The Annual Photo Contest is open. Enter your best images Here

5/5/07, Tupelo MS (Mid-South Round Up)

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

EVERYONE is invited to join those who frequent the DG Mid-South forum at the Second Annual Mid-South Round Up which will be held Saturday, May 5, 2007, at the Natchez Trace Parkway Headquarters, Tupelo MS.

We will be at a public park, open to the elements. You might be more comfortable if you bring chairs, tables, tents, etc. Bring plants, seeds and anything that is plant related or Dave's Garden related. If you have something you think someone would like to trade you a plant for, bring it on! Trades are NOT required. Some folks just like to give things away! But be sure to mark your trades with plant name and your name so if there are questions, we can contact each other.

If you want to participate in the 'door prize' event, bring a door prize, and we'll all have fun with this.

Potluck lunch at 11:30 or 12:00 noon...---...Bring a dish, . Come earlier or stay later..

HERE IS THE FOOD LIST FOR THE POT LUCK IF YOU'D LIKE TO COMMIT: Sign in below and I'll move your dish to this list.

Cindy/Riverland - paper goods, cups, utensils, maybe dish
jeri11/Jeri - Chicken or local dish and chips/dip; boudin
Linda/Gourdlady - potato salad, shaved roast beef, buns, cake
LouisianaMom - soft drinks and waters for everyone, with a couple BIG ice chests of Ice and Drinks.
Pat/FlowrLady - Banana Pudding and Cookies
Sharon/Savagegardener - Brownies, Cookies, Tuna salad sandwiches, and chips.
Terrye/Triliv- cold salads: homemade pimento cheese, chicken/turkey salad, macaroni, etc., with breads and crackers for sandwiches or salads, AND Summer Strawberry Pie

This message was edited May 1, 2007 8:41 AM

WOW!!!! If everyone on the list makes it, as of 04/30/07 we have 43 folks!!! Y'all COME!!!!

BetsyBug - Memphis TN
Busybee (Mary) and her friend Donna - Kentwood LA
Corgimom (Libby) with David - Clinton MS
WILL NOT ATTEND - dbibb & husband - Inverness MS - (final exams)
diggin_in_ms - Maben MS
FlowrLady (Pat) with sister/sister's friend/cousin/mom - Olive Branch MS
Gourdlady (Linda) - Rienzi MS
jeri11 - Greenwell Springs LA
joezeeben (Joe) - TN
justfurkids (Carol) Toone TN
Kyleg05 (Kyle) - Russelville AL
LouisianaMom (Mary) with DH and children
luvplantsinms2 (Carolyn) - Eupora MS
Mississippi_d and Patrick - Cleveland MS
MS Mudpuppy (Nel)
MS Rose (Scott)
Riverland (Cindy) - West Monroe LA
savagegardener (Sharon), DH Max, and Carolyn her MiL - Middleton TN
sendone2me (Fran) - with her sister, SIL, and niece - Orlando FL
Shadowgirl (Loretta) with Mark (maybe)
Shasta8 (Mechelle) - Saltillo MS
suemckee - with her niece (Iuka MS)
WILL NOT ATTNED - tgif (Ginni) - Starkville MS
Tryliv (Terrye) - Boonville MS
Yardbird (Ruth) with Lamar - Mathiston MS

This message was edited May 2, 2007 6:11 PM

My Reminder List. If I told you I'd bring you something, and you don't see your name here, let me know!

TAKE:
someone??? - Forsythia cuttings
Purple Verbena - Sandra, and Mary (LAMom)
Beautyberry/white - Ruth

HAVE:
Cleome - rose, rose/white, pink/white, pink, white, purple/white, 2 shaded purple - my choice
Corkscrew willow Salix matsudana 'Tortuosa' cuttings http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/57208/
Fennel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennel http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/f/fennel01.html
Forsythia cuttings http://www.thegardenhelper.com/forsythia.html
Gunnera manicata (limited amount) http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53097/
Impatiens balsamina - touch-me-nots http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/156/index.html
kerria japonica (double) cuttings or rootings http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/kerria.html
Lamb's Ear Stachys byzantina http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/138/index.html
moss rose portulaca http://www.sd1new.net/GardenPages/moss_rose.htm http://www.ehow.com/how_6766_grow-moss-rose.html
Sedums - unnamed
Spiderwort -
verbena bonarienses http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/Features/flowers/Vbonar/vbonariensis.htm

