Time to vote! Choose your favorite images in our annual Photo Contest HERE

Micro dermabrasion...is it as bad as they say?

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

I know absolutely nothing about Micro dermabrasion,
but would like to know more about it. Have any of you had
such a procedure? Would you do it again?

Thanks for your experience and input.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I had it done by my physician. She is the one who helped pull me out of a hole of fatigue etc. So after losing some weight and feeling better for some time now I splurged. It is not uncomfortable. If I were loaded $$$ I would do it again. My pores and aging and health had taken its toll on me.

Thornton, IL

Details please, like did it shrink your pores? Does it hurt? How much does it cost?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Well, it was a package deal for $500 and I had 6 treatments or I could have had $100 per. I would check around because it may be cheaper elsewhere. More and more people are offering it now so the prices may be more competitive. It is NOT painful. Kind of like a tough rough facial scrub that you can buy in a jar. Some people may call it discomfort but I don't. After all the treatments I can tell a diff. There is something else out there I just saw in this AM's newspaper and included some sort of facial peel. I can tell the diff in my skin. You know there is a home type machine of the same thing I have seen ad's for. I originally asked my MD for a referrel for a laser treatment thinking that is what I needed and she told me I did not need that and a microdemabrasion would help.
I probably could not have afforded the laser anyway.

Thornton, IL

Well what is the difference? I have a few large pores and some whiteheads. I have worry lines on my forehead, they are very noticeable ( to me), although no one can believe I'm 45, they all think I'm at least 10 years younger, I would like to have flawless skin.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

I've only tried the home kit and wasn't to impressed with the results so I'd be interested in going the professional route someday myself...maybe in my 30's.

PraireGirl, I think flawless skin is every woman's wish. I can't believe I have been hit with more acne as an adult than I ever had in high school! Sheesh, it's just not fair. =)

Thornton, IL

Thankfully, I have never had acne, just a few pimples, and not for a long time. I never touch my face, I don't even wash it separately anymore, except of course if I'm covered in dirt.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

There may be sites on line where they show before and after. Or do a consultation to see what they say the diff would be. It is subtle but I can tell. Not sure $500 worth of diff, tho.

Thornton, IL

That is steep, think I'd rather get the haircut/color lift instead, LOL.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Would dermabrasion do something for age spots, too? MMmmmm....sounds interesting....

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

As we age, micro dermabrasion won't really help with the problems that concern many women — crepey, sagging neck skin, the beginning of jowls, etc. I believe it does help with minor flaws such as age spots, irregular skin tone and very fine lines.

A classmate of mine, a man in his early 50's, had a major chemical skin peel done to correct years of sun damage from outdoor sports. This is a much more complex process than micro dermabrasion. For a few weeks he looked like a major burn victim while it healed. It did leave him with fresh, clear skin and no evidence of sun damage, but he still has major squint lines around the eyes and deep lines around the mouth. He felt it was worth it.

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hmm.

I'm not so sure this is what I am after. I'm not looking for a miracle
with flawless skin, but something to clean my face thoroughly, then
a routine with which to go forward.

Clean pores, a better skin tone? Maybe I should just get a facial. LOL
Is there a Hoover for one's face on the market?

:-) KM

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, June, I don't think I could do a major peel, but I thought maybe the dermabrasion would get rid of some of the brown age spots...mmm....

A hoover for the face--LOL--I'm sure there's a market for it!

Thornton, IL

This is all too drastic, a facial sounds nice. First a little steam-cleaning of the pores, then a little tightening action from a refreshing mask, maybe even a little neck massage. Aaaah....

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

A Piña Colada whilst we wait, yes?

Thornton, IL

oh yes, that would be purrrfect.

Lansdale, PA(Zone 7a)

Borghuese (found in department stores) makes a product which I find to be very comparable to microdemabrasion in a jar. I have tried it. I have also had microdermabrasion. If your face is sensitive (as my face is) microdermabrasion may hurt a little. I have found the granules in the Borghese products to feel quite the same as the professional service, but a lot cheaper. Definately something to try!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, get a facial. That way the esthetician can help determine what route of exfoliation enzyme, peel, micro derm, hydroxy acids, laser etc. will be better for your skin condition and goals. Some states do not allow estheticians to do certain peels or micro derm, some do and some allow them to do them under a Dr. supervision so ask questions first. Also not everyone is a candidate for micro derm, you may make an appt. to have it done but after a consultation another option may be better for your skin.

Technology is getting better all the time and as we age exfoliation is one of the key areas to address. It helps to visit the salon/office, ask questions, prices, get a brochure even ask for a tour to see the facility. Become an educated client and you and your skin will benefit. Ask questions, if something doesn't sound right speak up!!

Also, sunscreen should be your best friend every morning rain or shine, winter or summer it doesn't matter; put it on! Don't forget your neck, chest, arms and back of the hands.

OK, off my soapbox - LOL
-Kim
Esthetician

Hulbert, OK(Zone 7a)

Hello Kim,

What a great response, thank you so much!

Will definitely heed your advice and suggestions. Thank you
for your wonderful reply!

:-) Karen Marie

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

You are welcome Karen Marie! Any time. I don't usually read this forum but I happened to see your question while poking around - you know how it is! Feel free to dmail with any questions - not a problem.

Did I mention wearing sunscreen?? LOL

-Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.