GRITDIG Part Five

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Snow???
We had it start this morning at 6:30 am here. I got up at 6 am and nothing. Went back to bed and then got up at 6:30 am, viola, good old snow cover already. It is coming down now. Is above freezing tho so...............
I could have left my tree up but it looks horrible!
But that is why I covered up my stalks so they don't get rain down their pipes............

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

snow, i am talking to my daughter, they have it in salem but nothing here.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

My oldest DS had a great time playing in the snow this am.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

oK, you southerners don't rub it in. lol

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Carol I thought because you cut the stems off you will be leaving the plant more vulnerable to cold and wet, not only the water going down but the stems are naturally a good protector for the plant, just imagine the shock you might get if you had your legs cut off, you would probably bleed to death, get gangrene and go rotten. Shock to the system if you were left out in the cold even more. A plant that is ready to grow in warmer weather is more likey to be able to heal and regrow, sorry to be so graphic! I would cover it completely and hope for the best.

Why you lucky people, getting snow already! We had some last year in early November if I remember correctly, making up for it this year. I'm not complaining!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yeah, guess you are right. Maybe I should have just left it standing.
Oh well, too late now.
I may go out there and cover it up totally then with plastic and mulch. Thanks, Janet.

You can have our snow. I love snow when it snows so much that you can't do anything else. But hate it when it is so-so and you have to go out in it to like work, etc.

Joann, I am surprised you haven't gotten any yet. It is to be worst the further north we go.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

gangrene, shock, bleed to death! I feel so cruel all of a sudden! My poor DI stumps are out there freezing in 26 degrees with snow piling up around to provide a hostile environment. I better dig it up tomorrow.

It will be interesting to see what the rootball looks like and to figure out how to store it.

Janet are you going to leave yours in the ground then, and leave the stems on?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Carol, we got some about noon today and it lasted for maybe an hour.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

We have had sunshine, snow, rain, freezing rain, etc. here today. What a day!

Yeah, Annie, I feel cruel too. But if it wants to live, it will have to suffer, LOL Survival of the fittest!

The rootball will probably like what Don had sent us. You could put it in a large pot.

I am definitely leaving mine in the ground, stems and all. How could I cut off those willing shoots that are so wanting to grow and make me some flowers??

There is at least 7 good double sets of shoots on each stem, even the lower nodes are starting to shoot. They think it's spring, look how they have freshened up

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Wow Janet! I didn't realize yours was saved from total freeze and of course you should try to save them. I had two main stalks frozen from about the lower 3 ft on up to the top. Not one side leaf survived: all dead black foliage had long ago fallen off right from the stalk, so nothing much to save here.

With your brick wall as a little heater, do you think you can overwinter those healthy shoots, or will you take cuttings?

It's 19F degrees here, (-7.2222222 C accordng to the Celsius converter) icy and 4 inches of snow. Our roadways around Seattle are a total icy mess. Feels like the Midwest! I will put some heavy mulch and a bag over my cut off DI and do some laundry so the dryer vent can heat it up a little LOL!

That's a winter temp. for us which we rarely get but last winter we did have that low early in the season and to -9C once, at night though, days are rarely as low as feezing. The previous winter we only had 4 frosts to -5C, 23F. The frost that got the D.i. was no more than -3 or -4C, who knows, I might be lucky.

I doubt that the whole stem will get frozen, mine is still OK all the way to the top but the top part is softer so it might not do much, I can see side shoots coming most of the way up. Besides a couple of other frosts at the same time around the 0C mark it's been reasonable.

How on earth can I protect the side shoots?? I can think about that one, if I had to cover them with something I would be taking it off again in the day, and there's lots of them! I need a cage built against the wall with a plastic drop over cover, that's what I thought I would do but what a lot of bother!

Today was the 4th day of fog and temperatures around freezing, barely rising above. At past 11am it was 30F, the stems of my D.i. are fine, the new shoots that made are frozen.

What a picture........

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Looks kinda creepy. ;o)

The small side stem that shot off the plant near the wall, the largest one I grew, is still green!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

mg, it is.....................spooky................

Isn't it kinda early for you over there? What...about 3 am or so?

2am! nearly bed time!

Ah....didn't know if you were the same as Belgium. They are 9 hours ahead of me. You are only 8 hours ahead.

I was up till 3:30 am wrapping presents. I just don't want to do that on Christmas Eve!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh dear Janet, it doesn't look good tho. The cells in the stems will be damage, I think. So I think it could be the end for you real soon too. Darn. Was hoping you would get a bloom...............
Geez, looks like nobody got a bloom this year. Too weird of a year for all of us!!!

Why not, Mendy. All parents stay up on Christmas Eve doing stupid things just for the darn kids. I will admit I do miss it already!!! LOL

Carol, I want this to be one year that DH and I aren't up all night on Christmas Eve.

I think the thickest old stems are OK, the top more tender bits not. I shall see how it looks in spring, I have others I can plant elsewhere (first find the space) so I might leave this one to see where it sprouts from. If it sprouts high up I will have a head start on height next year! Wooohoooo!!!!!!

Well I didn't really expect to have a winter so mild that it didn't get frozen, even if it is mild there is always some hard frost. It took one night to -4C but when there wasn't fog and freezing day temps.

This other main stem you can see if OK, that one was stem 3 hanging out sideways but is nearly as mature.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yep, that does look very interesting, Janet. You must have different type of weather there. Like a micro-climate that kind of protects the plants. Here, those 2 freezing days just wiped out the dahlias.

Mendy, I totally get you. I know what you mean. For once, you would to go to bed somewhat early on Christmas Eve, LOL Hope you do get to...............

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.