Echinacea cuttings

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

I purchased a purple coneflower recently and managed to break off the flower stalk on the way home. The plant itself is doing well in the garden. The flower stalk, with quite a few healthy leaves on it, I stuck in potting mix that I keep damp and is still looking pretty good after a couple of weeks. Any chance of it rooting like this? It's just sitting in my kitchen window.

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

I've seen a rudbeckia try to root and then die. the hormones/chemicals for rooting arent found in big quantities in flowering stems.

Mark

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

So I guess I won't be surprised if it doesn't work. But what the heck, it doesn't hurt to try.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Mark, you were entirely correct. It held on for a long time, then gave up. I wonder if rooting hormone would have helped. Oh well, the one in the garden busily sent up new shoots around the base, so next year should be good.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Janet... I saved seeds from my first echinacea cones. The next spring I put them in a bag of damp sand and refrigerated for 4 weeks, and then planted. 95% germination, and today (2 seasons later) they are tall, fully mature plants! Good luck!!!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

No fear, Darius, I'll be working on seeds! I've seen some growing wild in a field, so I won't even have to wait for mine!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.