Dahlia resources thread - feedback, please

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Dave has been working with me on finding ways to let our forum regulars find and use the resources we provide in other areas of the site.

I put together this thread: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/665461/ which is "stickied" at the top of this forum.

Here's what we'd like to know:

1) Is it helpful (i.e., did you learn about a resource you didn't know existed, or how to better use one of the resources it described?)

2) How could it be more helpful?

3) Would you prefer to see this type of thread remain as a "sticky" thread, or linked to a separate page within the description at the top of the forum? (Were you aware of the text at the top of this or other forums? It's a fair question - don't be afraid to say you never read them ;o)

4) Other feedback for us?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I think it looks good Terry. I knew of most of those features, but it is a good reminder to other people. I do encourage them to add to plantfiles and to make corrections for details that are wrong. Did you want the fertilizer sticky left out? I am thinking a future topic of common concern is staking, maybe this winter or spring we can work on it.

Al

Thanks, Al. The goal of creating these threads is to serve as a list of shortcut links for those who know the resources exist, and a reference tool for newer members trying to get their bearings.

I'm definitely open to any/all add'l threads that should be "stickied" for posterity - I'll insert them in the "Member's Favorites" area for easy reference.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

This is great Terry and Dave, thanks very much. I like the idea of this resource thread being left as a sticky here rather than in some generic resource location. If a DG viewer is looking to learn about dahlias then surely they'd look on the dahlia forum right? Such a thread serves as a great resource for the dahlia neophyte or run of the mill dahlia fanatic equally well.

Thanks again!

You're very welcome - and thanks to you and everyone who make this forum come alive! If there are any other threads that need to be stickied, please post them here or send them to the helpdesk. We'll be happy to add them ASAP.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi Terry, thanks and nice job! I think the Dahlia forum sticky is the best kind.

Suzy

Louisville, KY

Terry ;

This is going to be a big help. Definitely merits a sticky. Thanks a lot

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Terry, I think that thread looks great! It's very nice to have everything in one place.

That's good to know - thanks for the kind words! Please do let us know what other DG threads should be added to it as a ready-reference.

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Just checked out your thread , looks great!Will be very handy to find what help you might need without searching though all the threads.

There was a thread on pinching and pruning and one on staking that might be good to add to the sticky, topics that seems to come up a lot.
Thanks a lot for all your hard work!

willow22552, if you can locate the thread and send me a link, that would be great!

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/609717/ is pinching and pruning

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/559258/ is staking

Hope this helps

Thanks - I added them!

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

This is a terrific idea Terry! I really like the main sticky with the resource threads stickied within it. Pure elegance! It is especially helpful now that the search function is down. Are you planning on doing this on all the threads? I'm especially thinking about butterfly and composting threads.

Great job,

Maggie

Maggie, at this point, I've created these for the forums pertaining to a specific genus, and I'm slowly working my way through those. I hadn't really thought about doing it for the other subjects, but I'll definitely consider your suggestion!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Terry, your sticky on "Members favorite threads" saved me many hours of hunting on the proper way to plant and grow Dahlias. Thank you!

Triad(for a few more, NC(Zone 7a)

Ok, I will be the new nerd of the group, here goes;

What is a "sticky" and where in tarnation is it? I don't see it?

I love saying tarnation, I learned it when I moved to NC with the Boston accent though doesn't quite have the same cute ring.

Susan

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

LOL, A sticky is an information thread that is always at the top of every (most) forum. It helps introduce that particular forum with information that folks can relate to.

I still don't see it, where is it? I am sorry to be such a dope. I know, if it was a snake......

Susan

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/dahlias/all/

Click on the above link and look at the first thread. It will have the word sticky in parenthesis (sticky), meaning that thread will be always be stuck at the top of the forum.....Dahlia resources thread (sticky)

Thank you, big huge DUH!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

No worries. I get lost too. Don't turn me lose driving in a little town square, I just drive around in circles. LOL

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Susan, there are no dumb questions here. I asked the same thing about a "sticky" when first mentioned. If they said "Post It" maybe I'd have had a guess, but everyone is usually glad to help around here. Except with snakes, you're on your own there!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images