIG Part Five

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL Janet, you know your priority, don't you? LOL
I have looked at my dahlia tree each day. Just gazing at it hoping I see the purple of its eye, LOL
But it seems to be doing fine so far.
Today it is about the same temp. in the morning. Frosty mint and icy car again. Tho not mine, LOL
I need to water it tho. I planted some pansies yesterday and the soil was so so dry. I can't believe it!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

LOL janet- good prioritizing there.

Well the difference now between WA and OR becomes more clear: you are colder and drierat this point. I am just cold and soggy : (

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, really, Annie?
We haven't had rain since last week that one day more or less.
I went to plant pansies yesterday and it was so dry!!!
I am afraid of those perennials dying soon if we don't get some soaking!
I did water the dahlia tree today.
No signs of the blooms opening up either. Darn!

Am so sorry to hear you are cold and wet now, Annie.
Yes, here in Oregon, it is drier and cold at times. Years ago it used to be that we had nice winters with cold, dry, and snow then. Now it is cold wind, wet, and warm more or less.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Chalk it up to Global Warming for Oregon, I guess. I was out washing and cutting tubers under the quasi-cover of overhanging giant maple leaves outdoors and was vaguely aware it was drizzling, then raining a bit more steadily, then suddenly aware that I was soaked LOL!

How would you like to be digging dahlias in the Colorado snow zone right about now?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

No thank you, Annie, I like Oregon just fine! LOL

Carol, did you forget that it rained on Tuesday? I sure didn't cuz I was hoping it wouldn't make the paint on our house run. (DH and I had just done some more painting on Monday.)

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yeah, guess I did. It just didn't do much so that is why I forgot. The ground here is still so dry tho!!!

Hope you do get that darn house painted soon, LOL Is going to freeze one of these days hard and then that paint will run in the heat of the day, LOL

Colorado? No thanks. I take my OR weather any day!

Well, we did buy Sherwin Williams Super paint.....says you can paint all the way down to 30F. It better not run!! LOL

I sure miss DrDon. I wonder when/if he'll come back.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Still alive and growing, I was sure it would frost hard enough last night to get my Di but it still standing and I am still watching and hoping we can see a wee bit of purple. Eternally optimistic or hopeful here or maybe just a few rocks in the head. Either way, I think this is the closest I will ever get to bloom.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL Joann, you don't have rocks in your head, LOL
You are too smart for that!
Who knows, the weather is crazy so..................... we shall see...................

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Now there is a slight possibility there are buds within that growth point, but until it gets bigger I won't know.

Those little side shoots look like the ones that accompany buds, OK I'm clutching at straws!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

It has reached brick the top of #43, the only way I can show it properly is to get at a distance and zoom in. Even on the bank in front of it it looks to be another 4 bricks taller.

There is a blob of green paint on the brick just above #43, about 1.5 bricks in from the edge at the tip.

That would make it close on 140". I got the roof edge in to give a better idea, although you can't see the bottom as it's below the bank.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Great photos, Janet, I especially love the one next to your home. As of this Saturday morning mine is still green and standing. I keep my fingers crossed each night we don't get a killing frost.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yep, it sure looks like a possible bud. Good. Now almost everyone has buds. What a year!!!
Am glad to hear you are still standing, Joann, LOL
It is to get cold on Sunday nite tho. Like below freezing here, they say.................. so hope they are wrong!!!

You must all be on knife edge! We are forecast down to 3 or 4C next week for a couple of nights, even if it went lower I would be unlucky to suffer damage with the wall for protection.

We've had some horrible wet, dull, damp days, it seems one day cold, one day good, today is just turning 'almost' sunny, it's warmer outside than in! Supposed to get to 16C (61F). 4pm now, gotta go out and make use of it.

Clocks go back in the morning by an hour, so it will be dark before 5.30.

Carol, you are so kind, 'almost' everyone has buds! The next 10 days still looking mild though, need more than that but it is possible.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Janet! I also think you've got yourself a plumping little bud there, and the side shoots atop also look exactly as mine did when I thought I noticed a little different shape to what was forming at the growth tip! BUDS are so exciting and you've got them too, I bet.

Time will tell on the buds, I guess. Your photo is inspiring me to go measure the height of my tree before it's too late. Although there is no threat of freezing in our neck of the woods just yet, can't be too careful.

Let us know if you see more and certainly if anyone has unfurling petals with color: post them!

Hmm it does look a little different, I thought the newest leaves look different, smaller if anything. Not a great big fat honking bud yet though!

I don't know how you're going to measure yours Pooch, you could drop the tape measure from the roof! I'm quite pleased I can count the bricks.

Gee, I will be straight onto the job if I see more! Now everybody, don't go posting pics when you see that colour unfurling will you!!!!!!! Hohohehe....

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, darn it. I was hoping the buds would open up today............................ it was a very nice day, sunny finally after a long fog morning.
But no go. No purple yet............................
And of course I am going to post that purple color................... Janet.................how can I not???.......................

So this is my tree today. As you can see, many of the outer branches have blooms on them.

Is to get to 29 degrees tonight so................ hope not................forgot to bring the hose it yet....................

Thumbnail by daisyruffles
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is a nice pic of the blooms high up.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Here you see more of the branches with blooms along with 'Karma Lagoon' still blooming nicely. It would look so nice with the dahlia tree blooming and 'Karma Lagoon' too.