WANT:
Peace Rose http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/341/index.html
Pregnant onion Ornithogalum longibracteatum http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1792/index.html
Confederate Rose Hibiscus http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/714/index.html
Ice Plant http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1928/

This message was edited Apr 25, 2007 4:36 PM

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Pat, please put Bob and I down as attending.

I discusssed this with the ladies at the Tupelo Gathering, so I'll throw it out here and you all tell me what you think. Not very far from me there is a large greenhouse growing operation. I have never been but I've been told they have many greenhouses. They sell wholesale, but if they won't sell to us, perhaps we have a contact that will allow their business info to be used so that we can purchase annuals by the flat.

What I propose to do if there is enough interest is to purchase the flat(s) at the price I'm quoted, affix the invoice to it so you will know exactly how much we paid for it and then take it to the RoundUp for you to pick up there. You can reimburse me at the RoundUp. for the number of plants you want. You do have to commit before the RoundUp.

I think it will be fun and get us some plants at a good price. You would have to give me a list of plants you would be interested in so I could get a quote. Also it would need to be on a thread by itself. For now just think about it and we'll discuss it later, probably at our January Gatherings!!

Another idea is North Carolina Farms, Inc. www.ncfarmsinc.com. I've ordered from them in the past so I know they will let me order again. So have a look around there and get some ideas.

Judy

Edited to ad this PS

I got an email suggesting that we each plant/grow out a flat and exchange at the RoundUp which I think is a great idea. I'm not saying don't do the above, but this idea I like also.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2006 8:38 AM

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Pat you know Lamar and I will be there.

Ruth

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

I will be there for sure. Maybe Mark will come too.

Loretta

Eupora, MS

Well Pat, you know I'll be there with bells on..LOL Hope all these goodies that I'm tring to root are a success..should have herbs too.

Carolyn

Booneville, MS

Pat, Count me in. Spring can't come fast enough.

Judy, the flat idea sounds great, Count me in for either suggestion.

Terrye

Eupora, MS

Judy,
Think it may go by the wayside if you don't put a sticky on it..

Carolyn

Starkville, MS

Pat - you might want to ask Terry to edit the header on this thread to read 5/5/07 instead of 5/2/07. I just noticed it when I was putting it on my calendar.

I plan to be there.

Is it just my computer or is DG a little wierd this morning? I assume that Dave is working on the servers, but just wanted to see if anyone else has problems.
ginni

Starkville, MS

Now, suddenly, all seems fine!

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

One thing I thought might work for the round up is a little mini co-op only for people that plan on attending the Spring MSRU. I need perennials so it would be for mostly bare root plants with maybe a few liners. The bareroot would be #1 size, which means they would pot up in 1 to 2 gallon pots. These plants will be priced below retail and are varieties not usually available locally. Whoever is interested please e-mail me to get your name on the list of participants and I will send you the potential items and the name of the vendor. Because this is not posted on the Coop forum I would prefer if we handle the details privately to avoid misunderstandings. This would be open to any person planning on attending the RU this spring.

Loretta

This message was edited Oct 30, 2006 9:31 AM

Rienzi, MS(Zone 7a)

Pat, I plan on attending the Spring RU. Both of the "flats" ideas sound great to me.

Linda

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

This is my reminder list...what to bring whom:

FL Gardening magazines and Shells from the Gulf - Carolyn
Big Box of Stuffed Animals
...so far...

