Only a few more days to enter our 19th Annual Photo Contest. Voting starts this Friday! You can submit your best images HERE

Body Lotion

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

When we crank up the furnaces here in the Midwest it certainly dries out our skin. I use body lotion to combat the dryness. In the past I've used Le Couvent des Minimes Honey & Shea Body Balm from Bath & Body but it's so expensive.

Recently I've tried Olay Quench Therapy Extreme Dry 2-in-1 Rescue. So far I like it. What are your favorites?

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I use the St. Ives Collagen Elastin and really like it.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Here in Albuquerque, the high altitude and dry air can shrivel us up like prunes. It's bad in summer, even worse in winter with the furnace going. I make my own blend in a 2-ounce flip top plastic bottle that I keep in the shower caddy. About 2/3 grapeseed oil, 1/3 shea oil, and six drops of rosehip seed oil (optional). Shake before using. After showering or bathing, I pat excess water off, then rub this blend onto very damp skin. It helps protect the skin all day and is free of fragrance and any chemicals.

I order the oils from http://www.onederbar.com because there are no stores here that carry such products. I store the large bottles of oils in the refrigerator and just mix a small batch every week so it doesn't go rancid. It's very cost effective since a little goes a long way and the oils are good for over a year if refrigerated.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I ise Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion but its kind of expensive. But it works

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks for your input! June_nmexico, your blend sounds just wonderful and, I'm sure, gentle for sensitive skin.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

I use Johnson's softlotion for 24 hours moisturizer to leave skin feeling softer smooth all day baby soft skin from name of brand is Johnson&Johnson smell so wonderful work great for me.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2006 5:50 PM

Thornton, IL

I use Burt's Bees foot lotion, with socks on at bedtime. Softens up my hard heels.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Just got a lotion from the doctor called Lac Lotion 12 % I love it...does great. $$ but a big bottle goes a long way

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I've recently tried Curel and love it. I got the Ultra Healing Moisturizing Lotion and it really works great - and for a reasonable price. You can often find $1.00 off coupons too!

Grabill, IN(Zone 5b)

I am an RN and have worked in wound care. I was informed that Creams are better than Lotions. They last longer in the skin. For heels, I lather them up with a good thick cream(Eucerin,ex.)and apply cotton socks. It is also best if you put cream on your body after a shower or bath. (When you still have some water remaining on you after you pat yourself lightly to dry off). Also Stay away from methelparabens. Burts Bees Cream is another option.

Thornton, IL

Serenity is right, I use Burt's Bees Coconut Foot Creme.

Lake Charles, LA

For dry feet: I use Vaseline ,than wrap saran wrap around my foot and slip a sock over everything. I guarantee smooth skin in the morning.

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

If your skin is really flaky from dryness, get a jar of GOJO from any local auto supply place. Use it instead of soap once or twice a wk. always followed by a good lotion. It takes off the dead skin cells and leaves your skin soft and smooth. Have used it for 4 mos. now and it is also getting rid of the age spots on my face and back sof my hands. LIZ

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

For years, I used plain baby oil to pat onto my skin before drying off after a shower. All of a sudden I have developed a severe allergy to anything containing mineral oil. I put baby oil on my forearms as I was getting out of the shower last week and have a horrid rash all up and down both arms, just like a poison ivy rash. It happened one other time, but I thought it was just a coincidence, but this time it's a real deal.

Who would guess anyone could be allergic to something as gentle as baby oil ?

Houston, TX

FYI - USE BURT'S BEES PLEASE! Or any other lotion that is preservative free. Your skin is NOT a waterproof barrier. It is a sponge. Anything you rub on your skin is just the same as drinking it through your mouth. It is absorbed by the capillaries in your skin & goes into your blood stream. Parabens & pthalates are DEADLY. All chemical preservatives are "bad for you stuff". You want the cure for cancer? There it is. Stop poisoning your bodies. Medical science has found methylparaben in cancerous breast tumors. You wan't to know what's the BEST thing for dry skin? Here it is: DRINK MORE PURE WATER (without chlorine which dries skin out) Next, use pure things like go online & buy yourself some inexpensive unrefined shea butter. I buy it by the lb & put it in the fridge. I take an empty deodorant container (wash it out) then twist it all the way down like it was when you bought it full of product. Now use your microwave on low & melt your shea butter just until liquid. Pour that into your deodorant stick container. Let it harden up. There ya go. Instant moisturizing stick for all over. Here's another tip... buy some pure jojoba oil & pour it in an empty roll on deodorant container after you clean it all up. The ball will pop out if you lift the ring at the top. Clean it all up & fill it with oil. Pop the ring & ball back on... instant roll on moisturizer. There are a TON of great oils. My favorite is Australian Emu Oil... nothing is better for curing excema & dry skin of all types. Especially for scars. It's pricey though. Please! Boycott chemical preservatives! Have the self esteem & the intelligence to go back to nature. It is CHEAPER, you will look better, feel better & it all works so much better than chemicals do. Burt's Bees & several others are free of chemical preservatives (so far that I know of). Reward those companies with your patronage. Let's show the FDA we won't be duped & tricked into dying of cancer at the behest of the chemical industries. For those of you who want shea butter... look it up on eBay there is a ton of it there. Or Google search this phrase "unrefined shea butter from Africa". You will not only be helping your skin, helping your budget, helping your health... but you'll be helping an African village in a cottage industry that is unsurpassed in the quality of shea butter it produces. They use that money to teach kids, buy necessary things for their villages & employee otherwise unemployable people & many, many other things. It helps them remain self sufficient. You can't go wrong! It's wonderful stuff.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I use body yogurt from Avon, and on my face I use the sensitive skin Oil of Olay. I can't handle oily products on my face, tends to clog my pores. My mom is a huge fan of the Lubriderm, she has REALLY dry skin. I have not seen the Olay quench therapy, I will look for it next time I am at the store.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