Wow, you're right about the freeze, Carol. And Monday is supposed to get down to 26. Good thing I brought in most of the rest of my blooms.

Your buds look great! Sure hope they make it through the freeze.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, sure hope what I read was wrong tho, Mendy. It is cooling off very quickly here tonight tho. We shall see. Being by that fence can help if it isn't windy tho.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

But girls we have lucked out, the rain moved in last night and so our Di's continue to stand. Yahoo. Now we can keep our fingers crossed. One of us has got to see a wee bit of lavendar/purple.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well....................................
I think I see something...........................
The what you call the things covering the actual petals??? I forgot my botany, darn it.
Anyways, they are opening up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want to pull down a branch and look so close but I don't dare. No more broken branches for me............

Yes, we got some rain. Not much tho at all. It was kind of windy tho.
Living each day for its self.............................
Geez, I do not like waiting games.................................

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

SMUDGE POTS! You've got to save the DI buds from the big chill coming Carol! It is freezing here right now as I type and OR looks to have the same nightime cooling in the next few days.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, are you going to come down here and keep the fires going around it then???? LOL LOL LOL
So just how am I to ward off the "Big Chill" then??? HUH???

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

check out the link: Maybe smudge pots aren't the preferred anti- freeze answer for either your neighbors or you! NO, I'm not coming down there, I'm staying here to breathe on my Dahlia Imperialis from a chaise lounge with a sleeping bag set up on the roof top to keep the buds warm LOL!
http://physics.uwstout.edu/deptpages/physqz/smudge.htm

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I think I got excited too fast, rats, it has cleared off and feeling pretty chilly.

Carol, you are seeing color, that is fantastic. I know I have several buds, I wonder if they would bloom if you picked them when they are so tight? I could try just one.........I don't think they would open; reg. dahlias don't.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, why not????
I will roast some hot dogs and we can make some smores, LOL
I want some company keeping that darn tree happy and frost-free!!!

But of course, you only think of yourself and your own tree. You are so selfish, hehehehehehe
Just razzing......................

Joann, yeah, I was thinking the same thing but they aren't like other flowers that do eventually open up in water/vase.
I am not sure if I see color. I need to get some binoculars.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Okay Carol, I'll come down for s'mores and bring any number of high powered reading glasses to lend you for your bud watching. Then you stop by here on your next trip to camp out a night on the roof breathing on the d.i. buds leaning two feet from the eaves LOL. Perilous work! What did Dr. Don get us into?

Don't know about the DI buds opening if cut early, but I was suprised yet again to pick some regular dahlia buds last week and see them unfurling nicely in a vase still. They never get fully open but are a nice contrast to full flowers.
Carol, if you have color, you're sooooooo close to a bloom. If only the freeze stays at bay and you get some decent daytime temps you might see them open soon! I'm crossing my fingers for all of us.

Hey Carol, you gonna be home tomorrow? I know I keep asking and I never come over, but tomorrow I actually have a free morning. I'll bring my camera and we can zoom in on the bud and see what we can see. LOL

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I will be at work at 8 am so.................. guess not. Unless you come before that time.................... But I did try with my zoom lens on my camera but is hard to get a good shot without being fuzzy.
Or you can show up at like 5 pm. It might still not be dark then???

I can try.......depends on if I remember. LOL I put up a big sign on the front door. LOL

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

LOL

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Well, darn it!!!!
It did freeze last nite!!!
See the poor dahlia tree in the background. It does look a little limpy!
Will be interesting to see how it fairs today after work.
Sigh................................

Oh Carol what a crying shame! It does look a little limpy, it's later in the day the damage is apparent when it freezes. You never know, the buds might have been high enough to escape it???? Looks to be a hard one..

The forecast here for Wednesday and Thursday is expected to be sunny, each time I check the local forecast they put it lower for night, from 4 to 3 now 2C. That could end up worse! It's supposed to rise again after that so I'm hoping for some cloud, at least it stops the freezing.

Pooch you'd better get on that roof on your chaise longue, and mg you will now have to take a diversion to get a pic of the spectacle!

That would have to be quite a diversion, but if I got a pic of Annie on her roof in a chaise lounge, it would be WELL worth it!

This message was edited Oct 30, 2006 10:10 AM

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Well ladies, The only way I'm going on the roof is with ice skates or ropes tethered to the chimney (did that rope thing once to clear ice from a skylight LOL.) Jack Frost visited here too- still lingering with 26 degrees- and it's a slippery slope up on the roof. The DI leaf tips transpiring droplets are offering up frozen droplets this a.m. The leaves don't look quite as bad as the braised spinach of many of the garden dahlias. I'm doing laundry as fast as I can to keep the dryer blowing hot air on it!. I hope it doesn't perish as it heats up during the day like Janet says. I suspect that maybe 80% of the garden got frostbite last night- frozen little flower petals and dark limp leaves. What didn't die last night will get it again tonight. Tragic.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Carol, mine is wimpy and dark like black leaves this morning too. I am so disappointed, it will be another 100 years before we ever get this close again.We had such a long season this year. It got warm earlier in the spring than usual and our fall was incredible too. It was about 27 or 28 * degrees last night. I wonder how much longer we would have needed to see some bloom, a month? What a plant!!!!

Hey Pooch, be sure to post us a pic.......sorry, can't help but have a little giggle.........wicked I know......my turn will come!

Oh no not 100 years Lenjo! They like the warmth early on, but not the heat of summer. Give us some hope!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.