OK some of my list is gone!!!
Coleus
Golden Ice Plant
Perilla - Ruth, Terrye (Pat has hers)
Bloody Dock (very limited supply left as I gave away alot in Nashville and at the MBG gathering)
Kenny - named hosta
Loretta - Drinking Gourd Hosta & Compost Bucket

My mind, though brilliant as ever, is like a sieve, so please don't be shy about throwing me a gentle reminder from time to time about something you want, or something I've promised. If I can share, it will be my pleasure to do so. :-)

carol
hoping to receive from my wonderful friends
Black Bamboo - Jeri
Gunnera - Pat
Purple Verbena
Purple Ice Plant - Terrye

This message was edited Apr 14, 2007 8:55 AM

Moscow, TN(Zone 7a)

The information is ready for the Midsouth RU coop that I was organizing. It includes double hellebores, a couple of the new echinacea's and some other choice plants. Send me a D-mail if you want to participate. Judy I would be interested in participating in a coop from your nursery so please count me in.

Loretta

Starkville, MS

Howdy, Pat and everybody! Scott and I will be there if the Creek don't rise. Guess I better get it on that brand new calendar. I KNEW there was a reason to buy one early this year! ;-]

Cheers,

Nel

I think the attendance list is updated to this afternoon.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

The RU is a long way off and I won't be doing anything in regard to it until March or so, if then. It depends upon life!!

Judy

Me, too. It's too far away, but I will update this list when anyone says they plan to attend.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I am going to try to attend.

Hi Riverland. I hope nothing will keep you from joining us. We have a good time, and welcome all newbees with open arms :)

Rienzi, MS(Zone 7a)

Yeah Riverland, we would really love for you join us.

Linda

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

I would like to attend, I'll hitch a ride with yardbird and Lamar(mom and dad)

diggin, I've added your name to our list. I'm glad you'll be there!

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Put me down - since I know the date this early I can actually plan for it....

BetsyBug, you're now on the list! I am so happy you've decided to come. We are going to have a nice group this time!

Saltillo, MS(Zone 7b)

I'll be there!

Shasta, I've got you on the list, too! I am so excited because we have quite a few who did not attend any of the RU's last year. It will be so great getting to meet everyone face-to-face!

Cleveland, MS(Zone 8a)

Pat, Many thanks for the invitation! Patrick and I will be there!!

MS_D, gotcha! We'll be happy to see each other! LOL

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi All,
Well I plan on being there so long as nothing happens in the mean time... Even if hubby has to work that weekend I'm still coming ... will just bring my sister in stead....LOL I am so excited....
Do any of you have Hoyas? Well when I found out kevin was going back to work I ordered a Donkey's Tail off ebay... paid 12.99 plus shipping ... Well I am not a shopper but hubby needed something that I could not get at a Lowes....LOL so I went to Wal-Mart... Welll they had just gotten a whole new shipment of plants... and I got 3 Donkey Tails for less then I paid for one...LOLOLOL My luck.. I also picked up two diffrent Hoya's that were beautiful.... So that was my outing for the week...LOLOLOL... No I go to work tomorrow and I am not looking forward to it for we were closed since Friday and all heck will break loose...LOL...
Happy New Year everyone....
Hugs,
Sue

I am sorry but I think this is the wrong one that I am going to ..... Sorry...

This message was edited Jan 2, 2007 2:58 AM

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

ROFL...its okay Susan. We all get confused from time to time. Are you and your sister coming to the Spring RU (Tupelo MS May 7th) or the SeedSwap & PotLuck in Booneville MS - Jan 20th.

Do you need a place to stay? Mind you I am a good 2 hours North of Terrye's dancehall...but I do have 2 empty guest rooms that you are welcome to use.

Hoya's...I think I had one as a houseplant when I lived in Atlanta. I loved it but it didn't like me. That's the rope plant, right? Your husband is into plants? I think that would be heaven if my DH shared my interest. He did recently ask if I could grow hops. (He is so into that beer making kit he got for Christmas! )

Loretta he went on Friday to Memphis to the Suntrust Bank...and stopped in to the wine & beer making supply shop. Loved it. I think he is going back today to the bank...what do you want to bet he stops back in at that little shop? ROFL I would love to ride with you but have recently heard from someone else that might want to come along, so perhaps you'd prefer if I drive. Will tell you about it on the phone.
carol

This message was edited Jan 2, 2007 8:24 AM

Susan, so glad to 'hear' happiness in your voice again! From your msg above, you are saying that you are going to another RU and not the Mid-South one in Tupelo MS, right? If I'm wrong, then I'll add you to the list above. If I'm right, then I'm sad :( but it's a LONG way from Danville VA to Tupelo.