goldfinch I was going to post my answer and am SO glad to read you'd already discovered it yourself: CUREL!

i've tried all the expensive brands, the highly perfumed brands, ultra thick, etc etc only to find that CUREL really does cure the chapped skin the best!

Medford, NJ

I just have to jump in here....I always used body lotion, because my skin has always felt dry and sometimes flaky and itchy, especially in the winter. However, I finally realized that it was the harsh detergent based shower gels that I used that were causing the problem. And I am talking about all of them, including the ones that say they are extra moisturizing for dry skin. They all contain the same detergents, and the chemicals are harsh!!

Someone gave me a bar of natural soap, and I've bought a few bars at Whole Foods and at health food stores. There are thousands of natural soap companies online too, and they come in awesome scents with awesome ingredients and no chemicals or harsh detergents. Most of them are made with olive oil, jojoba oil, and shea or cocoa butter. Since I started washing and shaving with these soaps, I no longer need to buy body lotions. Occasionally I wear a scented one just to smell good, and of course sunscreen if I need it, but there is no more dry skin, no more waiting for lotion to sink in before I can dress, etc. I also now use the olive oil bars to wash my hair and don't need as much conditioner anymore either.

My point is, you may not have dry skin or need lotion, you may just be drying it out with the products you use.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

That's a good point. My only cronic dry spot though are the heels of my feet....even as a kid :(

Medford, NJ

For the heels, best to use a pumice stone and exfoliating scrubs ( you can make one with olive oil and sugar ) and then use a very thick rich cream under socks before bed. Shea butter is great, or try the one Avon makes called Therapuetic Cracked Heel Cream. Love that stuff!

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

june_nmexico - What is the company that you order from at the site you gave the link for? It lists several companies - Can you tell me which one you purchase from?
Thanks~
Julie

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Julie - That post was from 2006 and I guess Onederbar Company has gone out of business. I'm not familiar with any of the companies now listed there. I ordered large bottles back then so am set for a while since they are refrigerated.

Grapeseed oil and rosehip oil are likely available at Whole Foods or health food stores. Pure refined Shea oil is a little harder to find. Cheap brands of shea oil usually are not deodorized and have an oily smell.

June

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Thanks - I like the combo of oils that you listed. It sounds rich but not heavy.

North Central, ID(Zone 6a)

Check out camdengrey.com. They sell all kinds of essential oils, along with moisturizing oils like jojoba. They also have cocoa butter and shea butter you can purchase. I have ordered from them ( no affiliation ) and was pleased with the service.

I've recently tried to go more natural with my skin care and am making my own face oil. Sure, sounds gross to say oil, but it is a total misconception to think that you shouldn't put oil on your face. It's natural ! If you were worried about having oily skin, an oil like grapeseed oil is very light. On the other hand, for dry skin jojoba is really great.
My mix includes jojoba, sweet almond and coconut oil, along with some essential oils and rosewater and zinc oxide powder ( for sunscreen ). My complexion has improved and my face feels much more supple and soft. Try it out !

Paula

New York City, NY

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Gold Bond is amazing. Try the Ultimate Restoring with CoQ10. Gold Bond has many good lotions but this one is deemed the best. It has vitamins A,E and C, antioxidants, seven moisturizers and ceramides. It is also important to use a mild cleansing agent. Dove, Gold Bond and Olay make lots of good ones, and if you a bar soap, I find that Clearly Natural is a winner. It has a high level of glycerin and, it's very inexpensive.

I discovered these when I developed several skin conditions as a result of stress, and they helped enormously. If your skin is hyper sensitive Cerave, while more expensive than these, wil help.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

Coconut oil is really good. Put it on right out of the bath and as it warms up on the skin, it melts. Good stuff.

Brisbane, CA

hello everyone!!

London, United Kingdom

I love using Coconut Oil!
I use TIANA Fair Trade Organics Raw Extra Virgin Coconut Oil! It's the best, and you can cook with it to.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.