Propagating AV Chimeras

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I thought I would share how I propagate chimera violets. Since they very rarely bloom true from a leaf cutting, I found the best and most sucessful way for me is from a crown cutting. The variety I will use for this demo is 'Kiwi Dazzler' - AVSA REG.#5888 - Hybridized by D.Snell in 1985 described as - Single chimera wine red/white stripe. Medium green plain.

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Denver, CO

This is going to be good...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

This a photo of the plant after blooming for months. As you can see, the foliage is 'gappy' and has long petioles. This plant needs rejuvination so I will take a crown cutting and will enjoy getting lots of new baby crowns growing where the original one was that I will remove.

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I have selected my center crown leaves that I want and will remove the leaves just underneath just to give me a little extra room to work.

Photo of leaves removed under the crown I want.

Now will be so much easier to remove. I use a serrated steak knife and gently (yes, holding my breath) work my way around the crown holding my knife at a very slightly downward angle. Take your time...no rush. Best to do with no other distractions....screaming kids, etc., hahaha!

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here is the crown removed intact....

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

This is what's left of the original plant. I call it a 'spider'. It is now a chimera baby factory and will produce many new crowns. Once the crown babies are of sufficient size, they can be removed and potted up to root and become new chimera plants.

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Denver, CO

Is it the big bloom period that causes this plant (before the friendly decapitation?) to have gappy leaves/ long petioles?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here is the crown cutting potted and ready to root and grow. I will cover with a clear plastic baggie until rooted. Next to the new cutting is one of my favorite watering devices....a Clairol hair color bottle with a nice long nozzle. This works so great for watering newly potted leaves and plantlets.

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Here is a photo of what new crown babies look like growing in after the center crown had been removed. This is on a variety called 'Yukako'.

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Kenton - Yes, heavy blooming takes it's toll on the foliage as the plants energy is going into producing and sustaining blossoms. That is why show growers keep their plants disbudded for the most part so they can grow out a nice plant.

Denver, CO

Thanks.
That Hair-chemical bottle in ingenious.
I, a heathen, just use a spary bottle or watering can. If I get water on the crown- heh, the desert is forgiving that way.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Nice Thread Thanks for sharing

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks...
That little hair color bottle is perfect for us OCD types...LOL!

Thought I would post a few other chimera bloomers.

This one is 'Concord' (Horikoshi/Ozaki) (7807) (10/3/1992)
Single-Semidouble white pansy/dark blue stripe. Dark green plain, quilted, glossy. Standard.

Nice and bold...

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

AV chimera 'Kiluea'.....

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

'Fortune Teller'

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

'Victorian Ribbons'.....last one for now. Anyone have any good tips to share on chimera propagation? How about chimera trailers? I love those as they are always making new suckers....fun and easy.

Thumbnail by Snowrose
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes those bottles are wonderful. I have been using them for about 2 years. I went to Sally's Beauty supply and bought several from them. The lady asked me if I was going to be doing a lot of hair coloring and I told her that they were for my plants. She looked at me sort of strange but sold me the bottles anyway. They work so well, especially with minis. Thank goodness for that good old american know how and creativity.

Jesse

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Jesse -
I get my bottles at Sally's too. Couldn't be without 'em. I also have one used for hair bleaching which is a bit larger but still has a nice long nozzle. Yes, they are perfect for minis. Must have been funny about the sales clerk. Plants???

Silver Spring, MD

Thank you. It is nice to have the pictures to refer to.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

WOw so many beautiful Chimeras !

Midway, GA

Beautiful chimeras!!! i had always wondered the steps exactly for propogating a chimera! thank you for the info!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thank you! You know, if you are a little sqeemish about trying this on one of your cherished chimeras, you could always practice this technique on one you don't care so much about or find one of those 1.99 bargain violets and give it a try. As long as you have the center crown, you haven't lost anything.

I have to admit I was nervous the first time I tried it, but was so sucessful, I don't give it a second thought now :0)

Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

so very intresting, think i'll try it.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Some of the violet 'fantasy bloom' types are very unstable from leaf cuttings as well. Might be worth trying this on them to up the chances of the plants blooming true.

Denver, CO

I have a noid Chimera that will be given to the first guest that compliments on it- but I had to take a leaf cutting just to see what it would revert to. It's a robust young plant now, so we'll see it this winter with any luck. Then I get rid of it.
And all of your Chimeral pictures are simply stunning.

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Kenton WOW do you have a picture of the bloom of your Noid Chimera ? Do you know the name of the parent ? All Chimera's are Sports. If you know the parent it may be grown out 3 generations and named !

Drumheller, Alberta, Canada(Zone 3a)

I am totally in LOVE with Chimeras.
The photos are gorgeous!
And thanks so much for the information.
Can Chimeras be grown from seed? My Moon Beam has a pod.
Dawna

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Dawna - Your Moon Beam offspring from seed will most likely not produce chimeras. Chimeras most frequently occur from sports (mutation) many times from fantasy blossom types and others.

Would be fun to sow your seed though just for the experience and to see what you may get. You never know ;0)

Kenton - Thanks! One of these days, you should take a pic of your noid chimera. What is the color combo? You're a good man....

This is just the coolest thread! Thank you for posting it. I don't have any Chimeras, but it's really interesting to see the process. I'm pretty sure if I went to do that, I wouldn't have to move the knife back and forth...I'd be so nervous my hands trembling would more than suffice! LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL Raingazer!!!! Forming a mental image here....too funny!! Yup...especially the first time.

Silver Spring, MD

Too funny!

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

excellent thread! the spider photo is really really scary, lol.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Maybe I should call it the Halloween violet LOL!!! Would be good to frighten any self respecting violet trick or treaters!

Denver, CO

Frightens me.

Allison; My noid looks a lot like Optimara Saturn. I don't know if I still have it- trying to get rid of my noids. I imagine the leaf plantlet will bloom all white.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.