We welcome everyone, no matter where you're from, but I understand it's a LONG ways for some folks. This is one reason I'm so happy we have one within 1-1/2 hours of me! The other closest one for me is, I believe, Kentucky.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok HELLO ALLLLLL,
I am going to the gathering at Hart's place in Shenandoah Valley, VA, It is a couple of hours away but do able... One day I hope to come where you all are also.... :-)
I am doing better since hubby went back to work,but we are having some problems with in ourselves.. Will see where this leads... Not going there as of now...LOL to long and I am just tired...
On a happier note... My son the Marine Matt he was pinned this week as a sergant, and we also found out his wife and him are going to have a son... :-) He was so happy... so I will have one of each :-)
Carol thanks for the offer of the room :-) One day I just may take you up on this.....
Ok gonna run to eat dinner now...
Hugs,
Susan

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

Very big congratulations to your son and his expanding family, Susan! I love hearing about new babies, so do keep us posted please. Hope everything else works out for you too. And the invitation is good anytime. :-)

Sure wish someone would make me dinner. lol but I guess I have to go on in there and figure out something to cook too.

carol

Susan, we'll just keep our fingers crossed for the future. I'm like that with the KY one. I wanna go 'sometime'.

Congrats on Sgt. Matt! Makes me feel good when I hear of good things happening for our military guys. A new grandchild will be great! My #4 one is coming the end of May/1st of June.

Have fun at the RU in Virginia! I know you will. I've never been to the Shenandoah Valley -maybe 'some time' I can make on there! :)P

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Susan,

So proud for your son & his family. I just had my 5th grandchild in August, 06. Love them all, but it sure is nice on Sunday afternoons to send them back home. I just took the last 2 home and my ears are still ringing.

I'll keep your family in my prayers and thoughts that everything work out for you. I think everyone handles stress differently. Some people have problems with stress just thinking of a situation, some get 1/2 way thru it and others are bothered more after it's over with. Maybe that's the case now. Post Tramatic Stress. That's what I usually do. Fall to pieces after the storm.

Jeri

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello All,
thank you all for you kind words and prayers.... Jeri I think you hit the nail on the head... I can handle anything when I have to buttttttttt I did really good until the very end then I started losing it.. When Matt went to war the first time I thought I was going to wind up in the crazy house... Then I said this is awful,so went and found me a very good doc to listen to allllll my problems... Matt came home twice from that hell hole and I thank god every day for that..... But I am sure things will work out. It take's two and right now one half is not working...LOLOL
One of these days Carol is going to tell me about that spare room of hers and she will get the shock of her life.... I may show up on her door step.... :-)
Well ladies I have an awful headache so I have been playing with this puter alll day trying to make seed packets... I think from now on I will just wrap the little plastic bags... :-(
Hugs,
Susan

Toone, TN(Zone 7a)

You just come on over Susan. I won't be surprised. I've been entertaining internet firends for years. Just heard from one in seattle yesterday. He and Dennis have become close friends and they talk now more on the phone and email than he and I do. Anyway, he's coming soon to come see the new place and to try DH's home-brewed beer.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Hey Susan La is a great place to visit too. We are having a roundup in June and would love to have you join us. I've got a extra bed too! Keeping you family in prayers. I am elated to hear all of Matt's good news. I hope all the other problems are smoothing out some now that the strike is over. I'm sorry our Christmas swap is over because I really liked talking to my new friends on that thread. Now we are all spread out again.
I got all my bulbs planted. My Clown amaryllis hasn't sent a bloom up yet but the foliage is nice and healthy. I think it will bloom later because I bought several Amaryllis from her and they are lagging behind in bloom from my others. This way I will still be having blooms when the others are done. I will post a picture when it blooms so you can see your sweet gift. Cindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.